Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  2:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
LOL! Don't feel bad, my husband is scared of them too! You always choke just a bit when you're learning. If you keep trying, soon it'll be as easy as brushing your teeth!
Judes
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  3:52:05 PM  Show Profile
WOW, now I'm into all kinds of salt thanks to you gals! I saw that Walmart sells sea salt, pretty cheap too. Sqrl, been to France, lucky girl! Not too sure about red or black salt, think I'll start with grey! LOL

" Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it dont' matter"

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Nov 05 2005 :  3:58:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Susan for the nutmeg link!!
Go to Top of Page

FarrarFarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

330 Posts

Lynda
Frohna Missouri
USA
330 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  08:58:56 AM  Show Profile
I'm curious about the neti pots. Where do you get them? I have the seasonal allergy issues and this sounds like the kind of cure I prefer. I hate taking medicines.

Now back to the salt subject. I have been gradually switching over to sea salt. My daughter who watches the food channel alot and my son who is a chef, both highly recommend it. My daughter gave me the comparison test between the two and WOW what a difference. The iodized salt has such a metally taste. For all these years that I never knew there was an alternative, this was an amazing discovery. And now you all are telling me there are more? I learn something new everyday. I just thought salt was salt, how different can it taste? It can - if you are still using the boxed salt give it a try and be amazed. I now prefer the sea salt to the table salt. Thanks for opening my eyes to new things in the kitchen.

Blessings on your day,
Lynda

Pray in faith and you will not live in doubt.
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  08:21:44 AM  Show Profile
I read a New York Times column about this a few years ago. If you prefer the taste or texture of sea salt, fine. Many people prefer Kosher salt because it lends itself to pinching and sprinkling by hand better. I'm a plain salt girl. Every year at Passover I buy canister of plain, uniodized salt, and it lasts me about a year until the next year.

The New York Times column said that all salt comes from salt mines that originally were sea beds. The refining of salt, like the refining of sugar, doesn't involve bleaching as flour does. In other words, buying plain, uniodized table salt, you're getting pure NaCl. Sea salt has other trace elements in it. Some people believe these elements are good for you, but the overwhelming evidence is that they occur in such a small proportion that they don't have much impact.

The fact is, some people may claim that certain salts have a better flavor, but any claims that sea salt will help you lose huge amounts of weight are undoubtedly spurious.
Go to Top of Page

Lauram
True Blue Farmgirl

74 Posts

Laura
Moneta VA
USA
74 Posts

Posted - Nov 08 2005 :  5:27:50 PM  Show Profile
I compared the sodium content and regular table salt has 30 percent more sodium than sea salt, so I've been using fine sea salt. It's so fine though it gets stuck in the holes of my shaker, so I have it in a salt bin and use it for cooking. I used to use kosher, which I still use when making stock.
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  11:16:01 AM  Show Profile
I'm learning so much about salt, I love it!!! Thanks to all!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Lavender Cottage
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Ellen

USA
273 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  11:55:45 AM  Show Profile
I have been wanting to switch to sea salt. This is all more motivation to do it. I also want to share a mail order sorce for spices. They have sea salt and also great recipes. It is PENZEYS SPICES from Brookfield, Wisconsin at www.penzeys.com. I have been very pleased with the spices I've gotten from them.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  2:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Here's my source for wonderful spices and herbs: www.thespicehouse.com. Knowledgeable staff, good people, very very fresh stock, and retail shops in Evanston, IL, Chicago, and Milwaukee. I bought some ginger buds and some cocoa buds last time I was in the Evanston shop -- made pumpkin muffins and added the ginger buds in -- oh,yum! Good salts there, too, and blends.

Edited by - katie-ell on Nov 09 2005 2:24:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  3:52:16 PM  Show Profile
You ladies know that Penzey's and The Spice House are the same family, right? The Spice House is owned by the Penzeys' daughter.

I agree that their stuff is amazing, and cheap too.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 09 2005 :  4:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I knew there was a connection! One of my favorite places to visit, especially before the holidays. Smells galore!
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  12:49:47 PM  Show Profile
Nice website Katie-ell, sure wish there was one near me so I can smell galore too!

Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2005 :  12:51:25 PM  Show Profile
I was just reading in the Dec. issue of Better Homes and Gardens, about a lavender salt that was adveritse, has anyone tried that one? I LOVE anything lavender, but not sure about salt?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sea salt ?? Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page