Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 MJ's Outpost and Stitching Room Books
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic MJ's Outpost and Stitching Room Books Next Topic  

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  7:35:54 PM  Show Profile
Oh Boy, I just picked up both books today while I was in town. Borders Books was holding the only two they had. So having to wait tell I got home to read, I kinda peeked . Oh hurry up day so I can get home. So what better way to enjoy Mary Janes Outpost then out in my Outpost in the woods.

Brought up a big glass of ice tea and started reading and looking and reading more. What a great book and so very inspiring. I just got to get a claw foot iron bath tub to put in my outpost and I know just where one is. Over at Moms down in her woods, she doesn't bathe in the woods , but I think I might , well I might keep my knickers on , but soaking in a tub in the woods , just like old times.

Do any of you farmgirls have this book, if not oh you just gotta get one. It is lovely. All kinds of things that one can do out in the country or city. Even that outside bath too .

Recipes, beautiful pictures, more on the Sister's On the Fly, I'm in awe of that group of gals.

Mary Jane makes you feel at home when reading her Outpost Unleashing Your Inner Wild. Its wonderful.

Now as I was reading a big ol storm came up and I had to head to the house. I would have stayed in my Outpost popup but I was not sure it might leaked , this being the first rain. So I hi taled it back with both books , turned off the PC and read and drooled some more.

The Stitching Room is another WOW book to have and another one of those feelin like your visiting Mary Jane and she is taking you through the stitching room with many projects to do, great instructions and more beautiful pictures. Do any of you gals have this one?

I just love them both, so many inspiring women that MJ lets us meet through her writings.

Theres also a couple of other books I would like to get that MJ shares in her Outpost, one being "A Mile In Her Boots" by Jennifer Bov'e. about women who work in the wild.

Theres more reading to do tonight and just sit back and enjoy.

Oh I checked my Outpost and its dry as a bone after the big strom that came through. Reading some of these stories makes me want to go and camp out tonight instead of the weekend

Thank you Mary Jane. I plan to get your other books as well. And someday when you put a store here in Missouri (I hope), I'm bringing my books for you to sign : ).

tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead
http://www.homesteadblogger.com/walkabout/

Edited by - LindaEllen on Aug 28 2008 7:37:08 PM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  8:23:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh Linda...I sure agree. I LOVE all three of MaryJane's books..and Jen's book is a must-have too...I have them all and will keep them always. I re-read them all the time. What inspiration!!
I wish I had a place in the woods for a tub..I would do it for sure.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  8:42:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I agree! These books are amazing and a constant source of inspiration!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

aimeeravae
True Blue Farmgirl

341 Posts

Aimee
Deer River MN
USA
341 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  06:27:47 AM  Show Profile
I love to sit with them and just relax. I enjoy sitting on the porch and just looking.

Aimee

http://laplantewardklopf.blogspot.com/ Motto To Live By
"Life should NOT be a jouney to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, latte in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!"
Go to Top of Page

proudnanaof3
True Blue Farmgirl

54 Posts

Kim
Denton NC
USA
54 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  4:24:32 PM  Show Profile
I totally agree with all of you. These three books are wonderful. To me it is like stepping back in time with my grandma on her farm. I do not have any connection now with the farm life but these books are really inspiring me to make a small garden, do some canning, and get back to crafting that I had given up. I do not own these books but they are in the library were I work, so I can get them when I want. I love introducing patrons to MaryJane's Farm.

Farmgirl Sister #295

If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else. Booker T. Washington
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  10:56:34 PM  Show Profile
Linda .. i would love to see pics of your OUTPOST!!! xo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  06:02:03 AM  Show Profile
Good morn'in everyone. It's good to hear so many have MJ books. Can't wait to get the other cookbook and life one. I ordered Jens book yesterday at Borders.

I'll be camping out tonight at the Outpost, oh mornings are getting a bit chilli. I'm hoping I can stay out there when the snow flys. Talk about "unleashing your wild side" , lol

But first today I got to butcher out a couple of young rooster. Having 50 roosters , thats a whole lot of cock-a-doodle-doo's to hear in the mornings. Thats whats going on the firepit, grilled chicken and some other fixins.

Now tonight I'll have my Outpost books with me and maybe do some embroidery, I have not done that for awhile. I think I'll make an Outpost pillow for my tent w/ date.

KY Frannie, I want to adopt a "rag-chile', I think it would be cute to have one at my Outpost plus having something from a MJ's farmgirl up in my Outpost would be great. The grandkiddies would love it when they come to Camp Grandma's. Btw my pictures are on my blog and I have a couple on the Outpost forum here. Heres my link to blog if you want to see other pic's, thanks for asking , hugs

I love my outpost and Mary Janes's books have sparked somemore things to do outside. Going to work on an outdoor bathhouse today and tomorrow too. Might have to use a horse tank or washtub for now. Put up a clothes line to hang up my bloomers and aprons : ).

It will take some kind of hard work dragging up the iron tub by the creek at Mom's. We need to do some weeding and we have seen rattlers and copperheads down there. Thats where I stayed in a vintage trailer for about a year until it got really cold on my backside, burrrrr.

Mom said she won't be taking any baths down there soon, says b/c she's going to be 83 yrs , hummmm don't see that to be a good reason not to walk down a deep hillside,the kind you have to hang on trees going down, draw water from the creek, warm it up a bit and soak in a tub. Gosh Mom put out 150+ tomato plants this year, so why not , Oh well the tub will be good over here at the Outpost. This will be a fall project.

All have a fun and safe weekend
tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead

Edited by - LindaEllen on Aug 30 2008 06:05:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  04:15:50 AM  Show Profile
Got my lifebook on friday. Been enjoying it every chance i get. It is great, thanks MaryJane and everyone who was involved. It is funny, but I have found a table cloth, and a feed or flour sack, in you book, that I have here at home.

MIchele
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  10:59:36 AM  Show Profile
Michele, that happens to me to , I see something in a mag and sure enough I have it so close and once in awhile the same thing in my treasure stash, aka as junk to my dh .

I made a bath house in the outpost this weekend, check it out on my blog, can't wait tell I bring the big iron tub to the camp.

tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

dkelewae
True Blue Farmgirl

1310 Posts

Diana
Saint Peters MO
USA
1310 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  12:01:37 PM  Show Profile
LindaEllen...I wanna live at your place! I just love your outpost pics on your blog :)

Diana
Farmgirl Sister #272
St. Peters MO
Country Girl trapped in the city!
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  9:27:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you Diana, you know I have been thinking and that sometimes leads to much to do. But having an outpost with more vintage trailers or tents like the one on Mary Janes Outpost, I love that one. Set them all up and invite my Farmgirl friends and have a weekend or week long get together. Could start out with tents and build up, lol.

I'm sure this has been/ being done around the states with other MJ's Farmgirls. But not sure in Missouri or close by, I'm still reading posts : ).

A good ol roundup of Farmgirls would be fun anywhere

tc linda

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

157 Posts

Linda
MA
USA
157 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2008 :  6:37:07 PM  Show Profile
Linda Ellen ----- Wow ! What a wonderful blog.

You have a unique talent with words, photography and creative touch in all you do.

The outpost, bathhouse and chuck wagon are perfect additions.
What a great idea --- your very own chuck wagon. Adorable.

Seeing your photos on the blog brought back many happy memories of family, camping over a fire and living rural.

Especially the number of tomato plant you put out this year !

Good luck with the claw foot tub. So worth the effort to get it going for your outpost.

Aunt Clemys Farm Girl
Farm Girl #300

Kansas to Massachusetts
Go to Top of Page

LindaEllen
True Blue Farmgirl

275 Posts

Linda
Missouri
USA
275 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2008 :  05:17:20 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Aunt Clemys Farm Girl, thos are mighty nice words about my bloggin. You know I have fun talkin about the simple things I do on my blogs. World can get upside down fast for us and its sure nice to get away from it all once in awhile. Oh the real sad stuff is out there and we do what we can to help. Prayers for sure.

Thanks for the visit and come again. You got to excuse the grammar and mispelled words tho. I look at my blogs after I post and say oh my goodness and I wanted to be a teacher growing up.

take good care
linda

Locust Trail Homestead
Go to Top of Page

KatyDo
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Kaye
Uintah UT
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  7:16:34 PM  Show Profile
LindaEllen,
I loved your blog, especialy loved your outpost-lucky you to have that much room and that much spirit and umph to do all that work.
I have tried to find the page where we talked about knitting dish cloths but couldn't so I'm telling you here---I did it, I did it- I looked on the websites your listed, found a pattern and I am now on my 4th cloth. Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me out. You rock!
KatyDo

Follow Your Bliss
Go to Top of Page

berryhill
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Linda
Troy TN
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2008 :  11:38:58 PM  Show Profile
LindaEllen,
Loved your blog and photos...Fun outpost! I am inspired.
Linda
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Nov 10 2008 :  12:13:03 PM  Show Profile
The ideas are simple and easy, what else can one do for almost free?
That is what I like about MJS books....

Farmgirl Sister #368
http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

marcy jo
True Blue Farmgirl

453 Posts

Marcy
Wawaka Indiana
USA
453 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2008 :  4:18:47 PM  Show Profile  Send marcy jo a Yahoo! Message
LindaEllen, I love your outpost!! I cant wait to make mine but it will be awhile!! Your pictures were so inspiring! Just like everything in MJ's books!!

Marcy #257

When I stand before God at the end of my life I hope that I would not have a bit of talent left and could say “I used everything You gave me”.(erma bombeck)
Go to Top of Page

lorijarrett
True Blue Farmgirl

112 Posts

Lori
Norfolk NY
USA
112 Posts

Posted - Nov 13 2008 :  07:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Send lorijarrett a Yahoo! Message
My goals are to have a smaller version of the Wall Tent in my backyard overlooking the neighbors apple orchard. We live in town but have about an acre for a yard. I am even looking for outhouse plans to make my first construction project. I am hoping to learn from this then put a bigger wall tent up on a small piece of land we have that overlooks a meadow. I am a beginner and have used several tools before but to actually construct a building is another thing. Plus it will give me time to gather materials to do it. What a way to relax! I am just anxious to start something but winter is on the way. LOL My DH and I are already planning the garden! LOL

Farmgirl at Heart
Go to Top of Page

abbysshadow
True Blue Farmgirl

224 Posts

Sherry
Dayton Nevada
USA
224 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2008 :  7:42:46 PM  Show Profile
oh my gosh...i've been lost for the longest time in lindaellen's blog! It was wonderful! thank you for sharing with all of us :)

...I cannot do all the good that the world needs, but the world needs all the good that I can do...
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Nov 30 2008 :  2:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
I've read the Stitchin' book, checked it out from the library, but I haven't had a chance to read the Outpost book yet.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Badgebadger
MJ's Heirloom Mavens Bookclub Coordinator
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

Thistle Cove Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

141 Posts

Sandra
Tazewell VA
USA
141 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2009 :  6:33:23 PM  Show Profile
I've been, rather impatiently, waiting for mine to arrive only to find out it arrived several days ago. Dave brought the mail in but neglected to tell me he'd put it in a different spot! I'm headed to bed with the April/May 09 magazine issue AND the Stitching Room book...it's a Very Good Evening! I already had Mary Jane's first two books and have enjoyed them enormously.
LindaEllen, your mom sounds like a real character; she and my MIL would have gotten along well. -smile-

Thistle Cove Farm ~ God's blessings on you, yours and the work of your hands & heart ~
www.thistlecovefarm.com
www.thistlecovefarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic MJ's Outpost and Stitching Room Books Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page