Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Just weird; ducks mating with chickens??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Just weird; ducks mating with chickens?? Next Topic  

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  09:54:32 AM  Show Profile
I have never had trouble with my birds mingling with each other; chickens, ducks and turkeys all free range with no problems. I have to say though, I was kind of disturbed this morning when I noticed our 2 male ducks tag-teaming a poor hen! Our female duck was nearby, so it was certainly not for lack of....uh...partner. Any ideas to remedy? Is it harmful to the hen if I can't stop them? I don't want to get rid of the ducks, but there's really not a way for me to keep them separate. Anyone else have this problem?

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  11:14:31 AM  Show Profile
Hmmmm Molly I have to say I've never heard of this one..... I would think it's merely a case of mistaken identity on the ducks part?? Anyway we had ducks at one time (until they produced 13 ducklings and those grew up and took over the farm lol) while we had chickens and I never witness that happening. I would guess that it wouldn't hurt the poor hens at all.

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  1:03:02 PM  Show Profile
it is actually for lack of their own kind. I had a male peking duck and a single female peking duck recently..but the male became extremely aggressive so we had to get rid of him..I found out that the entire problem was that he needed more gals around of his own kind.. after he had a few more girlfriends he became very docile.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  4:52:37 PM  Show Profile
Oh I've seen this happen before. It's a bit ridiculous if you ask me, but hey... "boys WILL be boys!" as the saying goes. It could very well be that the "lady" duck is not to their liking, (Poor little Lady duck), and more girls ARE called for. I don't think they can cross-breed, since they are different species, so there should be no worries about strange critters hatching on the farm. (Now, if you have Guineas! THAT'S a whole different thing entirely! They CAN cross with chickens. I have seen them with my own two peepers--- VERY STRANGE BIRDS!!! Also, very infertile.) Just get some more Lady Ducks if you can, and hopefully the randy little buggers'll leave your poor hens ALONE!!! And maybe Lady Duck will finally get a boyfriend who appreciates her!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  06:25:57 AM  Show Profile
Ha ha, thanks for your (funny) helpful comments! I won't worry too much about it, although I did witness it a few more times over the day. I think I will have to find some more ladies for them. Great idea, thanks for the tips! And Tracy, I'm glad to hear I shouldn't have any duckins or chucks running around..... ;)

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  09:31:15 AM  Show Profile
Well Molly, I wouldn't bet my LIFE on that, since I didn't think Guineas and Chickens could "Pro-Create" either!!! But I'm pretty sure that ducks and chickens are not reproducable--- I THINK! (LOL) That funny Guinea/Chicken thing we had? We called it a Guicken or a Chinea. STRANGE looking creature! If you DO get some wierd looking babies any time soon I REALLY would like to see a picture of them! Hugs~~~ Tracy

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  10:49:08 AM  Show Profile
Reminds me of a saying that Ole Ron says when we are out in the boonies. "Where the hoot owls court the chickens." maybe there is something to that.
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  11:38:49 AM  Show Profile
This story reminded me of a little creature we had around our place when I was a kid. We found it, believe it or not, when it looked like it had just been hatched, in an empty (open) mason jar, out by the pumphouse. We freed it from the jar, and it survived. It was the strangest little animal - it had webbed feet, but from the legs up it didn't look like a duck at all, more like a chicken or turkey. We ended up calling it a "chickturduck".

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  11:54:29 AM  Show Profile
Missy's male duck used to go after the chickens all the time and he had a female duck at his side. Maybe they just want a little variety - LOL!

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  1:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
You might want to read this Q&A http://en.allexperts.com/q/Wild-Animals-705/ducks-mate-chickens.htm

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  1:02:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sherri- Was your little hatchling a Muscovy Duck? http://www.kadavy.net/blog/posts/chickenduck-hybrid-muscovy-duck/

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  2:32:37 PM  Show Profile
We have a chick that is rather funny looking, and our neighbors Guineas come over to our place every day. Makes me wonder..Hmmm. I remember one day when we were at a friends house and their Chiahuahua (misspelled?) tried to hump one of their chickens.

Our farm is X rated, due to fisky roosters, our poor chickens, they try to run away, but the roosters tag team the chickens! It looks comical, as one has a good time, it looks like the other roosters are cheering it on, then another may take their turn. UGH!
Go to Top of Page

mikesgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

3659 Posts

Sherri
Elma WA
USA
3659 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  2:36:37 PM  Show Profile
Alee - no way to know for sure, but I'll bet he was!!! That picture on the link is the closest thing I've ever seen to him (her?)!

Farmgirl Sister #98
Check out my new online store
http://www.shopthefrontier.com/VFstore/index.php?manufacturers_id=79&osCsid=6be4b25bf9555031c6e2e86bbde23dba
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  4:01:58 PM  Show Profile
A chicken that quacks. could be a big money maker.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2008 :  08:52:02 AM  Show Profile
Barbara-- your post made me laugh so hard! I have to say, I have Chihuahua's and trust me, the males WILL do the nasty on anything that can't run away!!! (or isn't QUICK enough!) My little black Chi-monster, Stitch, just LOOOOOOVED our rabbit. I'd let the rabbit out of his cage to hop around (he was a house bunny-- just recently passed away from old age) and Stitch would get all kinds of excited and chase the rabbit around the house. He'd litterally grab onto the rabbit with his long skinny legs and go to town! The rabbit would get SO MAD!!! He's start kicking and running with this little Chihuahua hanging onto his "waist" (if rabbits HAVE waists!) I swear though, if my Chi could talk he would have sounded like that Bee on the Nasonex commercials-- (or the Skunk "Peppy Le Pew" who was always chasing the cat!) "Ahh... My flower...." (the voice of the Bee is Antonio Banderas, so you can imagine) Too FUNNY!!

What does your funny looking chick look like? Can you describe it? Oh, and my farm is a bit X-rated as well. I have 3 buck goats, who occasionally get out and chase the ladies, otherwise they are chasing EACH OTHER! Same with my rams. I have six of them and they get a bit lonely for the girls so..... well, we'll just leave it at THAT won't we?

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Just weird; ducks mating with chickens?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page