Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  05:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Rene' I had known that Sunny left the farm, I didn't know why, I just didn't know if Gabe had to do all of that part by himself or what. I wasn't criticzing, I know Gabe does a fabu job and he has, on more than one occasion gone the extra mile for me. In fact, I have to say every single one of my experiences with the people who work/live at farm have been very pleasant indeed.

Good morning Mavens.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  08:35:05 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, mavens! Good morning, Dawnzo - I know you're at work but didn't want you to think you'd been forgotten already. heh heh heh

Don't know about the rest of you mavens but I am so pumped for the new year. I'm excited about getting my house in order - devoting most of January to that. Getting the seedlings and outdoors in order - that's February. And really kicking up the FQ (farmgirl quotient) in my life.

This morning Robbie and I figured out how to set up the shelves and lighting for starting seeds in the basement bathroom (thank you, Annika, for the idea). Plus we will be utilizing Gus' dog crate for some also. The ideas are just flyin' through my head today. I found an arial picture that was taken of our place probably 25 years ago. A lost of it has grown up since my cousin bought 3 acres of it about that time and after about 5 years just let everything go. We bought it back about 8 years ago but haven't done much with it and the barn roof is falling in - beyond repair by the time we got it. We're just waiting for it to collapse and then see what we've got left. But I digress - back to the picture. We were looking at it this morning and figuring which areas we want to reclaim first. Pretty exciting stuff for me since I never thought I'd be staying here. Plus, I have a wild idea to turn our large front yard into an herb and flower garden. It will need to be terraced and will take several years to get it there. I just need to figure out how to do it so it doesn't look desolate in the winter time. Landscaping ideas would be most welcome.

Okay, that's my brain dump for the morning. Glad to hear so many maven voices out there.

Tina, what a wonderful thing that you got to hook up with Zan. That feel-like-I've-known-you-forever seems to be built in to the farmgirls. It's a condition of the heart!

Amy Grace, what a good idea to help TS with the land. Great way to earn those badges.

TS, I've had the same experience with everyone I've dealt with at the farm. Without exception, they are all wonderful to work with.

Okay, I'm bringing up the www.organictobe.org site right now and checking it out.

Annika, how are you doing, hon? Feeling any better today?

Later, mavens. Have a wonderful day.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  12:18:09 PM  Show Profile
Hello~ Mavens~

It feels like years since I've been here with you. I am patiently awaiting the new monitor. Today, I took down the tree and all the decorations and did some major cleaning. The kids had to help. I went grocery shopping and now I wanted to say hello to all of you. Yesterday, was a great day. We just hung out, played bowling on the Wii, and watched the Wilderness Family~Part 1&2. Have any of you ever watched them. They're old but I love them. I also watched Off the Grid on Planet Green the other day. I loved it. I wished we could do that. That would be my dream.

Dawn~I tried to call you at work today but then it said it was a charge of $5 plus and I needed to dial a different number. I don't know what happened. I checked it over a couple of times and I had the right number. I wanted a chicken catalog but most of all I thought I could chat with you for a bit. I am so sorry to hear that it's rough going back to work. I would love to do some sewing for you. Let me know if you still need it. BTW, what seeds do you have available?

That's all I can manage on here today. I will go blind if I'm here much longer. Just know I am thinking of all my maven farmgirl friends.

Blessings,
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  12:23:32 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon Mavens.. It snoon thirty here & I have not eaten breakfast.. hmmmmmm Wonder why my tummy isn't begging for chicken scratch.. Could be I am plum full from Everything I ate yesterday? Better at least go have a piece of fruit.
How are my new friends today?

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  1:55:39 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Ruth, how good to hear from you! I haven't seen the Wilderness Family but did get some VHS tapes of Five Mile Creek at a yard sale last summer. Have you heard of that series? I haven't watched them yet (saving them for being snowed in this winter) but I'm thinking they're probably along similar lines.

Cheryl, didja fill that tummy before the rumbles hit?

Dawn, just tried to call you and got the same thing Ruth did. Tried on the cell phone first and it was $9.99 there to sign up for some kind of service to be able to get your number.

Mavens, I forgot to mention it here last time I signed on but there's a message in the henhouse under project discussions/Maven's beginner's guide for your review.

Didn't plan it but I've been doing a reorg on my pantry today. I didn't think it would be a major job but it's turning out that way. I now have almost everything put into boxes and it's time to reload. Good thoughts and prayers would be appreciated as it's now decision time (what stays, what goes, what to do with what goes, where to put what stays, etc) and as I think I've mentioned before, I'm really bad at making decisions. Will let you know how things turn out. I'm hoping it's badge-worthy by the time it's all done!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

P.S. TS, I love the "organic to be" website! When I saw the article by Gene Logsdon I thought that name sounded familiar. I was reading a bit in the MaryJane Ideabook last night and there it was on the page I'd flagged. I marked it because reading the sidebar on pg. 163 I felt like I was sitting there talking with MaryJane and she just reached over, picked up her book and said, "Look what happens when I read a Gene Logsdon book. It turns into a Post-It porcupine..." And there he was - right on the home page of the website talking about fire fiddling. Robbie was just talking about the art of making fires yesterday. All these things coming together is like a puzzle when all the pieces fit but you didn't know what the picture was going to be. Way cool!

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Jan 02 2009 2:05:53 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  2:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Meyer's Hatchery phone # correction: 1-888-568-9755.

I just talked to Dawn who was astounded that there was a potential $5 charge. She said, "maybe it's 888 instead of 800." I tried that and sure enough, it worked!

Will try to call you at work on Monday, girlfriend!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  2:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Karen I love Gene Logsdon. I am trying to get all his books, I have many, he is just so common sense. Although I am more pro organic than he is, but he is coming around, lol. He is AWESOME. I'm not a good "follower", but I would shake that man's hand if I was given the chance!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:17:29 PM  Show Profile
Karen, I ate anapple and it filled me up and a handful of mixed nuts. I will have a nice dinner for sure.
Also I have emailed to get joined up in the mavens but have not received access . I emailed Gabelike you suggested got no reply so I emailed Carol still no reply. I just emailed Carol again to see if I had the correct contact info? How long does it take to get the door clearance to post?

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:24:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Rene' said in an earlier post that Gabe has been gone and he will be back soon. I expect you'll be able to get in then.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:26:24 PM  Show Profile
Ok thanks Teresa Sue. I will cluck quietly here... :)

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Hey, Cheryl! Entrance to the henhouse depends on how busy things are at the farm. I think when there's a lot going on there it takes a bit longer and Rene' said Gabe is juggling a lot on his plate right now. He'll get you in a.s.a.p. Until then, if you want to comment on anything in the henhouse, we set up a separate thread for Honorary Heirloom Mavens (those who aren't in the sisterhood proper yet). Here's the link: http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=25556 You can respond here to anything posted in the henhouse until you get your clearance. It's there so henhouse topics don't get lost in the DOE thread. We can have some massive posting days at times!

I'm working on the newsletter, mavens. Hope to have it ready by morning, but it may take til noon if my brain locks up. Hey, it's happened!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:34:12 PM  Show Profile
Thank You Karen.. I ill try that.. I don't quite understand all this henhouse stuff yet..But I am getting there...You are all so kind.

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:35:04 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Awwwwwwwwwww!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:35:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
ahhhhaaahaahh....it's our evil plan.........oh, wait, that's not it, lol. We just love you Cheryl,lol!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:37:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Well as I have spent way too much time on the computer in the last couple of months, I am going to say GOODNIGHT!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:51:32 PM  Show Profile
oh yeah.... I'm a totally knot head... 888 568..9755. Big Red Truck! That is so funny. See my dad was backing the car up one day and my step mom was like "jimmie youre gonna hit that truck!" Dad didn't listen. He hit the truck and was like "why didn't anyone say anything?" We were all like:
DUH, BIG RED TRUCK! HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Okay, I'm off to bed. with visions of columbian wyandottes in my head!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  5:53:20 PM  Show Profile
Good night TS! have a good evening and a restful sleep.
We are really starting to take off here and getting out gardening juices flowing. I can practically taste those sun warmed ripe tomatoes MMMM! Can't wait to go play in the mud! Heirlooms forever!

I'm feeling a bit better today, Thanks Denise and Karen. I have permanent digestive tract problems and sometimes they flare up bad and leave me feeling like poo for a while, I may be starting to feel like myself again...we shall see.

Anyhoo, hello *waving* to all of my sweet Maven sisters...Still digging out of this mornings storm and getting ready for the next one :p tired of thigh deep snow...A little snow is nice, just not so danged much of it!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  6:26:54 PM  Show Profile
MMhmm - Annika I am so with you on the snow. I was so mentally unprepared for this winter it's not even funny. "no" I said, "it can't be another winter like last year" I said, "what are the odds?"
Heavy Sigh.
Cheryl - I can just see you clucking quietly
Karen - I just cleaned my pantry and kitchen cupboards this week - it felt so good. It was getting to the point where cooking stressed me out because something always fell out of the pantry on my head. No longer. Plus I discovered duplicates of numerous items that I didn't know I had like two large jars of sundried tomatoes, what a dork!!
I'm glad you guys figured out the phone number mystery - I had visions of Meyer hatchery trying to raise some extra cash with a chicken sex hotline or something:) I'm relieved that the world of chicken hatchery is still pure.
Corinne - thank you for the seeds!! I am so excited
Tina - how fun to meet another farmgirl.
Talk to you all soon
Amy Grace
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2009 :  6:38:59 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Hey Cheryl,
Thanks for your patience on the hen house, with the magazine deadline, the holidays and all things are a little backed up. But when gabe gets back on Monday you will start seeing things move.. HE is amazing!!! I was so glad that he and the rest of the crew took some time over the holidays to re-fuel (dont we all need that from time to time).. Until then, if there is anything I can do please feel free to email me and I will see what "rabbits I can pull out of my hat"......Gabe will hit the floors running again Monday Jan 5th...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  06:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Taht dah dah dah!!! (Think old parkay commercial)

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28070

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  06:53:45 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning/evening Mavens.

Today dh is working, it's his short weekend, and I can't go play anywhere cause even my Subaru,aka driftbuster, is snowed in, in the driveway.......which means I am going to have to go shovel the mailbox out.....again.

I'm going to do chores until noon and then I'm going to go work on my 30's quilt.

Good to hear from you Annika and Amy Grace, you both know the the troubles I've seeeeeen, the snnnooowww tooo bbbbeeee shhoveeled (sung to a tune I don't remember, lol, told ya I couldn't carry a tune in a bucket! Ha!

Dawn! I miss you already. You make me laugh. See-we-ous Qwest-chon? Does that sewing basket have the inserts in it to keep things seperated? Walk tall and step lightly, chicken poop zone!

I read something interesting about tomatoes, did you know the smaller varieties are more frost resistant? I thought that would be a good thing to know. I guess that's one thing that really appeals to me about gardening, you can never get to smug thinking you know it all, because Mother Nature has a way of just knocking you on your assets when you get too full of yourself, there is always something new to learn.

Ruth I think that moniter must be walking to NJ!

Hi Cheryl & Rene' & Karen!!!!Denise, Corrine, Lillian, Sue, Marcy, Alee, Lora, Brenda, Dalyn, Christine & Tina were are youuuuuuu?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Jan 03 2009 07:00:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  06:59:41 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Just want to make sure everyone sees this so I'm posting a link here.

http://www.maryjanesfarm.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=28051

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  07:29:55 AM  Show Profile
Happy Belated New Year Everyone! New Years day was a lounge and do nothing day for me, which is rare for me. I enjoyed it though. Dh and I were supposed to go grocery shopping yesterday when BIL called and said that they had a possible tornado rip through their place in the middle of the night and needed help removing trees. As you know a tornado in these parts is very rare! They live about 30 miles from us. They were so lucky! The only real damage for them was to their truck and a tree went through the shop. My Nephew was actually staying the night over here, if he would have been home one of the fallen trees would have crushed his jeep. We loaded up the genarator and chainsaws and headed over to clear their driveway and property. I was pooped last night!! So I am just droping in to say Hi this morning before we head ot to go grocery shoping. Hopefully tomorrow will be quieter and I can catch up on the thread. Have a wonderful day.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  07:38:04 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Wow! Glad it all turned out okay Lillian. Doesn't it make you feel good to know you and yours can handle that kind of thing.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 03 2009 :  09:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Good Morning all.. I am getting to the computer a little later these days as I am doing some excercises prior to sitting down at the desk..... Ha, we will see how long that lasts....I am meeting one of my Prosserfarmchicks for coffee here in a little bit ( one of my favorite things to do) as we are plotting the new year and the classes and meetings we will be holding. Monday things get back to normal around here as dh will be back at work, kiddos in school etc....in part I am looking forward to getting back to routine, but of course I wish they could be home with me all the time.... Christmas was awesome, low keyed, lots of board games and card games and walks in the snow.... Perfect really....

Karen out did herself again with the newsletter... WOW... how lucky are we to have found her? I think that of all the mavens... I couldnt ask for a more amazing group of women to learn from, thanks to all of you for your willingness to give and give and give.... I am looking forward to re-reading "gardening with heirlooms" for the book club read....she also has a website you can check out. Very interresting lady and interresting articles on her site.....http://www.lynncoulter.com/ OK off to shower and coffee.. be back later... have a GREAT day, ladies....

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page