farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  8:27:31 PM  Show Profile
Hello there mavens...I don't want to intrude, but is this where I just jump in and introduce myself, or do I need to go somewhere else first??? If it is ok that I just jump in, I'd love to because I have a question about an endangered seed/plant...so let me know, and if I need to register and or pay somewhere first, I'll be glad to...thanks, Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  8:51:19 PM  Show Profile
Welcome Kelley, it is good to have you on board. Please jump in and let us help you if we can.
Nothing to do really to become a Maven, just drop a line introducing yourself and please send me an email with your info, name, address, telephone number is you accept to share it and birth date (no year if you do not feel like it). I will add your info to the list and will send it to everybody, you included.
What is your planting zone by the way ?
Looking forward to see you in Mavenland,
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  9:34:03 PM  Show Profile
Yeah, I've recently had a few people asking me about how to start a garden or how to plant this or that when they learn I'm a gardening freak...
One gal had everybody she talked to tell her how difficult gardening was (double-digging, weeding, watering, blah blah blah). I told her just plant some strawberries there [in her yard], mulch if you can, and try to remember to water them. It can be as difficult or complicated as she wants it to be.

What just cracks me up is that I'm only going on my 4th year of growing things - my second/third year in as full-production as I can get with my yard. A year or two ago I was just freaking out about how on earth I was going to feed my 3 kids and hubby on our food budget without having to forgo gas for the cars (not an option here) or not paying the electric bill and so on. Because my kids are only going to get bigger with bigger appetites, God willing. So I was just trying to gear up for that, and just kept going. Heck, if I end up with 400lbs of asparagus a year, I'm totally going to hang a shingle out front to sell it... kind of one of my ideas of how to supplement our household income in the future when the kids aren't as needy and can help out more.

I'm also guilty of wanting to stick a chicken coop in my yard. But there's just not enough room. Luckily my backyard neighbor (the very one that's letting me go at her garden this year!) also has an unused chicken coop so if next year I'm up for taking care of chickens year round by then (never dealt with chickens before, talk about new territory), I've also got permission to use that, too. I'd just have to give her eggs or chickens in return.
Don't know that I have the cajones to butcher chickens, but I never thought I'd homebirth kids, either. Just depends on what the situation calls for I suppose.

Hi Kelley! I jumped in randomly a while back. They don't bite, or at least they haven't yet.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  9:51:21 PM  Show Profile
Congratulation Marcy Jo on a bunch of new badges, you are doing so great, you truly honor the farmgirl spirit.
And I've seen your farmerettes are doing great too, houra to you all.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  05:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, mavens, Kelley included! Welcome, farmgirlfriend, you're at the right spot for asking those questions. We may not have the answer right away but together we'll find it. So ask away - what's your question?

Lanna, after going back and forth about getting chickens this year or next year, we've decided to jump in and get them this year. I'm sacrificing my wonderful junkin' shed to have wonderful chickens - eggs only for now. If we get some for meat, someone else will probably have to do the dirty work. It will end up being a studio like Cheryl's, maybe even with curtains! No wallpaper - I'm not a wallpaper farmgirl.

Marcy, congratulations in advance! I'm heading over now to see what you and your farmerettes have earned.

Later....I'm back and Marcy, you rocked it out, girlfriend! Better watch your back though. It looks like Hannah's gonna give you a run for the badges. Go, Hannah, go!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Feb 11 2009 05:53:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  05:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Corinne, good morning and thanks for getting the new maven list to us.

Kelley, that was quick and we're so glad to have you on board!!!

Gotta admit I got a bit teary-eyed as I scrolled down the list. My, how the seeds we've planted have grown!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  05:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Welcome Kelly, my, my, my, but we are growing aren't we!

Yes, Corinne, you do an absolutely awesome, astounding, job keeping track of all of us Putting the zones on the Maven list was brilliant!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Feb 11 2009 06:00:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  06:45:30 AM  Show Profile
Good morning, and thank you all for the warm welcome....
Lanna, I know what you mean about the part where you said when the kids won't be soo neeedy!!! Two seasons ago, as well as last year, it was so hard for me to do anything in the garden becuase of my baby boy!!! I would even put his exersaucer out in the garden with me, but that didn't work, because anytime I turned my back or walked 5 ft away from him......he'd scream himself into a hissy....but alas....he's 2 1/2 years old now, and not near as needy....I can finally get more than 5 ft away from him now without breaking his heart!!

As for my question.....I have been interested in heirlooms for about the last 4 years now....and a little on the obsessed side for almost 2 yrs....but everthing i know, i have had to learn myself, through the library, blah, blah...so I still don't come close to knowing everything there is to know....So,.....I moved here just 2 months ago, and as I was calling around asking businesses if I could flyers up for a MJF farmgirl chapter, I ended up calling a local feed store, and it ended up being a 40 minute conversation with the owner, his name was Brandon....yadayadayada....He got to telling me that he didn't sell hardly any "organic" stuff, but would like to start, and that as far as he knew, he only had one customer that did their farming organically...then when I mentioned MaryJanes Farm, he got all into it, asking me question after question (yes, a man did this!!!) So, of course heirlooms got mentioned, and he asked me "So, who classifies a plant/seed as endangered? Is there a list somewhere that the public can use?" it was such a good question, and I didn't have an answer for him....just goes to show how little I actually now about an area that I'm so interested in.....So, can any of you answer this for Brandon and I????

P.s....this guy was a HOOT!! he told me that it sounded like MJF is right up his alley.....cute, huh? So, of course I asked him to start selling the mag there....And he in turn asked that I come into his store and make some suggestions on some organic fertilizers and such that he should start stocking!!! It was great to see that someone was truley interested in something that he admitted to knowing nothing about, mainly because his farming customers don't pactice organic methods. So hopefully, even if it's only a few, more small scale farmers in this area will start down an organic path when they see that their fertilizer source is starting to "venture over to the other side".....I'll keep my fingers crossed!!! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  06:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Kelly, part, a big part of what we are all about is the education of people, ourselves included. I don't know if you have read the whole DOE thread, but amoung all our everyday "stuff" we are really committed to heirlooms and every now and then it really dawns on us just what a job we have undertaken. It is a huge responsiblity to be informed as much as we can so we don't come off as a bunch of nuts. Well,.....okay we are nuts, lol, but not about the Heirloom Seeds, lol So rock on!
Hey, where is Winnsboro? Just curious, I had kin in Texas before it was Texas.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Feb 11 2009 06:53:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  06:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh Corinne! Just had to ask, when you translated that cool French birthday wish from Karen, did you do it with a Missouri accent?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:04:33 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Talk about coming full circle! Rene's initial post that started this whole thread was about endangered food. She had a link to Slow Food USA (you can go to page 1 to get that link). On the home page there, you will see several lists, one that includes the title "Endangered Foods." TA DA! Under that click on US Ark of Taste or just click on this handy link that will take you there: http://www.slowfoodusa.org/index.php/programs/details/ark_of_taste/ Now go crazy and keep us posted.

I am so glad you are here! Since we don't have animals - yet - and have only been organic - not heirloom - oriented to this point, I totally forgot about feed stores. What a great place to get and share information! Once I figure out a place to meet I'm going to dive in and get a farmgirl chapter started here. Then it's off to the feed stores and slappin' up some posters!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:21:39 AM  Show Profile
hey karen, ...duh!!!! I have alrady been to the slowfoodUSA link, but didn't see all of that ...where was my head that day?? As far as my chapter I'm TRYING to start, I knewthat since I was new to the area, and no one would know me, that I should have the first meeting in a public place, so the Oaklea Mansion (a huge, beautiful B&B) is letting me have it there, and then at the meeting, hopefully there will be enough interested women that REALLY want to be a part of this, and maybe give suggestions on places to have our meetings...I'm just so nervous that there won't be a very high level of interest around here. I have seen where there have been other chapters started in this area of Texas, but they aren't active anymore....that was a big bummer for me when I moved here...then, just in the last 2 weeks,I've seen that a local farmgirl is active again and posting on here quite a bit, but she isn't responding to my posts or my emails...hmmmmmm....oh well....just means I REALLY have my work cut out for me!!!! and oh, yeah..... Winnsboro is 30 min north of Tyler and about 1 and a half hours straight east of Dallas, like half way between Dallas and the louisiana state line.....Kelley
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:28:58 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Gotta throw this in every once in awhile. Here's a post from day one on the DOE to give a little perspective on how far we've come:

quote:
Originally posted by Annika

We should set up our own farm girl seed savers club. Each one of us can do our part when we can and contribute and share seeds of heirloom and endangered plants...I hope that this makes some sense. I don't know how much interest there would be in it or how to set it up but we can't allow plants to become extinct. That is just wrong.

Annika
Farmgirl sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
http://innermountainmudhens.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoon.wordpress.com/
http://panzymoonsgarden.blogspot.com/

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

DearMildred
True Blue Farmgirl

223 Posts

Amanda
Tulsa OK
USA
223 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:46:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi y'all! Can I join in here? This is a topic I've recently become really interested in, and my first year trying to grow veggies from seed. (Yikes!) It's so exciting to know there's a whole community of heirloom advocates right here under my nose. :D

~~~Amanda in OK~~~

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. ~Will Rogers
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  07:53:09 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
A little research help needed: Does anyone remember reading that the seed catalogs today contain X% fewer varieties than those two decades ago? Also, what percentage of seeds available today are GE?

Looking for a semi-quick answer. Don't spend your morning on this. Just trying to save myself a little time if someone knows the answer already.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:05:12 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Welcome, Amanda! Jump on in - the dirt (hens....scratching....dirt....get it?) is fine. You are so in the right place at the right time. I'm doing some "research" so I'll be in and out here for the morning.

Kelley, the B&B is a great idea! I think someone else mentioned having their first meeting at a B&B but I'd forgotten about it til now. Ya know, until you get your chapter up and running, can join the maven sisterhood so you can post in the henhouse too. Money's tight these days and you don't need to be in the sisterhood to be a maven. But if you have enough egg money, it's a great perk.

Back to the research............

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:09:41 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Kelley and Amanda, numbers are growing:)
Karen - I vaguely remember that Monsanto has their clutches on something like 90% plus of the seed in the country, I don't remember what percentage is GE but I have to assume it is large. I know that it is next to impossible to buy conventional corn that is not a GMO and since there is corn in practically everything......
I don't know the answer to your other question but I was just going to do some re-reading of Michael Pollan, seems like that was something he talked about.
Lanna and Karen - we are getting chickens this year too, I am actually buying some to butcher, not sure if we will do the butchering or find someone. My DH hasn't been able to eat chicken for about 4 years, it makes him sick. My hunch is that it is the junk they put into conventional chickens, even the "organic" chickens at Costco are subject to yucky conditions and they treat the meat with a solution so it will keep longer - how natural is that? Anyway, we want to try homegrown, just to vary our diets.
Dawn - what do you mean you get a day off?? Just kidding - you definitely deserve one, hope you get lots of rest/relaxing/happy time.
It snowed a little here which was discouraging, I don't know about the rest of you but the middle two weeks of February are just about the hardest time of the year for me, Valentine's Day notwithstanding.
Spring is just not getting here fast enough
I thought I might go to the co-op today though, depends on if I can justify driving that far to myself:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:13:36 AM  Show Profile
Karen, I believe tha was in the henhouse.... under oh heck. I can't remember but I will go there in a minute and have a look see.

Talk about teary eyed. Ever since Rene' nominated me for the Mother Hen of this group I've been filled with promise, duty and hope. Even more has been a sense of belonging, commitment and love. I cannot imagine my life without the Mavens or without the sisterhood in general. You all are amazing in your interest, dedication and selflessness. You all make me a better person for knowing you.

NEW MAVENS! Holy Smokes! Kelley, and Kelley. Haha, both of you probaby have witnessed my faux pas in emailing you. I thought I was talking to the same girl. Both of you are from Texas, both with the same name spelling. I apologize if you got more info than you asked for! Oh well, we ARE sisters right?

The Rest of the NEW MAVENS....jump in, pull up a chair and a cuppa tea and learn right along with us. Please read the posts in the henhouse and feel free to email me if you have questions. Some stuff is confusing. For instance, we have taken things in the Maven chapter a step further and have a library full of link info (THANK YOU ANNIKA!) we have a kick butt newsletter that comes out on the Chapter Chatter thread once a week (kudos to Karen), we have gardening folklore courtesy of Lora (farmall chick), and our own lingo. We also have set up our own Maven account. It is a paypal account so that we can purchase seed for our seed bank, or buy t-shirts, or gift someone with a sisterhood membership as Ruth found out! We get monthly reports from Alee. She is really good at helping keep track of our money.

We have bumper stickers that are available to you: $1 for the first one, and then they are $3 each. That way we can get one for ourselves and sell the rest.

We have journals available for $5. To keep track of gardening successes.

We really have a grand group here. And the commraderie is phenomenal. Welcome to ALL!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:13:54 AM  Show Profile
yes Karen, I asked Corinne last night what amount I needed to pay and where to send it to, but dodn't get it, could you tell me?....thanks...btw I'm on Slow Food USA right now, gonna post something very interesting to me on here in a few, but want to do a little more surfing first, sorry, I don't know the answer to your question right now.....

Hey AMANDA!!!! so glad to see that you are interested in this too...did you get the seeds I sent you yet?....Kelley
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:18:39 AM  Show Profile
CHICKENS: I'm not saying I'm an expert by no means, but I DO work at a hatchery. Anyone that has chicken questions, I'd be more than happy to try to help. Besides, ask any maven.... I'm a little obsessed.

Ruth: you need to make chicken hats. OH! That reminds me. I saw these ear muffs once that had a kitty head on one side and the kitty bottom/tail on the other side. Hmmmmm..... I'd give an arm to someone that could make me some piggy ones. They'd be great if you made them to slip over existing earmuffs that you buy in the store. Let me know you're thoughts. Also, until i learn how to crochet/knit (next years project??) I want a bowl cozy. Something I can slip a cereal bowl into so I dont burn my fingy's. Hee hee.. It'd be on the same lines at a hat. Like the owl hat, but smaller.... I could keep someone very busy with my goofy ideas! OH, I want CHICKEN ear muffs!! hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:20:23 AM  Show Profile
Do you new maven honestly realize how much of a dork your MOther Hen is? I feel so sorry for you. Okay, off to plan spring fling stuff......

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:24:43 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Kelley, here's the bottom line:
To be a maven - priceless (i.e. no $$ amount)
To be in the sisterhood - $20 (I believe - you'll need to go to the "how to become a sister" link...wait, let me get it...... http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/farmgirl-sisterhood/ .......yep, $20)
PayPal account: as Dawn mentioned above (probably while you were typing your post) this account is for anything we want to purchase related to the mavens, such as our bumper sticker or journals, or to donate funds to help build the scholarship fund.

Kelley and Amanda, there is an Heirloom Mavens Beginners Guide in the henhouse. I try to keep it updated but things are moving so fast lately I'm a little behind (I wish I had a little behind...but I digress). It should give you a good overview of what we're about, who's who and some help with navigating the coop.

Questions are always welcome and fun to answer. Every single maven/farmgirl here is wonderful and helpful and well, just can't say enough. I'm just so darned excited that y'all are here. Maybe more will follow your trail.........!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:25:30 AM  Show Profile
That's why we love you Dawn:)
I forgot to say "Way to go Marcy Jo" very impressive on the badges!! You are an inspiration to the rest of us.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:27:11 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace and Dawn, thanks for the help! You guys are too cool Most of what is remember is vague too - that's the problem. I'm trying to track down all the statistics that I should have written down when I was reading them but was too excited at the time.

Back to research.........

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Karen - I do the exact same thing. For some reason I think, as I'm reading, that I will remember exactly where to find all of the thousands of bits of random information that I want to hold onto - oh well, re-reading is a worthwhile endeavor too I guess
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page