graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Nov 19 2008 :  9:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Corinne - 40 happens next year:D And thank you for the beautiful Christmas card - my husband and son were both quite envious of my mail with a Kuwait postmark!!
Teresa Sue - I had to ban my husband from even looking at my laundry years ago, he washed and dried some dry-clean only pants....men and laundry, how can they be so clueless?
Karen - what a cool thing to have a dresser that you slept in. Isn't it amazing that people throw out pictures though, I don't know a quarter of the people in the pictures I got but I love to look at them. There are pictures of homesteads in Montana, a picture of my grandma at 18 months on one of those old fashioned iron tricycles with the huge front wheels. Just really neat, it has also given me a different perspective on having my picture taken. I used to hate it but now realize that one of my progeny may in turn have children that will want to see their history.
The soap I made came out very cool - I used orange and clove to scent it and put some oatmeal in, then used paprika and curry powder to color it. It smells fabulous and has this really warm, earthy look to it. Fun stuff!!
Good night all, I have tomorrow off (amazing) so will check in but am going to try to deal with some of the big huge weeds before the ground freezes so I may not be chatty.
Hope to hear all your voices soon,
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  04:54:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens.
Amy Grace your soap sounds great. Soapmaking is something that I keep wanting to try. The scent you described sounds yummy. Did you use a glycerin base?

You know, my husband didn't used to even think about doing the laundry and I know he is trying to help me. I don't want to be grinchy about it, but I swear, he has ruined at least half a dozen blouses. I tried to talk to him and explain to him why I don't put them in the dryer, etc. He makes a joke about it, etc. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I were a clotheshorse, but I don't have that many clothes(I loathe shopping, except for fabric and books,hehehe)and I am down to almost nothing to wear. I will figure out a soulution, after all, I don't want to spend my 32 anniversary in prison, lol.
Well one last day at the cafe and then I have 11 days off! I am so excited, I took next week off so I could get ready for Thanksgiving. What is really cool is I have 4 days off after Thanksgiving, my house will be clean and I can just enjoy it. I feel a book read and some sewing room time coming on! I was still keeping the kind of schedule you are, Amy Grace when I was 40, but I just won't do it anymore. I was burning out all my stress receptors!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  07:39:24 AM  Show Profile
Hi Mavens!!!!
How have you all been? It is cold here in Louisiana!! I am sitting here in sweats and still shivering. My coffee woke me up, but didn't warm me up! Oh well. I just wanted to pop in and say my hello's to you all before I got the kids going with their school work. That reminds me, Ruth... PLEASE do not tell me that it gets harder in high school. My son is already not liking his 7th grade studies. Tell me what curriculum you are using so I don't make the mistake of buying it for him. ???? Continue on with it though, there is a light at the end of the paperwork!! LOL!!!

Dearest Corinne,
I received you very sweet and very pretty Christmas card. I also wish you and your family the best Christmas and a wonderful new year to come. Thank you for being such a dear friend to me.

Tina,
I have not forgotten that you requested some seed pods/cuttings from my confederate rose bushes. I had to wait patiently for them to do their thing and now the pods are becoming ready. I will be getting those out to you soon, I hope. Thank you for being so patient.

Many changes are happening in my life right now. I could right a book. Don't want to burden anyone, so that is the reason you haven't seen me post. I treasure you all as friends. Will try to check in later this afternoon, I hope.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  11:47:22 AM  Show Profile
Brenda - hope the changes are positive ones, will keep you in my thoughts. Holiday craziness plus change sometimes equals "overwhelmed" - hope that is not the case for you.

Teresa Sue - I hate shopping too, but love clothes. Makes it really hard to get dressed. The soap is actually a variation of good old-fashioned soap, uses lye, olive oil, palm oil and coconut oil. The lady that taught the class has Greencastle Soap company - they started up in Wallace, she is now based out of Spokane. I have to say that making soap, at least in the classroom, was a lot easier than I expected - really about the same skill-set as canning. Just need different tools.

Marcy Jo I meant to say thank you for the lovely handmade birthday card, and Dawn thanks for the birthday wishes as well - you can tell how busy I have been over the month - right around my birthday when I got the lovely birthday greetings I was working the long stretch and everything got away from me.

Today was pretty productive, made short ribs and a cake, serged the leg seams on two pairs of jammies for Christmas. Now I'm going to town to meet my mom to sew at "Stitch Cafe" at a sewing shop - open sewing and visiting, good fun. I have to run errands too. I am thinking about seeds, can't wait for the seed catalogs

Hope everyone is doing well
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  1:06:26 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hi Mavens, I officially have recieved a 2009 seed catalog! Not SSE, but oh, well. It is Pinetree Garden Seeds. I went to the henhouse and looked up the monsanto owned seed companies and it wasn't on the list. I know there are other lists, but, darn if I could find them, : ) Do any of you remember any info on Pinetree Garden Seeds? They do offer heirlooms.
Well I have to go outside and pickup some things before the storm blows in, the wind is already howling, then I have to clean and put my bathroom back together. I am officially on vacation, well, a working vacation, but it's still a vacation. Except for having to go grocery shopping tomarrow I am not leaving my house for 11 days!!!!

Hi Brenda! So good to hear from you. Hope all is well and good for you, I will keep you in my thoughts.

Amy Grace, I am curious, why in particular are you going to France for your 40th birthday? Just cause? Is it an area your ancestors came from? I'm a bit of a geneology buff and these things always arouse my curiosity. You may tell me to mind my own business if you wish! LOL!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Nov 20 2008 1:09:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  4:00:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
It's snowing.....big, wet, flakes.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  4:41:30 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
TS, it feels like it should be snowing here. Very cold and blustery winds. I haven't heard a recent weather report so who knows...........I don't know about you but I love being snowed in (as long as we have plenty of TP!).

God bless -
Karen ~ Chickherder & Farmgirl Sister #311

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 20 2008 4:42:00 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  4:48:22 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Amy Grace, did you have a good time at the "Stitch Cafe" confab? That's probably a "duh!" And that soap, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! I sounds so good. Soap-making is something I hope to start doing this winter.

Brenda, so good to hear from you! Like Amy Grace, I hope the changes are positive ones. Either way, know that I'll be praying for you as you are plowin' through.

Hubbie's on the phone to a friend - just heard him say that it's supposed to get down to 15-degrees tonight. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! (Picture Sam the Snowman from the Rudolph Christmas special)

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 20 2008 4:48:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  5:27:46 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I love being snowed in too! It is so peaceful.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  5:27:56 PM  Show Profile
It is only gonna be 35 here tonight and 27 tomorrow. I could use some snow. All I see is leaves falling and falling and falling. The leaves almost buried my dog. I had to dig her out!!

Thank you all for the prayers and well wishes, it is appreciated. :) I can't wait for Christmas cartoons. I love cartoons. My kids are already watching the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving one. I told them that is what we are gonna have for Thanksgiving....popcorn and toast! Ha!!

"Love one another."

Edited by - Homespun Livin on Nov 20 2008 6:05:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  6:25:58 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Just wanted to share with you girls that (1) I didn't burn anything today (used the timer to keep me on track. And (2) I've been reading Carla Emery's Country Living book and the spirit of my ancestors is beginning to take me over. As I just wrote to Dawn, this evening I made cornbread......from scratch.....and baked it in the oven in our cast iron skillet. That's probably the every day for some of you but I don't make cornbread often and when I did (it's been quite awhile) it was a mix, baked in a pan. I felt so MaryJane because my ingredients were organic. I felt so Lillian because I imagined I was using a wood stove. I felt so my grandmother because I used molasses instead of sugar. I felt so proud of myself because, well, I am a farmgirl! I can just hear my dad up there saying, "It's about time!" And my mom's smiling 'cause I'm actually cooking!

Okay, off to bed for me. Corinne, my dear friend, have a safe trip and enjoy yourself to the extreme. Then share the stories when you get back! Or share them while you're there if you have time and access to a computer. 'Night, Ralph and all you wonderful mavens that bring so much joy to my life.

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 20 2008 6:31:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2008 :  6:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Karen - I love Carla Emery's book - it inspires me to be "Laura Ingalls" every time I read it which has been quite a few times. I wish I was at your house having cornbread!!
Bleahh!!! Snow!!! Bleahh!! Not ready, not at all.
Stitch Cafe was fun, finished pajama pants seams, now I just have to serge them.
Teresa Sue - We are going to France because....a. I have studied French off and on since junior high, I most recently earned a supporting endorsement in French at EWU so I could teach it b. Neither of my parents have studied French and they would like to have me along when they go and c. this gives them an excuse to do something big for me. I'm an only child and they have been very supportive of me when I was a single mom in school, etc. So the 40th is something to celebrate
Our heritage is actually English/Irish/Scotch/Dutch/German via Montana, the south and the Dakota's. If I get the chance to go back to Europe I want to go to the British Isles to look into some family history.
Oh and I wouldn't mind being snowed in really, last year I got snowed out though and I don't want to do that again!!
Happy Thursday night everybody!!
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  04:51:40 AM  Show Profile
Good morning dear Mavens.
Today is very special... I've received the Mavens stickers, they look absolutely awesome. What a nice surprise. It feels warm inside to be a Maven and to have ya'll as sisters in this big adventure.
Brenda, let us know how you are doing, sending positive thoughts to Louisiane today.
Amy Grace, I so hope to be able to meet you in France next march. That would be something. Your parents are very right to want to acknowledge a decision you've made years ago and taking you to France is crowning you for your success.
Teresa Sue, snow is one of the winter wonders I miss the most. Last year we were in Canada for Christmas and we spent 2 days snowed in... sweet memories.
Have a great week-end, I will be around from France, love to ya'll.
And will try to be good hehehehe
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  06:43:23 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens!!!

Corinne have a safe trip and give my regards to your parents.
Brenda, popcorn and toast for Thanksgiving, why not,lol There sure would be less dishes,lol Although I can't gripe, cause my dear son-in-laws do the Thanksgiving dishes for me.
Amy Grace your trip sounds amazing. My ancestory is Scots, German, & Cherokee. Also, via the south and Montana, maybe you are my long lost little sister or cousin,lol. Someday I would love to go to my ancestor's homeland and look out over the land they looked at.
Well I'm finally getting the holiday spirit. I'm going to Moscow(waving to Annika)today to go grocery shopping and I guess I'll go pickup a couple of blouses at the little mall there,(y'all know why) at least everything is supposed to be a good price with the economy the way it is, I'll probably get the grandbeasties their gifties today so I can be done with it.
Well, my biscuits are warmed and ready for some raspberry jam and my tea is ready. Talk to y'all later, have a Grrreat Day!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316

Edited by - Contrary Wife on Nov 21 2008 06:44:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Corinnelouise
True Blue Farmgirl

957 Posts

Corinne
France
957 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  07:13:08 AM  Show Profile
Waving your way Teresa Sue, can I have some biscuits and raspberry pleeeaaassssseeeee, this sounds so yummy.i will tell my parents you say hello, my mom is so fascinated by the farmgirls and the Mavens... she will be delighted.
Okay Mavens, I am on the road, be good and talk to you soon.
L o v e to ya'll.
Corinne

Sister # 101
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  08:05:53 AM  Show Profile
To all of you that like to be "snowed in..... I send Hee Haw raspberries your way! At this time I am about 8" under snow. Schools are closed, roads are a mess and its all lake effect, which means, the lovely Lake Erie that Lora begged me to take her to see is delivering this load of snow upon us. Its not supposed to let up until next week. Its already been snowing since Monday. I have TP, I have a freezer full of food and a sore throat which is keeping me home...not too shabby!
Today I am going to wrap some presents that I've already gotten together and set them aside. Who else wraps as they go? I used to do it all at once, but got so overwhelmed by it all. I am also going to work on my blog as I have so many things I'd like to post. And I am going to make Torilla Soup for dinner with whole grain bread. Yesterday, I wasnt feeling up to snuff, but I ventured out to Medina once again to take pictures of the square decorated for Christmas. I went past my old house, and the old family business location, and my old high school..... so many memories. Definitely a day of introspect.
I wish you all a wonderful day....stay warm. PS: Drink lots of cocoa. I made mine with chillover powder----DEEEE---licious!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen

http://heirloommavens.blogspot.com
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gyspycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com
"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Annika
True Blue Farmgirl

5602 Posts

Annika

USA
5602 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  09:53:10 AM  Show Profile
Hi everyone! Long time no Postie! I have been soooooo busy these last few days and will likely be busy through the Thanksgiving weekend. Blehhhhh! We have been tapped to farm sit for our landlords so that they can go away for the holiday. Anyway. Just wanted to pop on and say a quick helloo to all of my sisters here.

Yum ! Teresa Sue biscuits and raspberry jam and tea.
Safe travels Corinne! Talk to you in France

Hugs to one and all, I'll check back in later =)

Annika
Farmgirl & sister #13
Mud Hen Queen
MJ's Heirloom Maven's Librarian

Go to Top of Page

homemom
True Blue Farmgirl

1593 Posts

Ruth
Warwick RI
USA
1593 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  12:20:48 PM  Show Profile
Brenda~The hard part about high school is that there is alot more to do it seems. For me there is alot more paperwork and preparation. It takes me so much longer to correct all her work and make sure she is where she needs to be. For her there is the added work. Right now she is working on Algebra II from Saxon, Literature, Science, History, SAT prep book for vocab and spelling, Berlitz French, and Intro to Computers for an elective. She still gets done earlier than in regular school but it is more. I guess you just need to get into a routine.

Amy Grace~What grocery store do you work at? I wish I could come to your cheese sale, I love cheese.

I just took a break to check in. I am sewing some aprons. I have two cut out and am working on the first one. I want to get it all figured out before I make the second one. One of them is for a swap so I want it to come out great. I am in the mood for snow here. It has been very cold but no snow. Dawn and all you snowed in gals can you send some our way. It just feels like there should be snow here.

Ruth

Living the farm life in my heart.
http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/Ruth
http://farmgirlinmyheart.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9324 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9324 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  1:04:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh my I am trying to catch up on the posts but I guess I'll finish later. Sorry I haven't been on to much. We are really getting busy at the store and gosh I just don't get time on here. I miss you all but I'm checking in when I can.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43
"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  1:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Mavens, I have a request from our QMD. She's all snowed in and nowhere to post. Her computer has died or at least is in critical condition and she can't post. Oh my, oh my! What to do? She is so lost and feels like the IV has been pulled out of her arm. She needs information from you so if you would please e-mail me your answer, I will make sure she gets it.

Here are her questions:
1) What is your favorite color?
2) Do you prefer gold or silver?

Thanks you so much and please keep Dawn in your thoughts as she struggles through her Maven withdrawal symptoms.

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 21 2008 1:28:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2008 :  8:19:22 PM  Show Profile
my fave color: yellow
silver or gold: silver
------------
hey gals..stay warm! brrr..it was chilly here this evening as hubby and I had a little date night out..went and did a bit of Christmas shopping...and it was chilly out.
-----------
hope you all are staying healthy and happy and getting ready for Thanksgiving.
Hope you all have a lovely Thanksgiving day with family and friends.
-------

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  05:39:15 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Good morning, Mavens! The newsletter has been posted for your reading enjoyment (I hope!).

If you haven't gone to American Farmland Trust to vote for the future of food in our country, please do so after reading the newsletter. The link is the first entry in the reminders section. If you think you won't have time after reading the newsletter, here's the link so you can do it now: www.farmland.org (How's that for a not-so-subtle push?)

Okay, I wanted to tell you here how grateful I am for all of you but I'm tearing already just thinking about it. So go read the newsletter....after you vote at AFT....or before......but be sure to vote.

God bless -

Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  05:59:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Good morning Mavens,
Brrrr, no snow yet, just freezing rain,poor hubby has to drive to work on it. That is one thing about this part of the country I don't like, the freezing rain in the winter. The winters aren't that bad here for the most part(remember I grew up on the high desert plains of Nev and Wyo, where they have WINTER! and long stretches of below zero temps, so that is my reference point), but having to drive on sheets of ice is much worse than driving on snow pack in my opinion. It is supposed to snow this morning. That's okay, I went to town yesterday and got all my groceries shopping done. Man, the price of groceries just blows me away.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  06:22:55 AM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Brrrrrrrr here too. No snow or freezing rain or rain at all, just cold. My feet were so cold last night that I had to put the heating pad over them just so I could get to sleep. (Yes, I kept it on low. And Gussie, our new smoke alarm - remember the eggs? - sleeps with us too.)

Freezing rain is the worst. No traction. If the car starts to slide there isn't much a person can do. I'll say and extra prayer for your hubby today that he stays safe on the roads.

God bless -

Edited by - LivingWell4You on Nov 22 2008 09:47:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  07:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Karen,I hate it that he has to drive so much for work. I had to go finish breakfast and then I got sidetracked by a cooking show, hehehe.
Oh, fav colors, definitely silver, mmmmmm and, that's hard because I like a lot of colors, but I will go with purple. Hope our QMD is back with us soon, say "hi" for me, will you, Karen?
Nice to hear from you Annika, Tina, Denise, and Ruth. Where do you work Denise?
I left the house yesterday at 8:45am and got home at 5:30pm. Going to town is gruelling work. I haven't been shopping in a long, long time and it seems there are just more and more people and traffic. I take this little side road from Palouse, WA over to hwy 95 in Idaho and drop down into Moscow, Idaho and usually there is hardly any traffic on it, but not yesterday, crazy, I'm hoping it's just the holiday factor and all those people didn't move here in the last few months since I last went shopping, lol. I did score on organic butter at the Huckleberry section at Rosauers tho, $2.49 for a pound. They are all in my freezer, too bad it's an hour drive down and and hour drive back or I'd go get more,hehehe
Well, dear Friends, I've got some serious cleaning to attend to once I read my emails, so have a great Weekend!!!

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 217 Keeping in Touch: Previous Topic Danger of Extinction Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page