CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  6:55:03 PM  Show Profile
do any of you have a dug out 'firepit' for cooking on .. at your farm?

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  7:41:15 PM  Show Profile
Do you?

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  8:25:38 PM  Show Profile

yes, yes I do.
Just the other night I was stirring my cauldron of chili over mah fire, dressed like Annie Oakley. What a vision!

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  8:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh Oh and I was burning poopy straw dressed like a Kansan!!!

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  9:22:58 PM  Show Profile
I want one..it is the the "plan"..but don't have one yet.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

BlueApple
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Julia
Oregon
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  05:06:15 AM  Show Profile  Send BlueApple an AOL message
We have a firepit - my husbands pride and joy! LOL But it's just for building a fire and sitting around, not cooking - except maybe s'mores:-)

Julia
BlueApple Farm
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  06:23:09 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
We have a "redneck firepit" leftover from the folks before us. It's just a dugout hole with the dirt piled up around it, and on one side we added some blocks to set a grill on. Nothing fancy, more of an eyesore than anything else! But later we will make a better one.
Go to Top of Page

BlueEggBabe
True Blue Farmgirl

417 Posts

Susan
PA
417 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  06:48:38 AM  Show Profile
Lynn,
best kind of fire pit, I say.
We dig ours out once or twice a year and add more big stones around the border to make it look purty. This year I dug out one side, too and built it up and laid a big grate across so as to grill, or warm a pot of whatever.
Also invested in a cast iron tripod to hang a grill or pot. Haven't used that yet, though.

www.feedsackfarmgirls.blogspot.com
"If more of us valued good food, cheer and song above hoarded gold,the world would be a merrier place."
J.J.R.Tolkien
Go to Top of Page

westfork woman
True Blue Farmgirl

554 Posts

Kennie Lyn
Emmett Idaho
USA
554 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  08:28:29 AM  Show Profile
DH and I built a firepit for our friends. Their place is next the river with irrigated ground around it, so there is no fire danger, at our house we can't burn in the summer. So we built a pit at their house. We went to junk yards looking for metal of some kind to use. At the first place we went to we found parts of a rock crusher, big metal rings. They were so heavy the magnet at the junk yard couldn't pick them up. I though it would cost us a fortune since we were buying them by the pound, but it only cost us $50 for 2 of the rings. They loaded them on our 3/4 ton flat bed pickup, with a big loader. The flat bed went right down onto the frame, and squatted the tires. It was 50 miles home, it was a very long drive. Someone just happedned to be at our friends house with a backhoe, so he rolled them off our pickup, we welded them together, and the backhoe rolled them into the hole. We welder little supports on the inside for a rack, and DH made a very heavy sheet metal cover. The rings are over 3 feet across,and 3 feet deep, it uses a lot of wood. We finished the pit in time for a big party, about 150 people. We cooked a gigantic turkey, weighing in at 47 pounds, and several roasts, beef, buffalo, and pork. Having never cooked a turkey that big before, we put it in 7 hours before dinner. It was completely falling off the bone in 2 and 1/2 hours. We have never gotten a good idea of how hot the thing gets. We put the cover on it after the party, and 2 weeks later opened it up, and there were still live coals. The cover will support a charcoal grill, if we just want a quick meal. It is a very cool thing.

Greetings from the morning side of the hill.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  3:02:30 PM  Show Profile
Do you?

yes .. we have two .. one big'gun .. and one smaller one .. our little town just had a fabulous 'pioneer rendezvous' .. and there was a blacksmith there who is going to make me a tall three leg stand for 'hanging' pots from .. and a smaller iron stand for 'the coffee pot'. i've been collecting antique cast iron ware for about two years now and can hardly wait for my stand to get here! my largest one is a HUGE cauldron .. will probably save that one for when 'company's comin' .. but it will be such fun to just keep a pot of winter soup or stew or chili and COFFEE burnin' all the time!
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Oct 31 2005 :  3:39:06 PM  Show Profile
We have a small one.It is just a dug out hole with big rocks around it.We use it in the summer to make smores.Or to snuggle around and watch.I find watching fire very relaxing.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  09:27:38 AM  Show Profile
has anyonoe here tried making the 'marshmallows' from MJ's book? and then making s'mores over your fire pit? (it's on my list of things to do this autumn!)
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic firepit Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page