Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 So this is what I want..nothing much!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic So this is what I want..nothing much! Next Topic  

LouisvilleMom
True Blue Farmgirl

246 Posts

Kathryn
Louisville KY
USA
246 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  8:28:09 PM  Show Profile
I really do not want a working farm because it is truly a 24/7/365 job. I admire those who do it and support my local farmers as much as I can but I really would just like to be self-sustaining more than anything.

I would love 5-15 acres with a farmhouse built from other buildings because new buildings do not have that history and personality you get from older ones. My husband wants a SIPS home because they are so energy efficient. Two stories with a basement and of course a full wrap porch. The house itself does not need to be a huge "McMansion" just efficient in use of space. I don't want to clean 5000 square feet. If we are in Texas I would like a pool or a pond that doubles as a pool. With TX heat and four boys that will be as necessary as a roof! It is also necessary for me to have an office with my own bathroom where the lid does NOT go up (like they put it up anyway). Living with 5 guys....a gal needs her space! Also with all that free sun we definitely want solar in TX and rain barrels everywhere to water my huge organic garden (no green thumb yet but I am willing to learn!).
I would like to have neighbors within walking distance as my kids are extremely social and would be very sad without their playmates. Our house right now seems to be the center of the neighborhood. I guess it is because I have the monopoly on boys here and they are social butterflies.

In actuality we have been wanting to move to Idaho for over 10 years but dh has never been able to find that right fit in the way of jobs. His best friend of 25 years lives in Rexburg and he lived in Orofino for awhile.

Oh well we all have to pull out our wishlists every now and then. In reality I live in a cookie cutter house on .20 of an acre(that is 1/5 of an acre ) in Louisville, KY. Don't get me wrong Louisville is lovely but I have just never felt settled here. I really only to when I am in mountain country.

Enough rambling thoughts for now I guess.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  10:13:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Keep dreaming and keep looking! Your dream place is out there somewhere!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  08:35:16 AM  Show Profile
Kathryn, Hello from Orofino ID I have only lived her about 10 years DH family here all their lives. I would think that DH family might know you. You have no Idea how funny it is to see that somebody else know about Orofino.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  11:21:59 AM  Show Profile
Dream, because dream do come true. I'd love to live in Texas. The Hill Country is beautiful!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

bushelnpeck
True Blue Farmgirl

262 Posts

Debbie
Sparks Nv
USA
262 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  12:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Send bushelnpeck an AOL message
I just love a girl who knows what she wants, I have a hard time nailing it down for myself sometimes, never give up on your dreams, it keeps life going...Debbie

Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul and sings the tune without the words and never stops at all
Emily Dickenson
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  2:07:07 PM  Show Profile
Dreams are great aren't they? And the more detailed the better. When I'm having a bad time of things I always close my eyes and go to my dream house. It's always the same. I get out of bed in the morning, put on tea, spend time with God then go out to feed the chickens and put the two horses out in their pasture. Just that little bit of dream will ease my hurts. In the mean time we live in the 'burb on about 1/3 of an acre and I make do.

You've come to the right place!

Audrey

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2008 :  10:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Kathryn, I just want something mainly self-sufficient too. :) Where in Texas are you going? Don't give up! You will get it!

~~~~
"The Higher the Hair, The Closer to Jesus!" - Paula Deen

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson
Go to Top of Page

Forrester Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

703 Posts

Ann
Belmont MI
USA
703 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2008 :  8:23:48 PM  Show Profile
Brooke,
How are you doing in Houston right now? We were watching video clips (our TV blew). Hope you and yours are on dry ground.

Ann
Forrester Farm
http://picasaweb.google.com/FORRESTERFARM/FORRESTERFARMWEDDINGS
Go to Top of Page

prairie_princess
True Blue Farmgirl

613 Posts

Elizabeth
Carpenter WY
USA
613 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  07:15:50 AM  Show Profile
ooh! i know what you mean! it's so exciting to start mapping out your dreams! i'm also researching things that interest me as far as self-sufficiency goes, and i just get so excited! and although it's a bit intimidating to think about trying something new, it's so exciting, too! i'll sit and read my country books and just dream of when i can try all the different things in it....
i lived in rexburg when i was little, but still visit almost every year because i have family there. beautiful area!

Edited by - prairie_princess on Sep 17 2008 07:16:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Alpaca Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

Katy
Fairhope AL
USA
59 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  08:13:19 AM  Show Profile
Looking for your dream farm is part of the fun. Dreaming of what you would love...
I recently posted on our search for a new farm on my blog. Now we have the land and will have to move the current farm. Should be interesting. It's hard to put in pastures when you live 7 hours away. But it's all part of the exciting journey!

Thanks for sharing your dream!
Best,
Katy
Alpaca Farmgirl

Visit me at www.alpacafarmgirl.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Contrary Wife
True Blue Farmgirl

2164 Posts

Teresa Sue
Tekoa WA
USA
2164 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2008 :  11:33:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Contrary Wife a Yahoo! Message
Diana my dh and I love to come down to Orofino country and go fishing.
Kathryn you do need to move to Idaho, we need more Idaho farmgirls, wink,wink.

Teresa Sue
Farmgirl Sister #316
"Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly." The Dalai Lama
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic So this is what I want..nothing much! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page