paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
social springs community Louisiana
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  05:57:00 AM  Show Profile
My dh and I are at odds about how to do our vegetable garden. He says that we should plant it on the flat, as he can always get a tractor in there to disk it up, and also that planting on the flat is much less costly. I say that, because of where we have our garden (the lowest, sandiest place on the Plantation) a raised bed garden would be better. No matter what, I still have to bring in dirt and compost, either to raise the land or to fill the boxes; a tractor won't be necessary if the area is done properly, and that the initial cost of the boards and other items used in building the beds will be a one time thing and pay for itself in the long run; and I'll have a better chance of keeping the weeds and dratted pigweed at bay. I plan on using cedar boards, possibly some recycled watering troughs whose bottoms have rusted out, and a claw foot bath tub that's sitting in my junk pile for root veggies. Has anyone done both and found one to be better than the other? Or does anyone just have any thoughts, comments or advice? I'd really like to figure this out by this fall so I can prep my garden one way or the other!

from the hearts of paradise...

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  06:37:50 AM  Show Profile
Julie, I have done both and I have to say the raised beds are soooooo much easier to maintain. When I gardened on the flat, I fought with weeds ALL the time and the ground got hard packed from walking on it and made it even harder to hoe or pull the weeds out.

I have had raised beds for three years and wouldn't go back for anything, now. Weeds are a minimal problem. The planting soil is never stepped on so, it's always nice and loose. I had laid heavy black fabric all across the garden, including where the beds were built, so no weeds have come up through the beds at all. It was the only way to win against the bindweed. I cover the soil, after planting, with grass clippings and that keeps down any weed seeds that might get in there; for the most part. When weeds do sprout and grow in the beds, they're a piece of cake to pull; even if you don't get around to it for several days.

The only thing I didn't do right was to put straw or something down in the walkways to cover the black fabric and protect it from the sun's rays. It's deteriorating, now. I will fix it soon, but a few weeds here and there in the walkways is really no big deal as long as you don't let them flower.

If you do build raised beds, make sure you leave enough room between beds to get a wheelbarrow or whatever you use to haul dirt, compost, etc through. I didn't use good wood like cedar. I could only afford pine mill-ends from our local mill ($20/truckload). I had lined all of my beds with black plastic before I put the dirt in so the wood would last longer.

The soil in raised beds warms faster in the spring. Whoops, your down south. I guess that probably isn't much of a concern for you. Of course, I amend the soil with fresh compost every spring and rotate my crops.

I have pictures on my blog of my garden from earlier this season, if that helps. I'm going to take more in a few days to show the progress.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  06:46:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I want to do raised beds too, but there is no way I am going through all that work here at my rental house. I can't wait to have my own land!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Put your pin on the farmgirl map! www.farmgirlmap.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  06:51:53 AM  Show Profile
I have both the smaller garden is raised beds the larger is workable with a tractor with a little hitch I had DH cut some trees and make sides to three sides to attach the fencing to keep out the rabbits and taller fence to keep out the deer. On one end that the tractor can open has a tree but with some picking and pullen it comes away and makes it so the tractor can get to the garden with all the compost and dirt tilling or what ever I think it needs. Besides once you till the amount of the dirt doubles and you need to have some thing to contain it so I thought a dead tree or two would work.

Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  07:06:12 AM  Show Profile
Ooh, Lisa! I liked the bed you did with what looks like large tree limbs! And we chose cedar because my brother-in-law works for a company who sells sawmill supplies, and he's able to get us wood a little bit cheaper than the home stores and lumber yards. However, if I thought he could get pine ends even cheaper, that may really be an option. And thanks Diana, for your input too. It's an option that I'll be looking into as well. Hey, Alee! You don't have to have BIG beds for your raised garden. Get you some flower pots or old watering troughs that can be easily removed when you move. It may not be a HUGE garden, but it will still be something! I got faith in you, girl. And now, I have a new mission to find you at least ONE thing you can raise a tomato plant in! Gotta go junkin' now.

Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  07:08:11 AM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for starting this thread. I have been thinking about raised bed gardening for next year as our soil here is sooooo poor I can't even get flowers to grow. I planted some hollyhock plants and a bleeding heart plant this year and they haven't grown at all and are slowly dying. We used to garden 20 years ago and then after we moved here we quit. I really want to get back to it and was thinking the raised beds are my only chance.
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  07:15:06 AM  Show Profile
Lisa did a great job of summing it up for raised beds! Right now I have both and I fight the weed battle every day in the "Flat" garden area! When we move the decision has already been made to make the whole garden raised beds even though the inital cost will be larger. Another reason for raised beds is to help with the critter problem- moles and gophers to be exact. This last spring we expanded the size of the garden and moved our existing beds to the new area. When we did this we first placed chicken wire in the bottem of the beds, then covered that with news paper as a weed barrier. I am glad to say that the moles have stayed our of my boxes this year!!! Unfortunatly the mole problem in the rest of the garden is out of control, we have been chasing this guy around all summer with no success. He has killed some peppers, celery, tomatos, beans, and brocoli by tunneling through the roots. It just makes me want to cry when I go out to the garden and find my beautiful pepper plant loaded with peppers fallen over because the mole thought he had to tunnel there! So my vote would be for raised beds.

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  07:25:05 AM  Show Profile
Lillian - Thanks for the idea about the chicken wire. I'll definitely use that! I've got your mole's cousin racing around my yard right now - my dogs think it's great sport to chase him (even though he's underground) and I can't tell you how 'spongy' my garden area is now. He's very savvy when it comes to traps -- I'm getting ready to play Elmer Fudd with him -- if I can just get dh to turn loose of that shotgun, I will!

Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  07:47:17 AM  Show Profile
Julie- we have stalked him with the shotgun, I have stomped his trails, and he just burys the traps and laughs at us. I will get the last laugh though. When garden season is over my mighty hunters (dogs) will be turned lose into the garden and not be allowed to leave unless they have a mole in exchange! Abby is so dedicated to hunting that she will hunt her prey until she gets it!

Lillian
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  08:07:01 AM  Show Profile
We have both raised beds and flat. The raised beds are 4'X4' and sides are 12 inches high. Some things grow better in the ground, some years. No set rules. Last year I planted onions and potatoes on the flat and didn't harvest a thing. This year did the onions on the flat but built up the row. Excellent crop. Did potatoes in the boxes. Better than last year. We have done the wood frame boxes for over 15 years and were about to start replacing rotten boards for the third time. But decided to go with cement blocks. Put down the wire, weed barrier, then potting soil and compost. Very expensive but grows stuff like crazy and no weeds, no bending over. Since our garden is our hobby, our entertainment, and most of our food, the cost is worth it. And, the cememt blocks will never have to be replaced!
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  08:15:47 AM  Show Profile
OOh! I like the idea of the blocks, to. If nothing else, dh can use them again, if the raised beds don't work out. Do any of y'all fence in your gardens as well? I'm thinking it'll be a must do for us, as our chickens love to eat our new seedlings!

Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  08:38:06 AM  Show Profile
I have two raised beds. They are 4x8 feet with a "walk" between them. It's all grass but I'm going to put down plastic to kill the grass and then put in some wood chips. We used old fence rails that were already on the property. I also put down some wire on one bed but not the other. The stuff I bought was soooo expensive, it wasn't chicken wire but I can't remember what it's called. Then I just layered shredded newpaper right down on the short cut grass and layered up from that with some organic peat and top soil. Around my plants on top I put down doubled shredded straw. Weeds have not been a problem. I think I'll have hubby add another this fall for next spring. I need to start a compost heap as well. I think I will do a plot of sweet corn on the flat though and maybe some pie pumpkins. I planted acorn squash/cucumber/patty pan but none of it did very well this year and the vines spread out way into the yard anyway. I may try the cukes going up through a tomato trellis next year and see how that works.
Go to Top of Page

gramadinah
True Blue Farmgirl

3557 Posts

Diana
Orofino ID
USA
3557 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  10:53:10 AM  Show Profile
[http://i524.photobucket.com/albums/cc325/dlpoulton53/2008_0814flowers0018.jpg[/IMG]

This is my kitchen garden corn sunflowers strawberries tomatoes squash potatoes and some flowers. All is in oak barrels and 5 gallon buckets and wire fencing with trash bags in for the potatoes

I really like this garden
Diana

Farmgirl Sister #273
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  11:27:47 AM  Show Profile
Yes, my garden is fenced for deer or I wouldn't have a garden. This year we put up construction fencing (the orange stuff) to extend the chickens "free range" area and we used one side of the garden as their fence boundry. When the garden was first being planted this spring we noticed that there were no slugs on the one side of the garden- the chickens had eaten them before they made it to the garden. So we bought more construction fencing and ran it all of the way around the outside of garden fence and the bug population has really decreased, plus the chickens know garden = food and will follow me around the garden waiting for me to throw a goodie over the fence into their area.

Lillian

PS-the chickens are counting the days until they are allowed back into the garden.
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  11:28:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Diana, I love it!

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  12:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Julie-

To make the most of my growing land until I can do all raised beds, I am going to go ahead and plant on the flat. But I am going to do my version of 'borderless lasagna gardening'. So hopefully by the time spring rolls around I will have weed free hills all ready for planting!!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  12:27:24 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
We have both & I agree with the others go RAISED!!! They are so much easier to maintain & work with!!! Especially for my body.
How about asking for 1 for Christmas, another Mother's Day, birthday, anniversary....wow, that's already 4 beds.
We have 2- 4'X25, 2-4X8' & 1-4x4. But next year there will be 2 more large ones for strawberries & hopefully 1 more large one for other veggies. This year I'm using pvc pipe over part of a large bed with plastic for extended season salad greens.

Thank you gals for the glimces into your gardens. There is so much pleasure in gardens!!!

ps-we usually do potatoes in 3 sides of pallets & as they start to grow add hay. Easy to harvest a bunch of clean tattos.

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many, MRET & Wellness Coach

http://herbalmommasda.blogspot.com/

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  2:43:16 PM  Show Profile
Kristine: Fear not. That's exactly how I got my chicken coop! Gotta LOVE those Home Depot and Lowe's gift cards! And, AMEN to the back issues. I keep trying to tell dh that the hoe really doesn't fit my hand very well, but he just refuses to listen!!!! I also like the pallet idea. I just may try it!

Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  3:14:51 PM  Show Profile
Julie, I have not heard "the hoe dosen't fit my hand" except from my Mom. Brings back memories. Mom and Dad have been gone for a very long time but think of Dad every time I plant and harvest, Mom when I can or "put up" the harvest. He brought stuff in by the buckets full. Mom wouldn't say a word, just go to work with her pareing knife.
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  3:16:13 PM  Show Profile
Julie,
Congrates on the chicken coop & happy _______, whatever it was!!!

Blessings,

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  4:36:06 PM  Show Profile
Hi Julie:
We have three long raised beds. I'd have to agree on you with the raised beds. Less weeding for us, for sure.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

paradiseplantation
True Blue Farmgirl

1277 Posts

julie
USA
1277 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  09:43:17 AM  Show Profile
Okay. So the consensus is -- RAISED BEDS! Ooh, poor dh. I'm going to go to the planning board and start working on a layout. The only thing I know for sure is the clawfoot bathtub (that I'll use for root veggies) will go in the center. I'll need to paint it -- what do y'all think about pink??????:)

Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  11:52:38 AM  Show Profile
Pink sounds wonderful!!! Gotta love farmgirl attitude.

Blessings,

Farmgirl Sister #97
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Aug 20 2008 :  10:10:26 PM  Show Profile
We have both but just put in the raised beds this year. We have 3 beds that are 4 x 8 and 12" deep with paths between. The rest of our garden is flat and HUGE. The raised beds are so much easier to maintain that we are already planning on converting the whole garden--or as much as I can get--to raised beds. It is alot of work in the beginning but DH even thinks it works better. Good luck!

Marcia

PS: Love the claw foot tub idea. We had one but had to leave it when we moved.

"Nature always has the last laugh." Mrs. Greenthumbs

Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  01:09:52 AM  Show Profile
Raised beds are definitely the way to go. Especially if you have sandy soil. Once they are built and filled all you'll ever have to do is add compost every year.

Alee - I love lasagna gardening. We have horrible soil here with lots of rocks. My flower beds for next Spring are going to be lasagna beds.

Handmade Soap and More! - http://therusticcottage.etsy.com
The Rustic Cottage Blog http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com

PROUD FARMGIRL SISTER #100
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2008 :  08:35:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kay- The soil around here is almost 100% clay. I am hoping that by the time I leave here both the yard and garden will have rich composty soil! :D

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Garden Gate: Previous Topic Raised Beds vs. 'On the Flat' Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page