dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  04:55:42 AM  Show Profile
My favorite piece of furniture in my home is my cocktail table in the livingroom. I bought it two days before one Christmas (so I would have it to entertain with) in a store, where it looked like it was decorated by Dr. Suess. It had so many things piled up on it, that when I told the salesperson I wanted to buy it, she asked, "Are you sure?" It was delivered the next day in the snow. It is an old Mexican table, painted in distressed celadon green, with a drawer on one side. There are scratches and carvings all over it. Someone even carved their iniials on one side (in hot pink I might add). The top looks like an old, thick wooden floor, that you could actually dance on if you wanted (and, yes, at one party someone did, thanks to tequila). I just love this table. Do you have a special piece of furniture with a story that you love? Please share.

Edited by - dg7954 on Oct 30 2005 04:58:19 AM

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  08:34:52 AM  Show Profile
My couch and my pine round dining table are my favorite pieces. The couch was actually my sister-inlaw's grandmother's couch. It sat in their basement and then in their garage for a long time. She could never figure out what to do with it. At the time it needed new upholstry and pillows, it was done in a dark red crushed velvet that had seen better days. But it has beautiful dark carved feet, rolled arms and a nice rolled back. They gave it to me for nothing and I had it reupholstered and the springs re-tied and it is the most comfortable couch. My dining table was my mom's for many years until finally she wanted something new. She gave it to me for my first apartment. It was covered in a tiger stripped veneer that she had painted an antique red. I had stripped the veneer off by soaking the top and taking an iron to it to loosen the glue and then peeled it off. Underneath was this beautiful pine wood. I sanded and varnished it so the natural color would come through. It has dings and nicks, but it is warm in color. I just love it.

"Second star to the right, straight on till morning" Peter Pan
Go to Top of Page

dg7954
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

Diane
Doylestown pa
USA
129 Posts

Posted - Oct 30 2005 :  4:01:05 PM  Show Profile
Anne, both those pieces sound so great. Don't you feel sometimes that some furniture pieces become like people to you? Just these wonderful friends that live with you and hold stories. Thanks for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  09:33:52 AM  Show Profile
i love 'hand-did' ... home-made ... make-do ... furniture .. i have an olde hoosier made from boxes .. you'd never know it until you looked inside and saw the faint writing .. very primitive looking. and 'one-of-a-kind' .. lovingly made for someone special.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  09:34:59 AM  Show Profile
i also love my old 'hen-laying' box .. it has 12 cubbies and a 'perch' that closes the 'cubbies' .. i keep some of my cookbooks in it .. in my kitchen.
Go to Top of Page

CabinCreek-Kentucky
True Blue Farmgirl

8529 Posts

Frannie
Green County Kentucky
USA
8529 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  09:36:17 AM  Show Profile
another furniture piece that i love ... i got in colorado many years ago .. it is probably turn of the century (or earlier) .. it is a zink-top 'baker's table .. (the rest of it is mellow olde pine) with a HUGE drawer for the flower, bowls and rolling pins.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  09:39:56 AM  Show Profile
I have a little willow chair and table that I have had for years..traded a rug I hooked and some day care to a gal who owned a flower/gift shop for them years ago..I just love willow stuff..most of what I have gone I have kept outside in the garden and over the years have deteriorated, but these I never put outside and they have stayed nice.

Jenny in Utah
Put all your eggs in one basket..and then watch that basket!! Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

verbina
True Blue Farmgirl

231 Posts

randi
n.j
USA
231 Posts

Posted - Nov 01 2005 :  10:36:57 AM  Show Profile
wrong area . got to get over to thankful. sorry guys