K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  11:14:48 AM  Show Profile
TeresaSue, I am checking in at the book store today. I hope that have those books in stock.. Thanks for the info.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  12:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Great Cheryl, hope you can find them local. Have you read "Animal, Miracle, Vegetable" by Barbara Kingsolver? If you can it is a must read!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  3:18:58 PM  Show Profile
Happy New year Mavens! I just got a call from work and looks like I'm back to work next week! I can't believe it. I've been off work since the end of October..... part of me is pretty excited and part of me does NOT want to go back.... sigh, however, chick hatching waits for no one and I bet the parent stock is mighty close to laying. Gone are the days of posting with you all day. Gone are the days of making jewelry for 6 hours or sewing...... I'm actually bummed! However, the money will be welcome and maybe some child support will be paid! HA! If they only knew what I spent on her in the last 4 days! Well girls, tomorrow is it. My final day of freedom... Farewell my friends! I will be suffering from Maven Withdrawl!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  3:20:28 PM  Show Profile
PS: I will be at work Friday if anyone wants to call and get their chicken catalog! We will be mailing them out within the next 3 weeks. 800...568.9755 my extention is 116.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  3:23:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Can I get one even if I can't get any chickens yet? Do you have heirloom breeds? Tell me what your hours are going to be, do you know yet. I found out today that I'm already back to working three days a week at the cafe again. I was looking forward to just working two, sigh, I'm tired of working. At least at something I can't get too enthused about.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:28:18 PM  Show Profile
I get to meet a fellow farm girl tomorrow..woo hoo! I get to meet Zan from New York.
yeah!
----

~I Dream of a Better World..where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned!~
blogs:http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and http://thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
magazine: www.stliving.net
etsy shops: http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:31:52 PM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue. Yes I have read Animal ,Miracle, Vegetable. I had to order the Organic cold climate book. It should be here ina few days. Dh & I just hiung the door on the "girl's Home.. We only need thehinges for the window & chicken yard fenced. Then We can go pickthem up at the "chicken nanny's". I am really becoming a nag about getting it DOne & getting the chicken.. When I came home from town, He was working on the door.. after telling me he was not going to work on that project today.. *shaking my head* I never know what that Man is thinking..

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

You cannot do a kindness too soon because you never know how soon it will be too late.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:36:59 PM  Show Profile
*pouting after answering the phone* Borders Express just called.. The book on cold climate gardening is Out of Print..Now I must check for a used one.. Which I don't mind.. I just geot impatient & wanted it Now.. Oh well back to the Amazon used books online page.

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Yea, I know what you mean Cheryl, I've been married to mine for 32y and sometimes I just wonder what is going on with him, lol. I have to admit the poor guy hasn't stood a chance tho, I was such a quiet girl when he married me, I have morphed into "contrary wife" over the years. You are able to get chicks this time of year? You have a fairly temperate climate where you are in Oregon? I can't get any chickens until we get moved to our Idaho property, sigh. I just ordered that Organic cold climate book too, I can't wait to get mine.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:39:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I got mine from Amazon, just ordered it yesterday.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:47:41 PM  Show Profile
No I cannot get chicks here yet.. But I have a lady who is going to sell me (6 & one rooster. the hens are already laying since Oct.) She has too many and she lives only 20 minutes from me. She offered to Chicken nanny them until We got the House ready...

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  4:49:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh, that's awesome......I'm jealous. Were you able to find your book on Amazon?

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  6:17:26 PM  Show Profile
Hey you two - I have had good luck finding books on half.com too.
I am so ready for spring - 5 feet of snow in just under 2 weeks is just ridiculous. The chain of stores I work for was on national news this morning - one of the store roofs collapsed. Fortunately they were able to get everyone out and there was only one minor injury. Evidently as the store manager was yelling "the roof is collapsing, get out of the store" there was a customer saying "I'm not leaving without my eggnog" unbelievable - he didn't get his eggnog either.
I am joining SSE this week - can't wait to get another seed catalog. I have to say I am not really thrilled with the way the Baker Creek catalog is organized. I am pretty anal (or that's what I've been accused of anyway)and I like things in alphabetical order. There are some lovely things in it though so I am planning on ordering.
Well it's just me and DH at home tonight DS had a party of sorts to go to - a bunch of teenage boys hanging out in a basement playing video games, parents right upstairs, they are practically in our backyard so I have no worries. So our riotous evening will include some hot cocoa and a 9pm bedtime:)
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  6:34:12 PM  Show Profile
HAPPY NEW YEAR SISTA'S Lets Hope for a Prosperous, Healthy and Hopeful New year..There are so many Changes Coming...God Bless & Keep you safe! nightie Night..** Toot tooot...Wahhhhooooooooooooooo!

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  6:56:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hey Amy Grace, I saw that about the stores on the local news yesterday. I think the Baker Creek catalog is wierd too. I just don't like things so shiny, LOL, at least not in publications, I like shiny beads, gems, dishes, glassware,.........perhaps I was a magpie in another life, lol. I also don't like the catalog's size, it's...just odd. But I do like their seed offerings and I think they are doing a great job with the heirloom seeds.
Did y'all fill out Corinnes Maven info sheet, that was kinda fun. Rene' you sent your out to all of us, I understood Corinne was going to compile them and then send them to all of us, maybe I misunderstood.
Well, we went all out for New Year's Eve, DH had chili dogs and fries, I had chile cheese fries(don't eat hot dogs any more, :P, can't get past the thought, ick. Anyway, I'm going to go do dishes, bath, and probably be in bed by 8:30 the latest, so in Corinne's tradtion, I am going to wish all of you, dear, dear Mavens, a Happy End of Year.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Dec 31 2008 :  9:58:06 PM  Show Profile
Happy New Year dear Mavens, may this year be paceful, simple and happy and may all the ones we love stay happy and healthy as we are.
Cheryl, check www.powells.com, you might find one of the books you want.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  06:04:28 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Happy Maven New Year! May this year be the best you’ve ever had.

Amy Grace, we’re going to double-dig this year too. We have Mantis tiller but didn’t use it last year and after hubby mentioning all the worms that get caught in the tilling process, I want to do as little of that as possible. We’ll see how I hold up with all the digging…….

Cristine, I just signed up for my Southern Exposure catalog. Thanks for the info.

Dawn, sympathies/congratulations on going back to work. So sorry you’ll lose your creative time/yea, more $$.

TS, if I remember right I think Meyer’s does have heirloom chickens.

Tina, yay! You were just saying you wished there was a farmgirl near you.

Cheryl, check our www.alibris.com too. I used it last month and got some great deals on Rodale original copy books. I had a better delivery time from Experience LLC than Alibris but all the books were in really good condition.

Amy Grace, glad to hear there were no major injuries after the roof collapse. I love eggnog too but geesh! I want to live to drink more of it.

TS, filled out my info. Started reading the next book.

Corinne, I wished the cashier a happy end of the year yesterday when I was running errands. I told her I had a friend from France (I love saying that!) and explained the tradition.

DH and I spent last night looking at lights one more time, watched a Hallmark movie when we got home and then to bed at 10pm. Our tradition used to be to spent the night in the living room in front of the fire but since we got the cats and Gussie, it isn’t very restful. So we’re having the fire today. I also bought a spiral cut ham at Whole Foods – while they still have them – and am making that today. I’m using a recipe from my Gooseberry Patch cookbook, Dawn. That is, if I can find it!

Off to get the day started. Have a wonderful one mavens.

Mornin’ Ralph.

‘Night, Corrine.

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9329 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9329 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  06:21:05 AM  Show Profile
Happy 1st day of 2009 dear Mavens! Hope everyone stays healthy this year. Looking through the seed catalogs is my plan for the day today. Oh and putting on a pot of soup and making bread to go along with it. I love homemade whole wheat bread fresh from the oven. mmmmmmmmm!

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  07:00:19 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Has anyone heard from Annika? I sent her an e-mail yesterday and haven't heard anything back yet. I'm getting concerned.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  07:31:28 AM  Show Profile
Hello Mavens, hope you are starting the year with spending a fun and happy day.
Karen, I've sent her a couple of emails for no avail. I hope all is well for them. Hey so you have a french friend, how nice (grin)
Denise, how do you get to make bread when your wrist is unwell ?
I use Alibris.com, biblio.com, and powells.com for used book, and have been happy with them.
thanks for answering the "Getting to know you" questions, we are 9 who have answered them yet and it is a lot of fun to get to know you, literally.
Good day to you,
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  07:41:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Happy New Year Mavens!!!!! A Toast, to all my dear friends here, that you may have the best gardening season you have ever had, you and yours are healthy and fed, that you may always see sunshine, even when things are dark.

Corinne did my questions make it to you?

Dawn, I can just imagine how you felt when you were watching the show about the gmo tomatoes, I would have been frothing around the mouth too!

Tina, how did it come about you meeting up with Zan?

I am guessing poor Annika is dealing with the snow/weather, especially if she still has to take care of her landlady's livestock. You just can't believe the winter we are having here this year. Last night the weather lady gave us the numbers, we have had 123" of snow this season, keep in mind we average 43" in a normal season. I hope she is doing okay.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  07:57:00 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue and all the Mavens who got back to me, many thanks. You and I have a lot of common answer, wonders if it is because we are both aquarius.
Dawn and Teresa Sue good news about your jobs, even if you do not feel like it today.
Because I am not working any more, I am more conscious about what I can spend on myself (quilt fabric for one, seeds and books) I miss not having my own money and deciding what to do with it.
Amy Grace, so happy to hear that the collapsing roof didn't hurt anybody.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  07:58:02 AM  Show Profile
I've just sent you the newest version on the Mavens info after adding Dalyn's.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  08:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Corinne, you're a dear to go to all that trouble, but it is much appreciated.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2009 :  08:08:13 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
TS, what a wonderful toast.

Dawn, I'm weird in that I "like" watching those shows. They get me worked up too but I love learning that stuff so I have more ammunition to use when someone says "Isn't it amazing how what they can do to make plants stronger these days? The technology is really something." Oh, it's something alright!!!

TS, I may have posted this before but Robbie is quite the weather buff. He says the sun is in a period now where there are a lot of sunspots so there isn't as much warmth getting to the earth. Hence the cooler summer we just had and this crazy winter. Lack of sunspots is why we've had several warmer than normal winters and blazing summers. Global warming doesn't help but it isn't the whole cause. Thus says my personal meteorologist.

I'm wondering if the phone lines are down and Annika can't post right now. I keep thinking I wish I had her phone number but if the lines are down, it wouldn't do any good anyway. I'll just keep praying she's okay.

And speaking of praying, Lora, every time I see a police car pulled over to the side of the road, I think of you, get in the next lane and say a prayer for you. And hey! stay safe out there. (I'm trying to do the Hill Street Blues line but not sure it's right.)

Ham's in the oven. Hubbie's bringing in wood for the fire. We're settled in for the day.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page