lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Jan 12 2009 :  5:33:24 PM  Show Profile
I just saw that it is the plan to publish workbooks for each of the chapters in the Ideabook. That's exaclty what I was wanting, how could I have missed that before!?!

Thank You MarY Jane!

*Lara* Farmgirl Sister #327

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  6:36:33 PM  Show Profile
Where did you see that...exciting!

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226

www.farmgirlsam.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

K-Falls Farmgirl
Chapter Leader

2096 Posts

Cheryl
Klamath Falls Oregon
USA
2096 Posts

Posted - Jan 16 2009 :  6:38:18 PM  Show Profile
yeah where? I think it is a great idea...

http://www.k-fallsfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
Come visit the barn at http://barndoorcreations.blogspot.com/
Cheryl
Farmgirl #309
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change your attitude." Maya Angelou
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 17 2009 :  7:59:40 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Lara,
I think that MaryJane Views the individual topic books as the work books. IN the ideabook she gives an overview of the stitching room, the outpost etc. and then the book titled stitching room, and outpost as a work book or a topical book. Hope that help clears that up a little/

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Dawniamw
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Dawnia
Mapleton Depot PA
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  4:44:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Dawniamw a Yahoo! Message
Hello Everyone,
Hello Mary Jane and Friends,

Having purchased your Ideabook, Cookbook,Lifebook,and your back issues bundle, and reading the posts of other like minded individuals on your site, I am in utter awe and greatly inspired by what all of you have created. With regards to making separate books from each of the chapters in your book, I give a big YEAH!! and will wait for each copy. My kids think I'm daft at times for wanting to use organic over store bought and vinegar and lemon juice to clean with, but I don't hear them coughing or getting sick anymore and the house doesn't stink of chemicals, so for all of you out there, I thank you, and hope you don't mind me continuing to learn from you. Your friend in pennsylvania, Dawnia
Go to Top of Page

ruralfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

4309 Posts

Rene'
Prosser WA
USA
4309 Posts

Posted - Jan 31 2009 :  8:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Send ruralfarmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Dawnia,
Welcome, so great to have you here.

Rene~Prosser Farmgirl #185
http://farmchicksfarm.blogspot.com/

Circumstances made us FRIENDS; MaryJane's has made us SISTERS :)
Go to Top of Page

Julia
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Julia
Shelton WA
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2009 :  6:26:02 PM  Show Profile
Hi Dawnia, Your name is beautiful. Glad to have you on board!

For tomorrow and its needs I do not pray, but keep me, guide me, love me, Lord just for today.
St. Augustine

Go to Top of Page

mndreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

191 Posts

Vicky
Popple Creek MN
USA
191 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2009 :  10:43:42 AM  Show Profile
I guess I was under the same impression when I read the BOOK IDEAS description, that they might be developing workbooks. I guess we will all just have to wait and see. Either MJ's books are
great and very inspiring.

~Vicky~

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
--- Laura Ingalls Wilder

Go to Top of Page

lara916
True Blue Farmgirl

170 Posts

Lara
Washington State
USA
170 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2009 :  09:12:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mndreamer

I guess I was under the same impression when I read the BOOK IDEAS description, that they might be developing workbooks. I guess we will all just have to wait and see. Either MJ's books are
great and very inspiring.

~Vicky~

It is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all.
--- Laura Ingalls Wilder

I agree either way the books will be beautiful!

Lara #327

"Boots" Becker Homestead Farmgirls
Go to Top of Page

5 acre Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1007 Posts

~~~*Terri*~~~
WA.
USA
1007 Posts

Posted - Feb 07 2009 :  10:28:21 PM  Show Profile
YES! I want to know when they come out!!!!!
Welcome Dawnia....

Farmgirl Sister #368

BRAND NEW PAGE>>>>>
PLEASE go to....
http://blogonthefarmandgarden.blogspot.com

http://froccsfrillsfurbiloesandmore.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

antoinette
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Toni
East Freedom PA
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2009 :  8:02:16 PM  Show Profile
Keep me posted also on when or if the workbook comes out. Welcome also Dawnia I live down
the hill from you. I am also new to the forum and I love it. Toni
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2009 :  05:28:01 AM  Show Profile
Hey gals....I actually went through the Idea book and highlighted "action items" and then went back and made a plan to accomplish them based on time/funds available. So, in other words, I sort of made my own workbook. I have a notebook that I made and then I joined the sisterhood and put the badge requirements in there too. I can't say I've accomplished a lot yet but the plan/workbook is in place! Just a thought!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Feb 22 2009 :  2:48:10 PM  Show Profile
Mary Jane,
I think work books would be great or isn't that what the magazine is for?? I have been getting inspired by you since a friend of yours a Nancy Smith from down here in Gualala,Annapolis, Calif. handed me your first magazine in 2002? I then bought your lifestyle book and have now subscribed to your magazine and just am pouring thru your new Outpost book.I'm starting constuction on an outdoor camp and was hoping you'd have lot's of inspiring pictures of outdoor bed structures.I'm so far basing it on a picture I saw in your magazine page 20 issue vol.7 issue6.A wooden three sided structure w/a window in the back just large enough for a double bed.I would love to see an article or workbook about design ideas.
We live on the North coast of Calif. and the problem w/ sleeping outside(which my husband did every night last summer on our back deck,but was so soaked every morning)is the dampness,dew at night.Plus the sun fading out all the colored linens in the open bed areas.Is that why I see white on your beds?
We're currently taking down some redwoods to mill the siding,decks and bed bases.We're off the grid here on forty acres,grow most all our veggies.Now working on secondary fencing for livestock and pasture.Trying to be as self-reliant as possible.Right now cooked bean stew on wood stove and starting bread (loved your sourdough article)since it's warm and cosy in here, finally raining outside.
Katie
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  05:43:35 AM  Show Profile
Katie Welcome!!!! Would love to hear more about your life "off the grid"...where do you start? Are there books on that? Congratualtions....another one of my goals/dreams! You go girlfriend! You could probably write your own book and I would buy it!!!

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  12:44:17 PM  Show Profile
Hi,
Solar's come along way last twenty years.We live with 8 photovoltaic panels,12 batteries.Propane stove,instant hot water heater,frig,and freezer.Whenever it's a sunny or partially sunny day we're fine.The real short days are bad,need to run the generator for a few hours.But we aren't living totally low energy use either.This computer has too big of a screen so's a TV that my husband and one of my kids are adicted too.PLus a luxury I did'nt think we could have at first a roaming phone.The dryer even though propane uses too big of a draw to start and trips our tiny generator.We're working on getting a bigger diesel generator then we'll be really spoiled.My kids now are very aware as are all of us every minute how much energy we're using.
We bought our property three years ago,bare land (50% scrub brush,50% trees) and while pregnant and still working my husband and I built a house,barn,fenced a large garden,outbuildings,corrals, roads, water systems,septic etc.I had this baby,third, at 46,my husband's now 59.We get tired but we love it.Not about to stop.We had a great builders help,I was the contractor and also the boss of my husband and my landscape and excavation business.We used mostly wood generated by milling trees off our land.This saved us alot.Working while building worked well we paid as we went and are working towards becoming debt free.
We're talking about a water wheel for our creek which would generate excess winter energy.So we could then switch to electric frig. and freezer and not have to be dependant on generator at all.These things are not all simple and really benefit from a tinkerer type mentality that want's to learn all about everything.One of our problems is that my husband a Vietnam vet doesn't want to do that,and It's not my favorite area either plus I already take on alot of other issues,kids ,garden,animals,work,billing and running our business.I rely now on other contractors to help us.It's best to find one that really knows off grid systems,they are really different to grid tied systems.Although I think grid tied systems could be rethought.They immensely benefit Power companies and noy as much the homeowner that installs and pays for them.
The ammount of energy created by these panels when the sun is on them is really big and if your inverters can handle it ( I think this is how it works) you can really use alot of things when the sun is on the panels.Power tools,compressors,kitchen gadgets,etc.This is what surprised me.The large grid tied systems are based on the worse days output not on what really happens when the sun is out and on panels.The batteries can't use all this energy they take it in slowly.
I'm much better at ornamental landscaping questions.Although I'm finally after thirty years gardening professionally,really enjoying growing our own food and also quite a few of our neighbors enjoy it too.
Still working,Katie
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  1:38:25 PM  Show Profile
WOW Katie....you are one strong, hardworking, intelligent woman! You could lead a legion of farmgirls! I am 60 now and although I still consider myself strong and hardworking...if truth be told; I have slowed down a lot and I don't like it one bit! Take care of yourself....I was just like you until I got sick with 2 chronic diseases so please don't over do! It sounds like a wonderful life and a wonderful place and certainly you are a role model to the rest of us!
thank you for taking the time to share with us. If I ever get to the point where I can afford some "cells" I may email you for more advice! I did my roof last year but and wanted the roofing with the cells "built-in" but I couldn't afford it....way too high for me who's retired. The roof itself was bad enough! But I do beleive in saving and creating our own energy without damaging the planet at the same time. It's nice to know there are people out there "walking the talk"! Thanks again, and I hope we continue to see you on this chat board...you certainly have a lot to offer all of us and hopefully we can return the favor!
Glad you're here.....

Farmgirl Sister #226

Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Feb 23 2009 :  5:59:11 PM  Show Profile
That is what I was just saying to my dh the other day solar panels are the way to go with the high cost of living. Initially I think you have to come up with a lot but it would pay off. Not to mention how much better it would be during power outages.
Good for you's Katie and think the water wheel would be cool actually I was eyeing one at a historic site. Show us some pics
Go to Top of Page

glendagoldenbp
True Blue Farmgirl

196 Posts

glenda
cleburne tx
USA
196 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2009 :  12:36:51 PM  Show Profile
I am inspired by all of you and hope to some day have all that energy. Maybe organic cooking will help me with that.

Sunrises are wonderous things, nobody should ever miss one.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Kay
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Tina Kay
Deary ID
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  10:03:11 PM  Show Profile
I would totally use the workbooks. I have enjoyed the ideabook. I am learning to crochet and I have been working towards making the doileys.(sp?)

Tina Kay

Now I get me up to work, I pray the Lord I may not shirk. If I should die before tonight, I pray the Lord my work's all right. Anon.
Go to Top of Page

KD Earthwork
True Blue Farmgirl

210 Posts

Katie
Gualala Calif.
USA
210 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2009 :  11:02:10 PM  Show Profile
You're definately right Sister. I really wear myself out. I love hearing about Mary Jane doing her walks and dances and hikes,sleeping outside.Also juggling her huge life of all the other's.How do we find balance?What do we eliminate?HOw many balls in the air are too many?
I'm sure sorry you've been ill. I hope you find what you need to get back in good health.Or maybe you are now to be a role model in how to slow down?
Katie
Go to Top of Page
  Book Ideas: Previous Topic Yay! Workbooks-- Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page