cathy cobblestone
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

cathy
greensburg ky
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  10:59:26 AM  Show Profile
Just wonderin' if you all knew of any solution for powdery mildew. My zinnias are my most favorite flower of all - they have been beautiful this year. But jus' like every year about this time - those mildew spots start to appear. Seems like once it starts there is no stopping it. Has anybody had any luck keeping this problem in check? Thanks for the help - have a blessed day.
Cathy

www.cobblestonefarms.blogspot.com

Today is a gift, live it!

Pavla
Farmgirl in Training

22 Posts

Pavla
Grandville MI
USA
22 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  12:50:30 PM  Show Profile
Well, at our nursery we have problems with the powdery stuff too and this year it seems to especially bad for us, most likely due to the nightly rainfall we have been receiving. Sometimes there really is not much you can do about it, some plants are just very prone. But my number one suggestion is to always make sure to water in the morning. Many plants will develop fungus if the water is allowed to sit on the leaf all night in the cool and dark. Watering in the morning will allow the leaves to dry quicker thus giving the fungus less chance to grow. Even better actually would be to not water overhead at all, but instead water at the base of the plant or use a soaker hose so the leaves don't get wet at all. Also, do your zinnias have enough room to breath? Sometimes if they are too close they will not get enough air circulation and fungus will develop. Sometimes it helps to thin them out a bit so they get enough air. Lastly, and I have not tried this myself, I have heard that adding 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a gallon of water and then spraying the plants is supposed to help. Like I said though, sometimes nothing works! It's just a pesky and very common problem. I had a whole crop of black eyed susans (over 1000 plants!) that had to have all of their foliage removed because of mildew. 'Goldsturm,' one of the most common black eyed susans in these parts, are fairly prone to this issue. Anyway, sorry to ramble. Hope that helps!!
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  12:59:16 PM  Show Profile
Cathy -- Oh, yes, powdery mildew! I don't grow zinnias (except for Z. angustifolia) because of it. I'm also careful to plant only mildew-resistant phlox. Most summers, we have high humidity in the evenings and the mildew just is rampant. This year, I'm seeing just a touch of it on some petunias and on some verbena bodnariensis.

I use Safer fungicide spray, which is sulphur-based. It's good to use as a preventative or on a weekly basis once the problem begins. I really soak-spray the leaves, top and bottom.

I agree with Pavla, too, about avoiding late afternoon/night watering, and about having good air movement around the plants. Even with these practices, though, certain plants are just plain susceptible and will have some mildew.

And zinnias are such beautiful flowers and such butterfly-magnets! I'm sorry that I don't grow them. Good luck with yours.

www.youaretoocreative.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  1:43:00 PM  Show Profile
I had a mildew problem with my roses early in the season. In Jerry Baker's garden book "Backyard Problem Solver" there is a recipe for Powdery mildew. I tried it and it really DID work-- maybe it will work for you too Cathy.

Here's the recipe: mix 2 tblsp Murphy's oil soap, 4 tblsp baking soda and 1 gallon of warm water together. Use a spray bottle to spray the solution all over the plants, including underneath, drenching the leaves. (the book says the OLDEST leaves are ususally the ones that get the mildew first) The book suggests spraying the tonic every two weeks STARTING as soon as the weather warms up in late Spring. The recipe was originally used on Phlox, but I'm sure it would work just as well for your Zinnias. Good luck!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page

cathy cobblestone
True Blue Farmgirl

194 Posts

cathy
greensburg ky
USA
194 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  3:22:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for all the tips farmgirls - I will try and mix up that recipe. My zinnias are just planted along the edge of my garden - I don't even water them - except for what God gives them - that's it. I probably do have them planted a tad to thick - I jus' think "the more the merrier"! Anyway, I'm gonna enjoy them as long as I can 'cause they just make me SOOOOO happy! Everyone have a blessed weekend! Cathy

www.cobblestonefarms.blogspot.com

Today is a gift, live it!
Go to Top of Page

DairySue
True Blue Farmgirl

67 Posts

Sue
Connecticut
67 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  3:28:04 PM  Show Profile
I've used milk on my african violets for powedery mildew. I never thought of using it in the outside garden, as I figured it would be expensive. I found the following recipe online and think I'll give it a try. (9 parts water to 1 part milk)
http://www.pioneerthinking.com/tv-mildew.html

Sue in CT
http://frumsglassmenagerie.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2008 :  3:36:30 PM  Show Profile
Good to see another fan of Jerry Baker. He has the most unique cures for everything. Just wish he had something to take care of the broadleaf grass invading my back yard.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page

shepherdgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1008 Posts

Tracy
California
USA
1008 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  10:39:09 PM  Show Profile
There IS a cure for that broadleaf problem Betty-- a shovel, a strong back, and a kid who has BOTH!! LOL!!!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away. ~~ George Carlin
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Any "fix" for Powdery Mildew? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page