Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 HOW do you keep your pets from eating the yarn??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic HOW do you keep your pets from eating the yarn?? Next Topic  

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  04:57:23 AM  Show Profile
I am doing some crochet and knitting projects, BUT Elvis the kitten just LOVES the yarn. He constantly is pawing it, and eating it, or at least trying to eat it
I have given him his own little ball of yarn, but guess he likes mine better!

What to do about that, other than me sitting in my diningroom with the door closed??

(Only Elvis is a black kitten :) )

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  06:53:08 AM  Show Profile
Sam (my orange tabby) is the same way! He knows he isn't allowed to, so he tries to sneak...and then look at me to see if I'm looking...
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  07:13:14 AM  Show Profile
Yup, Elvis does that too. He just KNOWS I don't want him to, but he just does it anyway, :D
Guess it is cat behavior, LOL!!
ANd then he looks at me with those eyes and my heart just melts, aaawww LOL

my new BLOG
Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  07:22:04 AM  Show Profile
I'm thinking you could put the yarn in some kind of plastic carton or bucket with a hole in the lid for the yarn to come out - that wouldn't protect the part you're knitting but would protect the ball of yarn. I've done that to keep the yarn from getting all dirty if I'm knitting in the car - I'm always dropping it on the car floor.
Sue in Richland WA
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  08:04:33 AM  Show Profile
It's not necessarily a "cat thing". I've 4 that don't bother it, but if you do have a yarn eater, by all means make something like this http://mypeoplepc.com/members/lpn1993/Lori/id9.html and keep your unattended yarn covered up. If it gets ingested it can mess up their intestines and result in expensive surgery or even death.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  08:12:41 AM  Show Profile
Guess I'd better clarify: He doesn't really EAT it, he nibbles on the thread that comes from the ball. So he doesn't swallow any of it. But thanks anyways :)
I think I'd better put the ball in some kind of container indeed.

Oh and I never keep the material on my couch! I take it with me in the diningroom where my puter is. It has a door so he can't come in LOL!!

And when he plays with his own little ball of yarn he just carries it around like a trophee :D

my new BLOG

Edited by - dutchy on Aug 22 2008 08:13:42 AM
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  08:57:46 AM  Show Profile
yarntainer, good solution

http://hectichousehold.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  10:34:50 AM  Show Profile
Marian:
Bonnie is so right. Other gross things can happen too. I don't want to be too descriptive, but my cat ate a long piece of yarn one night without me seeing her. Well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The next day, when she used the litter box, things stayed connected (if you know what I mean). It was gross. The grossest part was detaching it (the piece of yarn) from the cat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to take her to the vet to be sure all the yarn was out. I never leave out my yarn anymore.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

MarySueK
True Blue Farmgirl

96 Posts

Susan
Richland WA
96 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  11:37:45 AM  Show Profile
Yuck! That reminds me of when my dog ate a plastic bag. He was all frantic and running around because this thing was hanging out of him. Who had to come to the rescue? Mom (ME!) of course. Everyone else was yelling and pointing. Soooo gross.
Sue in Richland WA
Go to Top of Page

Nigella
True Blue Farmgirl

386 Posts

Nigella
Chimacum WA
USA
386 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  11:43:31 AM  Show Profile
I've seen a.... I guess you could call it a yarn-bell... in the issue of Vouge Knitting out this month. It looked like a piece of pottery made into a bell shape with a hole in the top. Very cool lookin' thing. My cat is always after rubber bands, yarn, string, for some reason those things just look so tastey! I've had to give my kitty a little squirt of water to keep her away from the yarn ball :( haven't had a problem since though. I worked as a Veterinary Assistant for a while so I'm super cautious!

Oh my goodness Marly what a story!

-------------------------
If the ways is long
Let your heart be strong
Keep right on 'round the bend
Though you're tired and weary
Still journey on to your happy abode
Where all that you love
And are dreaming of
Will be there at the end of the road.
-Laura Ingalls Wilder
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  1:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
Dutchy, I have the same problem X 3. It doesn't do any good to contain the yarn because they like to catch my yarn when it
m-o-v-e-s. I've been just picking them up and putting them on the floor - gently at first, firmer as time goes on - and they eventually get the message. If I really need to get some work done, I baracade (sp?) myself in the bedroom.

Nigella, great idea about the squirt bottle! I used to do that to keep my cats from going out the door. That hasn't been a problem - although one of them is starting to test me on it again - so I forgot about that little ploy. It would be great for keeping them away from the yarn/embroidery/etc. FYI: It works pretty well on husbands too!

My immediate "problem" is our boy, Chessie, who likes to lay on/between my arms when I'm working on the computer - like right now! He's so sweet laying there that I don't have the heart to move him.

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311
Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  1:20:44 PM  Show Profile
That is what Elvis does too! Trying to catch the yarn that moves, silly cat :D

Ah well, Guess I just HAVE to go to my puter room/dining room when I wanna crochet or knit :).

After all he is the KING of the house.....he thinks :D :D

my new BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Homespun Livin
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Brenda
Louisiana
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  2:41:30 PM  Show Profile
Marly! The same thing happened to one of my kitties. Only it wasn't yarn, it was a cord from the mini blind he had chewed off!! The part that runs through the slats. Yep, I too had to pull it out because he was having fits. Luckily, it was not tangled in his intestines so it came right out. Must be very careful when having to do this, cause sometimes if you pull and it doesn't come out easily it means it is tangled inside them. I have all my blinds raised up now so they can look out the window, but I really need to take them down and just have curtains. You pretty much have to baby proof your home as if you have little human toddlers running around don't ya?

"Love one another."
Go to Top of Page

frolicnfibers
True Blue Farmgirl

668 Posts

Diana
White City Oregon
USA
668 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  2:54:53 PM  Show Profile
I had a dog, Loki (that means "mischief" in Norweigian) who used to eat anything. She ate a plate of raw pork chops, a tube of preparation H, a hole in our wall to wall carpet, and a red sock...which was undoubtedly the scariest coming out. Not yarn, but definitely a gross animal story :) Sorry, I just had to share!

Diana

Please come visit my animals and my Etsy store on my new blog!
http://www.frolicnfibers.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  5:17:54 PM  Show Profile
Brenda:
When my cat Zoe ate the yarn, thankfully I just pulled and out it came. BUT- other things came out too (poop)!!!!!!!!! Totally gross!!!!! I agree with the baby proofing. Yes indeed!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

LivingWell4You
True Blue Farmgirl

1411 Posts

Karen
Hillsboro MO
USA
1411 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  7:32:33 PM  Show Profile  Send LivingWell4You a Yahoo! Message
The strangest thing I'd ever heard of was a dog who ate drywall. When we got Gus I got a book on raising labs (he's a lab mutt but I wasn't sure just how much lab would be in his personality so I wanted to be prepared). The author said she had one dog that ate her drywall. I thought that was the strangest thing ever. Guess what? We have about 4 spots on our walls that have drywall holes chewed in them. It turns out that GUSSIE is the strangest thing ever!

God bless -
Karen
Farmgirl Sista #311
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic HOW do you keep your pets from eating the yarn?? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page