deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  6:21:32 PM  Show Profile
As I was driving into town today I came up to the four lane intersection in the middle of town and saw this little gray thing in the center of the road! My first thought is "oh no, its dead" but a closer look showed me it was a baby kitten and it was alive! I seriously put my four ways on, stopped the truck, flagged traffic to a stop (in the middle of town wearing my apron!)and ran over to this kitchen with horns blaring at me. I thought it had been hit and I was going to take it somewhere safe to either die, or get it help. Turns out it was not hit, it was TERRIFIED! He was laying flat in the road panicked beyond all belief! Well, my sucker light was flashing and I carried him to the truck and checked him out. Skinny, bright eyed and...loud. Needless to say he went grocery shopping with me, to the service station and then to the bank! The spoiled brat is in the mudroom as I type...I am waiting with baited breath on what hubby is going to say to ANOTHER cat. this will be a barn cat for sure, but I'm already attached...as he is to me--claws and all! Anyhow, Harvest Thyme Farm welcomes Myrt, the Rescued Cat!

Dawn M. Sista #279 (big grin!)
www.harvestthymefarm.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  6:49:13 PM  Show Profile
You go girl!!! I would have paid money to see you flagging traffic in your apron to rescue little Myrt!!!! ROTFL!!

I once wadded through a hip deep cold pond in a dress, in upstate NY to rescue a heron that I saw crash into an overhead wire and break a wing (almost off). I drove him over an hour through the mountains to a vet who rescued animals. I assisted with surgery in the vet's office, then donated some $ towards his care. Vet's wife kept all sorts of little woodland creatures on her little abode who could no longer go back to their wild life. They assured me that he'd be taken care of....So I'm RIGHT THERE WITH YA!
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  6:54:06 PM  Show Profile
HA...just read my post..."wadded" could be "waded" or "waddled"....probably at that time it was about the same!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  7:14:52 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Dawn! And StarMeadow! Great job on the rescues! Poor Myrt! No wonder he was afraid! And I bet he never wants to be near a road again!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  7:54:01 PM  Show Profile
WHAT A LUCKY KITTY! I am sure that he is so happy to be rescued, what a terrifying experience. One more barn cat can't hurt...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  05:28:22 AM  Show Profile
Yeah, tell that to my hubby....
Myrt spent the entire night meowing outside the window last night. I am beat. Hopefully he will soon understand his title as BARN cat!

www.harvestthymefarm.com

"I figure if a girl wants to be a legend, she should go ahead and be one!"...Calamity Jane
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  07:16:27 AM  Show Profile
How old does he/she look to be? The kitty could probably use a box with a blanket and hot water bottle to cozy up to outside to similate mother's body. Is the kitty able to eat food? You did such a wonderful thing, I would have certainly done the same thing.

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  07:57:57 AM  Show Profile
Good for YOU Dawn!!!! (And you too T!!!) I would have done the same thing. I'm such a sucker for a critter in need! But God bless you BOTH for your kindness and caring, and God bless little Myrt! May he go down in history as the "Best-Darn-Barnyard-Kitty" EVER!!!!!!!!! (LOVE the name by the way. What made you think of THAT?)

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  08:28:11 AM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
Dawn,I totally agree with Tracy, thanks for doing such a loving thing, I would have done the same thing, I couldn't have not. Love the name...

T, You are my kind of people,thank you for caring and following through on it so. We got our cat Addie from a vet who takes care of animals abandon and hurt. What a blessing to hear of such compassion...

Debbie

Farmgirl Sister #324

duty makes us do things, but love, makes us do things beautifully...
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  1:15:13 PM  Show Profile
Dawn:
You should get the human to pet award for the year. How totally awesome, kind, etc... you are. I shall brag about my farmgirl friend and how she saved the cat's life. Hurray for Dawn. By the way, I love love love love cats!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have five outside, all rescued, and two inside, both rescued, and a 14 year old dog that someone dropped off at my house in the country. His name is Lucky Dog, because he and I are both lucky they dropped him off at our house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dawn, you are a hero to me.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  2:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Dawn - It's people like you who renew my faith in...well,...in people! You are awesome!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  2:52:10 PM  Show Profile
Ya'll are funny! The cat's name is Myrt. My grandpa used to called me and my cousin Myrt & Myrtle. I was thinking about him a lot yesterday so... thats the story on that. All my pets have dorky names... I think the kitten is old enough to have been weaned. He does try to eat dry food, but its tough, so I made some mash for him. He definately likes milk. He's agray tabby with HUGE gray eyes... I was gonna call him Graysie, until I looked underneath!! Maybe I should've named him Graydon after hubby's uncle

www.harvestthymefarm.com

Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  3:17:29 PM  Show Profile
THANK YOU! for coming to the rescue of that little kitty. I'm always dragging home a stray dog myself and finding it's owners. Even rescued a Coot caught in some fishing line at a local pond last winter. He had got a fishing line down his gullet that was wrapped up in a tree. He even managed to get his own toe nail lodge under his bill from trying to free himself from the fishing line. It looked like the more he tried to get free the more he got tangled up until he was practically upside down in the water. He just kept going around in a loop, would come up for air then back under water. I coulnd't NOT help that poor duck! So, I waded out, got the fishing line cut and unwrapped and was able to remove his toenail from his bill. The funny thing is after I picked him up out of the water he didn't squirm or fight me in the least. I think he knew I was helping him. Didn't look like any damage was done to the poor thing so I put him back in the water and off he swam to join his buddies. Makes me feel good even months later.

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

deeredawn
True Blue Farmgirl

2306 Posts

Dawn
Cordova TN
USA
2306 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  6:57:11 PM  Show Profile
Good for you! BTW: I LOVE your name. I named my daughter Audrey...

http://harvestthymefarm.blogspot.com
http://gypsycowgirlcreations.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  8:10:39 PM  Show Profile
Dawn, that was a great story! Thanks for sharing with us! I love little kitties and it's great that you helped this one out. Have a great day!!!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  07:00:24 AM  Show Profile
You go girl!!! Myrt is one lucky punkin!!! I have jumped into traffic before to save a furball, but never in an apron! Wonderful image!!! Sure wish a local paper would have been around :)

Farmgirl Sister #80, thanks to a very special farmgirl from the Bluegrass..."She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
http://www.buyhandmade.org/
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic the big rescue! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page