Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  08:28:52 AM  Show Profile
I loved Nancy's post about the Grammy chair -- a great place to snuggle and read to kids. I had just posted a list of favorite children's books on my blog yesterday, and was wondering what your favorite books to read to your children/grandchildren are?

My current favorite is Owl Babies, by Martin Waddell. But I change the names of the baby owls to the names of my own 3 children!

Peace.

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  1:59:46 PM  Show Profile
'I Love you Forever'....I can't get through it without crying. Also, I love reading Dr. Seuss! The kids learn to read so early from those silly rhymes. I'll pause at the end of each line and let them fill in the blank and before you know it, they can read the whole thing.

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Mommyswanson
True Blue Farmgirl

463 Posts

Laura
Waukegan IL
USA
463 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  6:06:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh Gosh! How to chose? I teach Preschool so I think I must have thousands of children's books. I guess for little kids I would have to say Beatrix Potter's little books are some of my favorites for the illustrations. I LOVE reading all the Eric Carle books to my class like "Brown Bear, Brown Bear." My personal favorites from childhood were the "Little House" Books & a lovely book called: "Cathy's Room." about a little girl who finally gets her own bedroom.

Laura

"That which does not kill us makes us strong!" "I cast all my cares upon you Lord."
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  08:24:49 AM  Show Profile
My daughter (almost 2) favorite is Dr. Seuss, Green Eggs, and Ham. Or as she calls it SAM! lol :)

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Nance in France
True Blue Farmgirl

1438 Posts

Nancy
St. Laurent de la Salanque
France
1438 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  11:45:01 AM  Show Profile
Love the Holly Hobbie books, Tasha Tudor and Beatrix Potter. Sometimes I still look through them, and my boys are grown ups! Hugs, Nance
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  12:50:35 PM  Show Profile
Still love the Little House on the Prairie books, and have them all.
Will try to read them again come wintertime (attention span still not up to par :( )

Hugs from Marian/Dutchy, a farmgirl from the Netherlands :)

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG
Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  2:08:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh of course the Little House books, and Anne of Green Gables. :)

http://www.heathersprairie.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  4:15:37 PM  Show Profile
The old
Golden book "Over in the Meadow" and Margaret Wise Brown's "The Color Kittens" (another old Golden book ) were big faves at our house, also "Catch Me and Kiss Me and Say it Again" by Clyde and Wendy Watson. They have written lots of lovely children's books. Also Garth Williams "The Chicken Book". Okay - I'll stop, I could go on forev er....

Karin P.S. For older kids, I recommend Tove Jannson's Moomintroll series....

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  8:09:20 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
My favorite children's book was "Little Women". I can still remember laying in my mom's bed reading it when I was a little girl. It was the best spot in the house to me! She had one of those over the bed lights that she and my dad used for reading. Wow, memories.....

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  9:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
Ok, personally I still love Little Women...my sisters and I even call my mother Marmie. For children though, I like The True Story of the Three Little Pigs, by Jon Scieszka, which is the wolf's point of view. I also like Pink and Say by Patricia Polaco and the How Do Dinosaurs... series. They are all very good, especially if you have a boy that is into dinos.

Samantha

www.myspace.com/elphie0503

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas; they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.~~Emily Bronte, Wuthering Heights
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  9:30:03 PM  Show Profile
I Love YOu Forever is one of my favorites for sure. I cry every time too!
For a little bit older kids (8 and older) I LOVE Where the Red Fern Grows, Summer of the Monkeys, Charlotte's Web and of course all the Little HOuse books.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

kmbrown
True Blue Farmgirl

459 Posts

Misty
Waynesboro Pennsylvania
USA
459 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  05:17:14 AM  Show Profile
For little ones my favorite is called "Mommy's Best Kisses" Both of my boys will bring me that book and I can read it 4-5 times before they will get down for a differant book!
I Love You Forever is also a favorite and I sing that song to all three of my babies!
Another funny one is called "Look out, said the Elephant, I'm going to sneeze"! The pictures in there just crack me up!
Go to Top of Page

clux64
True Blue Farmgirl

162 Posts

Celeste
Blair NE
USA
162 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  06:06:18 AM  Show Profile
How about the Kevin Henke Books? Lillies Purple Plastic Purse, Chrysanthamum, Owen...His characters are like real kids, there's always a great lesson, and parents will appreciate the subtle humor thrown in for their benefit. Wonderful, read out loud books!

Celeste

"No matter where you go, there you are"
--Confucious

www.urbanprairiehome.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  06:27:26 AM  Show Profile
Celeste, those are the greatest. I worked for 5 years on the county bookmobile, and one of our favorite things to do was dressing up for storytime -- my boss is the greatest Lily -- she even has a purple plastic purse. Not only did the kids love her, she did the story in nursing homes and retirement housing, she also did it for club meetings. What a hit, because the story touches us all.

www.oldsweetsong.blogspot.com
Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  07:35:40 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to mention that my OWN favorite book when I was little is called Casey The Clumsy Colt. It is really cute and I even named my second son Casey. Told him this is where I got the name. I didn't, but he thinks that...haha. A cute story...by the same author is Cow in the House....I love that one too.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2008 :  6:43:32 PM  Show Profile
I recommend Elizabeth Enright - The Four Story Mistake; The Saturdays -- these are wonderful books that I loved, and my 3 boys have loved...
My own childhood FAVORITE would have to be Charlotte's Web -
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2008 :  7:06:04 PM  Show Profile
I also loved Charlottes Web, Dr. Suess, If You Give a Moose a Muffin

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/

http://aminiatureworld.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

knittingmom
True Blue Farmgirl

665 Posts

AnneMarie
Edmonton Alberta
Canada
665 Posts

Posted - Oct 05 2008 :  7:16:43 PM  Show Profile
Jane Yolen has some very good books. Of course the Franklin the turtle books (not sure if you're familiar with these in the States). Berenstein Bears are always classic.

Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  12:26:31 PM  Show Profile
My favorite picture book is: "Frog in Love" by Max Velthuijis.

It's about a frog who is feeling funny, he then goes and asks Hare what's wrong, after discribing his symptoms, Hare delcares Frog's in love. But who is he in love with? A duck! But his friend the pig says he can't be because she's white and he's green-this doesn't discourage Frog. Instead he trie to do things to show his love. In the end Frog tries to impress Duck with the highest junp in history-it goes wrong and he's hurt. Duck come to his rescue and nurses him back to health. He finds out that Duck also has feelings for him. The last page is the best. It reads:" A Frog and a Duck.... Green and white. Love knows no boundries."
My favorite children's chapter book is: Phantom of the Tollbooth by Norton Juster.
I can't get into all the details, (not enough room)but it's about a boy who feels that lifes just so-so and there's nothing to do. Everything changes when a strange package is left in his room. He opens it to reveal a tollbooth. He goes on an amazing adventure and when he comes back he relizes how great life is.
If you haven't read this one- you just got to. This author is amazing. Phantom of the Tollbooth is the book I still come back to read when nothing exciting is going on.

Jessi Lynn
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2008 :  8:39:29 PM  Show Profile
This is a subject very near and dear to my heart! Because we homeschooled our two sons, we have a huge collection of children's books. (Boys are now 23 and 21!) Some favorite authors-Lois Lenski-I fell in love with this author when I was in 5th grade! She wrote in the 30's and 40's about America-the first book I read was Strawberry Girl; about a migrant farmer and his family. She has stories about boys and girls. My Father's Dragon-a 3 book series by Ruth Gannett-about a young boy named Elmer and the adventures he has in rescuing a baby dragon. The Incredible Flight to the Mushroom Planet-author escapes me; this too is a series. The Indian in the Cupboard series, Detectives in Togas and the Roman Ransom, Mr. Popper's Penguins, The Three Little Ponies, The Family Under the Bridge, the Little House Series, and the list could go on and on.......

Bonnie
Farmgirl Sister #333
Go to Top of Page
  Reading Room: Previous Topic Favorite Children's Books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page