Page: of 217

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  05:40:42 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, mavens! I agree with whoever said that the Outhouse Hollyhocks should be the official flower of the mavens - given the turn of many of our conversations it just seems appropriate!

You mean I'm actually mentioned in the article? I'm sitting here in tears. I know I don't respond a lot to the kudos you all send because I just don't feel worthy of them. The newsletter is some I do out of love and would be doing something similar anyway just to keep everything straight in my mind. I haven't received my subscription yet or had a chance to get to a bookstore so I haven't seen the article. But just the thought...........it's so humbling. Rene'.................?

Gotta get ready for pantry deliveries.

Your humble servant............

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Jan 08 2009 06:12:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  06:54:39 AM  Show Profile
Aw Karen,
You deserve some recognition. We know you do it from the heart but it's nice that we can share the good fortune of having you as a part of this wonderful group with others. I'm grateful to whomever started the Mavens.

Corinne, Thanks so much for that wonderful fabric site. These things feed my addiction. LOL

Annika, So glad you are feeling better, but take it easy and don't do to much to soon!

Teresa Sue,
I know what you mean about needing to get some things done. I am off today and tomorrow and the list seems long but I am doing the absolutely necessaries today and tomorrow I'll see what's left.

Have a great day everyone!

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  06:58:18 AM  Show Profile
I'll be popping in and out too this week as I also have a list of things that have to get done around here.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  07:20:28 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Amy,
so are you guys having trouble with flooding? That has been our issue. Although we didn’t have near the snow that you all had...it was so warm here yesterday you would have thought it WAS spring. I just loved seeing the Sun after what seemed like forever of grey skies. The winds here have been AWEFUL... but I guess compared to the snow there.................we have it OK.

Corinne, I will try to get a copy emailed to you. About the Magazine, if you have trouble getting it let me know I would be happy to snail mail them to you... can’t have a sister go without, you know. Also, I have bumper stickers and I can mail one of those as well... WOW France....Can’t wait to hear all about it, all your stories and people you meet.

Hi Karen~~~~~

Dawn, isn’t it funny how sometimes the "universe" believes in US more then we believe in ourselves in certain moments in our lives. I remember once when life seemed hard and someone telling me "Well God must think you are amazing, or HE wouldn’t allow you to go through all that, because he only gives us what we can handle"... and in my own sarcastic charms... said, "well he has the wrong girl", I CANT DO THIS.... but of course I could, I just didn’t know then that I could. I was re-listening to "The MaryJanes Story" http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/video-library.asp on the website yesterday with some new prosserfarmchicks.. And again heard MaryJane say, "I don’t know about hard or easy, those words don’t work for me, it just is what it is".... and I was reminded how much I love that... (So much so, that I am stitching it on a pillow)....One of the things I am working on this year is to stop defining things as Hard, or Easy... and to learn to take them as they are, "Knowing" that God wouldn’t send it if I couldn’t handle it.

There is a saying that goes something like "Fear doesn’t come from the "thing" itself but rather from whether we think we can walk through the circumstances and come out the other side...............How true. Anyway, all that to say, it seems you are figuring all this out........Like you were in a tough "winter" and coming out and finding you're in the Spring.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)

Edited by - ruralfarmgirl on Jan 08 2009 07:58:26 AM
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  07:21:42 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
OH and Annika, it is so great to see you back posting again and feeling better.

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  07:47:59 AM  Show Profile
Rene - I love your posts. It always seems like the message I need to hear makes its way to me, and you have such a wonderful, sunny way of putting things.
I think I read that Outhouse hollyhocks were the ones planted around the outhouse so the ladies wouldn't have to ask where it was - you just looked for the outhouse, because of course ladies were above such things as outhouses!!
I would love to think we all had outhouse hollyhocks, I like the name of the collective farm woman melons too, wonder about the name from that one....
I am starting on 4 days off from work in a row - woohoo, hope I get some seed catalogs:)
Corinne - I know that the time I will be in Paris will be sometime between March 2 and March 12, will know more Monday or Tuesday.
Thinking of you all
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  08:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Denise and Karen, I LOVE bachlor buttons... there use to be fields of them back behind my grandparents place in my home town.

Amy, thanks.... Kind words as always.. I swear you are the sweetest person I know. I love the idea of all of us having outhouse hollyhocks too... around our little maven Manors.........Such a sweet idea. Amy and Corinne make sure to take pictures of your meeting in Pari'.. for us all to see.. what joy!

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  08:21:35 AM  Show Profile
I'm all for hollyhocks. Me thinks I will plant them around the shed (farm stand). I am hoping to finalize my seed lists tonight. I will post in the henhouse.

Did you all get a chance to look at the maven badge on the heirloom blog? Please have a look see.

okay, work is slow today so I'm going to try to find some other things to view online. Have a good day!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  08:58:39 AM  Show Profile
Dawn, very nice design for the Maven badge!

Denise
www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  09:40:00 AM  Show Profile
Help!! I just hit the "first day of PMS wall of despair" This happens one day every month (duh, amy grace) where I get down and unmotivated. If I'm at work it's no problem, gotta work, no choice,
When I'm home by myself I mope around and feel sorry for myself and think about everything being pointless - quick somebody kick me in the butt!!
Or say something funny
Hey has anybody heard from Marcy? She hasn't posted in a while, or how about Brenda?
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  09:59:26 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Lillian, as I was going throught the posts I noticed your request for info about Lillian's Yellow Heirloom tomatoes. I googled "lillian yellow heirloom tomato" and got 2070 hits! This site that sounded good:
www.victoryseeds.com "Victory Seed Company is a small, family owned and operated organization that works to preserve plant varieties by locating, growing, documenting and offering heirloom and rare open-pollinated seeds to home gardeners. We grow seed on our farm and help to support other seed farmers by purchasing from our network of growers."
Who knew your tomatoes were so popular???

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  10:04:21 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Snap out of it, AG, or I'll kick your butt to the outhouse! You'll land in the middle of all those hollyhocks but no one will find you cause they're so tall they'll hide you and you'll be in too much pain to get up yourself.

'Course I'm sorta there with ya. I started taking natural hormones just over three weeks ago - I no longer have that once a month blues issue to deal with. At least I didn't until I started the hormones and the last couple of days that's exactly what it feels like - PMSin'. Wait, I'll join you in the hollyhocks and after we're done slappin' each other out of the blues, we can pull each other up and get back on the horse.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  10:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens!! I am here andd finally got caught up! I have missed you all so much and definitely plan on checking in more often!!!

I am still trying to talk Dh into a laptop---he hates coming off of money!

Spent the week getting the house in order and clean. I decided to make curtains for the dining room and bedroom. We have blankets hanging in bedroom for curtains and nothing on dining room windows. I made the decision that our home was going to look like a home and not a bachelor pad. Its taken 3yrs but Dh is finally getting the idea!! Slowly!

My FIL got me a drying rack for Christmas!!! I told Dh I really really wanted one and I got one!! Set that up in the bathroom/laundry room today!! I think my FIL appreciates my farmgirlness. He loves my lamb and checks in on my garden..he even brought corn for the lamb and treats!!! My SIL and Dh want nothing to do with farming which is what their family does..so I think thats where I get the special treatment!! At least I have a mentor of sorts!!!

I love the badge!! And cant wait to make one of my own!!

Outhouse Hollyhocks!! Perfect!! Last fall, we found a hollyhock in the field where we want to build so I dug it up and its in a pot in my yard!! Very resilient plant! I dont know how it never managed to get torn up with planting and harvesting but I think it was a sign. Something beautiful can happen on that land!!

So, with that I am off to the henhouse!!!

Hope everyone is having a great day inspite of the weather or sickness or business of life!!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  11:06:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Karen - something about the picture of the hollyhocks/outhouse/not being able to get off the ground has cheered me up - that after I quit laughing, good thing I didn't bring my coffee to the computer today, would have been coffee all over - out my nose, on the keyboard....
Yay - Marcy checked in, glad to hear from you. I would say that hollyhock is definitely a sign.
Okay Mavens, I am going to drive to town (drum roll please) in my own car!! I know, shocking, an adult woman driving herself to town, but it has been three weeks since I could navigate. DH said the side streets are still yuckky but I will stick to the main drags. I have to go to the bank, the library, the movie store (to get french movie to practice with) and the fabric store - yes I have to go to the fabric store, not to purchase anything, just to catch up with my friend who owns it. Hopefully I will find some inspiration while I am there
I will check in with you all later
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224

Edited by - graciegreeneyes on Jan 08 2009 11:07:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  11:17:18 AM  Show Profile
AG: you better snap out of it, I have had rounds with Karen but the hollyhock up the wazoo scares me a little! I'm picturing you shish-ka-bobbed....heehheeeee.

Marcy girl, I LOVED talking with you today!

KAREN! I LOVED talking with you today as well.....!!!!!!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  12:13:05 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Karen, Way to kick a girl when she is down.. Poor AMY.. I have one word for you girlfriend... MENOPAUSE.. it is devine!!!...........Although before that I used Hormone Creme, helped me over those rough hormaonal patches.

Ok, I am no "light weight" but really.. I walked outside and was about blown into the next county.. I am sick of the wind.. However, my little farmgirl weight trainer told me to get my BUTT out there and walk.. the resistance was GOOD... did I mention I hate her? hahhaha :)

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  12:20:21 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Rene', it worked, didn't it? Just trying to give her a visual that would make her laugh and apparently it did. So if the hormone creme is supposed to help, why am I PMSing when I have no PM's to S?

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  12:29:10 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Karen,
Proof that some folks just need tough love
Yes it seemed to work very well..

And I have no answer to the WHY's of your condition. I am doing fine.. (Well if disrobing in public is considered normal behavior ), although I can't recall ever being called Normal so what am I worrying about?

Edited by - ruralfarmgirl on Jan 08 2009 12:30:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  12:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Karen, it's a mystical Maven thing... We are all sisters connected. =)
So you can (nicely =P ) kick AG's heiny for sharing her PMS with us.
Amy Grace, I DO hope that you get over the PMS, it is so not fun.

Okay, I'm in deep trouble. I started looking at the Thompson and Morgan seed book and ...*throws a tantrum*
Too many flowers! I want at least a third of them darnnit!

Rene, I'm gettin' the same wind here, 'bout lost my head going out there! you are a superwoman for walking in it..gotta go for an appointment so I'll be in the next county too...don't know which one, but I'll be there ;) This wind can cut it out any time by me.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  4:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh my goodness - I hope we don't all get that PMS. I really don't want to share that...
I have dragged myself out of the outhouse of despair - here's hoping I didn't drag any of you there with me. Went to town today, it was nice to function on my own as an adult for a day:) Got the fabric to finish two spring colored aprons - I am really a dork sometimes when it comes to getting the right yardage, not sure why. Talked to some more of my women friends, that was nice too, did a little venting about the ever-present college basketball game on the TV, that is one of the things contributing to my stir-craziness.
The wind is wild today Annika and Rene - hope you were able to keep your feet on the ground. It is melting the snow though, so that's okay
I heard a program on the BBC on my way home on.....(wait for it) yes, that's right, honeybees and GMOs and how genetic modification is contributing to the disappearance of honeybees. Hmmm, now where have I heard that before, oh wait it's coming to me, the new MJF issue, and, um, the Mavens!! Talk about synchronicity!! Can't wait to plant my garden with heirlooms. This weather gives me hope that spring will come again.
So, thanks for the kick into the outhouse Karen, just what I needed.
Hope everybody else had a really good day
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  4:48:31 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
My MJ magazine came today! Now I know what y'all are talking about. Whew! it makes a lot more sense on this side of the curtain.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

P.S. TS, I was just over at the henhouse and Christina (City_Chick) is signing on for the HMBC read this month! It had been awhile since she posted (back in September) but she did sign up for the henhouse.

Being the PQ's that we are, she's had a little trouble keeping up here. I told her just to jump in and say "Hi" so everyone, please give her a hearty maven welcome if she works up her bravery quotient!

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Jan 08 2009 4:54:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  4:54:26 PM  Show Profile
Karen - I was in the same boat till yesterday, now of course I have read the entire thing!!
I love getting the new magazine, it is like having a very dear friend come to visit. Then when I drag out the old ones and reread them it is like homecoming
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  4:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
I know what you mean, Amy Grace. I've read so much of MJ's writings that now it's like sitting down with an old friend for a chat. I can almost hear her voice when I'm reading. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  5:01:57 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, before I forget to post this for the umpteenth time, here's a gardening tidbit:

When you start your plants inside, as they are growing brush your fingers lightly over them every day and it will make them stronger. You can also use a light piece of cardboard to do this if you have a large number of seedlings started. Since the plants aren't forced to stand up to the elements like they would if they were outside, gently stroking them will cause them to dig in their roots and not become spindly. This tidbit is courtesy of "The Rodale Herb Book" (copywright 1974 - the year I grajeeatid high school).

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jan 08 2009 :  5:09:30 PM  Show Profile
re: bees...all the more reason to plant native to your area..wild flower seeds.
the bees will love you for it.

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page