Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 spinning cotton today
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic spinning cotton today Next Topic
Page: of 3

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  2:57:59 PM  Show Profile
It is SOOOO hot out today. Every time I go out even for 15 min to check the animals or hang a load of laundry on the line I am "whooped" when I come back in for an hour..jeesh! So...I was cleaning a little cupboard where I keep spinning fibers..small amounts of things..and ran onto two bags of 100% cotton "blue streak" which has recycled shredded denim in it!! It is awesome stuff that I bought at least 6 years ago..stored in paper bags that it came in...each one is 8 oz. so I have a full pound of the stuff.
I decided that today would be a spinning day....well, and a laundry dya..but they can go together, right? So I have been spinning. It is so nice to sit under the ceiling fan in my living room sanctuary (no tv and it is the no kid zone this summer..they get the family room) and spin and just think. I love it. The heat dosn't seem to bother the kids as much..they have been in and out and watching movies when they need to be inside awhile. It has been just a nice day!!
The only time I had to leave today was to take oldest daughter to her soccer practice this morning in the next town. I went to a couple yard sales while she practiced. Got a neat quilted pillow sham still in the zipper bag, and a stick blender both for only $1 each!
I am making a lasagna for supper..and a nice big green salad and corn on the cob. But not yet. I hate to heat the house up. We have been eating later than normal on these hot days. I don't plan to serve supper until at least 7:30.
I hope you are all having a great day..
what are you spinners spinning????? I put pictures on my blog of the fiber and my wheel.

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Jul 19 2008 3:18:22 PM

farmgirl blessings
True Blue Farmgirl

777 Posts

Lea
TN
777 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  3:32:57 PM  Show Profile
That sounds like a delightful way to spend an afternoon. Spinning has always fascinated me. When I lived in Illinois, there was an old mill where a woman would sit and spin all day. I remember sitting on a wooden bench watching her and the wheel for the longest time. I just love all those old arts. How wonderful that you're keeping it alive.

Oh my, I just popped over to you blog. I love your spinning area. It looks so cozy and peaceful. (Sigh)

Blessings, Lea
www.farmhouseblessings.blogspot.com
www.farmhouseblessings.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  3:36:15 PM  Show Profile
have sent you an email Aunt Jenny.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  4:50:10 PM  Show Profile
Today I had my sewing mojo going but now that you mention it I have been neglecting my cotton and charka. I think I'll take it out and work on it tonight. Now, where did I put that naturally colored mauve cotton? Hmmmmm. *wanders off to the studio mumbling to herself about colored cottons*

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Imagine the view from the top of your dreams

www.getaclew.blogspot.com

Edited by - Cheekyredhead on Jul 19 2008 4:50:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  6:45:52 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
while doing laundry i ahve been dreaming about warping my loom or tryign my hand at spinning some wool by hand (my first attenpt and no instructions lol)! i prob wont get to it tho since i have sooooo much laundry to catch up on. we dont have unlimited water (have to haul it in) and it really gets piled up *sigh* hubby made sure i had about 1000 gallons before he went back to work on monday. wasnt that nice of him? NOT! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  8:20:50 PM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny, The cotton looks very soft! I hope it come out well! I just got a chance to use my drop spindle for the first time this afternoon. My daughter Hannah wanted to play in the little pool this afternoon so I figured it was the perfect time to try it while I watched her and drank iced tea. I keep wondering if I am missing something because it seems fairly easy and very relaxing which is much needed after the crazy week at my house.

Can I ask you though, after you spin it do you soak it in warm water and then squeeze it dry? I have looked online as to how to get the twist relaxed, but a lot of the sites don't seem to really tell you what to do!! Help please!!
Monica
www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2008 :  9:01:08 PM  Show Profile
Yes, I use a niddy noddy and make a big old round loop (that will be a skein) and tie it in 4 places around the loop with small peices of yarn and then get it good and wet with warm water..washing it if the wool wasn't really clean or was dusty or whatever...and then squeeze out in a towel (you don't want to rough it up and end up with felt) and then I hang it on a line, or inside if it is winter..and weight it with something..like a sneaker hanging with the strings tied around the loop at the bottom..just to weight it. and let dry like that.
It really dosn't relax the twist (that comes with practice) but sets it.
Are you going to do a 2 ply yarn? I almost always do. It is easier to knit with and it does relax the twist since you are plying it together by spinning backwards.
I hope this helps. If I was'nt really clear (wouldn't be the first time) just let me know.
congratulations on your first yarn!!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 20 2008 :  08:47:20 AM  Show Profile
I ahve had some two tone natural colored cotton sitting here on my desk screaming for me to spin it. Too many orders ahead of it but soon. I might add my two cents on the twist issue - if you still have too much twist after plying wet the fiber when it is in the skein form hand to dry and you can tie with string a small plastic jug and then add water slowly to the jug until you see the twist start to relax. Put the cap on the jug and let the yarn dry. I would check it every hour just to make sure you are not stretching the yarn - but this really works. You will get the hang of the correct twist thru practice but do not be too hard on yourself the jug really corrects all evil.

Good luck and everyone spin something or someone todad.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:38:59 AM  Show Profile
Aunt Jenny and Grace, I thought I would show you what I have done so far if I can figure out the whole picture thing!!! I did get the materials yesterday to make a niddy noddy so I am excited about that! I spun some more last night and I think I am going to take it off soon. I do have another question. Where is a good place to get either dye of mordant? I think I would like to try more natural dyes. A friend of mine gave me a whole bag of wool Sunday so now I will be busy for a while and at the farmers market they also have a sheep that they rescued and I asked the guy about getting wool and he said it did need sheared so I am hoping to get some wool from him. Oh how fun life can be especially when it's just simple!!
Grace can you spin the silk cocoons ? The blue ones are so beautiful I am going to have to get some soon, that is if I ever get some more stuffon etsy and sell something! I guess i should go work.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 22 2008 :  08:58:24 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Wow Aunt Jenny! I love your house! It looks so warm and inviting! The Blue Streak looks amazing! I wish I had a spinning wheel! I saw one in the back of a pick up truck the other day and was wishing it was mine!

Alee
Farmgirl Sister #8
www.awarmheart.com
Please come visit Nora and me on our new blog:
www.farmgirlalee.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 25 2008 :  7:32:37 PM  Show Profile
Very Nice Monica!!
Thanks Alee! I had to fix a busted brake band on my spinning wheel today (15lb. test fishing line..which I didn't have on hand and had to make a special trip for) and have been spinning more this afternoon. I am almost half done spinning the blue streak!! It is going to make the nicest ragg socks!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  01:36:20 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i am so jealous! i will be trying my hand at spinning with a spindle but would sure love to have a spinning wheel! maybe someday *sigh* peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  07:24:25 AM  Show Profile
This is my 2 pence on Spindles vs Wheels. While I love my wheels for doing production work I have to say that I my first and true love are my drop spindles. I love the slower pace and rhythm of working with a spindle. I feel like I can pay closer attention to the fiber. When I have fiber that I feel is extra special I work it on a sindle so I can take my time and really enjoy the work. I can also walk around while spinning with a spindle so I don't feel so constrained.

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Imagine the view from the top of your dreams

www.getaclew.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  08:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Great Job Monica
Sorry it has taken so long to get back - just up to my eyeballs. The best advice I give students is remember Rome was not built in a day, you did not learn to walk the first time out and so give yourself time to learn this skill. How exciting about the sheep you will have to show pictures. As for the cocoons you can degumm them to get the fiber or many of us use the cocoons as an addition to our art yarns. I have been selling them since 2003 and each time I get to play with them I come up with something new. In fact the dye pots will be firing up to make about 2000 more along witht the silk rods.

Enjoy and keep those fingers moving.

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  10:25:21 AM  Show Profile
Christine...I wish I felt the same way about spindles..I struggle when I use one and find working with a wheel much much more relaxing. Great how everyone is so different, isn't it? I CAN spin with a spindle..and have several types..but like my wheel best.
I love those silk cocoons just to look at ..so pretty!! Maybe someday I will try the whole degumming thing.

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Shirley
True Blue Farmgirl

734 Posts

Shirley
Olympia Wa
USA
734 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  2:20:31 PM  Show Profile
Last week our spinning group had a dye day. We pot luck it and spin,dye,eat all day , when I left at 8pm there were still people there.
We meet at this members sheep farm, set up our stoves and pots and get to work. I just decided to spin all day because I havent spun for awhile(the fleeces are mounting up)
We sit under theses big trees and a nice breeze was blowing. It was very nice and lots visiting and eating.
Shirley In OlY wa
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  5:01:49 PM  Show Profile
Grace, I am going to have to get some of the cocoons as soon as I can. They are just so beautiful. I know my husband thinks I am nuts for getting started on one more thing, but it is so relaxing to spin and even though I really want someday to get a spinning wheel I like my drop spindle because it's easy to take along with me.
Jenny, I already checked out that shop you told me about and they have really good prices on the carders. I am thinking about getting some of the pima cotton still in the pods so I need to get some carders and some for the wool if I can get some from the guy in town. I wish their was a guild around here for anything . There are some quilting guilds, but it's still hard to get to with 3 kids and 25 miles from town. Oh well! I am so glad I have all of you ladies to "talk" with. If I ever meet Mary Jane some day I am going to give a big hug and thank you for starting this!!!
Monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 26 2008 :  9:46:50 PM  Show Profile
Shirley..you are so lucky to have a group like that!!! I would LOVE that!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  06:11:28 AM  Show Profile
What a wonderful sounding day. Even though it was hot, you didn't gripe and collapse on the couch (as I would have done!) but put your time to good use. Your wheel is beautiful; what a skill to have!

The Biz www.tvalahandmade.com
The Blog: http://blog.tvalahandmade.com/
The Bits www.happydalehobby.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

joyfulmama
True Blue Farmgirl

1175 Posts

Debra
Silver Springs NV
USA
1175 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  08:02:23 AM  Show Profile
I haven't spun in sooo long.. will get back to it after we move.. I did just give a bunch of raw wool to a young lady through freecycle. while she was here I gave her my drum carder too! Hubby could hardly believe it.. but now that I am also quilting and trying to sew more of my clothes (will do more after we move) I just don't have the time to card up all of my wool.. If I find a fabulous fleece I will either spin it up with out carding or send it to be processed. She was so thrilled.. It was fun to enable.
The last time I spun was on my spindles. I try to keep them all going with something so I can spin a little here and a little there.

Blessings, Debra

"Your life is an occasion, Rise to it." Mr Magorium..
http://myvintagehome.com
http://woolieacres.net
Go to Top of Page

DianaMT
Farmgirl in Training

46 Posts

Diana
Billings Montana
USA
46 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  10:36:16 PM  Show Profile
Hi All,

A newbie here, but I had to jump in on the spinning thread. On my spinning wheel (Polonaise) I have a blend of Targhee and Alpaca that I dyed a perwinkle color. I am spinning for mittens that I will knit this winter. I enjoy spinning in the evenings after my dh has gone to bed. The weather is cool and I can sit, relax and unwind before going to bed myself.

oldfashioned girl I also do natural dyes. Carol Leigh at HillCreek Fiber Studios is IMO a good place to order mordants and dyes from.

DianaMT
http://montanamadetradingpost.com/FiberJourney/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 27 2008 :  11:42:11 PM  Show Profile
Sounds beautiful Diana!!
I got 1/2 the cotton spun up now, and plyed and now to give myself a treat I am spinning up some wool in pinks and blues (brights not pastel)...it will become a little knit cap I think. When I finish that I will do the other 1/2 of the cotton..haha. I get distracted when I have to look at the same fiber for more than 8 oz!!!

Jenny in Utah
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  08:38:26 AM  Show Profile
Diane, Thank you for the info and welcome from sunny Arizona!! I have a question for you all. The dye on the wool I am spinning is coming of on my fingers and I am wondering if after I wash it if it keeps coming of how can I set it? It's bright pink!!! I had wanted to make some knit flowers with it and if I would sell any of them I sure don't want dye to come of on someones clothes or something!!! HELP!!!
I forgot to ask, has anyone ever used dog brushes to card wool. I read somewhere that you could but I was wondering if they work well. I want to get carders, but I can't afford them right now.

Aunt Jenny, I actually did find a spinning guild in Kingman! It's about 30 miles from where I live, but everything is far from where I live. I don't know how often I would be able to meet with them, but I am going to get in touch with them. I am so excited!!!!

Monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 28 2008 08:54:41 AM
Go to Top of Page

Suzan
True Blue Farmgirl

659 Posts

suzanne
duncannon pa
USA
659 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  08:52:25 AM  Show Profile
Where/how did you all learn to spin? I would love to learn.
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Brenda
True Blue Farmgirl

168 Posts

Brenda
Boerne Texas
USA
168 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  08:59:32 AM  Show Profile
Jenny,
After responding to your post on my rug hooking thread I saw where you were here. I have a spinning wheel collecting dust and hope to take a spinning class in Fredericksburg, TX this fall! My neighbor who taught me rug hooking is also a spinner. I am going to go check out your blog right now...

Brenda
Farmgirl Sister #292
Go to Top of Page

oldfashioned girl
True Blue Farmgirl

2391 Posts

monica
oatman az
USA
2391 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2008 :  09:01:15 AM  Show Profile
Suzanne, I just learned about 1 1/2 weeks ago. I have a drop spindle and I found directions at www.graftonfibers.com I don't have a spinning wheel but I would love to get one some day. It is so relaxing to do. I just love it.
Monica

www.justducky48.etsy.com

Edited by - oldfashioned girl on Jul 28 2008 09:02:28 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic spinning cotton today Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page