Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Material girl has questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Material girl has questions Next Topic  

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  11:20:36 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
No, I still can't sew. But now I have enough material to open a store! When our friend, Mike, lost his mother a few years ago, she left a stash of vintage material. It was headed for a dumpster. Being the non-wasteful farmgirl I've always been, my dh and I laundered it(a little musty smelling from storage in the attic) and I've been taking it a sackful at a time to the farm with me and laying it out on the grass in the sun to air out more. I've rolled it up, tied it and displayed it in a very large wicker basket at the antique mall(it doesn't all fit in there).

Most of it is from 33 to 37 inches wide and anywhere from 6 feet to 17 feet in length. I kept two pieces that I like(would like to have an apron from each one, just to remember this adventure by). I've spent a lot of time on this project, for a person who can't sew a stitch!

Question 1: Why did she buy such long material?
Question 2: Is it too narrow to make an apron from?
Question 3: Did I waste my time doing this? There really don't seem to be a lot of women in my area who sew.
Here's what it looks like:

The rooster and the blueberry pieces are the ones I like-love those roosters!

Farmgirl Sister #50

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?"
'Br.Dave Gardner'

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  11:25:25 AM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
I dont think you made a mistake in getting it.Maybe she bought it with the intentions of using it, or maybe she got it at a really good price and couldnt pass it up, LOL? If its too narrow you can always sew it together. If you decide to get rid of any of it, let me know, I'd gladly buy or barter with ya.

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  12:01:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
I think you are probably right about her getting a good deal on it, Amanda. She made everything they all wore. And I didn't buy it from Mike, I'm just selling it in the mall for him. He's done so much for us with the farmhouse that I just wanted to do this one thing for him. I sold two train sets she had stored away. Heavens only knows what else may be in there.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

Firemama
True Blue Farmgirl

1731 Posts

Amanda
Medical Lake WA
USA
1731 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  12:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Send Firemama a Yahoo! Message
LOL, Well I hope you are able to get it all sold at the mall. No doubt someone will come and and scoop it up, just like she did. ; )

Mama to 2
FarmGirl# 20

People can only make you feel inferior with your permission, and you dont have my permission......

http://myfarmdreams.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  12:35:06 PM  Show Profile
Janice,
What you have there is a lot of material. The like kind of fabric could be cut into squares for a quilt. But if someone could really sew, not me and I guess not you, there must be endless possibilities. That tall and narrow thing is kind of strange. A lot of tall and thin people in her family??
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  12:44:17 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Maybe she was buying remnants or end of the bolt material. None of them are tall. Or thin-LOL! She was quite a busy bee in her time. When Mike and his older brother were in high school, they got off the bus one day to find a couple of truckloads of lumber in the side yard. When Mike asked his mom what was going on, and why the wood, she said to him: "you and your brother are going to build a second story on the house!" Poor Mike answered "Mom! I've never done anything like that at all!" His mom responded: "Well, don't you think it's time you learned?" And they did. She also did that with car repair manuals - he got a new one every year for Christmas and eventually, he could repair any kind of car. :D

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  1:31:08 PM  Show Profile
Janice,
I love the piece that has the red design and the gold apple or pear or whatever that is on it. If you decide to put it out here I'd be willing to buy it and send postage to get it to me. Let me know.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

"Take a lesson from the teakettle, though up to its
neck in hot water...it sings!"

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  1:46:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Denise- do you mean the material next to my blueberry one? I think the gold thing is a flower. The one with the darker red stripes and blue leaves? That one is still at home-I can check on the measurement and unfold it and take a better picture for you and post it on Monday. I can see it's 35 inches wide, but I can't see how long. I'd have to weigh it to see what shipping would be. I can see that the price is $4.00.

Farmgirl Sister #50

'Br.Dave Gardner'
Go to Top of Page

yarnmamma
True Blue Farmgirl

4247 Posts

Linda
Clarks Summit PA
USA
4247 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:27:08 PM  Show Profile  Send yarnmamma a Yahoo! Message
wow..I am so glad that you didn't let it all get wasted. I think there will be lots of women who will make good use of alot of the fabric.
good luck!

Jesus was a feminist!
farmgirl #71 Linda in PA
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:37:11 PM  Show Profile
Some really nice old kitchen prints in there. Standard width of cotton material used to be between 33-37 inches; fabric is measured in yards lengthwise, so what you have are 2 yds (6 ft) to 5 2/3 yds (17 feet) -- probably not unusual for someone who did alot of home sewing to purchase these lengths. 2 yds is a good amount for an apron, I'd think.

Hope you find buyers, here or at the mall. Glad it didn't get tossed into the dumpster!

katie

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

DairySue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sue
Connecticut
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:49:02 PM  Show Profile
Wow! That is a great bunch of fabric. Of course, I never saw a bunch of fabric, it didn't think was great.

Question 1: Why did she buy such long material? She probably bought end of bolt remnants. 17 feet is 5 + yards. I don't think that is really long. You'd need a longer length of fabric if it is a narrow width.
Question 2: Is it too narrow to make an apron from? I don't think so.
Question 3: Did I waste my time doing this? There really don't seem to be a lot of women in my area who sew. I don't think you wasted your time. Fabric collectors would love some of those fabrics. There are some cool vintage looking fabrics there. You could try to sell online too.

Sue in CT
http://frumsglassmenagerie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:49:36 PM  Show Profile
Janice:
Wow!!!!! You could do a lot with that much material.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

melanie47601
True Blue Farmgirl

1949 Posts

Melanie
Boonville IN
USA
1949 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:58:04 PM  Show Profile  Send melanie47601 a Yahoo! Message
WOW Janice! You have some really cool lookin old fabrics there. I'm not much of a seamstress either, but I'm learning.
Maybe you could open an etsy shop and sell some of them there.

Melanie

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt within the heart. Helen Keller "http://wheelsarealwaysturning.blogspot.com/ ~shop~ http://www.brokenin.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

Georgia Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

212 Posts

Denise
Atlanta GA
USA
212 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  3:58:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Georgia Girl an AOL message
I sent you an email

~Denise~
Proud Farmgirl Sister #113

http://mybigcityfarm.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  4:38:15 PM  Show Profile
Hey Janice I sent you an email about the fabric I mentioned earlier. I think there are two Denise's on here.

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9364 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9364 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  4:31:18 PM  Show Profile
bump

Denise
farmgirl sister #43

www.torisgram.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  3:56:24 PM  Show Profile
Since i do sew , I can answer those questions. when you are a sewer you can never have enough fabric!!!! hehehehehehehe and the weird sizes maybe because she had used some already and those are the leftover pieces. and you did not do the wrong thing by cleaning it up and selling it. Sewers would love to get their hands on it. maybe selling it online is the best way you will get a lot of responses I think.!!!! Beverley

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
http://bevsdoggies.googlepages.com/
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  10:21:56 AM  Show Profile
Wow, massive treasure. What fun to see all those old timey patterns and bits and pieces. I know when I was a kid, fabric was sold in bolts that were 36 inches wide. I don't remember when they switched over to a larger width. That first picture with the old timey looking turquoise and gray made me think of my childhood, it's like old smock apron material I feell like I've seen that one before....

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Material girl has questions Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page