Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 teaching a 3 yr old to crochet?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic teaching a 3 yr old to crochet? Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i want to teach my grandson. has anyone tought a child this young? i know in the "olden days" they tought them this young.
peace connie in alaska

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:53:48 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if he'd have the small motor skills needed. If you want to try, I'd go with one of those huge (Q) hooks and some really thick yarn (like rug yarn). My daughter started just two years ago (at 10) and hasn't really stuck with it. We refered to her first chains as the lumpy worms!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:58:46 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
that was my thought to use thick yarn and big hook. i know that he will not be able to do anything "fancy" but i would hope that it would give him a basis to build on later in life, and give him something quiet to do in the cabin while "papa" sleeps during the day to work monday night. do you have any other ideas for something that woudlnt take much space and woulndt make a huge mess? this cabin is tiny and papa is basically in the same room as we are. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  11:19:30 PM  Show Profile
"Sewing" using shoelaces into either cardboard cut-out shapes, or putting two pieces of pre-punched felt together is what we used to do when I taught in a 2-yr old class. I'd start with the cardboard. You can glue pictures of things he likes onto cardboard (old cereal boxes are great for this) and, for longer life, cover with clear contact. Punch holes along the sides and show him how to sew it up. Using shoe laces means no needles to worry about too. After he gets the haang of it, you can poke some holes in felt amd let him do the same thing. He could even make little bags to hold small stuff (like little cars).You are a great grandma!
Sharon

Farmgirl Sister #74

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

sunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

4877 Posts

Wendy
Utah
USA
4877 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  1:35:52 PM  Show Profile  Send sunshine a Yahoo! Message
weaving pot holders is more this ages speed and use a crochet hook to weave the ends together to get him use to holding the hook. Also stringing beads is good at this age pony beads that is just make sure they don't go in the mouth or up the nose.

have a lovely day and may God bless you and keep you safe
Farmgirl Sister #115
my bloghttp://sunshinescreations.vintagethreads.com/
my web store vintage threadshttp://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=79144
Go to Top of Page

Bonne
True Blue Farmgirl

3003 Posts

Bonne
Littleton CO
USA
3003 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  1:40:31 PM  Show Profile
I was knitting at 5. My boy cousins and I crocheted miles of chains at family gatherings~lol
Used regular yarn and medium sized hooks. Just try it~every child is different~have fun!

Jess's(Smoothiejuice)kids were making loom knitting hats at 4.

http://bonne1313.blogspot.com/ BLOG

Edited by - Bonne on Aug 17 2008 1:41:36 PM
Go to Top of Page

electricdunce
True Blue Farmgirl

2544 Posts

Karin
Belmont ME
USA
2544 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  2:54:41 PM  Show Profile
I remember my kids sewing when they were very small, I think if you gave him a fairly big hook and some cotton thread, the thick kind, he'd probably do fine. I remember those tiny fingers being very nimble. I know someone taught me how to crochet when I was five or six and my sister taught me to knit when i was very young too. It certainly can''t hurt to try...

Karin

Farmgirl Sister #153

"Give me shelter from the storm" - Bob Dylan
http://moodranch.blogspot.com
http://domesticnonsense.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  4:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
thank you all for the wonderful ideas and feedback. i will let you know what we end up doing if dustin stays with us while "papa" is on nights. peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic teaching a 3 yr old to crochet? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page