Page: of 217

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dawn, check your e-mail.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:39:45 AM  Show Profile
Geez Karen
I think you and I are posting simultaneously - I have to get off-line though or I will get sucked into the HMV and then I won't get anything done today.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:42:36 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
AG, understood. I figure since I'm at the computer anyway, might as well check in. And by the way, Michael Pollan - no wonder my vertigo has been acting up! Reading his book is sending my world spinning. Got into a whole eating-organic-meat-for-me-is-a-stewardship-issue conversation at church Sunday morning with a friend of ours. Poor hubby - he just stood there like "turn the hose off, Karen, or at least bring it to a trickle. Overwhelm!!!"

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:50:36 AM  Show Profile
Well yeah - I am still sitting here so I had to check back in:)
I am waiting for the newest Michael Pollan to come out in paperback, supposed to be in April I think. I think I will re-read AVM on the airplane, then pass it to my dad - he gets all worked up about stuff, it would be good to point him in this direction:)
Speaking of meat, my DH and I bought a grass-fed cow from a local farmer this year as part of our consciously changing our lifestyle. Last week he was doing a job at a grocery store remodel (carpenter) and they were demolishing the former meat department - he came home so grossed out and told me he would never eat conventional beef again - it's good we are on the same page!! I know how he would feel if we ever saw a feedlot
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:52:41 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Contrary Wife

Oh Corinne! Just had to ask, when you translated that cool French birthday wish from Karen, did you do it with a Missouri accent?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Planting Zone 3

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama

Oh, my dear TS, in reference to your earlier "some of us are nuts" comment - some of us are nuttier than others!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:54:05 AM  Show Profile
hahahahahahahaha......ya'll know what dawn needs????? I DO!!! ya'll know those little things they sell around christmas for your cars///the red rudolph nose you put on the front and the two little antler thingys that go on each window that stick up above your car?......I'm gonna make Dawn one that is a great big red comb that goes on the roof and a beak that attaches to the front grill!!!!!!!!....LOL......LMAO!!!!! But seriously.....I think it's a good idea!!! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:55:58 AM  Show Profile
I'm checking in too while my computer is thinking.... Marcy and Hannah, way to go girls. I submitted for a bunch a while back and am still waiting. My jean jacket is gonna rock! Oh yeah, I plan on bedazzling it too... nothing like farmgirl bling.

Okay, off to work on MAVEN Brochures... yep, so it will be easy to explain our purpose and we can hand them out at Spring Fling... also got the flyer done and will be working on mailing postcards out. Then onto food..... I figure I only have 13 days off to get my butt in gear!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  08:59:02 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Kelley, that's so perfect for her! I think we should all have those but Dawn's should be wearing a tiara and pearls.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:13:07 AM  Show Profile
ok, back to the post i was gonna post earlier......I was on Slow Food USA this am, reading and stuff and came across an article called "Leasing an Apple Tree?" by Slow Food USA staffer Jenny Trotter......I loved the article, very cool idea....then...almost got teary-eyed, and very frustrated.....brought back all the stresses of the last year with finances, moving, house on market (not selling)..blah, blah....and now...the dreaded "L" word...Leasing!!! Grrr....I shouldn't even get started because it is a public forum, but it's so frustrating the situation we are in...If ya'll care to know the details PM me and I'll explain....but back to subject....at this point, if we had a farm where we could lease fruit trees.....I'd do it!!! Not to say that I don't want my own orchard, because I do....SO BADLY WANT ONE!!! but the fact that there are farmers out there doing this really excites me, especially for those city dweller, renters, or home owners that just may not have the space for a fruit trees...anyhow just thought it was a really good aricle and I thought I would share!!!! Thanks for listening!!! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:13:52 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Morning Mavens!

Welcome Kelley and Amanda!

Karen-you are fine about the seed. What I would like to do is get a list from everyone at least by the end of the gardening season of what you have for the "Seed Bank". Then if Maven A wants a certain seed and Maven Z has it I can just drop an email and get the seed to Maven A. It would make me kinda like the go between. Sound ok? I think it is easier if everyone keeps their own seed so we dont have stuff floating all over the place.

I too feel the change in the way people are thinking and planning...I went to get feed for the critters and the man asked me if I buy all organic because he saw my milk when he was loading the feed. That led to a great discussion on being self sufficient and growing heirlooms and the quality of our food and how we have all just been used to buying what the store offered without knowing what was in our food. Before that I was picking out some material and a woman stopped me to talk..by the end of the conversation she had invited me to a sort of quilt club. Can you imagine just a bit of friendly networking and who knows who may be interested in what we do without knowing how to do it?? I was so excited!

I also read about grass fed vs grain fed..partly because I am reading Omnivores Dilemna and partly for another badge (thanks for the acknowledgement and yes I think Hannah is going to give me a run for it!!!) I decided that we would only eat grass fed beef and found some at Yoder's in Shipshe. I really only want what is best for my family..DH thinks about the price and really there is no difference..the difference is the quality..I know this is working because last night DH made dinner--frozen pizza and fries. Now the DS didnt mind a bit but oldest DD said "mommy you really have to cook..this processed food just doesnt taste good"

Its moments like that when I know we are making a difference. And she even helped me clean out the barn! Amazing for a girl who is a grease monkey but just cant get real dirt on her hands!!!!

Dawn-we love the crazy you!! There is some of that in all of us!! And oh oh this is good!! I made your rodeo bars minus the nuts, fruit and choc, but I iced them and the boys said they were great and ate the whole pan!!! Amazing those things are chock full of good stuff and they ate the whole thing!!!! You Rock!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:16:29 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Dawn-about your badges-check with Gabe at the farm. I had so many at once because for awhile they didnt want to go through. Something to do with the form. Did you get a thank you screen after each one? If not, they might not have gone through. Gabe got it fixed and it works fine now but you might want to check.

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:21:31 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
AG, if you're still out there (or for later when you find your way back), I was telling Robbie about the life of a CAFO cow. For the first 6 months or so they're free-range to get them strong. Then they're put in pens and taught to eat grain. Then they're shipped to the Confined Animal Feed Operation - but they can only eat grain for no more than 150 days because "the diet would eventually 'blow out their livers' and kill them." They are only able to stay "healthy" by having antibiotics pumped into them.

Now flash forward to our trip this weekend. On our way to BC - and totally unrelated to the company in any way, shape or form - we passed a farm that had a lot with probably 30 head of cattle in it, feeding from a trough if my eyes didn't deceive me. Then we saw more cattle on the hill. DH missed the first part and commented on how they're doing it "right." I hated to tell him what I saw but I did - and he hit the roof. To quote Michael Pollan, "Eating industrial meat takes an almost heroic act of not knowing or, now, forgetting." Head in a vice! Head in a vice! Vertigo alert! ARGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:40:32 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Marcy! Glad I didn't blow a hole in the seed bank. And I discovered there's a farm just one town over that raises organic cattle. When we get a bigger freezer, which we'll need to do this summer, I'm going to get half a cow. I personally don't have an issue with eating meat, although we don't eat it every day. I do have an issue with how the animal was treated before it got to my freezer. So we're gonna have little feathery animals. B-bawk!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:50:27 AM  Show Profile
Kelley, check this link, it says it all about joining the sisterhood.
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/farmgirl-connection/
To be a Maven you DO NOT have to join the sisterhood since sometimes it is hard to spend 20 $, you can always join latter, but you can join and read and take part of what we are all doing.
If you are ready to become a sister, that is fantastic, just register yourself and you can find all the Mavens info in the coop.
If you want to buy a sticker or a journal, email Dawn and you will know how to do it.
But like I said before, you can join without paying anything until you are ready.
Mavens in charge, please correct me, I wrote all this by memory, I might be wrong all long.
Hope that helps,
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  09:55:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh yeah, I'm back - I did manage to do some laundry and order my chickens - yay!! - so I can say I have accomplished something other than community organizing:) today.
Marcy Jo - that is so cool that a chance conversation leads to something bigger - I love things like that. That is one of the reasons I love my job, I get a chance to do education. Almost all the cheeses I sell are either artisan made or rBGH free, when people ask why that is good I get to give them a little bit of my spiel. Also, last St. Patricks day the Irish cheese company I work with sent us posters etc. for the holiday promotion, they sent these buttons that say "Eat Responsibly" then have their name on them - obviously this was a play on the whole "drink responsibly" thing. We aren't supposed to wear any political buttons on our aprons at work but since this one has the name of the company on it it counts as marketing, so I have continued to wear mine - I get a lot of comments on it, it really makes people think for a minute. And if we can get them for a minute, it may stick with them.
I think I am going to brave the roads and go to the co-op today, I'm feeling a need to be in that kind of environment.
I am sure I will be back here both before and after I go though - can't stay away
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:02:32 AM  Show Profile
thanks Corinne
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
I was taking time today to re-read some of the more recent posts, seems I was hitting and missing some of the conversations~ you gals are amazing. I love the new gals too and the energy they are all brining, you all just make me happy!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/http://renenaturallyspeaking.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:10:50 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Oh oh oh ~ Amy Grace! How many chickens did you get? What kind? When are you getting them? WOO HOO!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:11:17 AM  Show Profile
BTW Dawn.....what other Kelley in Texas are you talking about??? I can't seem to find her....I would love to chat with her!!!!
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hi, Rene ~

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:12:42 AM  Show Profile
oh, Hello Rene'!! hey, I haven't heard from ya....did the seeds I sent ya make it ok, or did they get destroyed?....If they did I can mail more! Kelley
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:13:27 AM  Show Profile
Marcy, what a swell idea. I will list the seeds I have left this summer after planting and collecting/ and I might very likely buy more french heirlooms to share with you.
everybody, I've resent the list with Amanda's info. I still need your planting zone, for some I've got them out of the threads here or in the coop, for some, couldn't find the info.
Good night all.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:27:00 AM  Show Profile
Good Night Corinne,
Hello to all of you Maven sisters.
I am entertaining today..the gal who sold me the chickens is coming for lunch,and to visit the girls. When I met her the first time, I gave her a MJ magazine Christmas her daughter had given her all 3 of MJ books.. I was impressed. However She had not heard of the magazine. I am hoping to introduce her to the sisterhood today. She has been reading the topics on the farmgirl connection, I am going to also give her a start of the Sourdough starter if she is interested. Why wouldn't she be?
We are having Caprese'salad, homemade brocolli,ham,3 cheese quiche,and fresh made chocolate cream puffs.. Do you think I am over doing this? NAH! It's my Farm girl way! I would love for her to become a chapter member...I have been wantiong to start one...and have had no luck.... Today may be the start...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Feb 11 2009 10:29:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:30:49 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Go, Cheryl! Let us know how the lunch goes. And save me a cream puff, please

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

farmmommy
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Kelley
Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2009 :  10:35:51 AM  Show Profile
Oh, yes Cheryl, let us know......ooohhhhh how I wish I were at your house for lunch today!!! Sounds so yummy!....I really hope this is a lead for a farmgirl chapter, I know what it's like to want to start one and be involved in one but just don't have the interest in this general area...kind of a bummer!! But I have enough gumption to get one (A REALLY GREAT ONE!!) started here, it may just take a while.....huuumph! I keep having to tell myself to be patient!!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page