Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Looking for Good bread machine recipe
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for Good bread machine recipe Next Topic  

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  2:46:31 PM  Show Profile
I am looking for a good bread machine recipe for thru the week when I don't have time to make bread by hand.

The recipes I have tried in the past turn out dry, hard and would work well as doorstops.

All but one, that one looked beautiful, but when I took it out the machine the middle sank in and it looked like a bowl instead of bread!! :0

Thanks to all my farmgirl friends, that can help me with this!!

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  6:53:29 PM  Show Profile
This is our bread recipe. It is for white bread and we use just plain white gold medal flour.

1-1/4 C water - put in microwave for 60 seconds to warm it
3 C flour
2 Tblsp sugar
2 Tblsp powder milk
2 Tblsp dried minced onion
1 tsp salt
2 tsp (or one pkg) yeast (we buy yeast in one lb. bulk pkgs. and
put some in a small jar and keep it in the refrigerator -
the rest goes in the freezer til we need to fill the jar again.)
2 Tblsp chopped up margarine.

Put all in breadmaker in that order. It turns out very well for us and tastes great when its toasted. When I take it out of the breadmaker I immediately put it in a plastic bag and twist tie the top of the bag, but I NEVER squeeze the air out of the bag when its warm, or it will seal and shrink up the bread like a canning jar seals up when hot stuff is put in it and sealed. There will be moisture on the inside of the bag after a while but I just pat the sides of the bag so the moisture goes back onto the bread and its then reabsorbed by the bread and it stays softer and moister. Later, when I use the bread, I open the bag and cut the bread as quickly as I can, then get the bag closed so as little air as possible touches the bread because it dries it. Sometimes the last part of the bread does get pretty hard but is still pretty useful as toast, and if it gets too hard, it can be dried in the oven and put into the blender for use as bread crumbs, or if it starts to mold, it goes out to the chickens who are always praying for moldy bread. Sometimes we get clunkers, too, so Good luck, hope it works for you.

"Every morning's a beautiful morning"
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  08:03:24 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Chris!! I am going to try this tonight!!
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  08:08:04 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
Bridgette, are you looking for white or wheat? I have a white one I use all the time.

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

Bridge
True Blue Farmgirl

814 Posts

Bridgette
Southern Indiana
USA
814 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  08:16:04 AM  Show Profile
White preferably, DH squishes his nose at wheat or other brown breads.....
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Looking for Good bread machine recipe Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page