Page: of 217

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  04:48:21 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens, just a quick "hi" to all before I head off to the cafe this morning. Things should start calming down here soon.
Funeral Saturday, I'm not going because my daughter has asked me to watch the kids as she doesn't think they can handle the funeral. So, I guess I'll take them to a movie, that one with the hamster in it, can't remember the name right now and then we'll go to Cabelas, my poor little city gbee's, love Cabelas.
Hubby goes back to work today, so like I said, things will get back to normal.
Hope y'all have a great day and I'll check in later.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  05:58:43 AM  Show Profile
I honestly have no clue what is up with this dang thing, but we are running fine today.... Although, I think I mentioned in the henhouse that I purged a lot of stuff from the computer and defragged..... so that may have helped.
Today is a busy day so I'm just here to say hi and run off. Its Jerry's day off and to be honest, I would really prefer him to be at work because he questions everything I do during the course of a day. All he wants to do is watch TV. Right now its on, and he's outside... I swear, he will drive me to drink!
HAve a good one! Be back later.

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  08:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Hi! mavens,
I just put a post on my blog of what we have been up to lately. It has been so busy and I still have so many pictures of what has been keeping us busy. I can't put them all in one post. It would take forever. I hope you have a chance to check it out. They're on my farmgirl blog at blogspot.
Dawn~I am so glad to see that your computer is working again.
Teresa Sue~I am sorry to hear about your sil's loss. So awesome that you can take the kids so they don't need to go to the funeral. The movie with the hamster I believe is Bolt. We want to see that. It looks very funny.
Amy Grace~Try to get some rest.
Tina~I'm so sorry to hear about your wisdom teeth. I had to have four teeth pulled when I had my braces put on. One of them had crooked roots and they ripped my gums. It was awful. I really should have been sent to an oral surgeon. I don't want to relive those days again. I just can't wait until the braces come off. I hope it is quick and easy for your wisdom teeth.
Blessings,
Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  08:37:05 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mavens,
Just wanted to pop in and give a quick hello. We are still sick here at home with colds or some sort of crud. What I wanted to really tell you all is that the 10th of this month my internet service will be shut off and I won't be online anymore unless I can find my way to the library and use their computers. I hate that it has come to this, but it has become necessary. I will continue to post here up until the 9th. I just wanted to let you all know in advance so when you don't hear from me you won't worry. I'm still gonna be a HHM right? I don't plan to stop doing mavenly things and when I can get internet service again, I WILL be back!!! Gotta run for now. Have a blessed day.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  08:39:01 AM  Show Profile
oh, I forgot to ask, but could someone re-post the winters town site again for those free seeds??? Thanks.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  09:05:43 AM  Show Profile
Good morning to ya'll Mavens.
Waou so many things to comment on.
Tina I hope your tooth is okay, it is always painful to keep them and to have them removed latter. I will go read STL when I finish this post, it is my favorite farm magazine, always so thoughtful and inspiring.
Brenda, I am still in shock at the thought of loosing you on the forum. I promise to write to you as many notes and letters I can, I sure do keep you in my heart and prayers for your life takes an easier turn and that you can enjoy our chitchat here.
You ARE a Maven, until you kick us out of your life.
Dawn, it is great to see your postings, do I miss them when you are silent.
Teresa Sue and Denise, my husband told me letters bearing your names have arrived, he is so excited for me, 4 more days and I will be able to read them. Teresa Sue, I am sorry for your family and will say an extra prayer for all.
Amy Grace, I hope you can have some good rest during the week-end and in the following weeks.
Karen, thanks for the news about your apron, they have a life of themselves it seems.
Annika, it is so great to hear your voice again, so you spent Thanksgiving tending for a sick goat, you are brave and kind for sure.
Ruth and Lillian hope all is well with you girls.
Alee and Rene, have fun doing what ever keeps you buys.
Now, about us...
It seems that Africa is calling Raymond back. At the moment they are 2 openings he is applying for, and both are for commuting jobs. So, it seems that I am going back to pack our house and will be back to France end of this month or next month. The container will take a couple of months to arrive which would let us enough time to find a small house in a village close to my parents. And I will sow heirlooms seeds in the garden as I have been dreaming of for years now.
We will know for sure mid-december but it looks good since Raymond and I would prefer the comuting job, one month working and one month off at home. Thus I would be able to take care of my mom and my aunt in far better ways that what I can do at the moment.
Please keep us in your prayers.
Everybody, have a great day, plenty of love to ya'll.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  09:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, mavens. It's a gray day here in Missouri. Supposed to begin raining later this afternoon and turn to snow overnight. We've already had one small snowfall this past Sunday into Monday. I guess the almanac's right - we're going to have a colder-than-usual winter.

Amy Grace, rest whenever you can. I'll be praying for strength for you to make it through the week and the opportunity to use those comp days when it's all over.

TS, what a good decision to have the gbees (I love that!) spend the day with you. I was 3 when my grandfather passed away and 9 when my grandmother passed. I remember having bad dreams after my grandfather's funeral. The only pleasant thing I remember from my grandmother's visitation is playing with my cousins in the back room. But then we got too loud and that ended that. Everything else was just people sitting around talking and crying. I'm glad the first funeral I went to wasn't my mom or dad's but I wish I hadn't had to go through that when I was young. But I'm an only child so where my parents went, I went.

RALPH!!! You're back!!! Good move on cleaning up the computer. I need to do the same to mine. It's pretty cluttered.

Ruth, I'm going to check out your blog on my next computer break. Can't wait to see the pictures! I'll probably bring it up when I'm done here and by the time my next break comes, they should all be pulled in!

Tina, I really need to do a St. Louis Bread Company morning soon. I have high-speed access there and I'll be able to read your latest edition. I loved it when we were traveling and I could pull in your mag and read to my heart's content. Hopefully high-speed is coming to our house soon - by satellite, plug-in or whatever!

I'm trying to mix decluttering the house with catching up on the computer (posts, e-mail, etc.) this morning. It's not going as well as I'd hoped since I don't seem to get as much done in real life as I think I should when I plan it in my head. Oh well.........

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  09:48:10 AM  Show Profile
Yay! The sick goat is better...warning! never try to give medicine to a goat with out help. *heehee* Been out sorting animals for breeding so that we have May lambs and enough pasture to feed the mamas on. Goats are happy too. I'm just glad to have all of the sorting of who gets bred by which ram or buck done =)
Now to try and make my house presentable before Christmas! Lots of work still.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  2:28:38 PM  Show Profile
hey gals..hope everyone is having a good day.
so sorry to hear Brenda will be going off line for a while..will miss you.
Well..the update is..I go in for oral surgery on the 10th at 9:45. I felt better about everything when I found out the dentist/surgeon has been doing this sort of thing for 35 yrs..and is a good ole' Florida boy.
He was very nice..no being treated like a number by him.
So that was great.
He and hubby were chatting about the area of Florida they both grew up in..Clearwater area, and then when he heard I grew up in Arcadia he was like..oh my...I have family down near there..my dad grew up near there.
So, anyhow..he really made me feel comfy and all about it.
He said the whole surgery to extract 3 teeth should only be 40 minutes.
------
I'm off to go make my house presentable..looks like a whirlwind blew through with the packing up of stuff I have been trying to do.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  3:19:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

I feel like I have abandoned you all because I have been so busy! The school semester is coming to a close, and I am so excited! I will get to spend more time with my friends!! Yay!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  3:21:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Ladies- I posted this in across the fence, but I promised I would post this paper here too when I was done. This is my rough draft so please feel free to comment! Infact I would love the help. I felt I needed to be a bit objective but when I went back and read the instructions it didn't say I had to be. Do you think I need to be stronger in pointing out how evil GM is?

(sorry for the length it had to be 5 pages plus references)

What is happening to our food source, and what can we do about it?

Our food supply is in a predicament, and most people don't know the depth or breadth of it. According to Don Hinrichsen of The Johns Hopkins University School of Health, in his report Winning the Food Race “Despite the discovery of some 50,000 varieties of edible plants, only 15 varieties provide 90% of the world's food energy intake.” This presents us with a rather alarming picture. Because we only use limited varieties of plants for our food needs, each year we are loosing plant varieties at an alarming rate. Looking forward to the future, it would behoove us to diversify our diets and conserve plant varieties.
Historically, when a population relies heavily on relatively little genetic diversity for their food consumption, they are setting themselves up for eventual disaster. For example, The Irish Potato Famine which stretched from 1845 to 1852. A blight ran rampant through Irish potato crops- a crop that roughly 30% of the population was dependent upon as a main food source. Estimates of loss of life runs around 25%. If a similar catastrophe happened today on a global scale that would mean a loss of approximately 1,675,000,000 lives. Within the past year the world has seen rice shortages due to rice blight, and wheat shortages from a combination of wheat blight and drought.
Right now the world's food supply is inundated with genetically modified food organisms. In the US alone, we are planting a large majority of genetically modified crops. In 2008, according to the USDA's Economic Research Service, 92 percent of the soybean crop, 68 of cotton, and 63 of corn were planted to Herbicide tolerant genetically modified varieties. Genetic manipulation sounds good on the surface. The farmer will have to spray less pesticides and herbicides to produce the type of crop that most people expect to see in the marketplace. Some of the varieties are even transgenic- where non plant genes have been spliced into the plant to increase resistances or increase growth. So what is the problem? Testing on these new varieties has been short and the impact research is still limited. Initial research from 1999 shows that genetically modified foods might cause alterations in the digestive tracts of rats, and plants that are spliced with other plants can trigger allergic reactions in unsuspecting consumers.
Barbara Kingsolver, in her nonfiction book “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle,” states that genetically modified crops often lose nutritional and taste values in the exchange for more resistances to disease and pests. She also highlights several studies that show that heirloom or natural varieties of plants hold more of the antioxidants that are need to fight free radicals in our body as well as the flavinoids which give the food it's flavor. Flavinoids are microscopic organic compounds that are very volatile- meaning they break down easily. Though our genetically modified tomatoes might grow perfectly because no bug dares to touch them, they often don't taste like much at all.
Another concern facing our food supply is ownership. While exact numbers of food control are impossible to obtain, farmers who buy genetically modified crops enter into a contract with the company who created it. If a non contracted farmer is “caught” growing seeds saved from a genetically modified crop, he is subject to large fines and possibly litigation. Several court cases have been lost by farmers who's fields were planted to non genetically modified plants but then were pollinated by a neighbors fields which were planted to genetically modified plants. Farmers wishing to grow genetically modified crops are not allowed to save the seeds and must re-buy his seeds each year. This drastically cuts into profit margins where in the past, the farmer has kept a portion of his crop to replant as seed the next year. This cycle is killing farmers financially all over the world, and quite literally killing them in India. MaryJane Butters states: (Butters, 2008):
“In futile attempts to relieve themselves of debt, some [Indian] farmers have sold their own organs. When these attempts fail to rectify their financial situations, many farmers find no way out but suicide. Over 25,000 farmers have taken their own lives.”
So what can we do? Buying organic food is a great first step to make. Organic farming puts and emphasis on using heirloom seeds. Heirloom seeds are not hybrids, nor have they been genetically engineered. Not only does organic farming use heirloom seeds, it is a sustainable farming plan that is less harmful to the earth. Organic fields are actually less susceptible to blights and fungi that could cause a catastrophic crop failure because the natural organisms in the soil help fight away the unwanted organisms. Another option is to plant and keep alive plant varieties that may not be mainstream. Several seed repositories exist that keep seeds in near perfect preservation, ready to plant should the world need them. And lastly, we need to diversify the food varieties that feed the world.
Until more research is completed to prove these plants are safe, and until the economic monopolies are broken, our food supply is in serious danger. Even if genetically modified foods are our future, we should not loose the plant varieties that have taken thousands of years to evolve to what they are today. We fight to not loose different species of animals each year, and yet we are loosing thousands of food plants each year with out the majority of the population being aware of the predicament. In closing I would like to leave you with lyrics from the song “Big Yellow Taxi” By Joni Mitchel-
“Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and bees please!”

References
Butters, M.J (2008,August/September). Organic Cotton...Raising Jane's Standard of Living. MaryJane's Farm The American Organic Original, 7(5), 82-91.
Hinrichsen, D. Winning the Food Race. Population Reports, Series M, No. 13. Baltimore, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, Population Information Program, December 1997.
Kingsolver, Barbara (2007). Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. New York, New York: Harper Collins.
Frankhauser, D. B. (1999, September 30). HAZARDS OF GENETICALLY MODIFIED CROPS AND FOODS . Retrieved December 3, 2008, from HAZARDS OF GENETICALLY MODIFIED CROPS AND FOODS Web site: http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Society/Gen_Engnrg7Oct99.html
Martinez, C (2008). The maya seed ark project. Retrieved December 3, 2008, from The Maya Seed Ark Project Web site: http://themayaseedarkproject.org/

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  3:51:51 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
I think it's great. Filled with information but not overwhelming.
Great work.

Ruth

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  4:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Ruth!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 03 2008 :  4:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Alee, Good work!
Karen I owe you several emails =) I'm just so busy today, I promise I will get to them, thank you so much. And your info on the oils arrived. Thank you again.

I miss all of you. I'm trying to make up time lost spent farm sitting for a week. Wish me luck getting this dump in shape for Christmas :P

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  05:05:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Bravo Alee!!!! Very informative, no don't change it, I think you stated your case well and I think that people are turned off if you try to tell them something and you're too radical sounding, do you know what I mean?

Brenda dear, I'm so sorry you are going to be gone from the forum for a while, and yes! Of course you are still going to be a HHM. I will try to write, but be patient with me, lol

Tina, sorry you have the dental thing going on. It sounds like you are comfortable with it though and that is a good thing. Hope you are up and at 'em quickly.

Corinne great news about you being able to be in France!!! YEA!!! I bet your family is so happy they get to be with you all the time now. Here's to a smooth transistions, from one who has moved many, many times!

Dawn I still haven't got your Christmas gift out, bear with me girl, I'm running as fast as I can, I'll get there yet!!lol!

Well Mavens, good morning to all of you! So much to catch up on, but I have to go to the cafe one more morning, tomarrow I'm going down to Lewiston with hubby, gonna wrap up the Christmas shopping. Sat I'll be in Cheney/Spokane with the gbees. Sunday I have to clean house, Monday I have to go to CDA with a friend, and then, Finally! I'll get to stay home and get my Christmas on,lol.

I did get my four little Christmas trees up in their pots yesterday and I made a serious dent in my office. On dasher, on dancer, oh heck , I gotta go to work. Have a great day, talk to ya later.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  09:20:59 AM  Show Profile
Goooooooooooood Morning! I'm a bit late with my morning wishes today, but "late" is the key word in my life right now

Corinne! I'm excited about your possibility for being able to stay in France and have the wonderful little garden. You are in my prayers Sister and I will keep my fingers crossed. This sounds like a good thing for you and I hope that it comes true. I, too, have moved many times and I wish you a quick and well paced move. *Hugs*

Teresa Sue, it sounds like you and I are both dog paddlin' as fast as we can. Hang in there girlfriend! We will get through the rough patches and have a wonderful Christmas.

Brenda I will miss you dear, please have a good Christmas and know that you are a loved Maven sister. Expect a card from me ok?

Alee ~ HOORAY! you are nearly at winter break and can hopefully have a super great Christmas with family

Ruth I have your gift and will mail it fed ex tomorrow, sorry I'm running behind. *hugs* I hope that You like them. =)

Karen, Tina, Dawn, Denise and all of the other mavens, you are in my thoughts and heart and I will post again soon as I can.

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  10:01:26 AM  Show Profile
Annika,
Don't worry about being late. I am running late, too. Sorry, Rene.
It has been so busy here.

Corrine~It's wonderful that you may have a chance to stay in France and be close to your mom and aunt.

Blessings,
Ruth

Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  11:31:45 AM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens!! Well it seems life is rushing us and we are being dragged behind it as usual!!

Corinne- how wonderful for you to be close to your family. My grama is getting older and I promised her I would take care of her...she lives in Michigan and well, I havent figured out how all that would work. But, I am so happy for you!!!1

Brenda-we will miss you and maybe you can make it to the library-just like me!!!

Teresa Sue-Santa should be making a delivery in a few days!!

Alee- your paper was right on! Good work!

Amy Grace- I hope all is going well for you!

Tina- I had my wisdoms pulled-not the easiest pain to deal with, but you will feel better!!

Ruth- I have the same problem with my family and homemade gifts! But, most years I do homemade anyhow and they are learning..only took 5-10 years!!!!

Annika-do you have sheep too? And Im glad the goat is better!!!

Dawn- so good to see you here and I cant wait to help you with Spring FLing!! Working on ideas!!!

Rene- I know your busy but we're thinking about ya!!

Lillian- Thank You, thank you, thank you!!!! I was just tickled to get your package today!! Youre so thoughtful!!!

Karen-Your welcome and the rest will be trickling out soon!!!

Lora and Denise--you must be busy but you are both in my thoughts!!!

I will check in later!! Have a wonderful day dear Mavens!!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  12:02:09 PM  Show Profile
Marcy~I think some day I am going to do the same thing. Unfortunately, I just hate to see my hard work go to waste. I know a couple of them will just get rid of it.
Ruth

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  2:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens, just a quick check in, it is so good to hear everyone. Oh, before I forget, thankyou one and all for the stain advice, my tablecloth is as good as new!!!
Yes, it is a bit crazy. Christmas is coming like a run away train, help, lol!! I was going to tell you something else, oh, I remembered, I was mentioned in the MJ newletter, my post about the MJ towels was in there, a bit of a surprise. It also said Sunny left and Gabe is taking over her job, was sad to hear she left, she is a sweetie. Anyway have a great day.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  2:58:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Ladies!

Well I submitted my paper! So lets hope the teacher likes it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  3:38:49 PM  Show Profile
HI girls. Today is a dark day. I've had 3 deaths in my family that I was notified about today and Jerry just told me that he got laid off. He has been with this company the longest and is the first to go. I honestly do not know what to do. I know that everyone is going through terrible economic times, and I am trying to be positive but I am sick to my stomach with fear and worry. I do not know how things are going to get paid. We've already decided to do away with the extra channels on the sattellite, and the garbage pick up. No more ice cream from the Schwan Man..... I think its official Karen. I'm Amish.
Thanks for letting me vent......

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  3:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Oh Dawn, I am so sorry. You will be kept in my thoughts and prayers honey.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  4:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Dawn! I am so sorry to hear this! I hope your husband is able to find a new job soon! Perhaps he could get unemployment pay in the mean time?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2008 :  4:19:55 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good evening, maven buddies. I was doing the first round of newsletter work and reading this week's posts. I was also feeling lonely (missing all of you) and swamped (Christmas stuff and general odds and ends). Reading through the posts I noticed that several of us have posted about at least one, and many times both, of those things. While this Christmas season has been SO MUCH BETTER than the last several years - and that's because of you all - I've still been having a bit of the Christmas blues. Maybe the last few years have conditioned me into feeling that way. Maybe it's hearing hubby talk about our plans for the garden but having to concentrate on getting Christmas stuff done. Or - and I think this is a lot of it - trying to figure out what to get for the family. I've been swinging between making the aprons and then wondering if they'll like them and maybe I should buy something but what would it be and I'm not sure what it would be even if I bought something and if I go that route I don't want to get just "something" but would they appreciate the time I put in on homemade items and if I decide to do the aprons after all they probably won't get them til right before Christmas and I plan on making them Christmas/winter aprons and on and on and on. Life inside my head can be a mess sometimes! So.....................

Thank you, Marcy, for saying "most years I do homemade anyhow and they are learning." That's exactly what I needed to hear right now. Our lifestyle is changing - becoming simpler and that's how we want it. But it is so different from most of our family and friends. However, if I am going to give a gift from my heart, then it's going to be homemade and hopefully they'll see the love that went into it.

Lillian, I have two ring tones on my phone. One is for DH - Chris Tomlin's "Come Home Runnin'" in reference to his call at the end of the day to tell me he's "comin' home runnin'!" The other is for everyone else: "Amazing Grace" - again by Chris Tomlin. It also reminds me of Amy Grace when I hear it. (Amy Grace - Amazing Grace - get it?) I need to change it though because even on the loudest setting it's hard to hear. Sorry, Amy Grace. BTW, how long til that cheese sale is over and you can rest?

Annika and Teresa Sue, I have not received my SSE catalog yet either. I thought they sent it out the middle of December......

Tina, I'm so glad that you're leaving your garden beds in the back yard. I think it will help sell your house. If I was looking for a house, a garden would tell me that the people cared about where they lived and therefore cared about the house. Plus it will make it look so homey. And if you'd have to leave the veggies behind for the next owners, they'll get some good stuff - and it may turn them on to organic gardening! And it sounds like you've got the tooth issue under control and in good hands. Will be praying for you, especially Wednesday at 9:45 (your time!).

Brenda, DUH! Of course, you will still be an HHM. The honorary part is only a technicality because to me you are a true heirloom maven. You will be missed, girlfriend, so get to the library as often as possible! And the website for the free seeds is www.wintersown.org

I did some blog surfing today. Dawn, love the look of your blog! It has a much different look than the last time I visited - very cool!

Ruth, I forgot to check your blog out yesterday but remembered today. I really enjoyed reading about Thanksgiving, Disneyland and all your interests. Your scarves are beautiful!

Corinne, I will be praying that moving plans continue in the direction of the commuting job. I'm so happy that you'll be able to have an heirloom garden. I'm most happy that you'll be able to care for your mom and your aunt. Caring for my dad was one of the most rewarding experiences I've had in my life. It's not always easy but you won't regret it.

Marcy, the same goes for you caring for your gramma. When the time comes, you'll know how to work out the details.

Alee, you're paper sounds great to me. Like Ruth said, filled with information but not overwhelming. I think it's so wonderful that you have that opportunity to teach others as part of your assignment. This class has been a great opportunity for you!

Lora, Rene, Denise and Susan (still looking forward to hearing from you!), hope the holiday season is treating you well.

I really need to post more often so I don't have as much catching up to do!

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Dec 05 2008 08:51:09 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page