junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  4:32:20 PM  Show Profile
I'm reading a book on natural cures, and in it the author states by changing your table salt to sea salt one can lose 10 lbs. in 30 days? Now, I don't believe that, but am wondering just how better for you is sea salt? Is anyone here using it in place of table salt, which the author says is toxic? I'm not much a salt person anyway, but if it is better for you, I'll switch!

" Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it dont' matter"

www.countrypleasures.motime.com

AnnieT
True Blue Farmgirl

287 Posts

Annie

287 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  4:37:52 PM  Show Profile
Table salt is iodized, so I wouldn't switch completely to sea salt. Iodine is very important in our diets (in very small amounts, of course). I use both. Table salt is cheap, sea salt is pretty (nice big crystals). The weight loss the author promises could simply be attributed to water retention. Limit your salt intake, and you will retain less water--ta-da!

Annie
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  4:50:27 PM  Show Profile
I don't use iodized salt -- I think it has a sharp/bitter edge to it. The table salt I use has no iodine in it, and for some cooking I use a non-iodinized Kosher salt which has a wonderful flavor and size to it. I love sea salt, also, for its briny flavor. From what I've read, we no longer need to get iodine from salt, especially if we include fish in our diets. No salt is 'better' than the others for our health; doctors would say limiting salt intake is best.

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  4:53:05 PM  Show Profile
I use sea salt and love it. It has a fresh taste and is very mild. I also use kosher salt in cooking. No bitter iodine flavor.

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  5:23:38 PM  Show Profile
I use Kosher salt for everything. A cook I like, Michael Chiarello, really pushes "gray" salt. He says it is harvested in Brittany, that it's full of magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, manganese, zinc and iodine. Haven't tried it, myself.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  7:07:15 PM  Show Profile
I love sea salt. I agree with MeadowLark -- it tastes very mild. You also don't have to use as much as regular iodized salt to get the taste.

http://rusticcottage.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 02 2005 :  7:34:01 PM  Show Profile
I use Realsalt..which comes from Redmond Utah and tastes great!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  04:58:47 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
I use Kosher most of the time, but sometimes will use a dash of table salt. I prefer the kosher and sea salt tho!
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  07:03:22 AM  Show Profile
I still use both but only because I have a box of table salt that needs used up. For all my cooking I only use sea salt now. The crystals are much bigger so you get flavor with out using a lot of salt. Once my box of table salt is gone, I won't buy it again. I figure the small amt of iodine that we need, I'll get elsewhere--not my salt.

KJD--I love Michael Chiarello!!! He has got some awesome recipes on his show. He ALWAYS uses gray salt, I've never tried it but I can't find it at my store either--I wonder where you can get it?
Go to Top of Page

LisaBee
True Blue Farmgirl

149 Posts

Lisa
Sparta TN
USA
149 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  07:19:30 AM  Show Profile  Send LisaBee a Yahoo! Message
Add me to the list of Michael C fans...I love watching him and Paula Deene on the food network. They are my two favorites. I am also on the lookout for the grey salt, with no luck so far. If no one knows where to get it, I will write the Food Network and ask them and get back to you with an answer.

"There is no teacup too large, nor book too long."
http://lisa222.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  07:21:03 AM  Show Profile
Kristi - you can get MC's gray salt from his catalog or website - Napastyle. Also, Williams Sonoma and probably Sur La Table have great gourmet items, many varieties of salt, olive oil, etc. My family pretty much shops for me at these stores for b-day/Christmas!
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  08:34:46 AM  Show Profile
Iodine is Very Important but many doctors and researchers believe that we don't need as much as they originally thought.

As long as you eat potatoes, asparagus, or onions, even on an ocassional basis, you are probably getting enough. Other root vegetables have it as well.

Too much iodine in the diet is the second leading cause of acne (after heredity). As a matter of fact, when researchers want to cause acne in test subjects, they give them iodine supplements.

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  08:41:53 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
Well I eat plenty of onions and potatoes! Maybe that's where my zits come from...
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  09:24:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Grey salt is wonderful to cook with! We are lucky to have a stand at our local market where they sell all kinds of fancy salts by the ounce. Some are really expensive, but you can get a very small amount. Another great sea salt is Hawiian Red (or Pink), it truly smells & tastes like the sea, and gets its color from the coral near Hawaii. My favorite one, however, is so natural it has occassional bits of rock in it, but nothing toothbreaking! Grey salt though, is moist...which is interesting.
Judes
Go to Top of Page

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  1:05:51 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a salt person, but I do use it in cooking and if I can switch to a healthier salt, I'm game! I didn't believe you can lost 10 pounds in 30 days just by switching, if it sounds too good to be true, it is! Now I'm curious about sea salt and the others mentioned, I believe one of my health food stores has all kinds of salt, so you might want to check yours out? Never heard of grey salt, but sounds interesting? Thanks to all for your input, I think I will get some sea salt and try it out!

" Age is mind over matter, if you don't mind, it dont' matter"

www.countrypleasures.motime.com
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2005 :  1:56:16 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Well I eat plenty of onions and potatoes! Maybe that's where my zits come from...

Hey Lynn,

That seems to be where mine came from. I didn't get acne until I was an adult. I had seen a dermatologist and taken a drug called Accutane which cleared up the acne, but only while I was on it. For me, it had horrible side affects too: depression, utter exhaustion, and very painful joints caused by the drying up of my synovial fluid. Not to mention, you absolutely cannot get pregnant while on this drug or for many months after you stop!

A few years ago I went to a facial plastic surgeon to have an inflamed mole removed from my cheek (wouldn't you know it, it was only inflamed because a zit was forming underneath it). The surgeon told me about the iodine and had me try cutting potatoes, onions, and asparagus out of my diet completely. I also changed my multi-vitamin to one with lower iodine.

Viola! My skin cleared up in a few weeks and has been clear every since. I can now eat these things in small quantities but I never eat a potato skin and I peel the onions pretty deeply before using them. Most of the iodine in in the outer part. Some potatoes have more iodine than others because of where they are grown.

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  06:52:17 AM  Show Profile
Wow that is so interesting about the iodine and acne. I started getting it when I was pregnant with my 2nd daughter so I just thought it was hormonal, well she is 4 now so obviously it's not hormones. I've tried accutane but quit because of the side effects and I've tried every other drug store stuff, health food store stuff, homemade stuff, everything so I've just decided to live with it. It's not bad at all just enough to bug I guess.

I did look at Michael Chiarello'a Napastyle website after posting here earlier and found the grey salt. It's either 5.50 or 9.50/lb., I don't remember. It's kinda pricey but if it's used just for cooking then maybe it won't be so bad. I've wanted one of those wooden salt dishes he uses on his show that has the lid. On his website they are $89.00!!!! Your kidding me!!! I don't want one that bad. His stuff is nice but VERY pricey!!!

Hey does anyone know where I would look for fresh whole nutmeg?
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  07:27:49 AM  Show Profile
Kristi,
Frontier Natural Co-Op has just about anything you can imagine on the herb and spice front. Here is the link to whole nutmeg:

http://www.frontiercoop.com/dspCmnPrd.php?p=p&cn=Nutmeg&ct=spicesaz

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  07:59:48 AM  Show Profile
Kristi - you're right about Michael C's products. I get the catalog and enjoy looking, but have never bought. Ridiculously expensive!!
Go to Top of Page

Whimsy_girl
True Blue Farmgirl

576 Posts

USA
576 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  08:06:43 AM  Show Profile
I started using sea salt for my sinuses, if you snort it up in lukewarm water and then blow your nose it really helps.

you can be oh so smart, or you can be oh so positive. I wasted a lot of time being smart I prefer being positive.
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  08:58:05 AM  Show Profile
Re: salt for your sinuses -- You can get a neti pot at natural food stores/yoga places. It looks a little like a ceramic Aladdin's lamp; put warm salt water in it; tilt your head to one side over the sink, pour the water into the higher nostril and let it run out the lower one. Helps you get through the winter cold season unscathed and with your sinuses.
Go to Top of Page

sqrl
True Blue Farmgirl

605 Posts

Melissa
Northern California
USA
605 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  09:11:38 AM  Show Profile
I love all kinds of funky salts. I only used sea salt but my favorite salt right now is this sea salt that comes from France. Actaully a French island called El de Ray. I went there a few years back and discover a new fasination with salt. They still harvest the salt in old fastion way. They have these evaporation pools and the salt farmers use big,old wooden rakes to rake the salt up into piles. The farmers are exactly what you picture, Striped shirts, with little hat and bandanas around their necks. You just fall in love, anyway the point is that the salt is amasing. You can get it here in the US but it's really too expensive. I am lucky enough to have a Siter-in-law that visits France almost every year and gets me some. There are so many diferent kinds of salt, I'd love to try them all. I know there is this redish salt from Hawaii, there is some kind of Celtic salt and I remember some kind of black. There really is a difference between good salt and just salt.

Blessed Be
www.sqrlbee.com www.sisterhood.sqrlbee.com

Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  09:24:58 AM  Show Profile
Sqrl, I love what you said! Funky salts...I also love to hear about your travels to France! I use a Celtic sea salt called Victoria Taylor's and it is from Brittany. It is kind of a pretty celadon/gray color. It has the essence of the ocean...I love it. Being land locked and a flatlander anything that reminds me of the ocean is wonderful!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

KJD
True Blue Farmgirl

402 Posts

402 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  10:59:04 AM  Show Profile
Did I read somewhere that the Hawaiian red salt and black salt are results, or at least the color results from volcanos?
Go to Top of Page

Judes
True Blue Farmgirl

156 Posts

Jude
OH
USA
156 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  12:04:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Judes a Yahoo! Message
Katie-ell~ I am the world's biggest neti pot fan! Couldn't live without mine. I used to have severe hayfever/allergies/sinus problems in the spring and fall. Haven't had trouble ever since I bought my first neti pot 2 yrs ago. And I made it through the entire winter last year without a cold. A little known fact about the Neti Pot, is that using one also massages the optic nerve, which lies near the interior bridge of your nose. This can improve vision, as well as ease eye strain and headaches related to eye strain.
KJD~It is true about the hawaiian salt & volcanos. At least that's what the herb stand lady tells me!
Love
J

Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 04 2005 :  12:30:34 PM  Show Profile
I am terrifid of neti pots

I just know I am going to aspirate the whole mess and drown

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Sea salt ?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page