Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Across the Fence
 how nice are your neighbours?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic how nice are your neighbours? Next Topic
Page: of 2

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  1:04:05 PM  Show Profile
How nice are your neighbours? I can't believe how nice mine have been. The day I brought home baby Oliver, someone brought over muffins and bread. I have a wee nap with Oliver and when I woke up, there was an apple pie on the table (we never lock our door)
today someone brought us chili and blueberry loaf...both were still warm!!
I love living here!

"learn to watch snails" SARK

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  1:24:36 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
I can't imagine someone being that way to me here. :( You are blessed!

~~~~
"The Higher the Hair, The Closer to Jesus!" - Paula Deen

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  2:44:56 PM  Show Profile
That is so sweet. I am very lucky to have wonderful neighbors too. My closest neighbor to the East has a wonderful garden...huge and just the best...she is forever leaving veggies on the back porch for me..things she knows I didn't grow (I am limited since I have the cow taking most of my space I have a smallish garden) she never says a word..just leaves things.
When my dad died a few years back we went out to Calif in a hurry and my neighbors mowed the yard and planted a bunch of flowers (it was spring) and there were cinnamon rolls on the table when we got back. Isn't it nice?

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Montrose Girl
Farmgirl Legend/Schoolmarm

1360 Posts

Laurie
Montrose CO
1360 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  3:13:06 PM  Show Profile
I've lived in my house for just over a year, or better yeat, I've owned it that long. I'm on the road al the time with work, but have meet most of my neighbor during hte breaks. They are really wonderful. One says he has tools if I need, the other is sharing from her garden since I didn't get one in, another helped me pick up the fruit trees I bought (he had a small pick up, I didn't), Another left a jar of dilly beans in the door way ( I had shared some with her when I helped them move down the street. It's a great subdivision.

Best Growing
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  3:31:29 PM  Show Profile
We have an older couple just next door . . . we look out for each other all the time . . . and she shares her garden with me and I bake cookies for her husband . . .

Melanie - that is so wonderful that your neighbors are treating you to such good food! Such a wonderful feeling, isn't it?

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  3:40:14 PM  Show Profile
My neighbor still has a manger scene up. They are all nice. Two houses away, there lives a hippie guy who makes crazy figures out of what I think is driftwood. Not quite sure where he got driftwood in North Idaho. They are the reason we got this house for so cheap...Whatever, I can't see them from my house :)

Trish
Farmgirl Sister #91
Make cupcakes not war!
FREE TIBET!
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  3:55:42 PM  Show Profile
we don't really have neighbors that we can see .. but there are three other families 'in the woods' here .. and they are all WONDERFUL! xoxo

True Friends * KENTUCKY FRANNIE

adopt a 'rag-chile'
http://sistermercysfoundlinhome.blogspot.com

treasures .. new and olde .. http://mudpiemanormercantile.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  5:43:55 PM  Show Profile
My neighbor is such a sweet 90 year "young" lady!!! We take her fresh eggs all the time and honey. Her daughters take turns staying with her and they all are very sweet people.

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"

http://drycreekfarms.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  6:26:56 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I live in an apartment right now and my right next door neighbors took me out to dinner tonight for my birthday. It was so sweet. No one has been that nice to me in a long time. Charlie had a lovely time chatting with the man of the house and I got to relax. I have only known them since May.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  6:41:09 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
Oh my, where have I been??? Didnt know the baby was there!

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

My new blog!
http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  6:47:52 PM  Show Profile
My neighbors are great, too. Their both retired. The man is a doctor. Great folks.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  08:01:03 AM  Show Profile
I am so thrilled to hear there are people out there that still neighbor! I was thinking that was a lost blessing...it seems that nowadays everyone wants paid for their "kindnesses"...we used to have neighbors in the truest sense of the word but that was years ago...where we live now we don't even know our neighbor's names...we attempted to be friendly and were rebuffed...
Go to Top of Page

elphie0503
True Blue Farmgirl

500 Posts

Samantha
Gilmer Texas
USA
500 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  08:20:39 AM  Show Profile  Send elphie0503 an AOL message
I live right next door to my in-laws...nuff said.

Samantha

www.elphie0503.blogspot.com

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort~~Albright

Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  09:18:16 AM  Show Profile
We lived in the same house for almost 30 years in town and had mostly good neighbors. Our nearest neighbors though were never very friendly until the last six months before we moved. Then they started telling us how much they would miss us. Two years ago we moved a couple of miles out of town and now live on 7 acres surrounded by other people who live on about 5 acres each. In May, the neighbor across the creek from us called to invite us to a 'Block Party' at somebody's new shop across the road. We all had such a great time we're doing it at least once a year---or more---and rotating houses so everybody gets to host.

Patricia--We had neighbors like that on the other side of us in town. The couple right next door were wonderful people and would do anything for you but....he would do things like prune all of the shrubs around the yard with his skillsaw, all to the same height...about 3 feet. Once he cut the top off of a station wagon they had with a hacksaw blade...yes, only the blade...and then sold it to the neighbor up the street as a 'good wood-hauler.' We used to see him coming in from the mountains with that thing loaded with wood so full it was dragging the ground on every bump. Sandy(wife to the guy with the hacksaw blade) was blind and their kids used to hide from her by climbing up on the roof of the porch and not answering her when she'd call them to come in.

I have a million stories about the people that lived in the two houses next to us in town. They are proof that truth IS stranger than fiction.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

marjean
True Blue Farmgirl

3851 Posts

Marsha
Deltona FL
USA
3851 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  10:16:26 AM  Show Profile
I've lived in Deltona for 17 1/2 years and seen neighbors come and go. Most are only wavers and have so many problems they keep to themselves. On our left is the nicest man with agent orange and his wife is very rude. On the right is a recovering drug addict and her retired husband. Now their son and wife and toddler live there and we only hear fighting most of the time, very sad.
So my closest neighbors are my family and in my congregation.
They call where we live "little Miami" because of the drugs and gangs. Nice huh? It was much nicer when I lived in the country as a kid. I miss it.

Marjean

Farmgirl sister #308
handmade cards and jewelry at jeanpatchbymk.etsy.com
jeanpatch.wordpress.com
http://www.diyminishoppes.com/shoppes/jeanpatchbymk/index.html
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  11:07:56 AM  Show Profile
I live in the country, so we don't really have any CLOSE neighbors, though we CAN see their houses from my windows. I can only hear what's going on if I'm out in the field checking fences, rounding up wayward critters etc... It's nice not knowing what everyone's having for dinner or what's going on in their private lives.

But, I do have to say that we have rarely had problems with any of them. On one side of us the people come and go, on the other, lived an elderly man who died about 2 years ago and now we have a nice Mennonite family living there. They're pretty quite people and keep to themselves, though they are NOT unfriendly.

For the most part, the people around here are good, honest, hardworking farmers and dairy farmers-- and FAMILY!! My husband is related to just about HALF the county in some way! But we don't have too many issues with even THEM. I wouldn't trade living here for anything in the world. I just LOVE IT!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  12:47:06 PM  Show Profile
I am truly blessed in a lot of ways....
regarding the neighbours...I don't really have anyone near me as we have 100 acres an water/ocean is on two sides of it (we go to a cove) these neighbours that have been doing this live a 10 or so minute drive. It is so nice to have them.
Patricia.... i think that hippie guy is my dad LOL!!!

Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  1:45:41 PM  Show Profile
our neighbors are nice unfortunatly we don't do things together.

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  3:13:50 PM  Show Profile
We've been in our house for about 11 years and within a few months we knew all the names of the immediate neighbors around us. One neighbor and his son take care of the kitties when we are on vacation. Another shares plants and veggies with us. Another that has the hedge between our lot and his, trims the hedge on both sides and cleans up. We have an older couple across the street that we help out with things once in a while.

It is nice to have good neighbors who look out for each other, makes it a nicer place to live.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  3:52:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melanie- Your neighbors are being great!

We have some really nice neighbors. One of them helped us move in, and another watches Nora for me whenever I need her to.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  07:20:46 AM  Show Profile
it is so helpful and a great feeling too!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  10:07:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Melanie- We need more updates on little Oliver!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Past Blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

1083 Posts

Brenda
Orchard Prairie WA
USA
1083 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  10:50:53 AM  Show Profile
Sadly, the neighborhood we live in is not very social. Most are double income families that are too hurried and too uptight to want to be friendly. I so wish it were different. Ron and I have talked about putting on a neighborhood BBQ to try to change this.

We are getting new next door neighbors. They will not be moved in for a few more weeks. They are re-doing the house to make it accessable for thier handicapped son.

I have determined that we WILL neighbor with these people, whether they like it or not! LOL! We had really prayed for good neighbors and it was a rather selfish prayer, I realize in hind sight . . . hoping for someone that would love and spoil us (such as bringing muffins and pies! LOL!) and someone that would love our kids, etc.

But, after meeting the new neighbors, I have realized they NEED us, not the other way around. So I am looking forward to being able to reach out to them. They are a 60'something year old couple. Their son was a military vet and is now a quadrapalegic (not sure if it happened in Iraq or what the story is . . .) Their daughter is also deceased (again, I don't know the details) and they are raising their two tiny grand children that she left behind. So it is so sad . . . they care for their son and raise their orphaned grand children. I just pray I can be a blessing to them as time goes on. I can't imagine the heart ache they have been through.

Hugs & blessings,

Brenda

Past Blessings . . . Celebrating Life as it used to be . . . when people loved God, loved their families and loved their country.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  10:55:57 AM  Show Profile
Brenda,
I can not even imagain you not being anything but the most wonderful neighborett....
I still keep my fingers crossed that you'll re-consider & buy the Alpaca ranch down the road!(wink wink)
Anyways, if could I pick my neighbors, guess who! After all, there is always room for 2 Lucy's in the "hood"!
>^..^<

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
mjf#72
Sisters on the Fly#472
www.katmom4.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  11:45:42 AM  Show Profile
We live in a neighborhood that's one of the oldest in our community. Our house was built in 1898! We know all our neighbors up and down the street. But, we are really close to the neighbors on either side of us. The neighbors to our left-we call it the Easter egg house (it's yellow with purple-lilac shutters and a purple-lilac picket fence all around the property)-are great. Linda (our neighbor) was raised by her grandparents in a hollar in West Virginia.
Randi and Chris-they live to our right-are the best! He's an auto mechanic by trade and has helped us with all our cars over the last 10 years. We even bought my boat of a car-a Buick Century from him-fully loaded and in great shape for $1600.00 dollars. HIs wife works for a landscaper and she can get us the most beautiful plants for wholesale! We all do things together-holiday parties, cook-outs, we even go out places together.
I can't imagine life without having good people to share it with and I know we are blessed!
Here's hoping that all my farmgirl sisters can be so blessed!

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  1:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Brenda
I am sure that your new neighbours will feel that they are blessed to have you as a neighbour!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic how nice are your neighbours? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page