Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 We lost our favorite chicken
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic We lost our favorite chicken Next Topic  

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  2:01:23 PM  Show Profile
Okay, yes it's "just" a chicken, but not to my husband and I, or to her baby chick. Our little black and buff colored bantie "Buffy" was killed by a skunk last night. Now her tiny chick is motherless. She was a sweet gentle chicken, who laid tiny little cute eggs and was a good Mom.

The baby chick seems to be okay, alittle lost, but he/she is eating and hanging out with the other chickens, so we will just let her stay with the flock. Also she doesn't want to be caught, she hides from us. Every year we lose one or two chickens, so I guess we have been lucky not to lose a larger number.

misstilliewillie
True Blue Farmgirl

136 Posts

glory
Tennessee
USA
136 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  2:22:27 PM  Show Profile
What a bummer!
I can certainly relate...it seems like every critter in the world likes chickens...coyotes, bobcats,
fox, owls, possums, hawks, raccoons, skunks and....possibly the worst offender... the neighbor's dog!

Edited by - misstilliewillie on Sep 02 2008 8:43:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  2:42:14 PM  Show Profile
I agree..each batch of chickens always has a special one. I feel so bad that you lost Buffy, Barbara. I have a favorite like that right now too...a little banty we call Molly. She can get out of the pen any time she wants and joins me when I work in the garden..and sort of has free run of the yard. I worry about cats getting her...she is extra tiny...but so far she has lived 6 years.
I just hate when there is skunk problem!! We had a hard time with owls carrying off our hens in Calif where we lived too. I had to put net over their big run.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  7:19:12 PM  Show Profile
I am so sorry about Buffy. I understand how you feel. I have a favorite chicken also "Hen-reata". I am attached to all my animals no matter what they are. When I lost my goat "Katie", I went into a crying fit! She was my baby.

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  8:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for being so understanding. Buffy's little chick is doing well. It's so small, so I worry about it, but it sure knows how to hide, so maybe it will be okay. We have had problems with skunks before, and have lost several chickens to these pests. One year ago, one of them even sprayed the coop, it stunk for about a month. UGH!

Barb
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 27 2008 :  1:16:50 PM  Show Profile
Barbara:
Of course you loved the little chicken. My sister, Barbara, had a pet chicken when we were growing up. So, yes, I believe the farmgirls understand your hurt and pain. I am so sorry for your lose.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

mrsmorgen
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

morgen
coudersport pa
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  05:56:24 AM  Show Profile
I am so sorry for your loss, I lost my first one to lay last week to a bear. It is so upsetting! We do totally understand!
Morgen

I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life which are the real ones after all..
laura ingalls wilder

www.laubers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

countrygal56
True Blue Farmgirl

221 Posts

Barbara
Dickson Tennessee
USA
221 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2008 :  2:24:55 PM  Show Profile
Oh my a bear! How scary Morgan! Stay safe!

Barb
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic We lost our favorite chicken Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page