Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  07:57:42 AM  Show Profile
Holy Smokes!

Dawn #279
MJ's Heirloom Mavens/Mother Hen
http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  08:38:04 AM  Show Profile
In butter!? That's crazy. Even popcorn too.. guess I'll be thinking about finding an organic alternative.

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://quaintandkeepinghouse.blogspot.com New Homekeeping Blog!
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  10:37:29 AM  Show Profile
Great, all the stuff I love (starting with butter!) Good thing cream cheese isn't on the list, or I might just cry.
Thanks for posting that -- it really makes you think; even if we try to each healthy, the bad stuff still sneaks in.

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  1:00:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It's really eye opening isn't it?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

luvnlife
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

Michele
Quincy WA
USA
82 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  1:56:31 PM  Show Profile
FYI-And I didn't even get through Alee's entire list of nasty stuff...WOW!
Chloradane-insecticide used on termites

Dieldrin is a chlorinated hydrocarbon originally produced in 1948 by J. Hyman & Co, Denver, as an insecticide. The molecule has a ring structure based on naphthalene.

Dieldrin is closely related to aldrin which itself breaks down to form dieldrin. Aldrin is not toxic to insects, it is oxidised in the insect to form dieldrin which is the active compound. Both dieldrin and aldrin are named after the Diels-Alder reaction which is used to form aldrin from a mixture of norbornadiene and hexachlorocyclopentadiene.

Originally developed in the 1940s as an alternative to DDT, dieldrin proved to be a highly effective insecticide and was very widely used during the 1950s to early 1970s. Endrin is a stereoisomer of dieldrin.

However, it is an extremely persistent organic pollutant, it does not easily break down. Furthermore it tends to biomagnify as it is passed along the food chain. Long-term exposure has proven toxic to a very wide range of animals including humans, far greater than to the original insect targets. For this reason it is now banned in most of the world.

It has been linked to health problems such as Parkinson's, Breast Cancer, and immune, reproductive, and nervous system damage. It can also adversly affect testicular descent in the fetus if a pregnant woman is exposed to Dieldrin.

Dioxin is a heterocyclic, organic, antiaromatic compound with the chemical formula C4H4O2. There are two isomers, 1,2-dioxin (or o-dioxin) and 1,4-dioxin (or p-dioxin). Their chemical structures are shown at right. The ortho isomer 1,2-dioxin is very unstable due to its peroxide-like characteristics. The known properties of 1,4-dioxin are listed in the infobox to the right.

1,4-dioxin can be prepared by cycloaddition, namely by the Diels-Alder reaction. [1]

Dioxin is used as a blanket term for a family of chemical compounds that are formed through combustion, chlorine bleaching and manufacturing processes.[2] The combination of heat and chlorine creates dioxin.[2] Since chlorine is often a part of the earth's environment, natural ecological activity such as volcanic activity and forest fires can lead to the formation of dioxin.[2] Nevertheless, dioxin, a highly carcinogenic and toxic compound, is mostly created by human activity.

Exposure to endrin can cause various harmful effects including death and severe central nervous system injury. Swallowing very large amounts of endrin may cause convulsions and kill you in a few minutes or hours. Exposure to high doses may result in headaches, dizziness, nervousness, confusion, nausea, vomiting, and convulsions. No long-term health effects have been noted in workers. Endrin has been found in at least 120 of the 1,430 National Priorities List sites identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Family life is the source of the greatest human happiness. This happiness is the simplest and least costly kind, and it cannot be purchased with money~Havighurst
Farmgirl Sister #306 :)
www.trooperchelly.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  2:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh my gosh! Thanks for posting that information. Even the name is ominous (die-ox-in) even though I know it is just the scientific name describing the molecules.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Are you Snacking safe? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page