Page: of 217

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  11:28:49 AM  Show Profile
Wow! its snowing sideways here...the infamous Palouse wind and snow make for huge drifts. I'd better start shoveling! How is it with all of you and the wild and wicked weather?

I got my SSE catalogue today and will be spending Rene's birthday evening lavishing over it and making wish lists =) and then making Snickerdoodles (my fave cookie) So fun! You are welcome Rene, glad to be here on your birthday with you and having some fun planned out, thank you for inviting us all to have a good time too!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  12:29:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Annika! Can you share your snickerdoodle recipe! I want to make some for christmas gifts! Thanks!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  12:31:21 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Rene'!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at: www.stliving.net
and at:www.thevictorygardener.blogspot.com
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
and at:http://myvictorygarden.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  1:51:17 PM  Show Profile
Rene~I am so glad that you like everything. I kept trying to think of what would be perfect for you. I hope you are having a wonderful day.

Dawn~I received your awesome package today. The earings and mitten clip are awesome. I love them.

Annika~We miss you here but know that things have been so busy.

Blessings,
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  2:00:55 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ruth,
You succeeded, the package was awesome!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  2:22:41 PM  Show Profile
Alee, and any one else who enjoys a simple and tasty cookie
Snickerdoodles are my favourite partially for their funny and cheerful name. They taste good too =)

Snickerdoodles by Annika
The recipe is as follows...
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup lard (you can use all butter if you like)
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 2/3 cup sifted flour
2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

In a bowl mix sugar and cinnamon and a bit of powdered ginger, reserve to roll cookie balls in.

In a large mixing bowl beat butter and lard until light. Add sugar and beat until fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla. sift together dry ingredients, add to beaten mixture and mix well

Form dough in to 1" balls and roll in sugar-spice mixture, place 2" apart on dry cookie sheet and bake in a hot oven (400) for 8 to 10 minutes (cookies flatten out) remove and cool, makes about 6 dozen

Eat them with joy!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  2:34:16 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday Rene!

It's here!!!! My SSE catalog!!!! I droped it in the snow on the way in from the mailbox, and splashed chicken noodle soup on it. It is already looking as abused as last years and it has only been in my possesion for an hour!

Dawn your story was so warming. Isn't funny how kindness can be contagous.

Annika, I haven't made Snicker Doodles in years. My boys don't like them (must get that from their fathers side of the family) but I just might have to bake some they are sounding mighty yummy.

off to play in my catalog again-

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  3:01:28 PM  Show Profile
I'm envious of everyone that is an SSE member...Sigh..... Hopefully I can join this spring..... I want to order seeds too!

Its just cold here. In the 20's. No snow..... just a dusting. But everything is frozen solid. My yard is full of poop-sicles. Dog decorations..... god bless em.....

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens-Mother Hen

http://harvestthymefarm.etsy.com
http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  3:17:45 PM  Show Profile
Y'know Dawn, you just reminded me of the one thing I can be thankful for with the cold weather - frozen poop - no really, the back yard has been like a minefield, here is my chance to get it cleaned up relatively painlessly. I guess I might have to get rid of the 4- 8 inches of new snow first? Ah, what are ya gonna do?
Just got home, the south hill of Spokane (the city where I work) has been recommended 4 wheel drive only - first time I remember that happening. The highway wasn't bad, I drive like a grandma, but I think 40 mph when it is snowing sideways is moderate, you wouldn't believe the people passing me. Crazy I tell you!!
So now I'm feeling warm and Christmasy, I think I'll make some cookies too:)

Oh and Happy Birthday to our favorite Prosser Farm Girl and MJF Ambassador!!!!!!!
Hope your day is good Rene, and your sons don't cramp your style too much
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  3:36:48 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Happy birthday (again) to you!
Happy birthday (again) to you!
Happy birthday (again), dear Rene!
Happy birthday (again) to yyyyyyyoooooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu!

I'm here, mavens! I haven't fallen off the edge of the earth!

Sorry to worry y'all. I haven't been posting much simply 'cause I haven't been feeling well due to the arthritis flare up. It brings wears me out emotionally as well as physically. I'm feeling much better today. The other reason I haven't been here is because Robbie was off work the last two days and I didn't want to spend as much time on the computer. And today I was massively cleaning so that's what's been happening in my world.

Well, I have to get ready for a things with our small group from church. No major food eating for me. I think all of the eating I did on our trips and for the holidays finally caught up with me and caused the flare. At least I'll have a healthy Christmas!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

P.S. Dawn, incredible article in the henhouse! Cause and effect - how true, how true.

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Dec 17 2008 3:38:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  4:43:03 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
So good to hear from all our Mavens. I really miss our farmgirls that don't drop in as much. Has anyone heard anything from our new Maven, Sue Feely? If you are out there lurking in the shadows Sue, come on and join us, we really are a harmless lot,*wink, wink*, unless you are Monsanto, right, Mavens? LOL
I got another SSE publication today, some really good stories in it. Poland is being pressured by Monsanto to lift their national, no GMO law. Go POLAND!!
I got more fudge made, have a beef roast in the oven for dinner, a pork roast in the crock pot for tamales, and a plum pudding on the stove top steaming. Sure smells good in here....dashing through the snow on a one horse open sleigh, over the hills we go, laughing all the way......

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  4:59:59 PM  Show Profile
HEY!

I just talked to Alee via yahoo/phone/im/whatever! Its so COOL! Jerry got to say hi too! One step closer to my sista's..... I didnt know this disk-y thingie was a microphone.... waaaaay cool. HI Sam! TS: sure sounds good at your place...... I need to make more sugar cookies. Mine are poofy and really soft. Yummmmmmm. I have to make more choco-chip. Okay, I'm all about my new found gadget.... gotta play.......

Dawn #279

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  6:49:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
That was lots of fun, Dawn! I figured out why computer was being weird. Hopefully I am fixing that now!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

FARMALLChick
True Blue Farmgirl

978 Posts

Lora
Alexandria IN
USA
978 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2008 :  8:15:29 PM  Show Profile
Happy birthday Rene -

Indiana looks like the inside of a freezer badly in need of a defrosting. Ice on everything!! Talk about driving like a grandma - I nearly got rearended this morning on my way to the police post. I flipped on my deck lights (red and blues in the back window) and the guy just about wiped out!! I was just trying to get him to BACK OFF! I couldn't see the bottom of his head lights in my mirror!! I have a few names I could call him, but I shall refrain. It's Christmas. Unfortunately for the driver's I stopped on Monday, that wasn't the case. I was feeling crabby and wrote everyone I stopped tickets (some more than one). At least they aren't due until late January.

We got some nasty grams from GHQ today too. One had to do with overtime, one with vacation days and the other was about the state police going to a reginal dispatch system. What's that? Currently we have 18 posts throughout the state. In 24 to 36 months we will have 6 dispatch centers. My post is one getting the ax. The post will stay open, but there will be no dispatchers. All of the radio communications will go thru Indianapolis. Yes, that means several people will either have to drive to Indianapolis (for some - out of the question due to distance) or lose their job. It's depressing - I have worked with these girls for 8 years. All the troopers and inspectors are telling them to start looking now and if they find something - jump on it - don't worry about leaving the ISP in a lurch. They have to look out for themselves now that the state has basicly said "don't let the door hit you on the way out!" How rude.

blah blah blah - I'm done venting.

Lillian - I apologize - your gift goes out tomorrow - priority. (if we don't get more ICE)
Dawn - did you email the postage on the sign? I want to get your money to you asap.

Later all,

Lora #358

If it ain't red, leave it in the shed.

Please visit my new blog and post your opinions about different subjects. www.farmallchick.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  06:50:22 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning, Mavens!!

I have a few minutes to check in while I have the children slaving away on schoolwork. I gave them a study sheet for a Bible test they will have tomorrow. It's kind of a gag because it's true or false and all the answers are true. I can't wait until they find out because they will be thrilled with an easy 100.

Dawn~I had everything I wanted to order marked on the order form and I was going to email you but now I can't find it. I know it's buried among the influx of mail and things. I just have to shovel it out and then I will email you.

Ladies, I am so excited because I subscribed to Hobby Farms and Mother Earth News and they both came in. I just noticed that Hobby Farms has another magazine called Hobby Farms Home. I would like that one but I am going to wait. Right after New Years I want to join the sisterhood. Ok, it might be closer to the end of Jan or Feb. I also would like to join SSE so I can get their new catalog and order some seeds. I have picked things I wanted out of last years and I can't wait.

I have to go now. The kids have figured out my gag test and they are thrilled.

Blessings,
Ruth

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  06:52:55 AM  Show Profile
Rene~I am so thrilled you like your package.

Lora~So sorry to hear you are having a tough time.

Annika~Thank you for the Snickerdoodles recipe, I can't wait to try it.

Karen~I hope you feel better soon. Take good care of yourself. Holiday food can be so bad for you. Why does it taste so good.

Teresa Sue~Sounds like it's heavenly in your home right now. Wish I could join you.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  06:59:09 AM  Show Profile
Ruth: no rush on my part..... whenever...

Lora: I thought i emailed you.... but then again.....you know me....scatterbrained as heck! I do get things done, its just not pretty. Shipping is 6.95 I think..... computer is running slow... Sorry to hear about work.

Alee... I'm easily entertained. The whole microphone thing is wild to me.... talking through a computer.... odd, but fun!

I have a ton of stuff to do today... and so I am off to the great upstairs.... Talk to ya's later!

Dawn #279

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  07:26:35 AM  Show Profile
Morning All!

I too think it is time to bake those Christmas Cookies. That will probably be on my "to do" list today. Not sure what else will make it on that list yet.

Lora- You have had so much on your plate lately, I should't even be on your list. You just take care and focus on you and your family right now.

TS- Anoher SSE publication? WooHoo! I will be watching for the mail lady today! Is it their quartly publication for members?

Karen- Hope you are feeling better. I have heard many times that Tumeric is a great anti-inflamitory, but I have yet to try it.

Everyone else I am thinking of you and hoping everyone has a wonderful day. May check in later- depends on the weather and school delay/closure.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  08:14:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I am baking cookies this weekend! I can't wait to do the Snickerdoodles! Thanks Annika!

Dawn- We will have to chat more another time. Sorry it was all of about 30 seconds!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  08:20:38 AM  Show Profile
You are welcome I hope you like the Alee and all. They really are yummy
We are very snowed in and I'm wading through deep drifts to feed the animals UGG!

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Edited by - Annika on Dec 18 2008 08:21:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  09:28:30 AM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Well we didnt get the snow that was perdicted, which is disappointing a little, as it is so cold, but it seems everywhere around us certainly got "hit". We are under storm warnings today.. so we will see.

I have Christmas about done.. I am still doing some little odd and end projects, mostly after thoughts, or adding a little "sompin sompin" to the gift baskets. My family is use to me not bring any "presents" out until Christmas Eve.. SO, that is a little tradition that we started way back when. The Prosserfarmchicks are having a cookie exchange tonight at farmchick Susan Cowan's winery.. The RSVP has been awesome so I think I will have plenty of photos to post. I made all out Christmas cards this year... which was quit the deal.. in the past I have just made a few .........so that was a big accomplisment for me. I would say that 90% of the gifts I am giving this year are hand made..

Speaking of.... My birthday was "smashing". I had such a blast, I have the best group of women that I get to call friends. My friend Terra (farmchick) made me the most incredible cashmere scarf.. it is heaven.. and My friend Sue (farmchick) wears Coco Channel perfume that is to DIE for... she put some on the scarf so now there are two reasons to wear it all the time :)...

I collect tea pots (put I am so picky.. I love plain colored tea pots and in cream, white, yellow, purple, or toupe) I know!!! anyway, my husband found the most amazing white tea pot and sugar and creamer bowls.......I about cried.. they are perfect.

And I was showered with Maven well wishes... thanks ladies, for making my day amazing! I certainly felt like Queen for a day!

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  09:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens, well I went in to work-for an hour and a half and then went home as they were closing hwy 27 and I didn't want to be stuck in town. My DH made it into Post Fall(Idaho), he called a half hour ago, said he is doing one service call and then they want him to go home. Snow, snow, everywhere, I barely broke through the drifts to get the two miles into Tekoa, thank goodness I have my Subaru, we call it the snoweater for a reason, lol

I'm afraid the elec will be out with the winds and heavy snow, I'm taking a chance, but I've already got Christmas goodies in the oven and I'm going to get my tamales made today. I have all my pitchers full of water and the bathtub is full too, that way I have water to drink and flush the toilet. We are on a well, so when the elec goes, we have no water. I do have gallons stored in the basement too.

I hope the weather clears enough so my daughter, Autumn, and her family don't have problems flying in on Sun.

Yes! Lillian, the other publication from SSE is called the Harvest Edition, I thought it was another seed catalog, but it has the most amazing stories in it about SSE and the growers, info about big bad Monsanto, etc. It is great.

Rene' I'm so glad you had a great birthday :^)

Ruth I won't get your monitor mailed until this storm lets up, the mail can't get here or go out any way cause the road is closed, I'm sorry!!! I'll get it out asap, okay? I finally collected enough bubble wrap, I hope!, to send it, lol

Hi Annika, Alee, Lora, and Dawn.

Corinne, Sue, Amy Grace, Marcy Jo and Denise were are you?

Karen I hope you are feeling better soon!!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  10:07:24 AM  Show Profile
Well Teresa Sue - I am snowed in!! Yes, this time I was actually at home so last night we decorated the tree and ate Christmas cookies, just had some quiet family time. I wasn't working today anyway so that was good, school is closed, DH didn't drive in to work - I called my work, there were 16 cars abandoned in the parking lot last night.
Those of you who aren't in the state - it started snowing yesterday at 8am and is still going - they have measured about 20 inches in the city as of a couple of hours ago. We just don't get this kind of weather as a rule so everything is shut down- federal building, libraries, schools, garbage.....
Rene - I thought of you on your birthday and your lazy Sunday post - that is kind of what we did last night, just enjoying family. Although sometimes when your 16 yearold son gets all wound up like a 3 year old because he is so excited about decorating the tree it gets just a wee bit annoying, I just focus on being glad he enjoys doing that with us still!!
So today I am felting, sewing, and baking. So far none are going that well, hope things improve. The first gift I felted came out all lumpy and my husband had to talk me down from a major "ohmygoodness, I ruined Christmas" freakout.
Hope the rest of you are all warm and in from the weather
Lora - drive careful out there - I had a guy riding my bumper last night, I couldn't how many people were passing me and I was going 40!!
Talk to y'all soon,
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  10:30:57 AM  Show Profile
Teresa Sue and Amy Grace~Enjoy the time at home while you are snowed in. TS don't worry about the monitor whenever you can do it. This old thing is hanging in there for me. Just a little jumpy but still here.

Rene~I am so glad to hear that you had a wonderful birhtday.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 18 2008 :  12:23:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Sisters, well I have the tamales made, the first batch is steaming now. The Christmas cake is done. Gonna spruce up the kitchen a bit and then start making cookies. Being snowed in has me a day ahead of schedule with my baking and cooking, woohoo!

Enjoy your day Amy Grace. I can't wait to get upstairs to my sewing room, that's still about 10 or 11 days away, I just CAN'T WAIT!!!! What are you felting? I would like to do some felting projects, some that are actually planned and not huge mistakes, LOL. Oh, you mean that sweater isn't supposed to be a size -5? HaHa!
Hope your monitor hangs in there for a few more days Ruth,:^)

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page