Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  11:16:32 AM  Show Profile
Picked up some cute stuff today, 1940's tablecloths, buttons, red glassware, wooden spoons. very old tins. Also got a nice pair of pinking shears for a dollar. And big framed pictures of JAMES DEAN for my son.A couple of books. So pretty good garage sale day.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  11:46:57 AM  Show Profile
OMG, Nancy jo!

left a comment on your blog.

I am speechless.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

JudyBlueEyes
True Blue Farmgirl

657 Posts

Judith
Spokane Washington
USA
657 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  12:39:30 PM  Show Profile
Wow! Good job, Nancy Jo! I have vowed not to go garage saling any more this year until I straighten up my stuff and find a place for all I got this year. It really is a sickness, and looking at your treasures gives me withdrawals, but also gives me hope that I can get organized. And every corner has a garage sale sign right now!!! But on the little tins, I am not sure it is German. My guess would be Russian or some Slavic language, mainly because of the backwards "N" and also the letters on the top look to be Cyrillic, not Germanic. Just my humble opinion, but I think you have a really neat find in those tins. You might try to find out the name of the people who had the sale and see if you can determine what their heritage is. I love the little girl with the buggy, too. Like a Hummel wannabe, but still very cute, and old. Keep on keepin on!

We come from the earth, we go back to the earth, and in between, we garden!
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  12:50:32 PM  Show Profile
Judy, thank you for you imput. I would love to find out about these tins.They sure look and feel old. I don't know what would have come in them. I have been looking online trying to find out something about them, but no luck yet.
NANCY JO

Go to Top of Page

downbranchroad
True Blue Farmgirl

374 Posts

Joy
Southern KY
USA
374 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  12:57:51 PM  Show Profile  Send downbranchroad a Yahoo! Message
What a find!! I love the old sewing notions and box! Also, adore the red and yellow table cloth (colors in my kitchen) the woodens spoons are nice too! Lukcy girl.

Appalachian Girl
Jem

*If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you have always got.

My new blog!
http://downbranchroad.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  2:51:36 PM  Show Profile
You did great, New York has the BEST yard sales! I have family out on the Island and have to go yardsaleing every time I'm there!! Lucky you!!

Kelly
Farmgirl #238
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  2:51:49 PM  Show Profile
I wish my camera was working. We gathered all of our change and headed out. We went to visit Theresa in Dayton- last time to see her before she goes I think.. Anyway we went to a moving sale and I got a cute old dresser scarf that is embroidered on both ends and crocheted around the edges in pink, a 9x13 pan with sliding lid (my grandma had one that she made fudge in.. when my grandpa died and she was moving away to live with my Aunt I got a lot of her household stuff- I tried to confiscate that pan but she caught me and snatched it back.. now I have one of my own), and a bag of little tupperware type containers with lids for Jeff's lunches for $1!! Then I found a box with a floral swag, a hat with flowers around it and several other baskets and a embroidered type doily thing for $2, a full apron, a tea cup and saucer made out of wire, old canning jar mug, and at Theresa's I got several patterns, a mini quilt that needs binding, another quilt with a wandering rabbit on the front that she tea stained that I just need to finish off with the binding she gave me and another quilt top for me to quilt both of the full quilts will go on the wall in my livingroom, the mini is in reds and will go in my bedroom and I also got bags and bags of fabric and scrap fabric.. Thanks Theresa! jeff got a shop vac from Theresa's too. I found a couple other little things.. And we spent only $20!

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
http://modernmanna.org
Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  4:24:10 PM  Show Profile
Kelly, I'm in upstate NY, have never been on the long Island end of the state, but glad to hear the sales are good down that way too.
Found out those little tins I got today are very old Russian tea tins. I guess a nice lady some place thought they were the perfect place to put buttons.

Go to Top of Page

msjocee
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Josie
Canyon Country CA
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  4:41:39 PM  Show Profile
I love the tins!! My first thought when I saw them was they look like tea tins and I guess I was right. The red glassware nice!! Lucky you.

Mom to wild boys: Miah(10), and Jakie(6)

"Everything is Possible for They who believe."
Go to Top of Page

Sandra K. Licher
True Blue Farmgirl

1106 Posts

Sandra
Horseshoe Bend Arkansas
1106 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  6:20:18 PM  Show Profile
WELL.....You definitely have THE GIFT....I never see such neat things around here...although we're lucky if we have one garage sale a month. Maybe I would be more discriminating if we had more to choose from. In all my years of "junkin"...you have found the neatest things! I don't even see those neat of things at antique stores! Maybe it's because the people that "went west" left all the good things at home and that's what you're getting now! LOL!
Glad you had such a good day! It rained here on and off and it's REALLY humid so I stayed in and cleaned and vacuumed and I had REAL coffee today and LOTS of it and it's amazing what I got done...WHO KNEW?!?! Without REAL coffee I could have ended up in the home...I was ALMOST comatose!
I REALLY love those tins and the box and that cute little girl and I'm not even into knickknacks much but she is a cutie!
And the tableclothes....so retro! And the buttons....one can never have too many buttons! You DO have THE GIFT!!!!! Does it run in your family?

Sam in AR..... "It's a great life if you don't weaken!"
Farmgirl Sister #226
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  2:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Really love the old tins. Let us know if you find out their age/what came in them. Love the tablecloths, too. Yard sales here have been like the tomato crop this year.....sparse and puny.

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

mothergoose
True Blue Farmgirl

56 Posts

Richere
tiverton rhodeiland
USA
56 Posts

Posted - Aug 26 2008 :  5:47:55 PM  Show Profile
Garagesales are the way to go-I do not know how to do the picture thing so I have not seen any of yours or put on any of mine.I have however been very lucky at garage sales in my neck of the woods.We furnished our house ,have gotten clothes, all manner of craft and house wares, even tools and fishing stuff...oh and leggos and toys.now my kids give me a list of what they need. so saterdays untill noon go to treasure hunting in yardsales.Our grandson calls them surprise houses.Happy hunting everyone! god bless bye for now Richere
Go to Top of Page
  Across the Fence: Previous Topic SATURDAY GARAGE SALES Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page