Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic quilting question Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  10:28:02 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
for those of us who dont have the space to lay out a quilt or to put up a quilting frame is there a way to mke a full or queen sized quilt? can the be qulted in squares and them put together.
peace connie in alaska

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  09:40:29 AM  Show Profile
Connie, they can! I have some books by Georgia Bonesteel about lap quilting which is what you are looking for. Maybe you can check and see if they carry any of her books at the library! If they don't I can e-mail you some of the pages that you need!

Monica
Farmgirls Rule!

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

quilt8305
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Mary
Spokane WA
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  09:41:25 AM  Show Profile
There is a great book titled Machine Quilting In Sections by Marti Mitchell. It tells you several different ways to quilt sections of the quilt and then put the quilted sections together. This might be the answer for you.

Mary

Peace cannot be kept by force. It can only be achieved by understanding. Albert Einstein
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  11:36:38 AM  Show Profile
Also look for a book called Block by Block and one called Divide and Conquer. And Cut, Sew, Quilt as you Go by Leisure Arts. Do a search on Amazon you'll find plenty to choose from.

Happy Quilting,

Marcia

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  12:01:50 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thanks so much! i will check for these books at the library. that is one thing i dont have to go to town for as they will bring them out each month when the mobile library comes to our mountain! yipppeeee! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  12:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Hey Connie, you can also just quilt it in a hoop on your lap. It's very portable and the hoops don't cost too much.
Teresa Sue

Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  8:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
if i use a hoop do i just do one square at a time then sew them together? this isnt something i am gonna do today but hope to start this winter. our winters are long so i should have plenty of time lol. peace connie in alaksa
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  10:35:27 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by eskimobirdlady

if i use a hoop do i just do one square at a time then sew them together?

You can but I don't. When I hand quilt I use a small, portable hoop and hold it in my lap. I do everything from wall hanging size to queen size that same way.

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  07:32:11 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
marcia the problem i am trying to work out is how to lay out such abig item when the only place i have bigger than 2ft by 3 ft (florr space lol) is my bed! i have a quilt top that my motheer in law made that iw ould love to finish but cant lay it out to put the batting and back together with it. suggestions??? peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  11:43:40 AM  Show Profile
Some place with several big tables you can push together. Church basement? Senior center? Most quilt shops have a place they might let you use to do that. Or do it in sections or blocks. Whatever you can work out.

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2008 :  12:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i guess i coudl put a big tarp down on the floor of our friends shop lol. most of the people i know live in tiny cabins with not much more space than we have lol. i will have to check out the quilt shops in town, thanks for the suggestion. i have avoided them because i didnt think there was anyway for me to quilt here. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic quilting question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page