naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  6:20:47 PM  Show Profile
This year has been a strange year for vegetable gardening. Besides my squash and cucumber basically dying off, my string bean plants are barely producing any string beans. it is so strange.

Last year I had more beans than we could eat, and I have not even been able to pick 20 beans this year! I dont get it. It there something in the air? I've never had this problem before. It is disappointing, as gardening is my passion.

My tomatoes and herbs, eggplants and peppers seem fine-even though it seemed to take them forever to be ready to pick.

Anyone else had this problem?
Connie

http://flowerchild-lifeinthegarden.blogspot.com/
Also visit my online store @ www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products, including soaps, salves, salts, lip balms, lotion bars, and much more!

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  11:09:46 PM  Show Profile
I'm in Louisiana, Connie, and we planted tomatoes, okra, parsely, onion tops. My tomatoes are finished, just faded away, and the okra stalks look like giant needles. I'm wondering the same thing, what is going on.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  03:15:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Marly,
someone mentioned in another post about the dwindling bee population, could be. I know i have seen bees, but maybe thats it?

Also visit my online store @ www.NatureMaiden.com -Handcrafted Bath & Body Products, including soaps, salves, salts, lip balms, lotion bars, and much more!
Go to Top of Page

bbteacher
True Blue Farmgirl

134 Posts

Bonnie
BALTIMORE Maryland
USA
134 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  7:28:42 PM  Show Profile
Connie,

I'm in Maryland. My beans haven't done as well this year either. At the beginning of the season, got lots-now, I'm getting very few beans. The squash didn't do as well-tomatoes, I have a million! But so many are green (I'll be making relish and jam with these if they don't ripen.) My beets did very well, carrots so-so and the peas did nothing. Lettuce and spinach were great and I've put in a second planting of cold weather veggies. Hopefully they will do o.k. My flowers have done well, the grapes just so-so, and our apple trees are light. I agree with you that the lack of bees could be affecting our gardens. We grow 4 varieties of mint and in past years, I have a friend who raises bees and he put a bee skip in our mint because we had so many bees in the garden. Now, I see very few bees.

Bonnie
Go to Top of Page

naturemaiden
True Blue Farmgirl

2569 Posts

Connie - Farmgirl #673
Hoosick Falls NY
USA
2569 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  03:32:06 AM  Show Profile
Hi Bonnie,
i didnt get peas either. Last year I had an abundance of everything. It is unnerving. I hope next year is better. I also harvest seed from my gardens, dont think I will be doing much of that either :(
Connie

Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic String Beans not producing Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page