Page: of 217

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  09:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Is anybody out there today? Or are you all like me - checking to see if anyone posted but not taking the time to write?

Okay, I'll start. I've been e-mailing Dawn this morning, decluttering around the laundry area and getting ready to make a run to the fireplace store.

Wanna hear my latest "duh" story? Here it is, ready or not. Robbie loves the cornflowers that bloom around here starting about the first of July so I thought I'd get some of those for the flower garden. SSE didn't have them and neither did Baker's Creek. Thank goodness I requested the Bountiful Gardens catalog because there they were on page 47, followed by the other name they're commonly known as..................BACHELOR'S BUTTONS! So all this time that I'm longing for bachelor's buttons and these cornflowers are along every roadside in the area! They looked a lot like grandma's flowers but hers weren't wild, they were in the garden so it couldn't be them. And grandma's were lots of different colors too. Oh my goodness! You couldv'e knocked me over with a feather! Or a cornflower! Or a bachelor's button!

Okay, I'm off to the fireplace store.........

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Jan 09 2009 09:50:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  10:20:12 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
hEY bABY, i AM HERE!
I was just gettin ready to post here as well, how is life in the fast lane?

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  10:37:43 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! I am here barely. It has just been one of those weeks where I am never home and if I am then there is work to get caught up on. I have been trying to get the post read here everyday.

Karen-I saw that Victory Seed Co had Lillian's Yellow and they are close to my area too, but I ordered from them a few years ago and 1 of the packets of seeds didn't greminate and 1 of the packets had broken glass in it. The other seeds packets were fine. I just don't think I want to give them another chance. I will wait for the member yearbook to come from SSE and order from one of them. Thank you for Googleing for me though! What are you buying at the fireplace store?

Gotta run for now. BBL

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  11:17:34 AM  Show Profile
just a quick check in. its starting to snow fast and furious here and I'm already dreading the drive home. What should take 10 minutes will no doubt take 30.... we are expected to get up to a foot. YAY! I know you western sisters are sick to death of it, but I'm ready to be snowed in. I have decided to not post this weekend, as I want to start on my apron(s) and sew some things that I WANT to do, and not HAVE to do. I also came across some green chalk turquoise and am envisioning a GORGEOUS bracelet for myself....

I hope that everyone takes time right now, to just sit and "be". Spring will be here before we know it and there will be no time for quiet sewie moments, or quilting, knitting, crocheting as we will be rototilling, and cold framing. Then it will be planting, then it will be yard work, then harvest.... so enjoy a quiet DOE now and just be.....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  12:01:39 PM  Show Profile
That's where I'm at today too - now that I made it out of the house I'm ready to be in it again!!
I cut out an apron this morning and am planning on sewing it together this afternoon, working on finishing knitting a mitten, and I just started a new bread in the bread machine. I also have set myself a goal for practicing my french, so I am going to watch a french movie without the subtitles - may not get the apron all the way done today.
It is sunny today - makes me itch to go out and work in the garden, which is still covered with snow:) Oh well....
Later mavens
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  12:55:41 PM  Show Profile
hey gals..hope your day is going well, and those of you out in the snow/ice.do drive and walk safely.
I'm here going through some very vintage papers..like old Rural New Yorker papers and Country Gentleman magazines from the early 1900's will be listing them in my etsy shop later.
They are really cool...old ads are so fun to look at .
Anyhow..the clean out/packing up continues.
love you all..a busy day here..gotta go get things done.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  1:14:57 PM  Show Profile
Hello Mavens!!

I am sitting here at my computer looking at a wonderful flat screen that works and it is thanks to our sweet Teresa Sue. Thank you so much!!

I have missed all of you. I am working on some hats that farmgirls from the apron thread have ordered. I will have to post a picture here soon. They are owl hats and they're so cute.

Annika~Glad to hear that you are feeling better.
Amy Grace~Sorry to hear that you are not feeling so well. I have those days too. Hate PMS!!
Tina~How is the packing and garage sale coming along?
Dawn~I hope you have a great weekend of rest and completing everything you set out to do.
I have such a small area to plant that is driving me crazy. I want to turn the whole yard into a garden. I am going to try to draw out as much as I can to figure out where I can plant the most. I want everything in the seed catalogs but have to just pick what I really like. I want to start with a few things this year and add more every year. That way I can learn as I go along without getting overwhelmed. I don't want to have more than I can take care of and learn about at one time.
It is so cold here today and we are expecting more snow. About 8 inches tomorrow. I have to go to work tonight and am not looking forward to it.
How are all the Northwestern girls doing. I have been thinking of all of you with this snow and now flooding.
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  2:55:16 PM  Show Profile
well..I'm making progress today..I think I'm starting to see a small glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel. Packed up most everything out of the master bathroom, except for a few wee essentials.And packed up a bunch of brand new towels I had gotten for the new house.Sorted/straightened up the hall linen/towel cupboard.
Packed up all of hubby's books today too.(allowed him only a handful of about 5 that he can tuck into a night shelf..but no need to have a large pile near the bed(about 30 like he had earlier..ha) and packed up the remaining book shelf contents.
Then hopefully this weekend the large antique wardrobe will be hauled out to the storage area of the garage..then I have a few more things to go through and some furniture pieces to get taken out to the garage for the garage sale... and then I have to start pricing everything for the garage sale..which I don't know what day I'll have that..but soon..still have more stuff..room by room to go through and sort out/pack up...honestly I didn't think it would take so long..but..Naomi is tackling her studio room..which umm..was ..well quite the mess..but it was/is her room and she doesn't allow me in there..I take one look shake my head and walk away..but she is finally getting that sorted out and packed up..yay! and she's making good progress on it....the rest of everything else has really been all my chore to do..which is o.k. ..but some days I'd like for it all to go so much faster..and to be done with it all NOW...but ahh well.."farm gal plowing through"..and sometimes that means just steadily plugging along at things to get them done.
So..as you all know I'm not on here very much lately unless it is during the time I take a break for a minute or two.
hugs,
Tina

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  4:24:58 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon maven sisters.. I can officially say that now that Gabe opened the door for me.. I was busy all morning, had to take my car into be repaired, It may need a new transmission thingy. I don't know a thing about cars just that i purchased it By myself Yep I went & bought a 2004 Chrysler convertable ( I had always wanted one and well My old car Faithful that it was A Saturn sedan)was ready to trade..so I did it.. My Husband ( fiance at the time) was out of town So I decided I was a Big girl I could do this so after researching weeks I just did it. & I love her. I plan to drive her to the BBB in July. Anyways back to the story, The car has been leaking oil Badly.. So it is in the shop for the 4th time. I cannot part with her so its fix her right time.. Then Dh & I drove out to get my hens. The studio was ready & I was pass ready to get them.. They were real troopers rode in a cardboard box 25 miles to their new home. I am looking out there now & they look very happy. I am ready to have a cup of tea and read through a few seed magazines . Last night I joined SSE and am waiting for their magazine.. cannot wait..

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou

Edited by - K-Falls Farmgirl on Jan 09 2009 4:27:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  4:30:55 PM  Show Profile
Cheryl- Glad the "girls" are finally home. You will enjoy them so much, there are times I just go outside and visit with the hens. It is also tea-thirty here too. I'm having a cup and sitting down for a few before starting dinner.
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2009 :  6:53:24 PM  Show Profile
Good evening chickies,

Like Dawn, I too am expecting several inches of snow overnight. It will start with freezing rain then change over to snow. At least my husband will get to use his plow truck - finally!!

I have been working on badges/ submitted for 3 this evening. Yippy!!

I found out today at work that they are taking away our department cell phones. Not really happy about that, but maybe it will be a blessing in disguise. I won't have to call the Dept of Revenue to check on DOT number, fuel tax, or UCR stuff. (trucker stuff). They won't be able to reach me for call outs either. You see, the post number won't come thru on my home phone and gee, I don't answer the phone if I don't see the number. I really hate that. AND it's one less piece of state equipment for me to take care of. Haa ha. Let them have the dang thing.

Lance and I have been trying to figure out which direction to expand our garden to get the most sunlight. I am sorry to say that I think we may have to remove a few trees. :( The trees are one reason we bought this place. I want to plant a Maven garden, an indiginous (sp) flower garden, veggies of course and herbs.

Does anyone know of any other reputable distance learning herbology classes? I want to become a master herbalist, but CCNH wants almost $6500 for the courses. They will break it down in monthly payments, but I just don't have that kinda extra $$ money. I could work OT, but then I don't have time to study! Ho hum.
Also, I don't commit or pay by a certain date, the advisor told me that at the beginning of next month, the tuition is going to double due to new state regulations. Yikes! Any suggestions would be most welcome! thanks

I was able to speak with Dawn this evening. I have ordered 25 chicks that she is going to "chick sit" for me when they hatch in March. Lance and I are going to take a road trip to pick them up about mid-March. I can hardly wait! Lance is becoming a "farmgirl at heart" I think. He is just as into all this I am. He helped me clean out the plastics cabinet! He wants us to be able to go to the BBB, but I still don't know if we will be able to. Cross your fingers!

G'night all,

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  07:55:13 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, mavens! The newsletter is now available for reading.

We certainly are a newsworthy bunch. I don't give us enough credit. I had all the posts copied and reviewed last night and thought it would just take me an hour or so to put it together this morning. That was nearly four hours ago! Nope, I just don't give us enough credit. I had to finally stop or you might not have received it til tonight.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  08:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Marcy and Dawn, you HAVE to post here! http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28343 You have the greatest farm animal names, not to mention Alcatraz!!! And Cheryl, your hen studio, post about that too!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  09:18:27 AM  Show Profile
Morning Mavens - just a quick check in. I am feeling really motivated to get some things done around the house so when it is gardening season, I can just garden.
The PMS day has passed so I can function normally again:) It is always one day where I just get really blue, not my normal state fortunately.
Tina - you sound like a whirlwind, that's what you have to do when you have a task such as yours ahead though.
Ruth - I too want to plow up my whole yard, we have 3/4 acre even though we are right in town so I have to be realistic about what I can really get done. There are a couple of dying trees that have to come out - a mountain ash and a cherry:( Still have two cherry trees though. There is also a section that is just kind of overgrown with wild roses - I'm going to keep that there, good for the wildlife and pollinators.
I got an e-mail from SSE that they shipped my membership on Wednesday - I'm hoping that means a catalog
Other than that I am making a couple of really spring-y colored aprons and cleaning.
Hope you all have a wonderful day, I'm off to read the newsletter that our fabulous Karen has put together.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  09:37:07 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Karen, Again FABULOUS job! How blessed are we that we have you, you do such an amazing job!

Lora... I know what you mean,, Clayton College is awesome but spendy.. I have also looked into http://www.trinityschool.org/tuition.php Trinity seems to have great programs and are a little less &&. I would also tell you to check at your local Arborariam they often will offer herb classes.

I am still so gitty about the Mavens being featured in the Magazine. And May I say, I had nothing.. NOTHING to do with that. That was 100% the queen bee. She told me that there was going to be a little "blurb", in there, but I had NO idea! Which makes it so much more special to me.

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  09:56:24 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Afternoon Mavens!!! I finally got my copy of the magazine!! Thanks Dawn for the TSC reminder..when I called they were just unpacking their mags and they called me back to say they had it!!! Love those guys!!! Anyhow it had been snowing all morning(yesterday) the roads were yucky and I was headed north to get the boys but not before I went 30 minutes in the opposite direction just to get it!!!! COuldnt help myself and couldnt wait for the subscription to start!!!!

What can I say I am addicted!!

I plan on reading it today and hopefully getting some sewing started. Its still snowing and hope it clears a bit by tomorrow when I take the boys home!!!

And if you have a seed list even if its not complete just send it to me please.....so I dont get behind!!! :)

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  3:37:29 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Marcy, someday I dream of having a lamb just like yours and naming him "Baab Too." Now that you and Dawn have put your animals names in there I guess I should post ours. It will have to wait until Monday or later though because..............

My Christmas present from DH came in the mail today! Every issue of Mother Earth News on CD-rom from 1970-2008!!! You may not be hearing from me for awhile because I'll be devouring as much as I can the next few days. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........good stuff!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2009 :  6:47:15 PM  Show Profile
Wow Karen - what a great gift!! Be sure to take sustenance with you, you may forget to stop to eat:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  07:59:24 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Karen, I am so jealous! I think I have every issue of thier magazine from the last 5 years and I learn something everytime I pick one up....Great resource! Dont burry yourself to much, I will miss you. I set an alarm for Monday night chat so I wont forget... UGH! I get so distracted.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  08:04:46 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever heard of Abundant Life Seeds? I got a catalog from them. They are organics seeds but it doesn't say anywhere that they are heirloom.

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  08:10:27 AM  Show Profile
Karen, what a great gift. I hope you will share some tidbits when you take a breather from devouring information.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  08:41:11 AM  Show Profile
I too am going to have to set the alarm for the chat. I have no clue what time I'll get home from work as I will be in catalog hello. My poor fingers will be shot after fixin labels for 8-10 hours!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  7:54:36 PM  Show Profile
My goodness y'all are quiet today!!
Everything here is melting today, kind of nice to have a weather break - hope those of you who are in some weather-heavy areas are surviving. Not much going on, still not getting mail at the mailbox so I don't know if my SSE came.
I will miss the chat - my "land-line" chapter meeting is tomorrow and we haven't met since before Thanksgiving, will think about you all though
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 11 2009 :  8:02:49 PM  Show Profile
hey gals..sorry I have been away. been busy packing up a few more things. and then working on a couple of business type things as well.
hugs to you all. hope to chat with a few of you tomorrow evening.

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  07:04:01 AM  Show Profile
Hello! Mavens,
I am plugging away at school and laundry. Thought I would check in and say hello while the kids work on math.
It snowed a bit more here this weekend. We had a 50th anniversary party to go to yesterday. A very sweet couple but more than anything I wanted to stay home by the woodstove it was so cold. It will be in the teens and lower here this week. I don't think I will go anywhere.
I can't wait to get my chick catalog, Dawn. I really want some chicks this year.
I am looking at all these seed companies and trying to choose what I really want. It is so hard since I have a small space but want alot of different things.
Thanks to the AVM book and Barbara Kingslover this week our local grocery store had imported cherries on sale. I absolutely love cherries but because they weren't local I didn't buy any. I will wait until they're in season.
I also found a farmer's market that is indoors and open year round on Saturdays. I hope to make it there next Saturday.
Blessings,
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page