Page: of 217

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  10:43:08 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens!

I took a bit longer getting here today because the President is in the area! I was listening to his speech and some of the questions from the locals. Didnt get a ticket to attend but the radio and tv and internet were all broadcasting!!!

Last year I did read "Seed to Seed". It was informative but at the time too difficult for a beginner. Now that I understand more, it should be much easier!!!

Dawn- I read somewhere that you can let your chickens clean off your walnuts!! They will scratch at the hulls and do all the dirty work for you. Then just gather them up, quick wash and let them dry. My FIL gets walnuts every fall but his have a nasty aftertaste and I just cant stand them. I havent asked but I dont think he lets them dry long enough! How do yours taste?

I havent read "The Secret Life of Bees" just yet. I saw the movie was out but I want to read the book first. Movies really never do the book justice.

Funny thing-I searched all the local libraries and even the ones up north for the list of books to complete badges and wouldn't you know it! Almost everyone I need is located at the Fort Wayne library!! I can get a card for $30 to let me have access to every library in Indiana and I just might have to do that!! I know there are books that I might want to add to my collection but I like to read them first before spending the money!! (I make the kids do the same with video games!) I think there is an interlibrary loan program I just have to see if they can get them from Ft Wayne!!!

Spring fever is just itching at me!! All my snow is melted but like everyone is has left a yard of muck and mud!! I did dodge a few piles of cat poo to get to the clothesline and am hanging out my sheets today!!!

I havent ordered my seeds yet, plan on doing that tomorrow but it is also grocery day for the critters!! Tonight, however, will be clean up from the weekend!! Dishes and laundry..much rather play in the dirt!!!!

Have a great day everyone!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  11:18:07 AM  Show Profile
Ruth ~ I'm all about ILL's. I finally broke down and bought Root Cellaring and the Ball Complete Book from Amazon after checking each one out of the library 4-5 times. When I get to checking things out 3+ times, I start thinking about buying it for my small collection. It's kind of funny though - the librarians get a kick out of my eclectic taste (I also have a tendency to request in-system books online so they pull them up to the circ. desk for me so if I have kids I don't have to shush them for too long).

Marcy ~ Totally take advantage of the ILL's. It just takes a little longer to get the book since it's on a road trip, and you have to remember to return on time to avoid the higher fees, but it means you're not buying any duds.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  4:16:56 PM  Show Profile
I'm the same way with library books vs. purchasing - I don't want to commit unless I know I really need the book.
Lanna - space cadet Amy Grace left the recipe at work again, will try tomorrow:)
Happy Birthday Corinne!!
Looking like winter again which peeves me, oh well, I guess it is only February 9th.
Just wanted to check in, talk to you later
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  4:51:24 PM  Show Profile
HAppy Birthday Corrine.. Hope it is a great day for you.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  4:54:15 PM  Show Profile
OH gosh, I'm just gonna post real quick here, eat and lie down. I have a monster headache and my eyes are almost swollen shut!

Ruth: I got the hat! Dh laughs at me when I wear it. And he wont walk with me when i wear it in public. I will get your journal out Weds

The Spring Fling is open to everyone. Why not? However, my hubby is gonna disappear. At least at night so we call can crash here and there.
Weekend Rundown:
Friday: bonfire, cookout
Sat: plant sale and visit
Sun: antiquing? Hang out?
Monday: Amish Country
Tuesday: big breakfast and good byes!

Okay, I hope I answered everything. Happy Birthday Corrine. I love you!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  4:58:27 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, I hope you feel better.. Could this be STRESS? Go Eat,,take a nice bubble bath..then put your jammies on & go to bed!

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  5:22:18 PM  Show Profile
Hey to everyone - Happy birthday Corrine.

sorry I haven't been on much. This winter has taken it toll on me for sure. We just had to replace our well pump, jet and connecters. Some dork a couple miles over decided that cutting down trees wasn't much fun so he took down two utility poles, 6 lines and a transformer. We were w/o power for 7.5 hours THEN when the power came back on - it blew the whole pump system. UUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. We didn't realize there was a hole in the bottom of the jet and kept trying to prime the pump. After 30+ gallons of water - we finally realized - - - - hmmmmmmmm must be a hole. We nearly drained the horse tank. We spent all day Sunday putting a whole new system in. I do mean the WHOLE day. We started at 10:30 and finally had water in the house around 9 pm. I think we made 5 trips the Menards for parts and Q&A time with the plumbing department. But on the bright side, I can add replacing an entire deep well system to my farmgirl resume'.
Hey Badge Badger - any badges for that!!?? I have never been so filthy in my entire life. It wasn't good filthy like garden soil - this was nasty smelly slimy black schmootz along with rust and Lord knows what.

We poured bleach in the well to decontaminate it. I felt like I was taking a shower in pool water - gotta love the chlorine smell. At least I am clean!!

I am going to check a web site that Lance heard about on talk radio last night - might be good for us - let you know

See ya

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  5:32:54 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, mavens - just grabbing a minute to say.......

Happy Birthday, Corinne! Have (or hope you had - not sure which way the clock turns on this one) the best birthday EVER!!!

Gonna make it an early night as I have mailings to get out tomorrow and still need to put them together. Y'all been postin' good stuff.

Emilee, thanks for the 'warning!' Will do my duty on Wednesday - my day for all things desk-ish this week.

Ralph, hope you're in bed and resting well this morning so you can wake up refreshed and totally headache-free.

Enjoy the chat - fill me in later - and to all a good night..................

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  8:33:03 PM  Show Profile
Lora - for that we will make up a badge!!! You deserve one, what a project.
Dawn - I'm seconding Cheryl's guess, stress????
Good night mavens
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  05:08:39 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Happy Birthday, dear Corinne!!!!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  05:56:34 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Corinne, joyeux anniversaire..........I don't speak French but I do know how to google. Here's another one (perhaps you could translate it for us, s'il vous plait?):
Nous te souhaitons un joyeux anniversaire
nos voeux de bonheur profonds et sincères
Beaucoup d'amour et une santé de fer
Un joyeux anniversaire
Nous te souhaitons un joyeux anniversaire
Pour que t'aies tout bon pour l'année entière
la réussite et la joie que tu espères
Un joyeux anniversaire
and............
From the bottom of my heart, may you have the happiest of birthdays.

Amy Grace, ya got another bagger.

Lanna, I don't have an aloe plant but my mom used to have one. Like you, it didn't matter at the time. She'd cut a leaf and put it on a burn or rashy spot and it worked but I was teenage and that just wasn't cool. I'm finding myself eating a lot of words these days.

TS, my letter is going in the mail today. Since I was on the computer thought I'd check it out. Your directions made it really easy to take action.
Mavens, TS said it above and I'll back her up. This is ****important**** stuff. We can talk and post and chat about this all day long but without putting our mailings where our mouths are, we could still lose our seed future. Let's get activistic!

Ruth, when you thin your seeds, use a scissors to snip the ones you're thinning out. This keeps coming up in my reading (and hubby learned the hard way). This does less damage to the root system of those you're keeping.

Marcy, how cool that the president was so close to you! I watched some of his talk last night and thought of you every time he mentioned Indianna. And I agree with you - book first, then movie. The books have so much more depth. And......re: Seed to Seed - isn't it amazing how much your perspective can change? This time last year I thought heirlooms were fancy schmanzy things for people who had to have the next great thing. Once I learned their importance, it's changed everything. Including how I identify myself and that's a whole other story - been having some world-rocking moments lately.

Lora, until you get your badge, you get the Muddiest Marvelous Motivated Maven award. (I could come up with something better later in the day - still wakin' up.) Be sure to let us know if Lance's link is worthy.

Okay, I'm off to start my day..........'mornin', Ralph, hope the headache's gone.........

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  06:07:44 AM  Show Profile
Good morning Mavens, thanks so very much for all the kind birthday wishes.
Yes, I am having a good day and yes the hotel is nice and cosy. I have my quilt projects with me and the cats are happy and we get to make lots of plans which change by the day, but we are doing good.
It is the first time even in my life when I do not have a large perspective spread out in front of me but things will work out and I am now less worried.
I may end up have a real garden and I was wise not to put my dear little heirloom seeds in the container but in my suitcase, into the folds of nice floral fabrics.
I will post news as soon as we have some, we plan to leave sometime next week.
Karen it is so sweet of you to send me such good wishes as great health and lot of fun in French, that makes it real special.
I am going to send ya'll my new address by email tonight.
Many thanks again and plenty of love.
Corinne

Sister # 101

Edited by - Corinnelouise on Feb 10 2009 06:19:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  06:59:38 AM  Show Profile
Corinne~A very happy birthday to you. Praying everything works out with your husband's job and a new home for you.

Karen~Thanks for the tip. I was wondering how I would do that without damaging them. I am calling SSE today and putting in my order.

I hope to have some time later to put up a list of what I ordered.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:00:54 AM  Show Profile
Dawn~I hope you are feeling better today. I'm glad you like your hat. Hubby should think you're a cute owl and not run away from you.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:09:58 AM  Show Profile
I LOVE MY HAT!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  07:40:17 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Ruth, my list is in the henhouse. Check it before you place your order. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=561&whichpage=6

I got a few more seeds at BC this weekend. A couple of tomatoes (Green Zebra and Orange Banana), Lolla Rosa lettuce, Sweet Dumpling squash, fennel, soapwort, summer savory and sweet annie. I'll post these in the henhouse when I get back from errand-running. These are MY veggie seeds and I'm sure my dad is in heaven just rolling his eyes and having a good laugh because I don't eat tomatoes. Not 'raw.' Love catsup, sauce, chili, anything that has processed tomatoes but raw, they burn my mouth. But we just had to have a green heirloom tomatoe and who can pass up an orange banana tomato? Tomatoes are fruits after all...........

Later, gaters

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  08:16:28 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen. I am going to check it out. I will post my list too and then we will see if there is anything we would like to trade.
Ruth

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  08:26:47 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mavens! I'm Back! My computer is up and running again- doing the happy dance here!!!!!

Corinne- Hippo Birdie, Two Ewes. Ok it isn't as fancy as Karen's little diddy, but it is all I got. Hope you have a great birthday!

I am trying to play catch-up here, you girls have been busy.

Emilee-thanks for the info, I wll be checking out the website when done here.

Dawn- I hope you are feeling better.

Lora- You deserve a badge in my book.

Lanna- I broke down and bought the "Ball complete book of home preserving" last spring and absolutly love it. I also have been experimenting with creating reusable bread and sandwich bags for DH lunch. Won't send them with 17yo to school though, they would never make it back home.

My onion seeds are starting to pop up. I know there is more to respond to here but the phone rang and my train of thought derailed. So I will be going back and rereading later. For now I am off to get the bread and yogurt started. Talk to you all later.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  2:52:37 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Welcome back, Lillian! We have lettuce, onions, two peas, and a pepper (it doesn't look too healthy though). Except for the lettuce and onions, the rest are just for practice. The tomatoes did zilch but new peppers and tomatoes are lookin' good, thanks to your heating pad suggestion. We need to get the fan set up in the next couple of days and then we'll be lookin' good.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  3:17:19 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Are you all sensing a change in the air? It seems like more and more people are asking about heirloom seeds, why does it matter, etc. I know we've been saying something big is coming but I think it's already here and is just going to explode. I feel like the need to be more prepared but I'm not sure exactly what to prepare for. I want to get my blogs going - one personal one, one business one. The seeds are sprouting and Heritage Hills Farm is now a reality - an itty bitty one but real nonetheless. I guess I'm just feeling the enormity of what we're doing. Anyone else feel it too?

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  3:19:10 PM  Show Profile
Karen,

These are the seeds I was going to order that are the same as yours:

Corn~Golden Bantam
Golden Zucchini
Lavender~True or English
Outhouse Hollyhocks
Grandpa Ott's Morning Glories

Could you share some seed with me?

I am going over to the henhouse to post my seed order. Check and see if there is anything you would like. I would love to trade with you.

Lillian~Glad your computer is running again.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  4:07:20 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Ruth, according to hubby we need all the corn as that's a pet project this year. We're not going to plant our golden zucchini so you can have our packet. (FYI: We were going to plant zucchini, golden, acorn and butternut squash. Butternut is the only one that won't cross-pollinate - the rest have to be far apart. I forget if it's 500 feet or 1/4 mile - I'm thinking it's the last one because we're planting the acorn squash on the lower land if I remember right. I really need to get this down in our journal. Robbie can keep it in his head. Me - I need it in writing.) I'll be sending you about 20 seeds of each of the Outhouse Hollyhock and Grandpa Ott's. I'm not sure how this happened but I forgot to order the lavender! Maybe it was psychological as I usually kill it anyway. If you order it, tho, I'd like just a few seeds in case I manage to keep one alive. Also I would like a few Wee Willie's and some vining petunias. Not many as I'm already swamped but my uncle's name was Willie (according to my dad - Bill to everyone else) so that would be cool and my dad enjoyed petunias. Sound okay? Clear as mud?

Marcy, I hope I didn't steal your thunder. I saw Ruth's post out there this morning and didn't want her to order anything I might be able to swap her for. It didn't occur to me that I'd be jumping the gun until now. I'm gonna swap with Ruth and then let me know how to handle it from here on out. Sorry - - forgive me?

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  4:36:45 PM  Show Profile
HI Girls, how's it going?

Good here. Busy. If anyone's tried to call me at work this week and got abusy signal...well, hang in there. Or else just press a button to talk to anyone and then ask for me.

Oprah and Gayle have settled in nicely. They are still a little uppity towards the others. City chicks....

I haven't done much in way of planting. I'm hoping to get that all under control this weekend. Problem. No space. Most of my seed is direct sow any how so I may just have to start on flowers for the sale. I'm hoping to do some baking this week too. Just to get ready.

Karen, oh yeah, I can feel it. Its everywhere I go. Its everyone I talk to at work about chickens. If I had a nickel for everyone that is trying to become self sustainable in this world.... I'd be a rich girl. So many people are getting back yard flocks because they are AFRAID of the economy. And after listening to our President the other night, and hearing the stern set in his voice really made me sit back and think long and hard about a lot of things. I dont think we are even close to how bad its really gonna get. Its my grandfathers thoughts (page one?) all over.

People are interested in seed saving at any level. Spring Fling is important right now. If you can get here, I will feed and house you. I'm still thinking t-shirts buit have been pricing lady ones. Very expensive. My goal at SF is to make at least $500. I'm donating 10% to the maven fund. I hope we use it to build our seed bank. Is Marcy our seed keeper? I think we need a seed keeper. Someone that can dole out the seed and have seed traded in exchange. They should get postage reimbursed from our account. Another thing about SF, we need to use it as a meeting of the minds. That could be done on Friday? Sunday? Certainly it can't interfere with junking/antiquing/amish country!

I dont have anything else to really report. Hopefully mail will go out tomorrow, so Rene' and Ruth, heads up. I am on the search for a camper. One that my little equinox can tow. I already own a 42 footer but she's in West Virginia right now. Its my "home away from home". I go there when I need a break from noise. But I want one here too, so I can get up and go and have a place to stay. And it would serve as a "hotel" here at home.

Maybe we can have a retreat sometime?

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  4:57:49 PM  Show Profile
Karen and Dawn - yes we are on the crest of the wave I think!! I'm hoping this is a permanent change in people's thinking, not just one of those " oh, well I need to think about this now but when things get better it goes out the window" things. Sorry, I get a little cynical, I think it is from working in an organic food store and seeing the lack of education/awareness even among our customers, it is very discouraging sometimes, but right now I feel optimism.
Just got the SSE yearbook today, so that will give me some reading material for the night.
Dawn, I am going to call you tomorrow, I have the day off and time to sit on hold if I need to, I can tell you guys are super busy!!
Corinne - hope you had a fabulous birthday:)
It occurred to me that those of you who I am sharing seeds with are probably needing them earlier than me so will send them off this week - our last frost is May 15 so I am not even thinking about starting seeds for another month and I'm too late for onions already, ah well, there is always next year

Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  5:25:57 PM  Show Profile
Awww...amy, I'm off tomorrow too!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page