True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  4:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone!!
I'm sorry i missed the chat again - Corinne, hoping things work out for Paris.
We (Mom, Dad, and I) drove over to Seattle Sunday to see grandma/Dad's mom - she is 94, not doing so hot. Then drove back Monday - it was beautiful. Both mountain ranges were out and Mount Rainier, it was 57 degrees, now it is above 50 here - I think I can make it through this thing they call winter.
While we were there we drove around what used to be the little town where my Grandpa and Grandma lived and my dad grew up - now it is a Hyper-suburb of Seattle. My grandpa had built a house in 1942, they had a huge garden in the back, cherry trees, berries, etc. - the last people to buy the place paid $849,000 and tore the house down (my grandma hasn't lived there for years - we just keep track) - they built this enormous gross monument to conspicuous wealth that goes all the way to the back property line - it was really depressing. The neighborhood is one I know so well but all the cute little 1940's houses are gone and these "mcMansions" as my dad calls them are there, very eerie
Dawn - hang in there sister - stay healthy!!
Good to hear from everyone else
I will go through the badge requirements tomorrow and start in my official duties, although maybe I should wait till I can wear the mask......
Marcy Jo is probably miles ahead of the rest of us - she will have to serve as our inspiration
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  5:27:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens,

I got my seed ordered yesterday. Also my tomatoe, pepper, potatoe, and garlic ordered. Woohoo!!!!

Corinne I have our Iran seed ordered.

It was 45 degrees here today, sunshine, it was great! I even hung clothes on the line,lol

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  5:32:13 PM  Show Profile
Ok - I need to boo hoo here. I had a miserable day today. We had this mini snow storm that was only supposed to dump 1-2 inches and we got 4-5 inches. The really sucky part = 34 vehicle pile up on I-69 just north of Indianapolis. 3 people died. It happened about 10ish and I got there at 1130 because we were doing bus inspections in another town. It took forever to get there because the roads were horrible. The other unit that was following me had me turn on my deck lights in my back window just so she could see me.

When we got to the scene - I almost burst into tears. There were cars and semi trucks everywhere. I didn't know where to begin. To make matters worse, two of the deceased were still in a truck. No one told me they were still there so imagine my shock when I and the other unit walked up to get information from the truck and see him in there. I looked at him and thought I know that guy. Sure enough - I had stopped him last year for an inspection. My heart sank - he was only 27.

So - I am still getting over this. I was on the scene for 6 hours and will have 5-6 trucks to finish tomorrow at the impound lot. Many of the veteran troopers on the scene said in all the years they have been on the road - never had they seen a pile up like this. I mean this was something you see on CNN, not in Indiana. Sorry if I bummed anyone out, but I just needed to talk to someone about it.
Please be sure to tell your loved ones how much you love them, because you just never know when you number will be up......

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  6:51:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Sorry to hear you had such a bad day Lora. Sending hugs your way.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  7:00:22 PM  Show Profile
Lora sorry about your day tomorrow will be better .

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  7:15:09 PM  Show Profile
Oh Lora - I'm sorry, what a day. You are right about not taking people for granted, you never know. I'm glad you are alright, and hope you are doing okay emotionally
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  8:26:26 PM  Show Profile
Lora, sometimes they are no words to express our sadness at the loss of lives.
We are here to listen to you and everyone who is having a bad time dealing with we are are facing every day.
I hope you had the right support to make this more bearable if not acceptable, I will keep you and all the ones involved is this terrible accident in my prayers today.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  12:09:05 AM  Show Profile
so very,very sorry that you had to go through that Lora. hope that you are doing o.k.
------
hugs to all of you gals.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  06:34:57 AM  Show Profile
Lora~so sorry to hear about that. That is so sad and hard to deal with.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  06:41:28 AM  Show Profile
Lora, I'm so sorry that you had to go though all of that, I hope you are all right. Take care sister and hopefully today will be a better day. (((Hugs)))

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  07:36:10 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Oh Lora, I'm so sorry you had to deal with all this. You had a really really hard day, didn't you? Driving in the snow can be hypnotizing so I'm glad you made it there safely. How hard it must have been for you to deal with the effects of that pile up. From the survivors standpoint, tho, I'm glad it was you that was there for them.

Take care of yourself and this weekend, do whatever brings you the most comfort. I'll be keeping you close to my heart in prayer. (((More hugs)))

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & KMW (Keeper of Maven Words)
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  08:03:26 AM  Show Profile
Morning all- Long time-no post! My computer had to be formatted and it has been quite a chore getting it back up and running. It still isn't all together yet, my DS has to pick me up a new modem when he is at work today. In the meantime I haven't really had a computer to use. This morning I am using the boys old computer so I can at least stay somewhat caught up with you girls!

Lora- I am so sorry about your day. I will keep you in my prayers. If I could reach through the computer and give you a hug I would. Be safe out there!

Amy Grace- You will not regret getting the Amish Paste. Last year before they started producing they were about 6 feet tall and real leggy (none of my other varieties were this way) and I told my DH that if they don't produce a good tomato I was going to be dissapointed. When they produced they really produced! Big, Meaty paste tomatoes and lots of them!

I haven't been able to find my CLT book so I won't be reading it along with you girls, but that doesn't mean I will be quiet. I do have another companion planting book that I will read instead to refresh my memory for this planting season. I have a meeting in town today so I will be picking up a bag of potting soil (thought I had some left from last year) and be starting my onion seeds tomorrow. I have peas growing and blooming in my greenhouse! It really gives me spring fever.

Hope everyone has a great day and hopefully my computer will be up and running by Friday. Talk to you then.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  09:04:48 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Morning Mavens!!

Lora-I hope you are doing better today!

The sun is out again ladies!!! Yippee!! Its cold but there is sunshine!!!

Did everyone see the new badges? Theres a new one in Cleaning up, one in Make it easy and 3 in Garden Gate!!

Only a few minutes here to check in then I am off the schools auto shop for a malfunctioning headlight!!! I would much rather stay here with you guys than be with a bunch of teenagers!!! The work is cheap and cant pass that up. Only $5 to take the car in!!!

Have a great day all!!!

Marcy #257

http://marcyjosmarket.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  09:09:57 AM  Show Profile
Morning Mavens.
I am just to say hello, I have to do some walking this morning.. too much bread & pasta, Actually starting a walking routine with the neighbor in 30 minutes, need to feed the chickens,& dog.. will be back to play here later. Have a wonderful day.
Cheryl

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

The secret of staying young is to live honestly, eat slowly, and lie about your age... Lucille Ball
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  12:12:52 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the info Marcy - I printed all the previous badge requirements off so I probably never would have checked. As badger I should probably know what there is
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  1:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Yo! I only have a few minutes but couldn't wait to share with you: I was talking to one of the women at our church about getting a big garden going this summer as part of our five-year plan toward a CSA. She didn't know what that meant but if it involved garden-fresh vegetables, she's interested. We talked for awhile and bottome line, she wants to be part of our two-family trial next summer (in addition to anything we have to share this year).

FYI: Last night we saw the first lettuce and onion sprouts from our starts. Robbie has one pea plant going that he wants to let grow in the Gussie greenhouse and have it vine along the wire! Here's hoping.........

Miss y'all - Rene', hope you're on the mend from your cold, sweetie

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

"To own a little bit of ground, to scratch it with a hoe, to plant seeds and watch the renewal of life - this is the commonest delight of the race, the most satisfactory thing a man can do." Charles Dudley Warner
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  1:43:04 PM  Show Profile
oh lord.... should I really be starting seed now? I just cnt get into it. This winter has been AWFUL. Sunny, but frigid. More snow tonight and tomorrow. Cleveland schools were closed today. I still cant get to my shed to clean or get inspired. ARGH!

Being a farmgirl is hard right now. I havent been to town (a big town with lots of options) in quite awhile so today I went. I returned almost empty handed. I am usually right on the spot when it comes to finding what I need.... not this time. No organic milk, no area rug, no sheet sets. I sure hope that all of you that are staying with me really, really really dont mind the "rustic" farmhouse look. I have no seating area in the living room, no pillows for the floors.... I know that I'm in a state of panic and this will pass. I just want everyone to be comfy....

I'm trying the 'make your knees weak' chillover tonight. Will let you know how it goes. Anyone know if I can do chocolate milk in it as soft set?

Lora, I got your msg about the wreck and have been thinking of ya a lot.

If I'm absent in m,y royal duites I apologize profusely.... am thinking I bit off more than I can chew with Spring Fling.... I know I did. BUT, I also know that all will work itself out.

So what seed should I be concentrating on right now? Sriously? Onions from seed? help!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  1:44:19 PM  Show Profile
I jsut realized that I have a lot to learn about heirlooms. Been so spoiled with transplants that I'm clueless. of course i can do onion from seed, I'm not a baby..... WAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  1:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
It's O-fficial!!!! Spring is HERE!!!! I saw my first Robin today!!!!!!

Hang in there Dawn. Wait till you see my rustic farm look, lol.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  4:18:48 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dawn, don't worry about the rug, the sheets (we can bring our own), the seating area in the living room (we don't have one either - just a small couch, that's it, no chairs, no bench - you can tell it's just the two of us living here). As for the milk, I'd rather you wait until closer to May to get it. I don't think I'd want to drink milk that's four months old....... Here's some advice that a wise farmgirl posted once: just get yourself a cup of chamomile tea and relax (maybe not the exact words but YOU know how it goes). And remember - keep it simple! We've got your back.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  4:32:04 PM  Show Profile
poor Dawn.. I know you are frantic.. I do the same thing.. but do as Karen said and above all BREATHE!
I was on the phone all morning trying to get my internet upgraded..What a trial & I was so confused and the tech support gal was so patient. I know I must have sounded like blubbering baby.. my favorite words weree "I don't understand how to do that" & she kindly walked me through the process only to lose it and had to start all over! Yep.. I am no computer tech.. I am a farm girl,Then i went for a walk with my neighbor.. we were only going to go 1/2 mile and well we were yakking and went 2 miles round trip ..ohhhhhhhh my ankles are killing me (shin splints) and I am supposed to go again in the morning.. don't know if I will make it... its a dirty Word EXERCISE! Hope everyone has a good evening.. I am going to eat & soak in the tub..

Cheryl
Farmgirl #309

Almost daily posts at:
http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/

Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise',
I wash my mouth out with chocolate.
Go to Top of Page

Lanna
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lanna
A little town in Idaho
330 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  4:53:02 PM  Show Profile
Lora ~ How awful, I'm so sorry. I hope you're doing okay.

In happy-to-me news, I've got 4 of my 6 seed orders! Seed starting shelves are still covered with canning shrapnel though (well, not shrapnel so much as odds and ends, but still). Just waiting on one order that usually takes about 3-4 weeks to be shipped/delivered as it is, and another one. I've got all kinds of random-ness going on. We'll see how much I can get out there...

Off to watch my little 7mo sit all on her own for hours on end while she reaches for our food and spins around for everybody else's toys. So darned cute.

Lanna, mama to three little monkeys
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  5:20:24 PM  Show Profile
Hey girls,

thank you for all the kind thoughts and hugs. I think it helped. I had to go to the impound yard today and finish the inspections. The coworkers of the 2 guys were there to watch me. That was kinda weird and I don't usually allow that, but one was crying so I didn't say anything. I know they needed to be there for closure. I answered any questions they had if I could.

On a lighter note - I have received 3 seed catties. SSE, Seeds of Change and Kitchen Gardens (or something like that). I just don't know what to get. I mean I want beans and carrots and maters, (and so much more) but all the choices - - - - AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. I hate making tough decisions. I have a few narrowed down.........

Had another case conf today. This one was an intake. Lliam will be starting back to his old school here in Alexandria on Monday. He is going to have a full time aide and they sound like they are ready to handle him this time. Geez, I hope so...

Dawn, hang in there with the spring fling - remember whatever happens, happens. We are here for you.

Love you all!!

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
www.CountryFriedAcres.etsy.com
www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  5:37:26 PM  Show Profile
what a whiney bunch we are!

OH TS! A robin! I AM hopeful!

I know the spring bling fling thing will be what it will be.... I just wanted to get some things done today and I've accomplished zilch. My days off are few and far between.... I've got to be more organized.

One thing: to all that are staying at my house in May, you all DO like dogs right? Cuz I got some wild ones. ONe will be outside most the time as she is....um..... territorial. She will bark. Loud and alot. The other one I'm trying to con hubby into taking to 'grandpa's' with him. So far, we dont think FIL will go for it, but he may not have the heart to kick her out once she's there... that's the plan. The little one, will stay here as she is the sweetest loving thing ever. And not a bad kisser either.

I got some market totes done. One with a felt chicken with vintage button wings, and the other is a painted print I did myself.

Rene' your bracelet is done and will be sent out (hopefully) this week. Ruth, I have your journal and check all set to go. Just waiting on a chance to get to the PO.

Okay, gotta do some laundry and check blogs, etsy and my cheesecake. How do I get it to not crack so much in the middle?

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  6:05:06 PM  Show Profile
Yay - it was 55 degrees today!! I had so much energy with the sun shining, did lots of cleaning.
Dawn, you will make it, just remember you are only one person and noone expects the Waldorf-Astoria, just a nice farmgirl look. Seating? How about straw bales?:) Just kidding, but you know.
Tina - hope you feel better soon.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page