Page: of 217

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:04:39 PM  Show Profile
good morning Mavens, so sorry I've missed the chat and the fun. Dawn, I just answered your question about your fur baby but the girls got it right and I hope he is okay.
Karen, so sorry you didn't get the email, watch out now I am sending the new list of "getting to know you" so we know more about Kelley and Amanda. that is getting real fun now and cacketing.
Amanda, what are the things you are collecting ? This line is missing in your answers and we are such a bunch of happy collectors here.
tina that is wonderful, congratulations.
Hope you are feeling better, being sick with yound kids at home is no fun at all, get well soon.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:25:09 PM  Show Profile
If any of you needs a confirmation about your growing zone, please check this;
http://www.garden.org/zipzone/
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:30:57 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl ~ Oh, I always get excited when I meet a potential friend. It's just like dating to some degree. And I sucked at dating, honestly. So it sometimes gets tricky. *sigh* I wish I could've had lunch at your house today. I had frozen (and then baked) taquitos - hubby took the boys to Costco for lunch. He had to go there for work anyway, so just did a multi-purpose trip.

Hey, did I ever fill out that questionnaire thingie or did I get distracted by poopy diapers and forget about it?

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:58:28 PM  Show Profile
Lanna, I never got it back for you, do you want me to send it again so you'd just have to fill up the answers ?
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  11:05:58 PM  Show Profile
I've jsut emailed you Lanna.
Cheryl it is so nice to find a new friend, I am very happy for you.
When we move to France in a few days or a week, I will get to meet again Nance in France, we'd live 6 hours away and she came over to meet me at my paren'ts last august, we had a great time.
And I am so wanting to meet Amy Grace next month in Paris, it will be like holding a bit of each of you Mavens.
My husband is all for it so we will go to Paris for 2 days just for the occasion.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  05:36:37 AM  Show Profile
Mavens~I don't have alot of time this morning. The kids have coop classes. I cut my hair really short. I put pics on my blog if anyone wants to see. I will be back later to chat and catch up.

Welcome!! Kelley!! Can't wait to get to know you better.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  06:41:00 AM  Show Profile
"Anytime I think about heirloom ANYTHING, I think about genetic diversity (of course). There are all these genes in a plant, and some you like and some you don't and some you have no idea what they do because they are "quietly" important. Important in ways we don't know. If we let some herbs "fall out of favor" and push them to the side or even go EXTINCT, we are losing something that we can't find again and LATER it might be important, medicinally, for drought tolerance, for pest tolerance, etc. It's like fighting to save the world's endangered species, only it's not species, it's GENES and we can't even describe them yet so that makes it even harder." > Jennifer Heer, Genetic Research Assistant North Carolina State University .....When I read that a GRA at a major college put her thoughts out there so plainly and in a langage that we can all understand, and kept it short an sweet,..I was impressed...Kelley

Edited by - farmmommy on Feb 12 2009 06:42:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  07:02:50 AM  Show Profile
Good morning ruth, i'll hav to check ot your new "do"..lol...Hey, ya'll,I still have plenty of Morning Glory and sage seed left over if any o ya'll are iterested....thanks, Kelley
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  08:53:15 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Kelley, you are amazing! The grad student quote about losing genetic information - genius. I use Young Living essential oils because they're 100% therapeutic grade, meaning most of them can be applied directly to your skin or taken internally (like I did this morning for my majorly upset insides that kept me running to the bathroom - okay, tmi). Ever think about why you can chew a peppermint leaf but most EO's say not to ingest it? It's basically in the distillation process. A lot of companies use solvents and there ya go.........

Anyways, the healing power in plants is incredible. No wonder God put Adam and Eve in a garden. There are stories of civilizations that were healthy until industries came in and cleared out their trees in the name of progress. This just bring up the point again that what we're doing here is hugely important.

So, again, Kelley, you and all the other mavens - day old or months old - are invaluable to the cause. Let's get to work.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Feb 12 2009 08:53:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  09:04:35 AM  Show Profile
hey ya'll... i'm peeking in from work... sounds like all the newbies and oldies are gettin along swell. I can't wait to get home and check my emails and stuff. Yes, lotsa pics will be taken... my blog is completely down otherwise I'd load pics up on that for your perusal. I did just load 12 new pics on tina's stliving.net. Theres a few of you that I'm not friends with yet...big pout. I can't invite, cuz my email addy is not the norm. Any idea who i can contact at blogger to get that mess figured out? I cannot even access it thru work.
You girls are great. We rock!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  09:05:08 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone, I've been absent due to a sick dad and too much work around the farm.
My dad had his PET scan yesterday to see what is up with the mass that they found in his lung and we are waiting for results. So, I've been away a lot.Praying that my dad is okay, will update when I know something.

Just wanted to let you all know that you girls all ROCK! you are a kick in the pant and I've loved the light hearted can-do attitude, as well as the sassy attitude in all of the posts, they are really fun to read and I can't wait to meet every one of you!

Hugs all 'round and a big welcome to the new Mavens and those that have posted and are interested in the Heirloom movement. Hello! Welcome!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  09:21:30 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens!!!! You guys crack me up!!!! I love laughing with you guys!!!! Dawn I can only imagine the cat incident!!!

Karen---I am here darling!!! Keeping up with those two will be a full time job...we will have to take turns for potty breaks and such!!!!

Corinne--I live in zone 5b thank you for the link and the birthday present you are truly wonderful!!!!!!

Annika--my prayers are with you and your dad

Ruth--your new do looks great!!!!!!

I just ordered horseradish from Heirloom Acres Seed and tried to order my spring garden seeds from Bakers Creek but the card wouldnt go through so I will call them when I am done here!! I am afraid that if I wait too long I wont get my heirlooms!!!

Cheryl can you make my lunch????? yours sounded so much better than mine and I dont even know what mine is yet????

Good thing I checked in today---oh man so much chatting........its in the air and who better to chat with than the Mavens!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  09:48:22 AM  Show Profile
WARNING!!!!!!!!! Marcy Jo- Do understand that Horseradish WILL take over. We learned this the hard way! A few years ago we planted some in a whiskey barrel in the garden, it was so prolific that it busted throught the bottom of the barrel and took root in the garden. We dug out what we could (it se i pretty deep) and had a hard winter that year. Thinking that would take care of it. Nope if you leave just one tiny root it will re-start its self! It is multiplying faster than rabbits here. When you plant it make sure it is in a container placed on cement.

Morning Girls! Sounds like you all had quite the party here yesterday, I tried to jump in a few times but kept getting drug away before I could post. Nice to see all the newbies- WELCOME!

Annika- Nice to hear from you, hope you get good news about your dad.

Corinne- I am in zone 7b. Thank you for keeping the "who is who" list up to date.

Thinking about all of you- I am off to get some work done.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  09:52:58 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Thanks for the info!!! DH loooovvveeessss the stuff but I dont want it to take over the yard!!!!! I will plan accordingly!!!

Marcy #257

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  09:54:49 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Tina----I hope you are feeling better!!!

Marcy #257

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  10:43:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey ladies any body have Garlic chives in the garden or a plant I was told called Silver dollar I think the real name is Lunaria. I would love some seeds for the spring or next fall the money plant is a bush with a pod of sorts round like a silver doller with a couple seeds inside that when you rub them the will come apart and the seeds will fall out and reseed them selves. They look really neat dried. Any ideas.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  10:52:52 AM  Show Profile
Marcy Jo, come on over. I can throw something together..
I just got inside from feeding the "girls" and making a few minor repairs to their studio.. apparently the "stadlings" bless their hearts have found a perfect spot to get into the Studio.. Not anymore.. Dh helped me patch the holes. They will have to find thier own home now..
Yesterday was a good day, not only because I had Gail over for lunch but I Got my Carrots Love Tomatoes Book. finally and started reading it. How is everyone else doing on it? I have read about two chapters.. It's going to be a huge help come planting time. I had no idea what to plant with what..( providing I get to ever plant.) we are expected to get 3-6 inches more snow...tonight.. But the sun sure is shining brightly out.. I hope the forcast is Wrong.
Gail Is planning on coming to the BBB with me.. I am so excited to meet some of you and she will certainly be nice to have along on the 9 hour drive...whaoooooooooooo cant wait.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Feb 12 2009 11:15:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  11:05:43 AM  Show Profile
This is just c&p'd from my blog, but I thought you gals might get a kick out of last night's escapade.

Last night the girl and I went to Home Depot. I'm on the hunt for peat moss and compost. So after running in and out of the outdoor garden space at Home Depot, a middle-aged man - in an orange apron, not a random person - asks me if there's something specific I'm looking for. Yup, a small bag of peat moss. He waves me over to that aisle and walks off to go chat with his other aproned buddy.

I get to where he waved, and sure, it's peat moss. Poisoned peat moss. Aka, peat moss "enhanced" with Miracle Grow. Ugh. I was sorely tempted to go up to the guy and his buddy and as if he had any non-poison peat moss. But alas, good manners won out (plus I had the babe with me) so I just perused the seed racks and went home. Guess I'll be calling my local farm & home store and just wait for them to get their - non-poison - stuff in, hoping it's before seed starting time.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  12:45:58 PM  Show Profile
I ordered my seeds from SSE~Yeah! I am so excited. You have all been a little chatty. I am trying hard to catch up. This week has been so busy. I am so happy that I can just stay home tomorrow.

Dawn~boy I will be crocheting all kinds of animals and on earmuffs too. I guess I would need to be super busy. They are cute ideas. I will have to see what I come up with. Right now I'm working on ribbon scarves for my mom and some ladies she works with.

I'm only on page 284~slow poke. Everyone is revving and getting so much done. I feel behind. I am so hoping to make it to Spring Fling but can't say for sure yet. Still working on it. Won't give up.
I so want chickens and am going to call our zoning board to see if they're allowed. I have some horrible neighbors and I know that they would cause trouble so I need to make sure it's ok first. I am so hoping it is. Fresh eggs~

I would love to rent some fruit trees. That would be so great. I have to look if there is a CSA in this area. I'm not sure where to look it up.

Welcome~Amanda~can't wait to get to know you.

Corrine~thank you for the updated lists. That is so sweet of you.

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  12:49:04 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Catch up time ~

Tina, congrats on the feature! Hope you're feeling more like yourself today.

Corinne, the "Getting to Know You" e-mail with K & A's info made it to my mailbox. The one with Amanda's birthday, etc. still hasn't shown up. Would you please resend it?

Ruth, you are so cute! And the hairstyle looks wonderful on you. It will be so much easier to take care of, I'm sure.

Annika, so good to hear from you, sweetie. Praying continue to go up here for your family. Hang in there and we'll be here waitin' for ya - 24/7/365.

Marcy, "who better" is right. When we're on fire, we're on FIRE!

Diana, money plant! I know exactly the one you mean. I can picture it growing where my mom planted it along the fence at our old house. Unfortunately I don't remember it making the move up the hill as we don't have one here. I'll try to find one too and maybe we can share seed if we track it down.

Cheryl, snow is in your forecast, rain is in ours. Result: two muddy mucky gardens. I'm getting ready to lay back down and read some CLT. I've been so engrossed in Michael Pollan that I've neglected the book club. So sorry! I would have been reading Seed to Seed this morning except hubby took it to work (did I post that already?). It seems we're going to have the same issue with S2S as we did with AVM. Hopefully by the time it becomes a book club selection, he'll be busy in the garden and I can grab it for myself.

Lanna, next time you're in Home Depot, you could give 'em a little education. I would say that could be why they're going out of business but Lowes has 'issues' too. When I went in there last year looking for diatomasceous (sp?) earth, they didn't know what it was. When I explained, she said, "That sounds really good, something we should probably have on hand." You can be proud of me - I did NOT roll my eyes.

Off to do more reading.......

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  12:51:18 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
P.S. Ruth, your seeds will be in the mail tomorrow.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  1:05:36 PM  Show Profile
thank you, Karen~I will send you yours as soon as I get them from SSE.

Thanks for the compliments on the new do. It was getting to be a pain to take care of.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  1:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Mavens, I just got back from mailing out the Lynn Coulter Book Plates and book marks here is the list of mailees; if your name isnt on the list, and you are wanting a book plate and a book mark from Lynn PLEASE email me, I have a few more, and will keep mailing them out until they are gone.
Lillian C
Sue F
Brenda S
Corinne B
Denise T
Marcy P
Ruth E
Dalyn W
Annika W
Diane P
Cheryl S
Lora R
Alee R
Amy Grace C
Teresa Sue H
Dawn Mc
Karen W
Tina W

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  1:38:02 PM  Show Profile
Diana and Karen, I have this silver dollar seeds you are talking about. when I arrive in France, give me a few days of settling in and the seeds will be on their way to both of you.
Karen am sending the address list over right now.
I cannot sleep it is why I am still here.
Annika, praying for your dad. Please do not worry too much, it takes a big toll on us and doesn't change anything. Sweet sister all will be alright.
Thanks Rene, I've changed my address on the list and now I only have the new the french one. Many thanks to Lynn and yourself for this great gift.
I was so sad yesterday when we sold my little black Pajero, I couldn't take the bumper sticker farmgirl with the apron off because Raymond was worried the paint would peel off with it.
Rene, if you ever come across one could you please send it over toe me as well ?
Many thanks in advance.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Feb 12 2009 1:39:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2009 :  1:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Just a quick stop and check before I pick up DH from work!!!! I called Bakers Creek and my order was placed!! Yiipppee!!!! I only ordered the stuff I can plant asap and will order the rest soon!! At least I will be able to get started!! I gotta runn to the Henhouse--lost Dawns rodeo bar recipe and want to make more!!!! See ya later gals!!!

Marcy #257

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page