Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Finding a hobby for the craft challenged:))
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Finding a hobby for the craft challenged:)) Next Topic  

divalicious
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

rebecca
Salinas CA
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  1:41:07 PM  Show Profile
Hi everyone,
My name is Rebecca and I could use all the help I can get. You see I am craft challenged as I like to call it. I know that I need a hobby and am really interested in quilting but not quite sure where to begin. I have tried crocheting in the past but cannot seem to get past a single crochet on a good day and that is with my daughter's help.
I have no clue where to start, what to do or where to go. I am open to any type of stitching or crafting and just note I do not have a sewing machine so my projects would be by hand.
TIA,
Rebecca

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  1:47:03 PM  Show Profile
I would like to suggest that you try embroidery. It is a nice relaxing craft that is easy to master.
here is a website with a video library showing the different stitches:
http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/06/hand-embroidery-patterns.html

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  2:51:15 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca:
I understand your situation. I would love to begin a quilt. I've tried countless times. But, I refuse to give up. So, don't give up. Try embroidery, or sewing a square pillow by hand. At least we are trying and thinking about doing it.
LOL
Marly
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2277 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2277 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  2:52:30 PM  Show Profile
Yes -- do try embroidery. In addition to being easy and relaxing it's also about the most inexpensive hobby around and it's very portable-- you can do it anywhere.

Happiness is Homemade
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  3:48:30 PM  Show Profile
Rebecca, is there a local quilt shop that you can go to? Most offer classes. You too Marly! If not there may be a local quilt guild around and members may be willing to offer you their expertise. There's a knitting gal here who teaches regular classes but if you can't get to one, she will gladly help you out for 10$ an hour...there might be someone near you as well! Tina and Judith are right though, embroidery is an easy way to get into stitching!
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:06:53 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
Have you tried making bead jewelry? wire-wrapping is really easy and fun, and can make some pretty swirly designs.

Beading is fun too! All you need is yarn or twine or hemp rope or embroidery thread and some beads!

I actually have one necklace and a pair of earrings I made in my etsy shop (which is still severely "under construction" so don't laugh!) but you can take a look to get an idea of a couple really simple ways to make jewelry.

http://tempestastrali.etsy.com

Also, a simple apron would be very easy to hand sew! It's just cutting some retangles and sewing a couple hems really. That could even be an opportunity to try emroidering - make a fancy pocket for it!

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:08:59 PM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
oo ooo ooo! sachets! I used to make them with my grandmother as a little girl. Just cut squares of different very thin lightweight fabrics, about 10" by 10". Put a favorite scent of potpourri in the center, pull up the corners, tie with some ribbon or string, and place in your dresser drawers and closets for a nice light smell!

"How strange that Nature does not knock, and yet does not intrude!" Emily Dickinson
"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." ~ ~Kahlil Gibran
Go to Top of Page

acairnsmom
True Blue Farmgirl

1319 Posts

audrey
cheyenne wy
1319 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  10:20:48 PM  Show Profile
I agree that your best bet would be to locate a quilt shop and take a basic quilting class. All of the ones here offer either a demonstration type class where you don't need to purchase any of the tools but can use the shop tools or they off a beginning quilting class where you bring your own tools and they help you with fabric selection and teach you how to put the blocks together.

If you don't have a quilt shop nearby you might want to check out www.qnntv.com.

Jenny Byers is a quilt author who is known for hand piecing and quilting so you might want to check out some of her books. And Eleanor Burns from Quilt in A Day has many, easy to read books for a beginning quilter.

Toto, we're not in Kansas any more!
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  11:48:38 PM  Show Profile
most quilt shops also offer basic sewing classes on the machines...so that way you can gets hands on experience on how to use a sewing machine as well.
Ask for some beginner classes and go from there..pretty soon you'll be on your way to making that quilt.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
visit me at:
http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/
and at www.stliving.net
you can also check out my etsy shops at:http://GardenGooseGifts.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

StarMeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

940 Posts

T
MI
940 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  06:00:43 AM  Show Profile
OK, it's not a sewing "craft" but what about making paper? I think that's pretty fun! Not only can you make flat paper for cards/stationary and the like but you can "cast" it as well. You can use cookie/chocolate molds for that too. I cast paper with my sons one Christmas as gifts for our family. I borrowed my friends collection of cookie molds and we poured paper, let it dry, painted some with watercolors, added ribbons and voila' Christmas ornaments!

I also do beadwork. Addicting!!!!
Go to Top of Page

tempestastrali
True Blue Farmgirl

71 Posts

magdelina
mississippi
71 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  10:33:42 AM  Show Profile  Send tempestastrali an AOL message
yes beadwork IS addicting.. and making paper is a great way to reuse and recycke at home! you'd be surprised all the stuff you can use.. even dryer lint Ü

Go to Top of Page

MagnoliaWhisper
True Blue Farmgirl

2817 Posts

Heather
Haysville Kansas
USA
2817 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  12:57:06 PM  Show Profile
When I first read your post, I thought embroidery! I so agree with those who suggested that. It's really the easiest craft that there is. And as was said also the cheapest! And one of the things I like about it, is the end result can be used. (pillow cases, towels, etc).

I would suggest starting out with pillow cases, the material is very easy to embroider, compared to towels.

You can get iron patterns at several places, Walmart even used to sell them, but not any more. But, Hancocks, Hobby Lobby, and JoAnn's does.

You can buy any pillow cases you like. I like at least 250 thread count though! If not more.

You can get thread at many places for it. I like to watch the paper for sales. But, Micheal's, AC Moore, Hancock's, Hobby Lobby, JoAnn's and many more stores sell it. I even heard some ACE Hardware stores sell it! The most used thread seems to be DMC floss.

Walmart even used to sell embroidery kits! (pillow cases, bible covers, etc). However, they no longer do. I know for sure that Hobby Lobby, and Michael's still sells them though. Hobby Lobby has the pillow cases, and Michael's mainly has table runners. But, that may be a way to get a start, and to see if you like it, with out having to buy a lot of stuff.

Most people use between 2 and 3 strands of thread when doing the actual stitching. I bet you can find some one to teach you, if you need help.

AC Moore has quilted bags for 8 to 10 dollars. That's what I use to tote all my embroidery stuff around to take it where ever I go. I also tote around my cross stitch in it. What ever project I am working on, I just pack it up in the bag, and off I go. Any where I am, I can embroider. At the airport, at the mechanic, in the car, waiting on hubby doing what ever, heck even while I pump breast milk! lol haha

http://www.wolfprncez.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2008 :  1:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
Cross-stitching--they have basic beginner kits at all the major crafty stores.

Heather

Yee-Haw, I am a cowgirl!!!

FARMGIRL #90
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Finding a hobby for the craft challenged:)) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page