Author Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Musicians in the House? Next Topic
Page: of 2

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  2:32:32 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Howdy! Do you play clarinet? guitar, kazoo, piano? pots and pans with an egg whisk and a wooden spoon in your kitchen? Do you / Have you ever made your own musical instrument? Tell me about it!

I sing all the time, my grandma taught me to sing before I could even say words! haha, wish I had a recording of THAT!

I play a little guitar, tambourine, zithers when I'm bellydancing, but I really LOVE the autoharp and my little mountain dulcimer.

Just got an amazing old piano that's still in tune and everything for $60 from a thrift store that raises money for a local orphanage - I don't really "play" piano, but I sure do love to pretend I can! I love to mess around with pianos and keyboards - who needs structure to make lovely music?! If it sounds good, that's good enough for me! We collect weird instruments, use them for all sorts of cool things.

My huband plays guitar, drums, sings, and we have band together (just the 2 of us, and sometimes a guest musician) and a small studio where we record what we like to call "Farm Punk" music Ü it's rock/blues/country/funk and sometimes something else entirely.. just whatever's fun!

and we're currently working on several building projects: he's going to make banjoes from scratch - tanning his own hide, cutting a young hickory to make hoops, etc. We're also circuit-bending a kid's keyboard.

And we're making little thumb pianos (kalimbas): anyone have a young child who would be interested in making a thumb piano? it can be really easy and fun, or harder if you get creative with the materials! Ü

http://www.satisfied-mind.com/make/thumb-piano.htm
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2007/05/10/reimagined-diy-thumb-pianos-amplified-electrified-and-with-faux-fur/

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran

Edited by - tempestastrali on Aug 16 2008 3:25:06 PM

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  3:11:44 PM  Show Profile
I was never really musically inclined when it came to instruments. I could sing, but that seems to be suffering now with age :( I had an uncle who could play anything he picked up. My sister is the same way and it appears my dd has inherited that trait as well.

I would love to learn piano and violin, but I've just never taken any serious time to learn it. Many years ago, someone tried teaching me piano in his spare time (15 minutes here and there) but I just couldn't remember where middle "C" was on the keys and he always wanted me to start there. I got frustrated and gave up.

Farmgirl Sister #35

"If you can not do great things, do small things in a great way." Napoleon Hill (1883-1970)

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  3:15:18 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Never give up! Try to make at least one song a day out of household activities! I've taken up knitting lately, and I've been drumming with my homemade knitting needles!
Try singing to the key of the washing machine or dryer or vacuum, finding melody in the tinking of the dishes in the sink while you wash them.. the sound of the earth turning is music itself!

My great-grandfather Dominic, from Czechoslavakia, played fiddle/violin like a virtuoso! He died when I was only 3 or 4, so I only remember tiny things about him like swatting him on the head with a big plastic spoon my great-grandma Pearl used in her kitchen! Ü

but one of my grandfather and father's favorite stories to tell about him is how he would play violin at night by the fireplace and cry.

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran

Edited by - tempestastrali on Aug 16 2008 3:24:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

nubidane
True Blue Farmgirl

2897 Posts

Lisa
Georgetown OH
2897 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  4:08:29 PM  Show Profile
Music major in college, Miami University of OH, degree in Mus Ed. (currently a real estate appraiser so not really utilizing the degree), but taught flute & guitar privately for 20+ years, taught parochial school band & many sectional woodwind type groups,worked in music store for about 15 yrs, currently hubby & I play in an old time cornet band. He plays drums & me piccolo/flute. Chops are definitely not what they used to be, but the reading part never goes away, & can still read complicated rhythms without much trouble. The technique though...GAH!! Hard to practice those 4+ hrs a day when working full time (& having 2 dogs that absolutely FREAK at the sound of my piccolo)
We have a lot of fun though, we particularly love the old timers & believe me they are old.. we have 2 that are 90+. It has been a huge influence on hubby, who used to be a major hard rock fan & now listens to patriotic CDs (esp John WIlliams, who is great, but EVERY NIGHT??..)& last night was listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir belt out Battle Hymn.
Magedelina, it sounds like you guys are having a great time, & music is such a universal gift, we that have even the slightest musical ability should share & encourage others to join in.
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  4:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Amen, nubidane!

I have dogs too, 2 of them exciteable cocker spaniels, so I can imagine what they're reaction to a piccolo would be! haha

hard rock to John Williams, that's quite the jump! I can relate though, we listen to everything from baroque and classical to weird 60's synth and Beatles, to Johnny Cash and June Carter, to Seattle grunge and punk, to .. Moody Blues Ü I am soooo thankful my family introduced me to music early!

Thanks for your interesting response! I enjoyed it immensely

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  5:54:23 PM  Show Profile
You sound like such a fun person Magdelina!! (pretty name!!) I am so NOT musical..but I do love music. My four youngest kids..the ones still at home (I have 3 grown boys too) are all musical and I love that! Oldest daughter, who is almost 14 plays flute (2 years so far and she is very good) and piano (on her 5th year and doing a concerto now!) and 12 year old son has played trumpet for a year so far..and I can even make out what songs he plays finallY!! I love it! 11 year old daughter has played piano for 3 years and will be starting violin this next week when school starts, youngest son (also 11) plays piano and will start his second year soon. We have an old antique piano in the living room that I bought from shirttail relatives a few years ago...our house is always ringing with music...
They will love the idea of the thumb piano..can't wait to show them the instructions and the little video..very cool!! Thanks!!

Jenny in Utah
Proud Farmgirl sister #24
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  6:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Glad you will pass it along to your talented children! I hope they enjoy the project - it makes me so happy to hear about children getting the opportunity and encouragement to be musicians.

I always find and think of so many awesome projects for kids, I need to have some and stay one! I'll be sure and share any and all ideas with the Farm Girls

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  7:18:53 PM  Show Profile
I played flute from elementary school through high school. I was terrible! I could always whistle my parts better than I could play them on the instrument. I'm glad I learned to read music, though. And one other important thing I learned from playing in the school band: how to jump back in after flubbing a bunch of notes. These days I play bass in a punk band. Not sure that makes me a musician ;) But I am using that sense of timing!

My husband is the real musician in the family. He plays drums, guitar, sings and operates the recording gear. He's big into analog tape decks.

We got a used piano this past year, and we look forward to taking lessons when we get around to getting the piano tuned. Maybe this winter will be the year...
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  7:27:37 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
wow, amie, sounds like we have a lot in common! We made up a genre we call "Farm Punk" but it's basically.. lots of other genres all with a punk twist to it. We have lots of recordings,
I play (or just make weird noises on) various instruments, and my husband plays drums and guitar and such (we share vocals).

He's the gearhead, but I do what I can. We use analog tape all the time! We also build microphones, preamps, and are about to circuit bend an old kid's sk-1 keyboard - if you don't know about circuit bending, you should check it out!

Do you or your husband ever get on the Tape-Op message boards? You can also subscribe to Tape Op magazine totally free!

http://tapeop.com/

http://www.circuitbenders.co.uk/

quote:

Edited by - tempestastrali on Aug 16 2008 7:28:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  7:35:08 PM  Show Profile
Hello there! I play clarinet. I played all through middle school (I went to a band middle school), and high school. I stopped for a few years but this year I enrolled in my university's band! I also played alto sax but no longer do.

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  7:41:00 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
My best friend in Jr. High played clarinet, I used to love to listen to her practice!

We were in New Orleans recently for my grandpa's funeral, and he LOVED jazz, so we went and saw this awesome jazz band to commemorate.

The clarinet/sax player was amazing - at one point he made a joke about how he puts together all his instruments from old and refurbished ones. He said "this clarinet came to me in pieces. I put it together good, but every once in awhile it falls back apart" then started playing. through the song, he started taking his clarinet apart one piece at a time so that by the end, he played this weird crazy awesome solo on just the mouth piece!

Congrats on the new badge by the way!

Go to Top of Page

miss wilma
True Blue Farmgirl

3410 Posts

Wilma
Knob Lick Ky
USA
3410 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  7:49:56 PM  Show Profile
Magdelina, I sure wish you could come up for our farmgirl gathering we will be having music, I know everyone would love it if you could give some lessons. Do you think it would be possible Miss Wilma

Farm Girl #96

http://www.picturetrail.com/misswilmasplace

http://misswilma.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  8:59:35 PM  Show Profile
I play piano, guitar, and drums. I have two degrees in Music Theory & Composition. I teach music in the local schools, but took some time off.
Marly
Go to Top of Page

lacisne88
True Blue Farmgirl

1181 Posts

Chelsey
Lake Stevens Washington
USA
1181 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:11:26 PM  Show Profile
Thanks so much for the congrats Magdelina! Have a great night!

Chelsey
Farmgirl Sister #283

http://farmgirlpleasures.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  06:58:38 AM  Show Profile
I play the Saxaphone. When I was in HS I made first chair in the all-state band all 4 years. I played at Dartmouth College for President Clinton when he spoke at graduation. I was an honorary memered of the US Air force Jazz Band and spent a summer touring New England with them. I recieved a college scholarship for music but turned it down to pursue an art degree. I still play when I can and have been giving lessons to my best friends son.

Farmgirl Sister #17
Blog
www.willowtreecreek.wordpress.com
Felt and Fabric Crafts
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  10:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
wow, that's quite the list of musical accomplishments!

Go to Top of Page

dutchy
True Blue Farmgirl

4427 Posts

4427 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  10:19:21 AM  Show Profile
I sing in a gospel choir from church, and I used to play the organ quite a bit.
Not any more though, been years since I last played the black and whites :D

(Only Elvis is a black kitten :) )

http://princess-of-pink-creations.blogspot.com/
my new BLOG
Go to Top of Page

Bellepepper
True Blue Farmgirl

1207 Posts

Belle
Coffeyville KS
USA
1207 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  12:54:05 PM  Show Profile
I played piano and sang in the high school and church choir. Now I only play and sing when NOBODY is around. My sister and I went to Branson several years back and we both bought
dalsimers (sp). We practiced till our fingres were raw. haven't played since. Both our sons play gitar. We always have music when they are here.
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  4:33:41 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
I was in the choir at school for five years - we sang at a lot of churches and had a lot of concerts. It was so much fun! I especially liked the challenge of a capella numbers!

Yes, dulcimers are fairly simple to learn but are a lot of fun! I just got one in Georgia on my trip to pick up a loom in NC, it was hand-crafted. The great thing about dulcimers is.. you can play in just about whatever key you want to without a lot of hassle retuning and stuff- great accompaniment instruments!

Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  08:58:13 AM  Show Profile
Magdelina, my husband loves TapeOp. He's interested in modified gear (for instance, Michael Jolie's microphones), but he hasn't gotten into doing any of that himself yet. He's just learning to fix his tape decks. We've been trying since last year to complete a new cd, but the gear keeps breaking down. I guess you have to expect it when everything you own is 30 years old

Check out his myspace page. If you like "farm punk" you might like our music.

www.myspace.com/therealandysmash
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  10:59:56 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
I play a flute. sometimes I'll dig it out and play for awhile, but no serious playing lately. I've had it since the 6th grade! My daughters both played flute in school too. I tried clarinet once, violin, and bassoon. All were nice, but the flute is still dear to my heart.

Crafty Bay Farmgirl Chapter

"What doesn't kill you will only make you stronger"

Farmgirl #152

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kelly Wall
True Blue Farmgirl

430 Posts

Kelly
Apison TN
USA
430 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  11:22:40 AM  Show Profile
Just one 10 yr old boy who loves rock music learning to play the ELECTRIC GUITAR!! :)

Kelly
Farmgirl #238
Go to Top of Page

Lainey
True Blue Farmgirl

2401 Posts

Elaine
Waco Kentucky
USA
2401 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  11:30:06 AM  Show Profile
I love music and I've been singing as long as I can remember. I was in chorus all through school and was a music major (Vocal Performance) in college. At one time I wanted to make a career of it, but it didn't work out. I sang for weddings/funerals/charity events during my teens, 20s, and 30s. I don't get the opportunity to sing much these days, except for karaoke every now and then. But I still love it. I had the opportunity to write some songs with a friend a few years ago. We collaborated on about 11 songs but only recorded two. He passed away earlier this year.

I still sing in the car and at home and maybe someday will get back into performing. When I was younger I wanted to sing on Broadway.

Farmgirl Sister #25

http://countrygirldreams.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

fiddlegirl89
True Blue Farmgirl

232 Posts

Kayla
Dunnville KY
USA
232 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  2:21:24 PM  Show Profile  Send fiddlegirl89 an AOL message  Send fiddlegirl89 a Yahoo! Message
I play fiddle, guitar, a little mandolin, and a little dulcimer. My Dad and one of my younger brothers both play banjo, Mom plays piano and a little guitar, and another brother plays mandolin and harmonica. Youngest brother doesn't know what he wants to play yet! I can't play piano at all, and last year I decided I wanted to learn Rhonda a la Turca, by Mozart. My step-grandmother teaches piano, so she showed me what to do (I don't read music at all) and I learned about half the song. I think she got tired of working on that one!
I also have taught fiddle in the past, but I'm not into that right now.

http://www.custerfamilyfarm.com
Go to Top of Page

lilwing
True Blue Farmgirl

1403 Posts

Brooke
Fulshear Texas
USA
1403 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2008 :  8:40:03 PM  Show Profile  Send lilwing a Yahoo! Message
Hi!! I sing and my husband plays the guitar ..I grew up in a musical family (My mom and dad had a duo back in the day..) and my brother is a drummer... my husband and brother are in a band. .. it's so great to see all of you that are musically inclined!

(if you'd like to hear my music... click on my brooke alyson myspace link!)

~~~~
"The Higher the Hair, The Closer to Jesus!" - Paula Deen

http://maggie.ecrater.com
http://maggiemerch.blogspot.com
http://www.myspace.com/hh_reiki
http://www.myspace.com/brookealyson
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Aug 19 2008 :  03:06:09 AM  Show Profile
I played flute for 10+ years Wasn't all that good but enjoyed band and marching band

Have no real desire to pick it up again I'm one of those who plays by ear so reading music is hard

both my parents are musically inclined Maaa played clairnet and Dad still plays trumpet if asked

wish I could play guitar

as a consequence, I have an appreciation for all kinds of music
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Any Musicians in the House? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page