Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 Sciactic nerve pain help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sciactic nerve pain help Next Topic
Page: of 2

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  8:10:12 PM  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know of any herbs, vitamins, or teas that will help to get rid of Sciactic nerve pain? I've had this since late spring and it's time for it to go. Thanks

You can tell your dog all of your secrets and they'll never say a word!
www.kennelcreations.com

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  05:20:05 AM  Show Profile
Tina,
I can feel for you. I have been dealing with back trouble most of my life and for the last two years I have suffered with Sciatica. I go to the chiropractor faithfully at least every two weeks. Sometimes once a week like now. It helps me tremendously and so does walking in my case. Some people who hurt with it cannot do lots of walking they have to sit. I do not know any herbal remedies, I sure wish I did. My employer had to have surgery and he is doing wonderfully. His was a pinched nerve or something. But going to the chiropractor keeps me moving. I walk a lot where I work so that is helpful. Sitting for any length of time is what gets me stiff and I wake up stiff in the morning. I hope you will find some relief from this.
And I hope someone can give you some advice.
Have you ever been to the chiropractor for it. That would be my first suggestion. That alone may help you.
take care,

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 29 2008 03:33:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  11:28:00 AM  Show Profile
Tina:
I had that, I hate that. And, to me, it's the worse kind of pain. I mentioned to someone on the site before (it may have been Denise) that a doctor had told my sister, who had lower back pain, that walking at least 20 minutes a day was like lubricating your spine. Well, that made all the sense in the world to me. I walk at least five days a week. My last back pain was at least ten years ago. Thank God!!!!!!!!!! I will keep you in my prayers. Keep us posted on How you are doing.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  6:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks ladies,
This actualy started in April when I bent over to spray some weeds. I went to two chiropractors when it first happened. The first one made it worse and the second one help some. I haven't been able to walk too far because of two knee surgeries on the same knee over the last 2 years. I would love to walk though. I am also up and down my stairs - raised ranch style house - at least a dozen times a day.

I have been drinking Chamomile tea which is supposed to be for calming and relaxing muscles and nerves for strains this past week. It does seem to help a little and I'm taking Tylinol PM so that I can sleep and ignore the pain and stiffness. I laugh at myself because I feel and walk like the "tin man" before his joints were oiled when I first get up. I'm sure this too will pass at some point but pain does wear you down after a while. Thank you so much for your prayers. It's good to know you're thinking about me.

Tina

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  9:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I had this pain when I was pregnant! I would be walking and then suddenly my leg would just cease to function because of the pain. I second the idea of going to a chiropractor. I think that would really help (if you found a good one that is!)

*hugs* I hope things start getting better for you soon!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9323 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9323 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  03:32:29 AM  Show Profile
I know exactly what you mean about the "tin man" feeling. I feel that way every morning until I start moving around. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience with the chiropractor. I would see if I could find someone else. I have other back issues so my visits keeps me able to move around. Also, walking is the best. The problem I have is, though we live in the country, I don't feel comfortable walking alone here and it's like pulling teeth to get anyuone to go with me. Now the weather is getting cooled down a bit I am going to try and get a walking partner though.
Oh, and I wanted to say that while walking up the stairs might be ok walking down puts a lot pressure on the lower back and legs because when stepping down there is almost all the weight of a person coming down on their knees and lower back. Not good but we have stairs so nothing can be done for it. My chiropractor told me to limit the trips up and down if possible. ie; doing everything I need to while up there,etc.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 29 2008 03:38:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  05:40:28 AM  Show Profile
Ouch! I have had the same problem. Bent over to pick up a toilet paper roll one day & I couldnt walk the rest of the day or stand for that matter. I had a friend at work that was a chiropractor (he stopped when his wife passed) I asked what I could do to help. He told me to lay on the edge of the bed on my side & pull your knee of the top leg up towards your chest (so that it kinda hangs off the bed over the edge) & press on your lower back/top of fanny right next to you hip. Then repeat on the other side. You may hear it pop. Since I have done that, I haven't had it flare up where I couldnt walk. It's been several years. It does sometimes flare up & get really sore, but I think that's from sitting in a terrible chair all day at work. Hope you get to feeling better soon, I know it hurts.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

Pavla
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Pavla
Grandville MI
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  08:38:01 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
Not sure I can really help, but I can sure relate! I have had chronic back pain for over 8 years now. It started when I was in bootcamp, so I completed boot camp with a broken back (2 herniated discs, 2 compressed discs, and a vertebral fracture). The bad news is there is not much to be done about this sort of pain. Pain meds don't work, stretching doesn't work, nothing does! Except surgery. I am 26 and have already had back surgery. Best thing to do now is to rest as much as possible so that the swelling will go down, the most likely cause of the nerve pain. Use heat to help flush the area out and promote blood flow. My doctors told me heat for chronic pain, and cold for acute pain. So, a heating pad or if you know someone with a hot tub might help (or a warm soak). And I second the walking, this is the best prevention possible! And even a short walk now would promote blood flow to the area so that any swelling would go down. Have you had an mri to check for possible disc problems? It might be prudent, back issues are nothing to mess with. It can go south pretty quick. Thats about all I wanted to add because like I said there is no cure. I take tons of meds for my issues and they do not touch the nerve pain, just the aching and throbbing pain in my spine. I really hope you do better soon. For the most part, I have found personally, keep moving! Sitting is the worst thing you can do for your back. Good luck and I hope the pain lessens soon!!
Go to Top of Page

0missy0
Farmgirl in Training

20 Posts

Melissa
Oklahoma
USA
20 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile
Hi,
I have not experienced Sciatic pain but my mother has.
I highly suggest going to a chiropractor! If you have had bad experience with one please try another. My chiropractor is very good. I go to him faithfully because of a roll over accident I was in last year. My mom no longer has any pain, she highly suggest going to a chiropractor. You will be in my prayers.
God Bless.
Go to Top of Page

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2008 :  09:41:18 AM  Show Profile
When I get sciatic pain, I have a panty girdle I put on. I never wear one otherwise. But it seems to hold in everything and ease the pressure on the nerve. I got mine at Dollar General for $5. You might give it a try.

I think that if a mortal ever heard the voice of God, it would be in a garden at the cool of the day. (F. Moore)

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

Room To Grow
True Blue Farmgirl

974 Posts

Deborah
Kingston Georgia
USA
974 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  12:04:50 PM  Show Profile
Hello Ladies, I am licensed Massage Therapist. I have helped many people with this crippling pain. Most of the time it is a small muscle that is a deep hip rotater muscle. It can easily but not very comfortable massage. My daugher had it when she was pregnant. And my husband has had back surgery that has left him with this pain on a regular basis. I get him out of pain instantly. Find a Massage Therapist that does Deep Tissue and ask if they can help with your problem. Hope this helps
Deborah

we have moved to our farm...and love it
Go to Top of Page

Georgiann
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Georgiann
Seymour IN
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  6:59:57 PM  Show Profile
Tina, my heart breaks for you. I had this terrible pain for 17 years after falling carrying two of my babies down the stairs (they were fine, thank goodness!) I finally had surgery 4 years ago, and have been just about pain free ever since.
Some things that helped me cope before the surgery: increase your vitamin B6 intake, either through your diet or by vitamins (with approval of your doc) -- that really helps with the inflamation causing pressure on the sciatic nerve.
Lay on the floor and put your legs up on the couch or bed, scooting your bum very close to the couch or bed -- then breathe easy and try to push the small of your back toward the floor -- again, helps to relieve that pressure on the nerve.
And as the others have wisely said, walk as much as you can when you feel up to it.
And I don't know if this applies to you, but I carry my weight around my middle. My surgeon suggested getting rid of that and tightening up my abs, which in turn will strengthen my back.

Yes, I promise to get to that. Soon! But maybe I'll get one of Deborah's massages first!

Whatever you do, do it with your whole heart
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22937 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22937 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  7:32:55 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Those are great ideas Georgiann! I had forgotten about the couch exercise! Thanks! I have been feeling like my back is arching too far in (being pulled by excessive middle weight I think) lately and I think this will help with that pain and help me relearn the correct position to hold my back in.

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

graciegreeneyes
True Blue Farmgirl

3107 Posts

Amy Grace
Rosalia WA
USA
3107 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  7:49:24 PM  Show Profile
I have sciatica as well - I know that what started it was moving from a job where I used my core muscles alot to one where I don't. I have lost all the muscle tone I used to have in my back/abs/arms and as it went everything sort of shifted down:) and my sciatica got worse. I talked to my doctor about it, figuring that if I got my core strengthened it would maybe help and he concurred with what I had figured and also recommended yoga. I found a really good short back-pain yoga workout in a magazine - I think it was Fit - a couple of months ago. I was getting into it and it seemed to be helping. Now however I slacked off and have lost the magazine.....
Anyway I think Pilates/Yoga or any sort of core strengthening will help.
Amy Grace

Farmgirl #224
"use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  8:24:12 PM  Show Profile
Wow, I never imagined that so many folks are dealing with this same pain. I really appreciate all of the ideas and I didn't know about the different exercises available out there. I will difintely be trying the couch one. I do carry my weight around my middle and that does need to be address too. I have thought of trying a Massage Therapist and I do know a really good one so I might start there and with the walking too. Who knows, maybe that will help the middle. I'll keep everyone posted on the progress from time to time. Thanks so much for your help and I hope everyone starts feeling pain free.

Tina

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

Sitnalta
True Blue Farmgirl

4208 Posts

Jessica
NJ
USA
4208 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2008 :  10:13:36 PM  Show Profile
HI Tina,
Im thinking of you. I had that wicked bad when I had my kiddos. Nothing like feeling shooting pains and stiffness all the time. Thankfully, my isnt near as bad now. I noticed when I get more exercize, it helps tremendously! DH and I have started talking walks in the evening and try to stay as stress free as I can.
Hope you are feeling better. Those pesky weeds to blame!!
hugs jess

Farmgirl Sister #235

Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  08:48:40 AM  Show Profile
Yes, the weeds along my front walk "won" this year!
Tina

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2008 :  4:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Add me to the club. I don't have the pain much anymore but one thing that really helped was to put a pillow under my legs when I'm sleeping on my back (or between my knees when sleeping on my side). That plus walking has helped the most. Hope you're doing better soon, girl!

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311
Go to Top of Page

neighsayer
True Blue Farmgirl

81 Posts

Shirley
Arabi GA
USA
81 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  02:34:13 AM  Show Profile  Send neighsayer a Yahoo! Message
Is there a list now for this? I'm on it too. That's why I was awake at 4:00 a.m. this morning. Mine is mainly in my hip or rotator. Since I have gained weight and stopped exercising I notice it even more. I am going to try some of these advices I have learned. I like the massage one especially. Of course, I am so ticklish I would probably be all over the table. ha ha

Thank God I live in the country!
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2008 :  07:34:34 AM  Show Profile
Oh Shirley, thanks for the ticklish chuckle today. I've been doing the stretching exercises, drinking chamomile tea a bed time, will start walking today, and will go for a nice massage when money is saved up. It's a little better this week. Oh yes, I'm working on the weight too. The suggestions that everyone gave are very good. Hang in there everyone.
Tina

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  11:48:27 AM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
Me too!

My DH went to a PT for siatica. He showed me an exercise: you arch your back as much as you can. Arch it all the time all day. Put a pillow on your chair to make your back arch more.

It helps a lot!

It came from a book called 'heal your own back'.

My son's blog (designed to keep in touch with Grandma and all her friends:
http://babycork.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FarmGirl~K
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Kelly
TX
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  05:24:26 AM  Show Profile
I have been reading the book Abs Diet for Women. He says that several studies have been done that suggest if you have strong abs, your back won't hurt. When you have weak abs, your knees, back, & legs make up for the weakness to support you & can cause pain. Thinking back to when I had sciatica w/my pregnancies & after, I went to a dr for back pain & he gave me an exercise program just for my abs & told me the same thing. Didnt think about that again until I started reading this book. Makes sense though, our stomach supports everything we do.

"I have an irrepressible desire to live till I can be assured that the world is a little better for my having lived in it."
– Abraham Lincoln
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2008 :  06:06:18 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
When I hurt my back and was suffering with sciatica, 75% of the work I did was for my abs, back and hamstrings. The rest was for the rest of the body. Core is key. Make sure you work the whole entire core, since it wraps all the way around.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2008 :  12:13:59 PM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
True, when I did pilates regularly, I never had back problems.

My son's blog (designed to keep in touch with Grandma and all her friends:
http://babycork.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kpaints
True Blue Farmgirl

1564 Posts

karen
cheney wa
1564 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2008 :  7:05:53 PM  Show Profile  Send kpaints an AOL message
I too suffer from back problems, over 40 years, one stretch that helps is to lay down in a doorway and scoot your buns up to the middle of the door so that you can put your foot on the right side door trim and then stretch out the other leg through the doorway. Switch sides. It seems to help me but naturally tightening those core muscles is most important. I was a painting contractor for years and all the lifting of ladders, gallons of paint etc really helped to keep the back pains at bay but now that I am retired they are back at me. Opps sorry about the pun. Ha. Hey, laughter uses core muscles!

Find your joy and live it. http://cheneybaglady.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

doglady
True Blue Farmgirl

435 Posts

Tina
Howard Ohio
USA
435 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2008 :  5:41:34 PM  Show Profile
Update; well it's been interesting for sure. My doctor finally ordered an MRI on my lower back to see why the sciatic pain was just staying the same. It showed that I have a slightly bulging disk that is putting pressure on the sciatic nerves. My options were to see a ortho surgeon or physical therapy. That's a no brainer because no ones cutting on my back. I start PT on Monday 3x a week for 4 weeks. I may go back to my old Chirpractor too. Maybe I'll lose some weight too! LOL I just thought I'd let you know.

Tina

www.kennelcreations.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Sciactic nerve pain help Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page