Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 yet another weavign question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic yet another weavign question Next Topic  

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 03 2008 :  10:39:42 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
when warping my little lap loom i have a problem keeping the threads evenly tight when i roll them up on the end bar. is there a secret to doing this?? peace connie in alaska

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  11:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Do you put anything in between the layers of yarn as you wind onto the back? I use layers of paper. This picture shows the paper on my loom coming off the back

The layers of paper help keep the tension even.

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Imagine the view from the top of your dreams

www.getaclew.blogspot.com

Edited by - Cheekyredhead on Jul 04 2008 11:43:52 AM
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2008 :  3:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i hadnt done that. how do you get it to wind up with the thread? i used about 36 inches for the belt i have going, but if i were making something longer i dont see how it is done. remember that my loom only does quite coarse threads. does it help to use more the center of the loom? thanks much! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Cheekyredhead
True Blue Farmgirl

70 Posts

Christine
Lansdale PA
USA
70 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  2:19:00 PM  Show Profile
Sorry its taken me so long to reply to you. Yes try to keep your threads in the center of the loom. I use long strips of paper I cut from paper grocery bags and then roll the warp threads with the paper underneath. Do you think you could post a picture of the loom your useing so I could get a better idea of how you should be warping it?

TTFN
Cheeky
Sister #243

Imagine the view from the top of your dreams

www.getaclew.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2008 :  3:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i will post a pic to you just as soon as i get MY computer back. the one i am using doesnt have my photo program on it. i am gonna try warping it for a new project. will let you knwo how it turns out! thanks so much for your help and will post that pic soon as i can! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  06:53:17 AM  Show Profile
Connie, did you get your loom warped OK now? I would also suggest you warp in the center and are you tying on at the front going to the back or are you going from the back to the front? The thick paper is important to keep the threads from falling down into the previous layer. Also when tying on I start in the middle of the rod and tye a half knot and tye a few warp threads on each side of the center...going back and forth until I have the entire warp threads tyed, when I am all done I tighten all 1/2 knots so they are all at the same tension....then I tye the rest of the square knot. Clear as mud???? I know until I started doing this...since I was self taught...I had problems like you are describing.

www.coffmanspinningcfarm.blogspot.com

A woman is like a teabag - you never know how strong she is until she gets
into hot water. Eleanor Roosevelt.
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  07:31:13 AM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
sarita please tell me you tought yourself to use that huge loom on your blog??? i fought like crazy with my little rigid hettle loom but dream of someday being able to waeve like that! of course i would have to build a whole cabin to do it in since it would take up more space than i could find in this tiny cabin if i threw out everythign else! lol. i did actually get the loom warped and the project completed i made a simple bag that i use for a purse/knitting bag. i warped it from the back to the front. i want to warp it yet again this time using 2 threads together hoping to get a bit tighter weave. i just about have my hubby talked into letting me join the weavers and spinners guild in town where i can for a very minimal fee have the use of spinning wheels and looms as well as have hands on help most anytime! i have also found a lady who will sell me a small, brand new loom like thisone http://www.fiber2yarn.com/catalog.php?item=1210 on payments for only $400! it will take me a while to pay for it but when i get it i can only imagine the fun i will have! i will try to get pics of my bag to post here.
peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  12:10:04 PM  Show Profile
Connie,congratulations on getting that first project done. I read books and got a DVD by Debbie Chancler that I watched. It is a wonderful learning tool. I also have a table top loom, an upright tapestry loom, and a large triangle loom. I think my big Toika is the easiest to operate. You need to go join that group so you can use the spinning wheel to spin, especially wool for some thick warm socks and felted hats and mittens. Sooooo warm. I spin thick wool yarn, then knit socks that look way too big, felt them to my size...you have to stand right by the wash machine and keep pulling them out and trying them on when you are felting. Nothing like sitting by a warm fire with stew on the stove and spinning your own yarn. I am selling a smaller Toika for $150, too bad the shipping is so high to get it to you...it takes up quite a bit of room too but the back folds up. It came in the package deal with the big Toika and the Toika tapestry loom and table loom. They were all together and looked like a stack of boards, we really didn't even know what we had until we got home. The looms filled the back of our truck and we had to figure out what pieces went to what loom. It took us many days to put them together and then longer to get the warping done on all of them.

Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  5:48:18 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
sarita, how big is that loom?? i wonder what the shipping would be? do you have a pic of it? i just might be interested! peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  8:37:57 PM  Show Profile
Connie, I just got a call from a lady that is coming tomorrow...if she doesn't take it, I will get you more infomation. You can see what it looks like by going to the Toika web site. It looks like the Laila.

Go to Top of Page

Bear5
True Blue Farmgirl

13055 Posts

Louisiana/Texas
USA
13055 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  8:41:05 PM  Show Profile
Gee, I wish I could do that. Wishful thinking. The only way I'd learn is to actually see it done. I'd love to see some of the products y'all make on this loom. This fascinates me!
Marly
Go to Top of Page

eskimobirdlady
True Blue Farmgirl

700 Posts

connie
fairbanks ak
USA
700 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  8:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Send eskimobirdlady a Yahoo! Message
i looked a that loom and love it!! if she doesnt take it we need to find out what the shipping would be! i will build another room if i have to just for it! lol peace connie in alaska
Go to Top of Page

Keeper of the Past
True Blue Farmgirl

925 Posts

Sarita
Battle Creek Michigan
USA
925 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2008 :  8:48:43 PM  Show Profile
Marly if you get Debbie Chanler's DVD, you could watch it over and over and weaving is very simple or it can be very complicated...I am into the simple weaving. Maybe this winter when the snow is blowing, I will sit down and put on a more complicated project. As you can see on my blog, the rug is very simple and goes pretty fast with the thicker weight yarns. It is so soft to stand on. The purses our a little more complicated but still very simple. You can do it!

Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic yet another weavign question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page