True Blue Farmgirl

72 Posts

Amber
Hurley MO
USA
72 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:06:10 PM  Show Profile
Hello, all -
It's been forever since I have been able to get on this website, but I'm glad to be back! I noticed this topic right away. I love reading about heirloom seeds/veggies/flowers. I live close to Mansfield, MO and have the May festival on my calendar! I also have been wearing out the pages of my Baker's Creek catalog. I haven't put my order in yet...but soon! There's so much to pick from I can't narrow it down. I also got a McMurray Poultry catalog, so that got me a bit distracted.
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:13:00 PM  Show Profile
Welcome to the Mavens Heaven Amber, it is fun to have you here with us.
Which zone are you in ? Are you going to have a vegetable garden or a mix with flowers too ?
Let us know what you want to order and maybe some of us will be able to share with you. I have mostly french heirloom vegetables, carrots, cabbage, leeks.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hi Amber, welcome back, so glad that you are here.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:18:10 PM  Show Profile
Corinne Thank you so much I have wanted to have these in my planting for some time.

Thank You again.
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:21:43 PM  Show Profile
Diana they sew themself back every year, my mom has so much of them in the garden but I like the little purple flowers, they announce spring.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  2:57:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lanna

This is just c&p'd from my blog, but I thought you gals might get a kick out of last night's escapade.

Last night the girl and I went to Home Depot. I'm on the hunt for peat moss and compost. So after running in and out of the outdoor garden space at Home Depot, a middle-aged man - in an orange apron, not a random person - asks me if there's something specific I'm looking for. Yup, a small bag of peat moss. He waves me over to that aisle and walks off to go chat with his other aproned buddy.

I get to where he waved, and sure, it's peat moss. Poisoned peat moss. Aka, peat moss "enhanced" with Miracle Grow. Ugh. I was sorely tempted to go up to the guy and his buddy and as if he had any non-poison peat moss. But alas, good manners won out (plus I had the babe with me) so I just perused the seed racks and went home. Guess I'll be calling my local farm & home store and just wait for them to get their - non-poison - stuff in, hoping it's before seed starting time.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys

Lanna you might check to see if they can get you coconut coir instead of peat moss. I know we all love our peat moss, but it truely is one of those very limited resources.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:17:10 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Contrary Wife
Lanna you might check to see if they can get you coconut coir instead of peat moss. I know we all love our peat moss, but it truely is one of those very limited resources.

I may have seen the coco coir somewhere, but I can't remember anymore. I'm still acidifying our blueberry bed though, so it's not like a bale would go to waste you know? And really, all I need for seedstarting is maybe 2-4 quarts of fluffed up stuff so it's light enough for the seedlings to push through. If you know someone up here or in the valley that has it (I detest going to Spokane's northside, Division makes me... well, it's not pretty), please do let me know. I need an excuse to get over there and return some things to Old Navy and drool at the restaurant supply store that's on Trent or Sprague...

I've done the cheap albeit organic potting soil before (uh, yeah, don't), the Black Gold Seedling mix (never dried out - it tried to water log my seedlings because I dared water them every 3-5 days), etc. I've certainly done my share of bizarre things the last few years, that's for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Lanna, there is a place down in Palouse that has real organic potting soil. Don't remember the specifics...........

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:28:15 PM  Show Profile
hey karen, I hope I do this right....if not the jennifer heer quote was on pathtofreedom.com..ok, here goes http://pathtofreedom.com/resources/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=137&Itemid=66
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:30:54 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Contrary Wife

Lanna, there is a place down in Palouse that has real organic potting soil. Don't remember the specifics...........

In the town or just the area? I could probably send my mom on a road trip if need be, I'm just hoping to stick closer to home.

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:38:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow - where to start, just like the old days before the holiday craziness!!
Annika - good to hear your voice
Corinne - I am so glad it sounds like we will meet in Paris!!
Lanna and Teresa Sue and Rene - I read about someone in Walla Walla doing something called "repeat" - a sustainable peat-moss type thing, sounds cool. Also Lanna, I have found organic stuff at NW Seed and Pet in Spokane.
Diana - I love money plants, my grandma had them in her backyard, glad Corinne had seeds - I think I have seen them from Botanical Interests too
Ruth - off to check out your haircut
Marcy Jo - good to hear from you too
Karen, Dawn everyone else, I love you all!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Heirloom Mavens Badge Badger
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:44:55 PM  Show Profile
ok, think i did it right...then I found another interesting site, now I'll have to go back and get that one, too.....wheeeeewh!!! Have has a busy day.....with the weather being sunny and 75 here today, it felt like real spring, and I was overcome with a sense of renewal and cleansing....so I went hard and heavy on some spring cleaning this am....4 loads of laundry line drying, going through kids clothes (instead of goodwill, i'll save them for Farmgirls on the Loose) and kids toys......demo-ed half of the closet in my new travel trailer...yada yada yada...then around lunch it hit me that I wanted to go to library but don't have a card yet oh....that was/is a mess!!! And out of the 3 libraries in our county, only 1 had AVM!!...and luckily it was in....Not 1 of them has any MJ books (went through that in OK, too), none have S2S or Seeds of Change.....and out of the two I went to, the gardening sections were....well, to put it nicely.....TINY!! Also had that prob in my last library!!! For over a year I have been wanting to get my hands and eyes on anything by Amy Goldman...I LOVE pumpkins, squash and all things melon!!!! and guess what?......yep.....none of them had anything by her, or even Lee Riech.....urggg!!!! I know , i know, I can do a loan, but that will take a week to even come in.....just have to be patient....hahaha, yeah right!!! but, good news is.....I got this one that I think is going to be right up the mavens alley, so let me browse through and read it for a day or so and I'll let ya'll know!! And i have to admit, I can concider myself lucky that i got to check out AVM, because I've had it on my wish list for a while!! I also got a howard Garrett book that i have never read. Have any of ya'll heard of him? I jst love him!!! It is called Herbs for Texas, and I just can't wait.......I feel so sorry for my hubby the next few nights!!!.....LOL.....Kelley
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Totally lost my last post - take 2:

Corinne, since Diana posted about the money plant I couldn't get them out of my mind. How amazing is it that you have those?! What I remember most is the sound they made after they dried on the plant and the wind would blow through.

Marcy, congrats on the seed order! Ain't it fun?

Amber, hello from another Missouri maven! Hubby and I are planning to go to the Baker Creek Spring Festival so we'll get to meet there. How exciting is that (for me)? Pretty durn excitin'! In fact, we were there just a week ago for the first time. We had already placed orders with Seed Savers Exchange but went to Baker Creek to pick up what we wanted and to see Bakersville. It was so much fun. Have you been there before or will this be your first time? And Emilee Gettle is a farmgirl - thanks to Rene'!

TS, thanks for the coconut coir suggestion. I saw a thing on TV the other day about peat moss from a sustainability point of view but they didn't give any alternatives.

Kelley, thanks for the link. Getting ready to try it now..........

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:48:06 PM  Show Profile
Shoot - will have to post later. DH just came in we are going on a date!!!!!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:54:47 PM  Show Profile
Oh, my gosh~the wind is blowing like crazy here. I'm sitting here just hearing it whip things around. At least, I am warm and comfy.

I ordered my seeds today. I can't wait for them to come in.

I am so fortunate that we have a huge lending library system here. I can get almost any book I request and they bring it to the library of my choosing. I am spoiled with that.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Oh my, Amy Grace, what a choice - a date with your husband or chat with the mavens. Tough call.............

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  3:59:53 PM  Show Profile
Yeah - I know. He is in the shower so I'm stealing a couple more minutes:)
We are going to see a bluegrass-y band, there aren't very many live music events in our city that we are interested in so we try to hit the ones there are
Amy Grace
oops - he's out, gotta go

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  4:02:37 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
AG, I love bluegrass music - so country, so heritage-y. Enjoy it for me too.

KELLEY, I GOT MORNING GLORY SEEDS FROM YOU!!! I didn't put 2 and 2 together until right now. Well, at least I didn't get 4 until right now. I'm famous for putting 2 and 2 together and getting anything but. This is so cool! I had maven seed from you before you were a maven. Happy dancing here!

Back to Amy Grace, have a blast tonight, girl - you deserve it.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  4:07:48 PM  Show Profile
Amy Grace~have a great time with your husband.

Kelley~I think I sent you Victoria magazines. Did you get them? Or was it something else~kid's books and ME mags~I think. Did you get them? I think you're the same Kelley.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  4:14:42 PM  Show Profile
AG I hope you enjoy your evening.. I like Bluegrass too.. It's fun to get out & spend time with DH isn't it? Now you behave & no neckin' in the driveway!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  4:20:46 PM  Show Profile
oh....hey ruth,,,,that was me...that is you!!!!! No, haven't gotten anything....and shoot, shoot, shoot.....went to town today, and forgot your mags and melanies mag!!!! Ok.....I promise they will go out this saturday....i have to help my mom pack, and I will not forget them!!!!! Yay karen....glad u got the seeds....
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  4:26:49 PM  Show Profile
I hope you get them soon. I think I sent it almost two weeks ago. I hope it's not lost.
Ruth

Go to Top of Page

soapmommy60543
True Blue Farmgirl

2197 Posts

Ann
Oswego IL
USA
2197 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  4:39:23 PM  Show Profile
Can I brag about 1 of my kids?

My kids really "get it" when it comes to growing your own food, heirloom varieties and lots of other environmental stuff. Anyway, had a super cool moment today (gave me goosebumps) when we got our seeds that I bartered for with Karen (LW4Y). She was sweet and sent us some of the Hidatsa beans. These beans are almost too pretty to plant. They would make great beads for all you jewelry makers!

So, after hearing how Lewis and Clark probably ate some of these beans on their great adventure, and how the beans are now in danger of extinction, DD (age almost 12) said that we should grow all the beans we received, then give beans to all our friends so that they can grow them, too, to keep the variety from disappearing. We have some very hip friends, and I have a feeling that if we follow DD's plan, these friends would be happy to oblige.

Ok, so I'm done bragging about my junior farmers. Just had to share...

Ann in Oswego
http://suburbanprairiehouse.wordpress.com

Times may be tough, but farmgirls are tougher!

Craft Fasting since October 21, 2008
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  4:44:12 PM  Show Profile
ooohhh....that is a long time.....but i'll keep my eyes open, will go check again tommorow, and Promise not to forget your mags!!!!

Dawn...I need your help....My rooster has to go in the stew pot ASAP .....he attacked me and my lab tonight....woudn't back down either....went on for 6 or 7 minutes i'd say....my lab was sooo scared....and she weighs 103 lbs...sad, huh? Anyhow....what breed has good gentle roosters?? Poor Speckles is goingto be all by herself now.....but I can't have him acting that way,he's just gotten worse over the last 2 weeks!! Kinda gld I hdn't put in my order at Meyer yet, got too distracted with travel trailer....lol...but I need to...one egg a day isn't enough for us! anywhoo...if you have any suggestions let me know...thanks!

Amy Grace---lucky you, I love bluegrass, and dates with my hubby.....just haven't had one in forever....lol....enjoy!!!
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  4:46:10 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
ANN, YOU CAME!!!! And you got the seeds! I told hubby that I'd love to just grow beans because the seeds are so pretty.

Wow! Ann's here! I can go to bed and have sweet dreams now......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

'Night, Ralph..........mornin', Corinne..............hugs to ALL the mavens..........

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page