Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  09:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
You betcha Karen, come on dooooowwwwnnn Dalyn! Join in our Maven crazieness, lol
Good morning/evening Mavens, good to hear from you, miss all that haven't checked in, in a while.
Does anyone know offhand about tomatoes crosspollinating with each other, okay, I'm being lazy here,lol, I could look it up, but hey, I admitted I'm being lazy!LOL!
I'll try to be at the chat tonight.
Okay, I've gotta go take the tree and other deco DOWN!!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

QueenofQuiteAlot
True Blue Farmgirl

865 Posts

Dalyn
Milk 'n Honey Ranch Central, WA
USA
865 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  09:59:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi ladies! When you find out how pathetic are my gardening efforts each year, you may ban me from this thread, but I'm gonna take a chance...*U*
I really want to have a good garden with organic, heirloom seeds to start with. I want to be able to save my own seeds for the future and give them to others too. I admit I am swamped with horses, goats, dogs, cats, poultry, kids, and the soap business, but I feel it's doable. (If someone else would just come and DO it!)

So...here I am. Take me as I am sisters *U*

Dalyn

~Hick Chicks Soap Barn ~
www.hickchickssoapbarn.com

Homespun Raw Goat Milk Soaps 'n More

http://muckbootsnaprons.blogspot.com/
http://proverbs31nubians.blogspot.com/

Muckboots 'N Aprons at Home Chapter
http://yakimafarmgirls.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  10:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by QueenofQuiteAlot

I really want to have a good garden with organic, heirloom seeds to start with. I want to be able to save my own seeds for the future and give them to others too.

Dalyn! You came!!! You have a maven's heart. Those two sentences sum up how we all feel.

Welcome, my dear! And you have e-mail!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Maven's Haven Editor
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  10:07:17 AM  Show Profile
Hello ladies, I decided to follow Daylin over here to glean some knowledge as well.. DH and I had our first garden together this past year. We planted a bit late so this year we want to get a good start. We'd like to have a greenhouse someday too.
I wonder what heirloom tomatoes are the easiest to grow here in Klamath Falls Oregon. High desert? It doesnt get extremely hot but we do not have a long growing season.

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  10:25:51 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Wow! A two-fer!!! Welcome, Cheryl! We have several mavens from the Oregon/Washington/Idaho area so you should be able to get plenty of suggestions here.

Dalyn and Cheryl, we're each putting together our seed-buying lists and giving them to Marcy (Marcy Jo) and Amy Grace (graciegreeneyes). That way if there's overlap we can swap. So be thinking about what you'd like. Remember to check out www.rareseeds.com (Bakers Creek) and www.seedsavers.org (Seed Savers Exchange) for heirloom seeds. Bountiful Gardens ( www.bountifulgardens.org ) and Thompson Morgan ( www.thompson-morgan.com ) are a couple of others. I'm personally limiting myself to Bakers Creek and Seed Savers for now so I don't get too overwhelmed since this is my first year for heirloom plants.

Okay, here's a question for everyone: What did you plant in your gardens last year? We had tomatoes (Roma & ?), summer squash, cucumbers, okra, bell peppers and a fingerling eggplant - all organic. I had the usual sage, thyme, oregano, basil, parsley and sage in the herb garden. I think I'm starting from scratch with it this year though since we want everything to be heirloom. Your turn..........

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  10:29:40 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Dalyn and Cheryl,
Welcome, Welcome, Welcome.. Make sure to join in the hen house too, MaryJane's Mavens as we have a lot of info over in the hen house as well... Hopefully you have been enjoying the newsletters as well....And be watching for a special surprise on the 1st...

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  10:31:16 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
What surprise? Any hints, Rene???

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  10:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
NO!!!!!! :) good try tho.. If I told you, it wouldnt be a surprise!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  11:42:45 AM  Show Profile
Welcome Dalyn and Cheryl!!!!!! This is the place to be!!!!!! Everybody has so much to share.

TS- I have read that there isn't much cross-pollinating between tomatos. This will be my first year at saving tomato seeds. I usually plant 7-10 varieties and was thinking about this subject the other day too. My plan is to cover a few blossoms with a netting bag until I have tomatos then I will mark the stem and remove the bag to let the tomatos grow. Don't know how well this will work, but I'm gonna try. I also will grow 1 plant in the greenhouse to ensure purity and tomatos until december!

Karen-My free seed packet was Austin's Red Pear Tomato! I hit the jackpot on that one!

What did I grow in my garden last year-
12 varieties of Tomatos
8 varieties of Peppers
3 varieties of Carrots
6 varieties of Beans
Brussel sprouts
Broccoli
Cauliflower
Corn
10 varieties of Lettuce
Pok Choi
Spinach
Beets
Cabbage
3 varieties Cucumbers
Ground Cherries
Tomatillos
Gourds
Onions
Green Onions
Watermelon
Cantelope
3 varieties Potatos
Peas
Pumpkins
5 varieties Squash
Strawberries
Asparagas
Celery
Radishes
Herbs-Cilantro, Dill, Oregano, Yarrow,Basil, Parsley, and started some new Rosemary plants
I am sure something was left off the list. Last night we ate a stirfry for dinner and it contained some pok choi and cabbage I picked from the greenhouse this week.

Cheryl- any tomato will probably work in your area, what kind would you like? Slicing, paste, cherry, canning? I have some good suggestions for all of those. Just let me know.

Back to house cleaning for now. BBL

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  12:08:34 PM  Show Profile
Welcome ladies! I am thrilled that you've come on over. =) We are all about to enter into ecstatic garden babble, you will love it here.

I had a broken ankle last summer and my garden fizzled :P But I have a lot of seed saved back though not all of it is heirloom. Gonna try for a mostly heirloom garden this year. I need to find varieties that don't require a ton a water, but other wise I'm excited to try any and all heirlooms that I can grow. Since I need to plant a lot of things just for our table I am carefully considering what I am going to try and save seeds from when I plan my garden since things can cross breed depending on the species you are talking about...sooooo, since I want to plant several different types of tomato and pepper, it wont be that. But maybe eggplant or winter squash...I mean. Do pumpkins cross with crook necks? I'll have to study what to plant then I can make my seed saving plan.

My brain is in hyper garden frenzy mode still from all of the catalogues and I just cant decide what to try.....Too many choices! darn! I want to plant everything.

BTW Rene, you are a terrible tease! the 1st is still days away! what could our surprise be????????

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  12:13:31 PM  Show Profile
So say I want to order something from gurney's...is there a database out there that can tell you whether this is really an open pollinated heirloom? just because it doesn't say hybrid doesnt mean it's not GMO right?
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  12:33:44 PM  Show Profile
http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=540&whichpage=2

This page has the list of non GMO seed companies. We checked out a bunch, but there are probably some that have their own type of Seed Safe Pledge that we are not sure of yet.

Welcome to the group!!

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  12:58:34 PM  Show Profile
hey there to whomever wanted the seeds..Dawn beat you to them.
hope to see you all this evening. The STL chat room is open. If you haven't been there and need an invite shoot me an email and I'll let you know how to get there.
hugs, Tina

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at: www.stliving.net
and at:www.thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and at:http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  12:59:55 PM  Show Profile
So wouldnt this be the ideal way to incorporate the wholesale buying into this topic? I was looking at http://www.southernexposure.com/index.html and I want to carry them in the store, but it is a really big financial investment for just an experiment to see if they sell.
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  1:07:46 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome..Last year we grew, beets, Yummy. acorn squash, (*got none all planted too late,) We have an artichoke growing now!
would like to plant 1 zuccini & 1 yellow neck summer squash. lots of snow peas, yellow wax beans, tomatoes Early girl, roma, Didn't get many..and 1 yellow pear. I want to plant green beans too..this year and cucumbers for pickling. I would like to try a few other tomato varieties here. Also want some yukon gold potatoes and sweet corn, and walla walla onions..
I had herbs inside, parsley, rosemary, sage, thyme, lavendar.. The quail got the dill as it was coming up so I will try again.. once we get the chickens will need to fence the garden for sure..

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Enjoy the little things in life....someday you'll look back and realize they were the big things.
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  1:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Thanks, Lora! My computer's been dragging while I'm trying to get info for Cristine.

Here's another link in the henhouse (although it may repeat what Lora gave you) http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=614

If a seed is listed as organic, it isn't GMO but it also may not be heirloom. Here's a definition of heirloom from the Seed Savers website: "SSE defines an heirloom as any garden plant that has a history of being passed down within a family, just like pieces of heirloom jewelry or furniture. Some companies have tried to create definitions based on date, such as anything older than 50 years."

Heirloom seeds aren't listed in the conventional seed catalogs any more so those varieties could die out (i.e. Danger of Extinction) if we don't keep them going. I remember how thick the seed catalogs were that my dad used to get. Now there just aren't nearly as many varieties available compared to 20 or 30 years ago (probably compared to 10 years ago!). And until you taste an organic or heirloom veggie, you don't realize how bland today's produce is. TMI?

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  1:16:53 PM  Show Profile
OK so gurnery's is only serving as a list making tool, and I wont be buying from them. I usually like just placing the order and not having the spend hours debating on what to get in the store.

If I carried the southern exposure seed exchange SEEDs in the store, I would love to be able to offer them at a drastic discount(to farmgirls only) compared to what they retail for.
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  1:23:32 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Wow, Lillian, I'd love to see your garden! How big a plot do you have?

Annika, I have so missed your quips - ecstatic garden babble! No one has your way with words!

Tina, I went to the website and the only seeds I found were the 12-pack herbs. I didn't think that's what you were referring to, although it looks like a good deal. Since we're going all heirloom this year, I passed on those. Congrats to Dawnzo!

Cristine, thanks for putting the Southern Exposure site out here. I'm not familiar with that one but it looks like a good one. Couldn't quickly find what you were referring to (you'll have to pardon me - I have slow-speed internet) so I don't know what the investment cost would be. Bakers Creek has different display sizes starting a reasonable price ($200-300 I think) for their on-the-counter displays. Seed Savers has standing display that I saw but it was over $1000.

Dalyn, Cheryl and Cristine, Monday night is maven chat night over on Tina's Small Town Living website ( www.stliving.net ). You'll need to sign up - click on the left sidebar on "Visit the Small Town Living Network." After that you'll be able to chat away with the rest of us. It's a fun time beginning at 9pm EST/6pm PST. We'd love to have you join us tonight. Again, just jump on in when you get there!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  1:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Cheryl, I'm with you on the beans this year, along with just about everything else you listed. I really want to have pole beans in the garden. I can remember seeing the "teepees" in my dad's garden so it would be special to have that again. We're also going to put trellises (sp?) up for our cucumber as they started climbing all over the okra last year!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  1:30:59 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, one more post and then back to housework. I need help from the mavens on recovering my dad's flower garden, at least some of it. There are a few clematis, some peonies (I really want to save these) and some buttercups (I REALLY want to save these), along with others I'm sure I'll find come spring. The buttercups are the most important as they came from Germany with my great-grandparents. The garden has grown up over the last six years so it's going to be a job. I'm not sure what I'm doing out there so I really need help! Your mission, should you choose to accept it: help me bring the garden back to life.

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  1:35:17 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Okay, I lied. THIS is my last post for a while.

For the newbies D, C & C: here is a link to the Maven's Beginner's Guide. If you haven't seen it before, it may answer a few questions for you. http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/HenHouseSnitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=582

Now I'm outta here!

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Dec 29 2008 1:52:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  2:02:03 PM  Show Profile
Hey - Welcome Dalyn, Cheryl and Cristine!!
And yay!! Annika stopped in.
My garden last years was a non-event - our last freeze was July 10, the first of fall was August 10. That combined with a very busy husband at ground-breaking time and it put a damper on things.
This year though....
I just had a horrendous drive home, guess the weather isn't over yet.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  2:32:39 PM  Show Profile
welcome to the new gals! glad to have you here.
------------
Karen..what website are you referring to?
yes.. the seeds I had offered over at STL were a mixture of some that I had had for a little while..not all were heirloom..some were hybrids,etc.
I did not have any herb seeds. So, I don't know what you mean about herbs/website.
-----------

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at: www.stliving.net
and at:www.thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and at:http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  2:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Tina, I went to www.stliving.net and didn't see any seeds listed on the home page so I went to the store. I clicked on Gardening Gear and found an "Assortment of 12 Culinary Herb Seeds." Obviously that wasn't the right spot! Where should I have gone?

God bless -
Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Dec 29 2008 :  2:44:44 PM  Show Profile
Laughing at Karen..(housework.?.. Oh yeah my kitchen floor needs mopping.)... Thank you for the invite to join in the chat. I may be able to do that maybe...

Cheryl #309
Farm girl sister

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page