Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Bamboo Knitting Needles
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bamboo Knitting Needles Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  4:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Hi, My niece actually found this tip. If you have arthritis or problems with cold hands bamboo knitting needles are much easier to use. I have joint problems, and hyper sensitivity to cold and I've also had carpel tunnel surgery. I can't believe how much lighter and warmer the bamboo knitting needles are. I also found bamboo crochet hooks today but I haven't tried them yet so I can't say if they work as well as what I usually use. But I'm sold on bamboo knitting needles. Only disadvantage I've found is that when the dog ran off with my knitting he did return the needles with a few teeth marks but I will just have to be more careful where I leave my knitting.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  5:11:31 PM  Show Profile
I agree, Kathy, I love wooden needles. There's something about the feel of them, warm and organic, that's very soothing. Enjoy!
Patricia

Happy Wishes!
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  05:13:50 AM  Show Profile
I enjoy knitting with bamboo needles, also. For the same reasons: they are smooth and "soft" and quiet, thus contributing to knitting-induced relaxation. There also is no coating that could wear of if you knit a lot, so they stay pretty for ever. I keep a emery board and a piece of wax paper in my knitting basket. In case of a rough spot (never happened so far, but I'm prepared)

From this hour I ordain myself loss'd of limits and immaginary lines. Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  06:06:30 AM  Show Profile
You can get Black Walnut needles too. They have the same properties but a much longer life.

Of course, you can grow bamboo in four years and you know how long it takes for a walnut tree!

So, you are also doing something nice for the environment by using bamboo since it is such an easily renewable resource.

Happy Knitting,
Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  08:59:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Lucinda, I did find those when I was looking for size 13 double pointed needles. I have to admit that I gulped at the price and when I found some plastic ones on sale for 1.47 for a set of 5 I went with plastic even though I really wanted the black walnut. Maybe I'll put them on my wish list for the holidays.

Kathy

Dogs make such good friends because they wag their tails rather then their tongues.
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  09:11:53 AM  Show Profile
The walnut needles Are lovely. I treated myself to one size 8 set years ago. I figured that is the size I use for mittens, hats, and scarves so they would get a lot of use.

Have you ever tried making your own? It's kind of fun. You just buy a dowel or dowels (depending on whether you are making a set of single points or a set of double points), cut it in the lengths you need, use a pencil sharpener on the end - but leave just a little bit of the end blunt, and then sand the ends with sand paper. A 1/4" dowel makes size 8. You can go up or down from there. If they are single points you can make end caps from FIMO clay and glue them on.

Lucinda

When we were young, there were moments of such perfectly crystallized happiness that we stood stock still and silently promised ourselves that we would remember them always. And we did. --Holly J. Burkhalter , "Four Midwestern Sisters' Christmas Book"

Edited by - thehouseminder on Nov 01 2005 09:51:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  09:37:35 AM  Show Profile
I love bamboo needles too. All of my double point needles are wooden. I have some birch and one set of walnut straight needles too..even my circular needles are wood. I do have one set of size 3.75 of ebony ( I think) that were a gift. I LOVE them..perfect for socks or gloves. They are very short and so smooth. I just love the feel of wood. I have a couple of cute straight needles that are homemade (I got them as gifts) with the cute fimo ends..one with strawberries and one with green balls on the end. I am glad to know they are better for me too!! I know they are calming!!!

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

CityCat
True Blue Farmgirl

198 Posts

Catherine
Toronto Ontario
Canada
198 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  6:32:33 PM  Show Profile
I recently started to crochet again, and it's with a bamboo crochet hook. It's light and easy to use, and I don't think I could use a plastic one or a metal one. I find using it so soothing. Funny, huh?

Cat
Go to Top of Page

Kathigene
True Blue Farmgirl

160 Posts

Kathy
New York
160 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  9:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Kathigene an AOL message  Send Kathigene a Yahoo! Message
Hi Cat, I'm going to try the bamboo crochet hooks as well. I bought one recently but I have too many knitting projects going to start something crochet right this minute! But I'm sure that I will also enjoy using them as well.

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 06 2005 :  10:00:42 PM  Show Profile
I bought one (crochet hook in bamboo) that I havn't tried yet either. I do like to crochet, but seem to knit alot more often. Wood just feels so much nicer in your hands. I tend to bend the plastic knitting needles and hate that noise the metal ones make..sets my teeth on edge.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

thehouseminder
True Blue Farmgirl

361 Posts

USA
361 Posts

Posted - Nov 07 2005 :  07:07:08 AM  Show Profile
I have one bamboo crochet hook but it is in my knitting bag. I use it to weave in my ends.

I think it must be something primal that makes it so relaxing and rewarding to use tools made from natural materials

Lucinda

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  7:07:36 PM  Show Profile
I love my bamboo needles too and since I started using them don't want to knit on anything else. I was at a fiber fair last year and there was a lady selling glass needles - interesting in concept, but I tried them out and there was a little "clang" like a bell ringing everytime the needles touched and I thought, no, my wrists and hands will not be happy.

I like the circular bamboo needles the best. But I do have some straight ones for knitting socks and mittens that are "swallow's nest" that aren't too bad for the arthritis.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2006 :  8:14:27 PM  Show Profile
wow glass knitting needles...seems like not my thing either..but I bet they are pretty. I can't stand the noise the metal ones make so I am pretty sure I wouldn't like glass either. I love the wooden ones!!
What do you mean by Swallows nest Brenda?

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  04:15:07 AM  Show Profile
I'm not sure any more of the brand name for the swallow's nest needles, but they are made from a kind of protein that is made by taking old swallows nests and boiling them down (I am SURE they wait until the swallows are gone!) The needles feel like plastic but somehow they are warmer and more flexible. I will go look it up on a knitting site or google and see what I come up with. The two pairs I have are lavendar and amber-colored.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  04:18:12 AM  Show Profile
OK I was wrong. Here is a link to an article http://www.arnos.com.au/swallow/news.html It seems the brand name is Swallow but the needles are now made from milk protein (casein). I am sure I read about the swallow's nest? Maybe that was what gave the original people the idea to try milk protein?

Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  11:37:22 AM  Show Profile
I also love bamboo. I have had fibromyalgia for 15 years and it totally changed my world as an "arty" person. I tried some of the plastic needles by Bryspun, but the smaller sizes are a bit too "bendy" for me. I like slippy needles and the bamboo are the closest to plastic or metal in that regard (my opinion). My favorite circulars are addi natura, but they are $$$$. My dps and straights are Crystal Palace (I dont' like the join on the CP circulars).
My favorite place to get them is by mail from the following shop in my home town!
www.yarnsbydesign.com

Jana
Go to Top of Page

rosebud74a
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

Stacy
Maryland NY
USA
109 Posts

Posted - Feb 21 2006 :  10:37:16 PM  Show Profile  Send rosebud74a an AOL message
oh glass needles interesting, not sure how well i woul do with those. I tried bamboo needles for the first time beacuse of this hat I was making. There were no other options for circular needles aside from the bamboos, I really loved them. I went back and got dp's which are bamboo as well. I think that I will slowly phase into all bamboo needles. I can' afford to replace all my needles right now...and the old metal needles have sentimental value as they were my great aunt's. makes me feel some how closer to her using her old metal needles, even with the clanking noise and the cold :)

Stacy

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Eleanor Roosevelt, 'This Is My Story,' 1937

Go to Top of Page

katiedid
True Blue Farmgirl

601 Posts

Kate
West Jordan Utah
USA
601 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  9:26:12 PM  Show Profile
Just bringing this up again...I got myself some new knitting needles at Roberts..I needed some size 1 double points to knit some baby booties...I was happy to find bamboo needles there..for only $5-$7 a pair!!

Go ahead and weigh in...what are your favorite needles?? I personally love wood.

Anyone make homemade knitting needles?

Kate

my new blog http/www.theknifemakerswife.wordpress.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2006 :  9:46:42 PM  Show Profile
Wood for sure. I have some very short glove DPs that are ebony..a gift from a friend long ago. I love how they feel and work. They are an odd size too 3.75. But I like them alot!
I use mostly the birch ( I think) ones and have some bamboo too. My circulars are all bamboo except the really really big ones which are metal..I hate that scrapey noise they make!!
My straight needles are all wood too..at least the ones I use.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  05:49:16 AM  Show Profile
Wood! I am a fiber snob AND a wooden needle snob. I agree with Aunt Jenny, I hate the scrapey sound of metal needles!!

Catherine :)

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  06:19:41 AM  Show Profile
That scrapey metal sound is the sound of my childhood!! My mother would knit all winter long and what do I remember most? That horrible sound- scrape, click, scrape, click!! It is probably why I did not start knitting until I was an adult. :) So, needless to say, it's wood needles for me- I prefer the birch needles, but will knit with acrylic as well. I love the slippiness of them!!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  07:10:34 AM  Show Profile
I think I grip too hard or something but the plastic needles get all bent out of shape when I have tried them. I like that they don't make that noise though. The wood ones are much more easy to find than they used to be..don't you gals agree???
Catherine..I am a fiber snob on some projects too..but stuff for my youngest kids is all about washable. I do love those wonderful woolen and mohair and alpaca yarns..and LOVE knitting with homespun!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

JenniferJuniper
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Jennifer
New Hampshire
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  07:49:58 AM  Show Profile
Another bamboo/wood fan here. I found that aluminum ones would react with the sweat on my palms, leaving a weird metallic smell on my hands.

I have straights and dpns in all sizes 0-15, got them on eBay. I paid about $25 for each lot, when you price it in the craft stores you're lucky to get 4-5 pair for that let alone 15. I don't like the bamboo for under size 3, seems like they will snap in half.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  12:07:33 PM  Show Profile
I love the bamboo knitting needles. I have been replacing my old ones with these.
They are more expensive; but I find the knitting easier and fasster. pinkroses. I too have carpanl tunnel sym. and arthirits every where.
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2006 :  1:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
BAMBOO! I will go out of my way to buy bamboo needles! The metal ones make a scratchy sound that hurts my teeth everytime the yarn slides over them.

'
Be thou diligent to know the state of thy flocks, and look well to thy herds. Proverbs 27:23
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2006 :  08:32:39 AM  Show Profile
I just have to chime in on this topic. Since I work with fiber as a business I do tell my customers that when working with natural fibers they will find the wood or bamboo needles not to split the yarn as much as the metal needles (knitting and crocheting). It may be alittle bit more costly but the joy of working with them it well worth it. I am also not a fan of the glass needles, while very pretty they just are not practical. The sound and the coldness of the glass does not in my eyes equal the price. I also had a client drop a needle and it chipped, she was less then happy. I have an artist freind who makes handturned chopsticks and they have worked well for knitting needles too. Keep those needles busy and stay warm.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
htpp://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
htpp://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Bamboo Knitting Needles Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page