Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 What Plants/Herbs are Native to Your Region
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic What Plants/Herbs are Native to Your Region Next Topic  

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  12:51:16 PM  Show Profile
I was just wondering what some of you native plants are in your region. I just did an article that will be in the Winter issue of Herb Quarterly on Native plant gardening. It was very interesting to see which plants are native to a specific region.
What plants are native to your region that are colorful? I have phlox here that grows so well- abiet for the powdery mildew, also we have a lot of varieties of milkweed, wineberries and wild raspberries.
Blessings
Kathy of the Enchanted Wood

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
Farmgirl Sister #59
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  5:48:38 PM  Show Profile
We have native honeysuckles. We have them in pink, yellow, red and white. They are beautiful!

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  6:53:28 PM  Show Profile
We have thimble berries, hucklberries, Lots of plum trees Cherry trees and apple trees, black berries and rasberries, fiddle head ferns Lots more but I can't remember the names.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

prairielandherbs
True Blue Farmgirl

690 Posts

Maggie
Iowa
USA
690 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  09:15:03 AM  Show Profile
ooh can't wait to read the article!

honestly, half the time i'm not sure WHAT is native. Iowa is so very, very changed from it's native prairie. I know we have some native kinds of sage and mugwort. mountain mint. i'd really be hard-pressed to say what is TRULY native though.....settlers brought in so many things.
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  11:20:33 AM  Show Profile
We have plums, blackberries, echinica, mullin and I'm sure much more if I think about it. Susie mentioned honeysuckle. Our county furnishes us with weed killer to get rid of honeysuckle and johnson grass. Funny what some of us think of as weeds and others consider the same thing a flower. I bought mullin seed from just reading the discription in a herb catalog. And how medicinal it is. Then I figured out what it is and we have it growing everywhere. I dug some up and put it in my medicinal herb garden. Probably still have the seed that I purchased.
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  7:43:52 PM  Show Profile
Hiya! I did a survey of wild plants at my place last year on the thread http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10025 there are lots more around, depending on how you define the area. The wild Palouse is rare, but rich in variety. Most of it is crop ground now, but there are still wild bits around. My spot is called "scabland". Not a very nice term, and I certainly wouldn't call it that, but it doesn't really qualify as pure Palouse either...too rocky.
OH, add horsemint. Local name, I think.

Are you going to share the article you wrote on your blog? I'd enjoy reading it.

We make a difference. http://huckleberrywine.blogspot.com

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Aug 25 2008 7:44:58 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic What Plants/Herbs are Native to Your Region Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page