Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Hasn't this been a wierd growing season
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hasn't this been a wierd growing season Next Topic  

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  2:22:34 PM  Show Profile
I was reading all the posts about everyone's garden harvests, or should I say lack of. Like many of you, our weather has been unusally cool with fog hanging on longer into the mornings. As a result our tomato production has been pathetic. Even my neighbor who grows dozens of plants barely had any. By July 4th we should be in full swing harvesting dozens a day. Now I have nothing to make spag sauce out of.

Beans, peppers, onions, squash, canteloup, watermelon, pretty much anything that likes warmer weather have not done well either. I've talked with several friends who have the same experience. I'm kinda turning my attention to our sweet potatoes, hoping we get a nice harvest from them and then planning to plant some cool weather seeds. I may try beets again cause we like them so much.

Are you changing your garden plans because of this wierd growing season?

debinmtns
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Debi
Hope Idaho
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  2:25:32 PM  Show Profile
It certainly has been here. Not much of anything here. Hope winter does not come early!

debinmtns #63
http://www.handcraftedncreated.blogspot.com
http://www.abunchofcountryswappingals.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  3:22:11 PM  Show Profile
I'm glad everyone seems to be calling it a "weird" season and it's not just me and my first-timer's garden. I will be doing some careful planning through the winter to get what I think we'll need for next year.
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  3:24:23 PM  Show Profile
I'm in Louisiana. Our tomatoes and okra produced okay at first. But, the growing season here, which usually goes on for a while, stopped abruptly. Surely wierd to me.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  3:53:32 PM  Show Profile
I am getting an abundance of my smaller tomatos like my black and brandywine cherries, sweet 100, sun golds, green grapes etc, but not very many of my slicing size......

I have 26 differnet tomato varieties in my garden this year.
Kim

Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  4:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Same here. Many of my flowers are late to bloom. Zuchinnis and cukes died. String beans not producing. very upsetting.
Connie

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/
Also visit my online store @ www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products, including soaps, salves, salts, lip balms, lotion bars, and much more!
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  03:19:51 AM  Show Profile
Our cantelope and watermelon finally came in last week and this week

the tomatoes have been very slow to turn or when they do its by ones and twos, not the whole vine with bumper crops

I have made 2 canning attempts with the romas but feel really uninspired

beans didn't do very well either

zucchini did great but just didn't produce long enough

peppers? hah. guess i'll have to pick theat one up next year our plants have tiny blossoms, but nothing serious yet

sad to know we'll be turning some garden under to make room for the winter stuff

sad for us, but fun for the chickens!
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  06:50:58 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
what an odd year for everyone! I feel bad for everyone who's garden let you down. I know my mom's garden is in the same boat, while just down the way a bit, my sister's garden produced a bumper crop of everything. It was the first year the soil was worked in my sister's garden.

Perhaps we all need to do a soil test? Maybe we are deficient in some small amount and the soil needs a different amendment? Also- did you get your seeds from a good source? My mom things perhaps she got bad seeds?

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  08:13:05 AM  Show Profile
I had a few tomaotes early but none now that we are in the tomato season. My plants are healthy and some green and lots of blooms. I can see me a couple of months from now covering my tomato plants trying to save them from frost. Peppers are the same. Okra going like gang busters. Squash died. lots of cukes then powder mildew took over. Wierd is right!
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  08:41:51 AM  Show Profile
Alee makes a good point. I know for me I was trying to use up seeds from 2 years ago before I opened the new packets. But, in the end neither did very well. I did take all my old flower seeds and put them in a jar, mixed them up and braodcasted them all over my flower beds - so now I have random patches of sunflowers, cosmos, zinnias, etc., all annuals. Very fun to look out the window and see that burst of color.

So I guess I'll double check the date on the packets and do the same with some seeds - like lettuce, and see what happens.
Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  09:05:49 AM  Show Profile
We started with a very cool spring, in fact it was dubbed "Junuary" instead of June. Then we got some heat, then cool, then heat again and now cool. My beans are late, my tomatoes are late, etc. I have 6 tomato plants with lots of green tomatoes on them. Some are finally starting to ripen.

Anne in Portland, OR

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  09:36:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I hope next year is better! The spring was weird for us here in the west. I like your "Junuary", Anne! That is exactly what it felt like! I had an apple tree outside the window of my old apartment and I think it only produced one blossom because it keep freezing as the buds were forming. Last year, when Nora was born there were tons of gorgeous white blossoms on the tree and I got some great pictures of family holding her with a flowering tree in the back ground.

Next year I am going to start things in the green house and hopefully we will get a more traditional Spring!

Perhaps the bees were confused because of the weird spring and didn't know to wake up in time to pollinate for us! I know I have been hand pollinating my squash but that is more because my second squash plant died and I don't trust the bees to return to the other flower after the male flower dies. LOL

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bfriday
True Blue Farmgirl

125 Posts

Jessica
Miles TX
125 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  5:32:49 PM  Show Profile  Send Bfriday an AOL message
Very strange that we all come from different states and different weather yet our outcome seens to be the same! I have nice looking tomato plants but they aren't producing, squash not doing well, had some peppers produce but not nearly as much as we got last year, corn died, eggplant is nice looking plant but I haven't had one bloom, and okra is doing fair but not producing much either because the fire ants attack the blooms. Very hard year. I have been sad to put so much work and not get any crop. Last year was such a fruitful crop and I really wonder what is up with all our sorry crops this year?! Even at the Farmer's Market there just isn't much because everyone seems to be having a down year! I don't like it!!! Hope we pull out of this slump and next year we all have bumper crops!!

Farmgirl Sister #188
Go to Top of Page

SusieQue
True Blue Farmgirl

603 Posts

Susie
Greenville Ga
Georgia
603 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  6:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Here in Georia, its been hot and dry. This has been our worst garden ever. We usually get more tomotaoes than we need but not this year! We are getting ready to turn it under and get ready to plant some turnip greens.

"A mother is someone you never outgrow your need for"
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  6:59:03 PM  Show Profile
All of my early crops did wonderfully. In fact, my peas are still producing and I have new ones on the kitchen window sill waiting to go in! Watermelon and cantaloupe are doing ok; not great, but ok. Pumpkins, cukes and zucs are doing really well. Carrots and potatoes are just starting to come along. Beans are pathetic. But, like the rest of you, it's my tomato and pepper crops that are the worst and most disappointing. Plants look wonderful, but they were all late to bloom and most blooms are not setting fruit. I do have a few tomatoes now that are about the size of a ping pong ball or smaller but, still no peppers. I'm thinking we're going to have an early winter here. This summer has been the coolest in the 10 years I've been here with 4 nights during the summer getting down to 36 or 38. That's not normal, even for here. The cherry tomatoes that I have in pots on my paver patio are doing well. I'm thinking that the patio area is a warmer micro climate in the yard and the cooler summer nights are why I'm having problems in the big garden.

So, while I think I know what's wrong with my garden, I can't understand why you gals in the warmer climates are having the same issue. I could be wrong about my garden and maybe there's something in the general overall climate causing these same problems nation wide? Then, again, I could be really reaching on that one.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  07:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Deffinatly a wierd summer. My poor garden doesn't know what to do. I am finally getting zucchini, which is about 1 month later than ususal. I have lots of green tomatos that are starting to lighten their color of green and we get 2 days of rain- go figure! On the positive side I am having a bumper crop of peppers and we just dug up 67 lbs of potatos. I also tried a new variety of squash for this year, it is called Uchiki Kuri and is a hubbard type. I hope it tastes good because it is producing lots and growing about a foot each day! I am with you Lisa- I think it is going to be and early winter and a wild one too.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  09:05:33 AM  Show Profile
I think I'll plant a few rows of root crops, bush beans, lettuce and peas this weekend. So Cal has a long growing season and maybe I'll have better luck this time. A lot of our store are having sales on seeds and I was able to pick up several that were 3 for $1.00
Go to Top of Page

Txfarmgal
True Blue Farmgirl

585 Posts

AK

USA
585 Posts

Posted - Aug 23 2008 :  08:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Well it's been weird here but we are in TX where it's HOT. I have mine in containers on the porch and my tomatoes are doing great. The peppers both jalapeno and bell are not doing well at all. I am just now seeing a small bell growing and 3 jalpeno. Not sure what is wrong. The plants seem to be growing.

AngiKay-farmgirl sister #301
www.angikay.etsy.com
Heart of TX chapter
Be strong and Courageous. Jos. 1:9

Texas 4H! http://texas4-h.tamu.edu/
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  03:26:37 AM  Show Profile
Our tomatoes finally produced what we needed for eating and canning. but same as with just about everything this year, when they ripened, they came on fast and ended fast

This will be canning attempt #3, and that should do us for the rest of the year

Beans, watermelon and cantelope have all been turned back under

Meanwhile, the raspberries continue to ripen by the cupfull each day. They'll continue on until the hardest frost kills the last berry.
Go to Top of Page

nampafarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

494 Posts

Kim
Nampa ID
USA
494 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  06:58:58 AM  Show Profile
My crooknecks are finally starting to produce and the slicer tomatoes are finally coming on board with the cherry types! My neighbor brought me a large bag of green beans so I think I will make Dilly Beans this weekend! Yeah, finally something in enough quantity to can!

Kim
Farmgirl Sister # 302
Go to Top of Page

chicken necker
True Blue Farmgirl

509 Posts

Sherry
Eastern Shore Maryland
USA
509 Posts

Posted - Aug 25 2008 :  08:45:00 AM  Show Profile  Send chicken necker an AOL message
And I thought it was just me! This was my first real garden ever (raised bed, anyway) I tried to do everything organic and just right. It seemed that as soon as I got everything in, the weather here on the Eastern Shore turned to hurricane season! We got record breaking amounts of pouring rain for weeks. My cuks were round and perfectly inedible! My entire "harvest" amounted to 1 bell pepper, 4 jalapenos, 14 potatoes, 1 onion and loads of basil. I'm still getting 1 maybe 2 tomatoes every other day out of 14 plants and they are not very big. Sweet and tasty but hardly more than a mouthful. Phooey
Maybe better luck next year.

FarmGirl Sister #123

Crafty Bay FarmGirls Chapter

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Hasn't this been a wierd growing season Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page