fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  09:24:22 AM  Show Profile
So I live in what used to be farmland, surrounded by old farms and decreped tobacco barns and for the LIFE OF ME I can not seem to find anyone interested in joining my farmgirl chapter. Is it rebellion against their parents ways? Is it sheer laziness? Why doesn't anyone else want to learn OLD things, and skills that are back to our original way of life? I am frusterated to say the least.
I had set up a knitting class and had absolutely NO RESPONSE! It was to be at the same location where all our homeschool kids go everyweek for co-op classes (easy location) and during the same time as the kids were in class (childcare issue resolved) and I got NOTHING. ECH. I'm alone, very very alone wearing my apron, hanging my clothes on the line and loving my hens.
vexed, sorely vexed.
Paige

www.fionaswampington.blogspot.com

http://homespunhensfarmgirlchapter.blogspot.com/
Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  09:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
Aww Paige, I am sorry you cant find em. They are out there!! Keep looking dont give up

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  09:35:48 AM  Show Profile
You are not alone I am one of those kind of gals sure wish you lived close to me

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  09:47:58 AM  Show Profile
Paige, I sure wish I was in NC. I would love someone to have the patience to teach me to knit!

I think it is the world we live in- everybody is in a hurry and they don't have time for "extra" activities. Hang in there.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  09:53:38 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Paige- Have you tried posting fliers at the feed stores, pet stores and craft stores?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  10:10:23 AM  Show Profile

hey gurlfren .. i deleted them here and decided to send you my thoughts via e-mail. xoxoxoxo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Sep 08 2008 11:10:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  10:11:48 AM  Show Profile
I haven't tried fliers, because I wanted a base of folks I know before I extended it out to folks I don't know. I did give a farmgirl card to the lady at the Farmers Market, we aren't "friends" but we always talk when I go to buy her produce so...and I haven't invited her YET but I certainly could....
AT this point I'm going to learn to knit even if I'm all alone, and then we'll do a cookie swap and talk about homemade Christmas gifts. Another good idea my friend had was to decorate your table for the season, only using things you already have. Then pack up those things for our gatherin and show each other what we did by taking turns decorating the table...Any other ideas? Man, people do not slow down. Busy driving there kids here and yon' and this is the HOMESCHOOL moms, I think they should call themselves "carschool" moms cause they're not ever home!
just a little cranky today I guess....
is it a full moon?
P~

Man, despite his artistic pretensions, his sophistication, and his many accomplishments, owes his existence to a six inch layer of topsoil and the fact that it rains.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  10:49:19 AM  Show Profile
ditto here .. xoxoxo

Edited by - CabinCreek-Kentucky on Sep 08 2008 11:11:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  12:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
Love your name Paige, I would be over in a North Carolina minute if I lived close enough...never give up, never...maybe outside your realm of comfort is where the real farmgirls are and they just are waiting to be found...wishing you a special gift of having your hand of friendship to be shaken soon...Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  12:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Oh Paige,
I am so sorry to hear about this. Surely there is somebody that is very interested. I am one of the those homeschool moms that does like to knit, wants to learn to spin, I love my plants, likes fresh eggs and raw honey and loves to sew!! I have a feeling that the kinda homeschool mom that has the same interests as you do, probably does not venture very far from home as she is way too busy with school and tending to her critters. I agree though, try the feed store, craft store, vet's office, 4-H clubs, and shoot, pass out flyers at the farmers market. Get that lady that you buy produce from involved. My daddy always said, " A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet!" Best wishes to ya.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

Marcy
True Blue Farmgirl

2701 Posts

Marcy
Tiverton Rhode Island
USA
2701 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  3:09:03 PM  Show Profile
Paige,
How I wished you lived closer. I feel like such a freak sometimes because I am the ONLY one that I know of that likes to do all of the homey, crafty, old time things that I love to do. I get eye rolls, a shake of the head, or sometimes just a blank stare as if to say, just what planet did this freakoid come from? That is why I LOVE this site so much. There are actually people like me here. I feel like I have come home here and I am sooo grateful for this site and all of the wonderful ladies that I have met here. Hopefully, you will meet others like us around your area. (I wish I could) Good luck and take care!

Farmgirl #170

Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  4:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
Hi Paige, wish you lived near Georgia. I am the same way, what is wrong with these people? All they do is rush rush rush and buy things already prepared. I also feel like a freak at times. I have no friends and it's not because I am a B...... I just don't like to shop (unless it is for wood, leather, feed, craft stores) ha ha. I'm not into clothes. Don't like anything but my jeans, bib overalls, and boots. What in the world would people do if they actually had to sew something? Oh My Gosh!!!!! ;) Do they even teach it in school anymore? I mean, I'm only 47 but I feel like a 100! ha ha. I would LOVE to learn to knit.

Thank God I live in the country!
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  4:16:02 PM  Show Profile
I have tried to start a local chapter too with no avail. I guess people are just busy.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  6:04:38 PM  Show Profile
I wish you lived closer to PA!! Unfortunately life has been made to easy and not many people realize we may be thankful to know the old ways.
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  6:27:26 PM  Show Profile
I know it wouldn't be people you know, but sometimes Penny Savers when you offer something free, will give you "free" ads. So maybe that would be a option.

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  6:41:21 PM  Show Profile
Paige,

It might take me longer than an hour to make that treck to North Carolina but I would if I were closer! Don't give up, just cast the net wider. Check with the local homeschool chapters in your area. This maybe a great way to involve moms and daughters/sons. I'm in Maryland and I contacted the two chapters that were closest to me and I got the reverse. I haven't heard from anybody. Go figure-if only we were closer-we'd have a chapter of two!

Hugs,
Bonnie
Farmgirl #333
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  6:52:45 PM  Show Profile
Could you use Craiglist to get the word out also??

Yep, I think people are too busy now to worry about us 'oldies'. You oughta see how people drive! Gotta get there yesterday!!

I love the old ways and roughin' it a bit too! People don't takt the time to smell the roses and pretty soon, life has gone by.

Maybe if you just knit for yourself and do things for yourself, you can 'attract' others by sight and sound. Keep trying, don't give up.

Winona ;-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

fionalovesshrek
True Blue Farmgirl

186 Posts

Paige
kinston North Carolina
USA
186 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  7:13:26 PM  Show Profile
I have decided I will knit for myself, go on and learn it and maybe I can teach a basics class someday. I'll also proceed with my Christmas idea's, and if it's just myself and my bestest farmgirl buddy, then it'll be more than enough fun.
Thanks for all the support. I took Frannies advice and got a nice hunk of dark chocolate to set my mood straight!
P~

Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  7:35:17 PM  Show Profile
Hang in there girlfriend! I wished you lived next door to me! My neighbors look at me weird also and I'm always outside and they stay inside....they hire things done outside and it seems the women here don't want me to have anything to do with them because I am single...like I would want their husbands...NOT!!!! But I could use some women friends and that is why I love this site! What would I do without all of you!?!?!? You're wonderful!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  8:01:56 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Paige!

I do wish that I live closer....we have a pretty good virtual chapter going on here, but I want the actual meeting...you know Samantha time, not Mommie or Babe time...I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to learn to knit, but the classes that are offered here are kinda bunky. Oh well. I do hope that you have good luck in finding a group of gals!

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  10:43:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Dear Paige.....the "times" are so that I think people just become wrapped up in "Things"! .....I too find that it is very hard to find people interested in sewing, knitting, any and all home skills, organics, etc. You are not alone in your thoughts Paige. How Lucky we all are to have found so many kindred spirits here on MaryJanes Farmgirl Connection! How Wonderful it is to know that there are others who share in these Joys! We may not be able to Geographically be together but we are certainly close in "Spirit"!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  05:02:12 AM  Show Profile
Paige...maybe you could teach a "homeschool" class to some of the young people. Learn together! Start with the basics and move on. Maybe by teaching some of the kids, the parents will follow. You are right, it is a shame. I'm always on the look out for a little me-time when the "kids" are busy doing kid-time stuff. It's hard. It's not bad though to sit in the car or under a tree during football practice and read or knit.

It's funny Audrey, about your post. I met with a friend who wanted to do some "girl time" sewing and crafting. She doesn't really sew but had some projects she needs help with. Her girls really want to learn and I've done a purse with them and we've done a day with beadwork. I was showing a bunch of my fabric in my UFO pile and a new pattern/fabric for a new apron. She asked if I wear an apron? I said sure! Then went on to share my apron story. Then I showed her my new "want-to-do" project...embroidery. I had purchased a couple of patterns, the old Aunt Martha iron on kind, and a coupleof plain pillow cases to start. She said, Geez, I thought embroidery was a lost art! I used to do a lot of it as a youngster and the whole pillow case swap inspired me (even though I didn't participate). I'm not sure I can these days. Holding a needle for that long is hard but I wanted to give it a shot. She REALLY wants a little something to put in her bread basket for when she makes muffings....well...guess what she's getting for Christmas?
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  05:52:54 AM  Show Profile
T-StarMeadow.

I have severe corpul tunnel syndrome, I found a ointment I get at the Whole Foods called Toprican, helps a lot. It doesn't smell, tingle, burn etc. In fact it just feels as if I just put on lotion. But, with in a day or two the pain starts going away! Then it doesn't come back for a long time! In fact, I went a year with out putting any on!

I also find the gloves for this syndrome helps a lot too. Not the braces, but the gloves. If I had bigger hands, I think the gloves would work even better! But, I'm a small person (I'm only 4' 8!) and I bought the size extra small glove but it's still pretty big. My ring size is a 3 or 4. And I don't think most grown ups are that small. So...the extra small was still pretty big on me. But, it still helps a lot. And if it actually fit right I think it would help even more. But, it's better then the braces, which were huge on me!

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  06:26:45 AM  Show Profile
I can AMEN most of these posts. There are very few farmgirls in North Louisiana. I tried to get just a general farm girl gathering together last year, and we all decided 'after the first of the year' would be best, and here it is September. I guess it just fell through the cracks, what with everyone's schedule. Paige, if you do get one started, it sounds like you have some great ideas to get it off the ground! Just keep the faith, girl, and be patient. It'll happen for you, I'm sure! And good luck with the knitting. I'm thinking seriously about learning, too!

from the hearts of paradise...
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  08:12:12 AM  Show Profile
I totally understand! I am in the same spot, And I have started to teach knitting to a few friends but they dont have time. So i get it too. You are not alone at all!
Morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder

www.laubers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  08:21:26 AM  Show Profile
Paige, Hang in there! I live in Arizona and I know of one farmgirl 6 hours from me! My neighbor wants to learn to knit, but hasn't had time to get together! There are farmgirls out there, just look at all of us!!

Monica
farmgirls rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic I'm vexed, I'm sorely vexed Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page