Author Family Matters: Previous Topic Journey of a Lifetime Next Topic  

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  12:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
This may get long winded, but I am so excited to share my trip and I know some of the people here will appreciate at least parts of it. So bear with me while I try to do the short versionand enjoy!

Back at Easter time, my mother received an invitation to her high school's 45th class reunion. She whipped out her yearbooks and we went through them together. My daughters were rather shocked at how much we looked alike, ie our senior pictures could've been of twins. We even joked that I would go in her place and really freak people out! Especially since she has recently fought the battle of lymphoma.
Well, instead, we decided to make it a girls weekend and revisit Centralia, PA where we were both born, then attend the reunion.
For those who don't know, Centralia, PA, is essentially gone. It is in the coal region of the state. My grandfather was a coal miner. Many years ago, a mine fire ignited a very long and very deep coal vein beneath the village. Over time, fissures opened up under homes and streets. Some basements actually caved in. Poisonous gases were released. The government bought the villagers out and relocated the great majority of them, the buildings torn down. This is what we were going back to...nothingness, with only memories as a guide.
Back to the journey:
On the first day, we went to Mt Carmel, where she attended high school. Lo and behold, we meet "Bug". Bug was my mother's boyfriend when she was 14 years old! Ladies, if you ever wanted to know what your mother was like as a teenager, this kind of meeting is priceless! It is also an extremely good source of blackmail material, ! It did explain to me why I was grounded for even thinking about stuff without ever attempting it! (I do it to my girls all the time myself. They always say "How did you know?" I just smile sweetly)
We then visited the graves of both of my grandfathers. Shamefully, I had to inquire where one was buried because I have not returned to the area since the funeral eight years ago. Bittersweet memories for us both.
The next day we returned to Centralia. This would become one of the most profound days of my life, not to mention, my mothers. Sadly, she was unwanted and abused as a small child. ( I didn't know this until just recently) As we roamed the empty streets, the cemetaries and the landscape, the ghosts of the past were felt, acknowledged and released back to where they belong. As I said, the buildings are pretty much all gone, we had to look for clues to the locations of things that had been. Actually, in a way, we probably looked like nut cases, scrambling around in the bushes and weeds, hollaring back and forth that we had found something. Oh well, at least, the good memories came back as well, with alot of giggling and carrying on, taking pictures of each other with strange (to others) backdrops. Ie, one of my mom with a "goonie". In coal region speak, a "goonie" is a big rock, lol!
We went to the reunion the next day. And we did freak people out! They didn't have name tags, but my mom said I was her tag. If they didn't recognize her right off, they knew who I was. It was a blast!
I ended up being the official photographer and videographer.

Now for the lessons learned: Go ahead and take a break

1. I am unique, just like my mother,lol. Seriously, though, we are who and what we are because of the experiences of our lives. The good, the bad and the ugly. It's what we choose to do with or learn from those experiences that define us. We, my mother, sister, and I, have been through some doozies that would have made us nasty old creatures if we hadn't stuck together and overcome them with faith and joy.
2. "Mirror, mirror on the wall, I have become my mother after all" My face, my speech, my mannerisms, my pride, my passions, and most definitely my sense of humour.
3. My sense of humour is a good thing! Others may not get it and it might even irritate certain people. (I won't name names, H would get ticked) But a good giggle fit over something trivial burns calories, erases frown lines, gives your heart and lungs a workout, and brings a sense of joy, happiness and harmony. And if you are over a certain age or have had kids, it makes sure you always pack lots of undies!
Example: In our motel room, there was a carnivous toliet! This thing scared the bejeebies out of us. The second you hit the lever, it would go SWOOOOSH! If you had sat on it with the undies up, it probably would have flushed them right off! We would crack up everytime the other would jump at the sound. We even video-taped the action, with umm standins for what normally goes down.
4. I've spent entirely too many years trying to be what I thought I should be and what others thought I should. Enough is enough. And I won't have to do it alone. I still have my mother, and even if she leaves me, I will have these memories forever.
5. I am a FarmGirl through and through. Albeit a coal miner's granddaughter type of girl. I may be stuck in the burb's, but you can't rub that stuff out no matter how hard you try and I have to go back to go forward.

Thanks to All that read this far, I know it's long. Be true to yourself and if you ever get a chance to go back to the past, either to find yourself or help someone else, please do it. You won't regret it!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  3:48:35 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
What a great post Sherry! I can just imagine you two scrambling around in the weeds and rocks! It sounds like it was a wonderful trip! I love your tips too!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  4:31:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
Wow, Sherry, I wish I could've seen you and your mom walk into that reunion! I bet you could hear every chin hit the floor!

You seem to have found some inner piece, farmgirl friend, and Iam so happy for you!! I can't wait to hear more about it when we see each other soon!!

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/

http://bigdogmom130.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2008 :  4:41:49 PM  Show Profile
My 50th Class Reunion is coming up next year. I would love to have both of my boys there with me. What a blast you must have had. You had me laughing out loud with your bathroom fun. It's good that your Mom has so much fun with you or is it the other way around?

Thanks for sharing,
Betty in Pasco

Edited by - Betty J. on Sep 10 2008 12:00:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kris Sherrill
True Blue Farmgirl

131 Posts

Kris
Chickamauga Ga.
USA
131 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  07:10:22 AM  Show Profile
Sherry, What a wonderful memory! You are a great writer and just pulled me right in. I have tears in my eyes just imagining the ghosts of the little town that is no more. How sad, especially for those who were born or raised there. But you will always have the memories. I would love to print this off and keep it to read more. (I just need to learn how to do that!)

Thank you for sharing such a wonderful trip. You are fortunate to have been able to go through that with your mother. I would love to go back to some places I lived wiht my Mom, if I could get her away from my stepfather. He thinks they should be together all the time.

Anyway, thankyou for your story. It was beautiful. Kris
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  07:46:14 AM  Show Profile
Delightful story--thanks for sharing. Bittersweet memories.
"Mirror, mirror on the wall
I am my Mother after all"
So true, so true. and so funny---my Mother says the same thing.

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  11:25:45 AM  Show Profile
What a touching story, thanks for sharing it with us all.

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

lilyblossom
True Blue Farmgirl

416 Posts

Donna
Evansville IN
USA
416 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  8:24:31 PM  Show Profile
Sherry, thanks for sharing your journey. Isn't it great to have those girl trips and learn things about yourself?

Donna...true blue KY farmgirl, farmgirl #86
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2008 :  9:03:10 PM  Show Profile
Very poignant story, thanks for sharing with us. My mother was also unwanted and in her final years, I understood more about her. She had no basis to know how to be a mother and did remarkably well under the circumstances. My older sister might not agree, but they butt heads forever and that made a difference.
How lucky you were able to make this trip with your mother and relive/make memories that will be with both of you forever.
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2008 :  07:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
Sherry, that was awesome. Those times are to be treasured. My mom (at the age of 58) was taken suddenly by cancer. I used to take things for granted like when she would call me discussing what was on sale at the grocery store. I would be in the middle of my job at work and I would get irritated with her because of something so trivial. However, I tell you, I would give anything in this world to get another one of those phone calls from her discussing the price of celery at the grocery store. We take so much for granted and then it is gone. Enjoy all the memories and the fun with your Mom!

Thank God I live in the country!
Go to Top of Page

Back Home Again
True Blue Farmgirl

584 Posts

Audrey
Albuquerque New Mexico
USA
584 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2008 :  9:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Back Home Again an AOL message
Sherry .... I think your Mom graduated about the same time I did so I know you are quite a bit younger then me so....... I must tell you..........

>>>>>>>>>>>>......You ARE WISE Way Beyond your Years!!! What a Sweetheart you are to go with your Mother on this Journey! I say that because I know when I have gone to my Class Reunions it REALLY is a JOURNEY filled with unexplainable emotions! What a Lovely Bonding experience for you to travel that road with your Mom! and, The Lessons you pulled from that Journey with her are Life Changing Ones!

KUDOS To You! Your Mother is Very Lucky to have raised such a delightful daughter!

Until Later,
Audrey

~ Side by side or miles apart....dear friends are always close to the heart ~
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  07:43:55 AM  Show Profile
Bravo! Bravo!!

What a great story about the toilet! hehehe...

Yep, be true to yourself, nothing better in this world for ya!

Winona :-)

When you lose, don't lose the lesson!!

http://goneriding.wordpress.com/

Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2008 :  7:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
Thank you so much for you all that posted! I just knew that it would be appreciated here. I sent my post to my mom. She's thrilled! She doesn't belong to the network (yet)! I had to make it short but there were so many other things that just made it the perfect trip.
Thanks to you all!

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page

Janneane Hazlip
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Janneane
Fort Scott Kansas
USA
67 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  11:57:30 AM  Show Profile
What a great story. You keep making those memories with your mom. You will never regret the time spent. I lost my mother in January and am so thrilled to have cherished memories of her. She was my quilting partner. You have touched my heart.
Janneane
Go to Top of Page

Tapestry
True Blue Farmgirl

1223 Posts

Cheryl
Wisconsin
USA
1223 Posts

Posted - Oct 02 2008 :  11:26:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Tapestry a Yahoo! Message
Sherry I just found your story and you are a fine writer and a wonderful daughter. As I read your story I felt like I was right there watching as you and your mom prodded and poked among the weeds and shrubbery. How precious what you were able to share that trip with your mom. I also agree with Audrey...you are wise beyond your years. Sometimes I think adversity when health issues pop up make us truly open our eyes and see our parents in a different light. How lucky you were to realize that and see your mother's younger self and yourself in her.
God Bless!
Cheryl

Happy farmgirl sister #353

Look for rainbows instead of mud puddles

http://tapestrysimaginings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Oct 03 2008 :  08:07:26 AM  Show Profile
Sherry - what a beautiful story! Thank you so much for sharing your trip with all of us.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page
  Family Matters: Previous Topic Journey of a Lifetime Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page