Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Pie Filling oozing out of jars, help!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pie Filling oozing out of jars, help! Next Topic  

DJSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Darlene
Kalispell Montana
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  4:28:41 PM  Show Profile
I am canning apple pie filling and am following the recipe in Mary Janes book.
I have made two seperate batches now, and each time, as I lift the jars from the hot water bath, they begin oozing pie filling.

They have since sealed, but I am wondering how good the seal can be if pie filling is oozed under the lid.?

Does anyone know why this is happening? I have canned butters and jellies before and this has never happened before.

Im so frustrated as it was a bunch of work lol.

Thank you!

Darlene

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  6:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Darlene- I am not an expert canner by any means, but I would assume that perhaps for your elevation you weren't leaving enough head space?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4179 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4179 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  05:09:39 AM  Show Profile
I have had this happen before with pie filling. Leave extra head space, or cut down a bit on the timeing of the water bath. Check with your local extension office for the correct times, for your area, for water baths. Or maybe the heat under the water bath could of been turned down a bit, to keep boiling, but not so fast.

Michele
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  07:03:38 AM  Show Profile
I had the same problem last year with canning sliced apples. I was afraid to us them and ended up dumping them this year. I never had that problem with anything else, I've done. I would think something about the apples? Though my apple butter and applesauce never did that.

Thanks, Alee and Michele, I will try leaving more head space and try just a couple jars to see what happens.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  11:31:19 AM  Show Profile
I have only had that problem with tomato juice. I'm pretty sure it is because I had them too full and not enough room to boil. As the temp of the product comes up it will start to boil. If it is too full it will push the lid up then continue to boil. I have taken tomato juice from the canner and the jar be half full.
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  5:39:05 PM  Show Profile
yup, I've had that happen too. I checked the book and as long as the jars seal you are good to go. I think the answer was in the troubleshooting section of hte book.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  9:32:26 PM  Show Profile
As long as the seals are good they will be fine..just a lesson for next time..and a sticky mess to clean off the jars. It happens to us all at some point. It bubbles out during the processing and then once the jars seal it stops...it will come unsealed if a little fiber of fruit or anything got in the seal. I would just leave them a little less full next time.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

DJSmiles
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Darlene
Kalispell Montana
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  12:49:59 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all so very much for your helpful answers. I am going to go do some more right now and leave more room. I will let you know how it goes! Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  4:23:47 PM  Show Profile
Good to know. I canned some peaches last weekend and had the same problem. I thought at the time I was filling the jars too full and have been wondering how safe they are. I've checked the seals and all seems well but have been wondering. Thanks Aunt Jenny for the confirmation that all is well. You need to offer a canning seminar for us farmgirls who are less sure of our selves!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Pie Filling oozing out of jars, help! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page