Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Books
 Book Ideas
 recycling art projects for the new book?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Book Ideas: Previous Topic recycling art projects for the new book? Next Topic  

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2009 :  8:00:16 PM  Show Profile
As for new ideas for new books from Mary Jane : I would love to see included some kids crafts, especially those that involved recycled materials. We have made some great projects in our years as homeschoolers and we have not had to use store bought products for most of them. Some are so cute and kitschy I have had to keep them!

I love the magazine by the way and look forward to each and every issue!

rachael

Heaven is
The place where Happiness is
Everywhere.

Langston Hughes

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  7:53:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Rachael!

Those arts and crafts sound great, and having a toddler I am always on the look for fun projects to do now or in the future. Could you list some and instructions? I would greatly appreciate it!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our blog: www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  10:24:49 PM  Show Profile
I would love to post some ideas! I no longer have a toddler to do these projects with (boo hoo). My little cowboys are teenagers now!
Here are a few :
1. Garage in a milk jug : IF you have the plastic jug type of milk, you just cut a hole in the front and then decorate, making it a little garage for hotwheels, complete with a pump (cut out and glue on the outside), a little lift inside for the cars (this could be part of a toilet paper roll and a piece of cardboard), a sign (cardboard with "Riley's garage" on it, using your child's name of course). This is a lot of fun and gets used again and again by hotwheel collectors.
2. Halloween village : Using cardboard pieces and construction paper (or scrap papers), cut squares (vary the sizes), let dry, and then cut black squares and glue on for windows. You can make white ghosts to tape onto these windows. We had great fun with these and even did an Easter version. When they are done and dry, you then tape a triangle on the back so it can stand up. We put these up in the windows by our front door and were a big hit (especially when we used batting from an old pillow to make spiderwebs at the foot of the little buildings).
3. After reading books about Lincoln, my kids wanted to make log cabins and a "Lincoln House", so we used paper grocery bags, cut them into strips and rolled them up to make logs. Then we stacked them, taped them on one side and made four walss. We used currogated cardboard for a roof and a toilet paper roll for a chimney. It was fun to see them make trees out of real tree pieces and put them in playdough to make them standup.

I hope that helps! I can post more when I have a minute. Toddlers especially like to see the results of their art, and all of these things can become toys when you are done making them.

Hope that helps! You didn't say how old your toddler is, but if these are too old let me know and I will post some more that are more age appropriate.

Happy Trails!
Rachael

Heaven is
Everywhere.

Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  10:27:52 PM  Show Profile
One more note : My kids just remembered that the garage had a tunnel! We taped a bunch of cardboard tubes together and they would put the top of the tube on the top of the bunk bed and then put a hot wheel in it, making it race down into the garage. Apparently this left lasting memories!

rachael

Heaven is
Everywhere.

Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  10:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Those are great ideas, Rachael! My Nora turned 2 today! So she is still a bit young for those, but she is getting there. She loves Hot Wheels and trains. She also loves her toy horses and makes them gallop all over the place. We used her MegaBlocks to build a corral for her tiny stuffed horse. It was so cute!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  11:20:22 PM  Show Profile
Two! What a sweetie! At that age, there are the old standards, like rolling pinecones in peanut butter and birdseed and then hanging it outside of the window-- or painting with shaving cream in the bathtub (always funny to have a toddler smelling like your husband!)

Some of the other things we did :
PAINTING : My kids loved to paint so I tried to introduce textures-- we painted on sandpaper, leaves, scrap muslin, wax paper, aluminum foil, all sorts of stuff. (We did most of this in the high chair to contain the mess LOL) If you are brave, glitter is always a popular add on to painting. You can make your own with salt (add 5 drops of food coloring to about 1/2 cup of regular salt, stir well, and microwave it for 2 minutes. Dry on wax paper).

COLLECTIONS : If you have leftover egg cartons, these are great sorters for all of the finds you have on your walks. We made one for rocks, one for leaves, one for "other". Much cooler than the expensive sorting toys!

BOWLING/GOLF : We also made bowling pins out of two liter bottles and then used a regular ball or beanbag to knock them down! When she gets older, you can add numbers to the pins so she can learn to count and then later to add the ones she knocks down. If you have one of those child size golf club sets, you can cut holes in the two liters, decorate with numbers, and then set in the grass (you cut off the bottom so they stick in the grass better).

HOPPING : We used to teach concepts by hopping. If you are teaching colors for example, you can put blue, red, green, and yellow squares on the floor and then say "Hope to the yellow!" They think it is great fun and catch on quickly if you do it first. My friend did this but was teaching family members' names, so she blew up photos of grandma, papaw, etc and they jumped from one to another.

I hope that helps and is age appropriate. They are all so different at that age, it is hard to know what each will like, but that is what my boys liked and hopefully your little cowgirl will like it too!

rachael

Heaven is
Everywhere.

Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

cowgirlandboys
True Blue Farmgirl

308 Posts

Rachael
Missouri
USA
308 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2009 :  11:22:17 PM  Show Profile
Happy Birthday to Nora by the way!
rachael

Heaven is
Everywhere.

Langston Hughes
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2009 :  06:30:19 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Those are great ideas, Rachael! Thanks! Since it has been winter we haven't gotten to go on lots of walks, but now that the weather is SOOO nice, I am really looking forward to long walks. She just got some fun garden and sand toys for her birthday, and she loves carrying things around, so I am thinking maybe she can use one of the buckets as a collecting bucket. Then when we get home we can glue bits to cardboard or construction paper that she has painted to make little collages. She loves being outside and she loves Art!

It is so neat to see a toddler get ingrossed in something and just want to stay doing that for long periods of time. I have seen her concentrate on one activity for up to 20 minutes if she is really interested.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic recycling art projects for the new book? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page