Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 FINALLY done canning tomatoes!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic FINALLY done canning tomatoes!! Next Topic  

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  06:27:24 AM  Show Profile
I canned the last of my tomatoes that were ripening in the laundry/sewing room last night. I am so happy to have my floor space back!! Did 14 quarts last night and have enough left that I had already got all prepared and heated up to make a big pot of soup tonight. I think I will make grilled cheese sandwiches too..always a hit with the kids!!
I still have some apples to juice but besides that I am done canning what we grew this year!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  08:50:36 AM  Show Profile
YIPEE! I am done! I finished the last of the applesauce last night about
10 o' clock. I can take all the canners, kettles, jars and boxes back down stairs. Finally. I will clean the burn marks off the top of my stove, and put away the jar lifter. I am glad to be done, but I really do enjoy canning. And the shelves in the basement look so pretty full of jewel colored jars.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  09:45:28 AM  Show Profile
I picked 2 of the smallest (but cutest) little green bell peppers off my pepper plants. These are supposed to be good sized but my peppers are maybe 2 inches high! I won't be making any salsa. I guess I will set my bumper crop of two peppers next to my 2 little itty bitty pumpkins. If I posted a pic of this you all would laugh. It is pitiful! So glad you girls got your crops canned...I feel like Clara Edwards on The Andy Griffith Show...she was always jealous of Aunt Bea's canned items.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

lareyna
True Blue Farmgirl

242 Posts

Arlene
Valley Ford Ca
USA
242 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  12:32:59 PM  Show Profile
I'm so jealous of those of you who canned tomatoes, I didn't get any this year. I have finished all of my canning, but I froze all of my berries thinking I could do jam this winter when I have more time and now the beef is coming so I need the freezer room, guess the canner will have to stay out a while longer

http://bumpercrop.blogspot.com/
I was Country before Country was COOL
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  4:37:48 PM  Show Profile
I got all the canning stuff packed downstairs yesterday. This morning DH's pickup wouldn't start, so we were jumping it with mine, and as I am sitting in my pickup waiting for his to start, I see lots and lots of rose hips on a big climber in my garden, don't know why I hadn't noticed them before. Shall I get the steam juicer back upstairs, and find a few more apples to put with them and make rosehip and apple juice? Maybe tomorrow.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  05:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I still have to can all my tomatoes. They're still sitting in the freezer - but I am also out of jars so I gotta get those first! SO many projects, so little time...
Go to Top of Page

prairiemaid
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Margret

Canada
200 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  06:10:31 AM  Show Profile
Jenny, I know how you feel!! Now to enjoy the fruits of your labor...

Call me old fashioned.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic FINALLY done canning tomatoes!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page