Page: of 217

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  8:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey all... Sounds like winter is winning this week..Guess that means spring has to be just around the bend, right? Lora, I am so glad that you are OK... wow how scarry. Dawn, no worries, we are just simple farmgirls, and we are coming to be with YOU and others.. not to judge or whatever.....I know it is just going to be awesome fun! I cant wait for the bracelet, thanks.... I will email you.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  9:31:32 PM  Show Profile
oh Dawn..your spring fling thing will be just fine..don't go fretting yourself about it too much. just make a list ..and check off things as you go..that will help you immensely to keep things straight and to keep from getting over anxious.
-----------
by the way..I got the hatchery catalog..thanks so much..and the valentine card too..thanks a bunch.
-------------
hope everyone is having a good week.
----------

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  05:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, mavens! Just a quick hello before I'm off to start the day.

Amy Grace, your weather warmth is moving our way today - finally! The snow/sleet we got last week is a three-inch thick sheet of ice in our yard. Half an hour north of us they got snow only and it was nearly all melted Monday. Here - ice, ice, ice. Except on the roads - those are clear, even our gravel road - at least the main drag. The sides are still piled with snow, er, ice.

Our egg carton tray of lettuce seeds has shoots everywhere. Our pea is about to fully pop up. The lettuce in the eggshells has a few sprouts, not quite half of the carton is up. The peppers and onions - no shows. Robbie been spritzing them with water. He's going to move to the drip method (dropping spoonfuls of water) since we think the pressure from the spray isn't making them happy.

Still waitin' on my herbs and flowers order.

I probably won't be signing on tomorrow unless I have energy left tomorrow night. Tomorrow day we're going to BAKER CREEK! Yes, it's finally happening. We planned to go Sunday but it's supposed to rain so DH moved his CDO (compressed day off) to Friday and we're heading to Mansfield tomorrow. Woo hoo! Rene', I'm definitely taking pictures for you, sister.

*****If anyone wants me to pick up seed - or anything else - for them, post here today. I'll be sure to check in before taking off tomorrow morning.

Have a great day, mavens...........Mornin', Ralph...................'Night, Corinne (are you all settled in your new place?)

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  08:47:00 AM  Show Profile
Well Shoot... It looks like we are going to get some rain&snow again.. I knew it was too good to be true, 8 days of sunshine was more than a tease of Spring. Looked at the weather prediction.(although sometimes wrong) and we are to get this cloudy rain, snow for a week steady. Snow probably in the mountains but we are at the 4100 foot level so we do get a few dustings.. Last year the biggest snowfall was in January and there were 5 ft drifts across our driveway..and so... I guess I will be Inside for awhile longer.
Plenty of time to do the continued reading, baking, organizing.. Maybe Clay & I will go on a short road trip..south? He won't be able to stand being shut in...for long.
Karen I have not planted a seed yet, I am getting discouraged... just can't plant anything yet...
Hope you whjo are experiencing the same cooler trends keep warm and busy.
Iam still waiting for my CLT book...and the Lynn Coulter two I ordered.
Have a great day whatever you do.... Clay is even thinking of a movie maybe.

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  08:57:56 AM  Show Profile
Mornin' Girls. Just a quick hello again, I am still using the kids computer. Karen sounds like you will be having a great Friday!!!! Your peppers and onions need a warmer soil temp to germinate, preferably 70 degrees or so. If you have a heating pad you can set that under them to up the soil temp. If you don't chances are the seeds will rot.

Cheryl- We are supposed to see the "s" word this weekend too. I was loving the sunshine we had the last 2 days. DH and I are hoping to make a trip to the K-Falls this summer to look at property.

Dawn- Deep breath.......In through the nose...........now slowly exhale. Do you feel better now? Thanks for the Valentine.

Gotta run to the feed store- Hugs to everyone!

Lillian

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  09:06:26 AM  Show Profile
lillian...Well come on up!! Do you have a property in mind? Can I do anything for you? Oh I am hoping you move this way.. It's a great place to live.. Lots of Country folk. Old ranchers and new.. But no farmsisters yet..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  09:45:39 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Ok Dawn your feathers are too ruffled!!!! We are all farmgirls and no need to worry over silly things it will all work out cuz we just want to have a blast at Spring Fling!!!

I am so glad to see Spring is starting at least in some places!!!! Today it is soooo cold but will be warmer this weekend!!!

Off to get dog food!!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  10:34:09 AM  Show Profile
Hello Mavens, we are all set in the hotel now, my car will be sold next week and from that we are going to move on.
Hope everybody feel better, Karen, Rene. Lora how are you doing ? Thinking of you a lot. there is nothing like fabric in fall colors for sure.
Dawn, take time just to be, if you can. It takes only the time to make a cup of tea and to drinki it slowly and sudenly the world seems friendlier.
You know, when in France, I won't be able to chat on monday nights because we'll have only 6 hours difference with Eastern Time, so that means that when you start at 9 pm on the East coast it will be 3 am... a bit early for me for sure.
I am going to prepare ONE small raised bed garden at my mom, so I will be able to get something growing.
Hope you are all doing well, I miss you.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  10:53:26 AM  Show Profile
Corinne, so good to hear from you. I've missed you.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  5:04:43 PM  Show Profile
Woo-Hoo! Started my onions today. So far there are 216 seeds snuggled in my trays of dirt. May start a few more, but I have to measure the new bed first and make sure I will have room for them.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  5:06:48 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Annika, good to hear from you too! Corinne, so glad you're settled in somewhere for a little while. At least long enough to catch your breath. We may just need to set up another daytime chat just for you. Sure miss chatting with you.............

Guess what was waiting for me when I got home today? My SSE order! Yipee - happy dance! Especially when I realized that the "Seed to Seed" book was in the box. I almost forgot I'd ordered it. The cover is beautiful.........Okay, I just got done skimming the book and it is fascinating. Had to read the section on page 15 called "Gardeners as Stewards" and this sentence jumped out at me: "Vegetable gardeners must do everything in their power to maintain what remains, because extinction is forever." We have an incredible responsibility, mavens.

As I was skimming along, I was thinking how I'm more of the 'let nature takes its course' kind of seed saver - open pollination, no intervention. Like the BK and the turkeys in AVM. After reading that sentence and sending my two-cents worth about the GE corn issue (one day left to make your voice heard - the USDA isn't accepting public comments after tomorrow http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=29150 ), I feel so personally responsible for the future of our food supply. (And reading Michael Pollan's book just adds fuel to the fire. And then there's Rene' making sure we never forget.........)

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  5:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Go, Lillian! My goof on the earlier post. We do have onion seeds coming up (4 out of the 6 planted have sprouted). It's the peppers and tomatoes that haven't done anything yet. I had DH read your post and he's got a plan to warm them from below. We had a heat lamp on them and a thermometer to check the temperature but he said the lamp went out - when, I don't know - so that could be the real issue. It's all a learning experience. Did you start your onions indoors or in your greenhouse?

I'm waiting til Saturday to start some of my herbs. I just want to get a few going - can't let the hubby have all the fun.

Well, I was just reminded that there's food to put away from the grocery run today. Robbie got the perishables in the frig so that I could post. Now it's time for me to do the rest. Will try to check in one more time this evening but will definitely be checking in before leaving tomorrow in case anyone has BC seed requests.

Love to all

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  5:34:11 PM  Show Profile
Karen ~ Oooh, I'd be thrilled to go to Baker Creek. Like a kid in a candy store. I think I got everything I needed already ordered, I'm still waiting on two big orders. Need to check whether I have enough bean seeds though I suppose.

I have absolutely thrilling news. I have a fabulous neighbor. She even has a son the same age as my oldest, which is pretty groovy for them. But. Her family's been going to and from Sweden lately for her hubby's work, and will be coming and going this spring/summer. And guess what I get free reign of? Her garden!!!! I'm so excited! Even more space to play with, and they've kind of got the watering thing right there ready to have hooked up so no worries/hardship there. I'm thinking we'll probably do halfsies with what I plant in her yard or something, but still, that gives me more room! Yippee! Good thing I have a pretty fair amount of seeds as it is, so I should be good to go. Ah, talk about a good day. Now to rig up the graph paper again and figure out the companions over there for this year now...

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  6:00:44 PM  Show Profile
How exciting Lanna - I am always coveting more garden space, even though my space is huge and I don't use half of it yet.
Karen - oh my goodness have fun, are you going to go to the Laura Ingalls Wilder museum too? That is on my list for someday. I am still waiting for my BC order to come
And also for it to be time to plant :( Just too early here yet. Plus if I planted anything now the boys would kill it with neglect while I am gone
Annika - how is everything? I miss hearing your voice on the forum
Rene - are you going to the Spring Fling? I'm jealous.
Dawn - I hope I can talk to you tomorrow when I call to order chickens:) Hope you are not too busy to breathe/talk/pee etc.
I ran a bunch of errands after work, just got home. My DS is leaving for New Orleans tomorrow to go on a mission trip with my folks so I had to get all these last minute things like jeans that can be thrown away - I forgot all about them. I think it will be a good experience for him though, I hope he gets a lot out of it
Still waiting on Carrots love Tomatoes
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  7:04:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi ladies, Jus tpopping into say I too got good mail today.. I got Lynns book.. Stillwaiting for CARROTS LIVE TOMATOES. Going to start reading Lynn's tonight..before I go to bed.. It's raining and we are suppposed to get rain or snow the rest of the week..SO I went to the thrift store today.. Senior Day wahooo! good bargains. I posted my goodies on my blog. Have a good evening all...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  12:01:04 AM  Show Profile
Sorry I have been absent a lot, but between the farm and my dad being injured/very ill, I have been either out or on the phone to Seattle to see what is up from his doctors. I may be going over for a while and taking care of him, but I will let you all know ahead of time...I am sorry that I have not been able to keep up with my dear farm sisters, but my family needs me right now.

I hope that all of you are well and doing ok...* Hugs* to all of you and I hope that we all have a good early spring and enough water to grow things with =)

Will try to post more tomorrow

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  12:30:59 AM  Show Profile
hugs to you Annika..we all understand..take care of you and your family. hugs.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  03:41:49 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dear Annika, you do what you need to do. We just miss you........but we'll be fine while you take care of your family. First things first.

Well, mavens, we're off to Baker Creek. Will post when we return............

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  07:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning dear Mavens,

Annika, I am so sorry you are having a difficult time. Just know all our prayers and thoughts are with you cause we love you girl.

Karen! I am so jealouse you are going to Baker's Creek!!!!! You will have to tell all! Amy Grace is right tho, you do have to go to Laura Ingalls Wilder Museum, it's on the "to do" list. Wouldn't Baker's Creek be a fabu place to have a Maven's get together?

I'm still waiting on my BC order, but in all fairness it hasn't been that long since I did my order, lol. I am really going to have to schedule my time well this summer in order to work at our place and keep the garden here going. We've had a few nice days and I'm like y'all, just itchin' to dig in the dirt. Alas,... sigh,... too muddy. Heck, the snow drift in front of the house isn't even melted yet, lol

Oh, I have some other good news, my dear son-in-law, Ruben, who is in the Marines, just got word, he will be promoted to Major. OohRah!!

Hi howdy to all, Dawn, Rene', Lanna, Lillian, Corinne, Ruth, Tina, Sue, Denise, Brenda, Marcy, Lora, Nancy, Diana, Dalyn, Cheryl, Julie, Elinor, I think I remember everyone, whew!!!

Well, I've got to get the final tax stuff done and sent off, then get some ironing done and then DH and I are off to Spokane to dinner at Anthony's(it overlooks the Spokane River and the view is great, and they are supposed to have fabu seafood)for my belated birthday dinner and then off the Chiefs hockey match, they're playing Vancouver and it should be a barn burner.

TTFN, have a great weekend!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  08:24:12 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Morning Mavens!!
Its warming up here!! Then the snow will melt so this week we just might be swimming in the yard!!!! Supposed to be in the 35-40 range all week!!! Maybe I will find the barn and the garden borders!!

DH and I were talking about saving onion seeds last night..I told him how much I really want to learn this and he was so supportive! Just warms my heart when we have a moment like that!!!

Have a great weekend and I will check in on Monday!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  08:29:42 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning all~ Hey TS so great about your son... from one Marine mom to another OohRah is right.

Annika~ I am so sorry about your dad, that can be so very stressful, but I love when I see your name pop up o the forum...

Karen~ Yes so jealous~ I want to go to Baker Creek too. I was hoping to while I was in Ohio for Spring Fling but I think it is to far.................

Amy~ I don’t think I congratulated you for taking on a bigger role with the mavens... thanks... HUGE shoes to fill from TS~ but you will make it yours I just know....Your sweet personality is the perfect fit!

We had a little break in the weather and I went out and scratched around in the garden, laid some old straw down and worked it around. We brought in dirt last year and it doesn’t seem very "rich", so I was shopping for worms... of course I can’t put them out until it is warmer... but I think I will get a mess of them as well.

I think I told you all that I was able to go nab some used wood out of a local B&B renovation... and have started making my Square foot gardens (you can check out the wood on my blog)... I have decided to do 6 (4x4) boxes... 2 strictly for herbs and 2 for additional garden space and 1 for medicinal herbs and 1 for flowers. I also have my eye on an apple bin at the local salvage yard of the local fruit packing plant... to fix up and use for a compost bin....... I ordered 8 Orpington Buff chickens so I will have a little to compost ~

My hubby did a brilliant job of planting lawn that we are now tearing out to put in more gardens ") good thing he likes me...

Hope you all have a great day!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)

Edited by - ruralfarmgirl on Feb 06 2009 08:31:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  08:47:12 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning all...
Annika, Take some time for you along the way too. Taking care of an ill family member can be very stressful. You & your father will be in my prayers,

Karen, You will have a great day, I wish I was with you.. Tell us all about your trip... and Enjoy it thoroughly.

Marcy Jo, I hear you, the weather was nice and I have spread straw over the garden area too, waiting to be tilled in. when the ground thaws, DH is talking about buying a rototiller instead of renting one.. That would be great,
Rene'Good luck with the garden project. and the chickens, Sounds like you have a good plan. And to have your Dh helping is great, I also have mine right there supporting our plans.
Hello to all my other maven sisters as well..
It rained last night and a few snow showers are expected today mixed with rain. Looks like another good day to sew or read. Putting a chicken in the crockpot to make a stew for dinner...I'll be popping in later...

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  08:55:27 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Just a note, Thanks Karen for alerting me to the GMO Corn letter, and thanks Rene' for bringing it to our attention, boy, I am hot under the collar about that!!!!!!

Oh, Alee hope you are feeling better from your car accident and that all goes well with the insurance people.

TTFN

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  09:40:27 AM  Show Profile
Mornin Girls- Still on the DS computer! Can't wait to get mine running again. I am working with a teenagers computer-it has sticky keys from who knows what and there is an empty bag of chips by the monitor, books and papers every where!!!!!

Karen-Have a wonderful trip, I am jealous! Oh yeah, my onions are currently in the house because we haven't turned the hot bed on in the greenhouse. DH will turn it on in march when I start the tomato and pepper seeds. At that time they will move into the greenhouse.

Annika- Don't worry about us- we will fill you in on all of the good stuff while you are absent. Take care of yourself and your family.

TS- You enjoy your bleated B-Day.

Cheryl- I would love a newspaper from Medford and K-Falls. If you would be willing to pick those up for me Dh and I would be as happy as clams! I will pay for the papers and postage. Just let me know if you would be willing to do that.

Marcy Jo- Glad to hear things are a thawing out. We had a few nice days here and it really gives you spring fever!

Rene- I'm lucky my DH "likes" me too. Last year he moved the fence (dug more holes for posts) around my garden because I wanted it bigger. Once it was done I told him that it was now big enough and he wouldn't have to do that again. Well guess what? Yup- I want to extend it again. At least he is on board with what we are doing here at DOE. By the way he is (was) a Marine too!

A big hello to everyone else too *waving* I need to really get my chores done so Off I go.............

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2009 :  09:42:12 AM  Show Profile
Must proofread first!! TS- that would be a belated B-Day.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page